World Ten Spider-Man questions

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
On the back of my Superman and Batman Ten Questions thread here's one for another one of the icons in Comics.

1) What's Your Earliest Memory of Spider-Man?

Watching the 90s cartoon series, it aired on a shiw here in the UK called Live and Kicking.

2) What's Your Favourite Spider-Man comics story?

I haven't rwad too much Spider-Man been a DC guy but I did enjoy the Season One graphic novel.

3) Which Spider-Man film is your favourite?

The Amazing Spider-Man

4) Why is that film your favourite?

Because it wasn't goofy like the the Raimi films and the casting was much better.

5) Who is Your Spider-Man? (live action or animated)

Andrew Garfield nailed it, he was very much like the animated portrayal for me.

6) Which of Spiderman's villains is your favourite?

Venom, loved him so much on the animated series in the 90s. Thought he was cooler than Spider-Man tbh.

7) What's been the best animated depiction of Spider-Man?

Even though my Spider-Man journey started with the 90s series, the Spectacular Spider-Nan series, along with its catchy theme really nailed what I think is an almost perfect Spider-Man universe. Its just a shame it was cut short,

8) Do you like the look if Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Yes and no, parts of the trailer look amazing other parts remind me too much of Raimi's Spider-Man. I am really hopeful they haven't lost what they did so well in the first film.

9) Do you want Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man to show up in a future Avengers or any other Marvel Studios property?

Personally I think Marvel studios has enough on their plate, I'd rather the Spidey universe was kept separate.

10) Gwen Stacey or Mary Jane?

I would have said Mary Jane back in the day but because of Emma Stone I gotta go with Gwen.

I really enjoy these, keep up the good work!

1) Spider-Man: TAS from the 90's. I've also known the "does whatever a spider can" song.

2) I know some hate it, but I loved Ultimate Spidey up to #160.

#3 Either Amazing Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

#4 Spider-Man 2 because it was a tight cohesive, and most importantly great story with room for future films, and the action sequences were superb. Amazing Spider-Man because it was a little more down to Earth and Peter was more Peter in that one car scene than the majority of Raimi's trilogy.

5) Gonna have to go with Garfield here.

6) It's a real toss up here between Goblin and Ock. I just can't decide, they're both too great for me to choose.

7) Spectacular Spider-Man, no contest.

8) I'd say either this or Cap is looking like the best of 2014. Going by the trailers, they didn't exactly show any substance as to why Electro goes rogue. I hope they're not trying to cram too much in for the film.

9) I'd love to see him in a cameo appearance, he'd be much easier to work in than the X-Men for example and the jokes he could share with Iron Man would be worth it alone.

10) Mary Jane, all day. Gwen Stacy is his Lana Lang, and MJ is his Lois.

The Spider-Man vs the Kingpin video game on the Sega Genesis.

The Master Planner saga in ASM #31-33

Spider-Man 2

It's the most well balanced, well written, emotional Spidey movie. It also had the best villain, and the best action scenes.

Live action: Tobey Maguire
Animated: Christopher Daniel Barnes

Doc Ock :otto:

Spectacular Spider-Man

Overall no. Some things look good like Harry and Gwen, but the Goblin design looks ridiculous, Electro's back story sounds pathetic. His design looks like Dr. Manhattan. Worst of all
it looks like Harry will be the Goblin before Norman, and be the one who kills Gwen.

9) Do you want Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man to show up in a future Avengers or any other Marvel Studios property?

No.

Gwen Stacy. She had more in common with Peter.

I was seven years old, Christmas Day, I got Spider-Man 2002 on VHS. I feel like seven is too old though, but I can't really remember Spidey pre-2002.

I've only read Ultimate Spider-Man. I enjoyed the Black Suit/Venom story, Death of a Goblin, and Death of Spider-Man.

Spider-Man 2

Doc Ock, I felt it nailed Peter's characterization, and the fight scenes.

The 90s cartoon was my second exposure to Spidey after the film, and I love Christopher Daniel Barnes. Michael Keaton and Andrew Garfield are great. Toby was a decent Spider-Man, better Parker.

Venom and Green Goblin are pretty neck and neck for me, overall more love for Venom though.

The Spectacular Spider-Man and the 90s show are even in my eyes. Damn shame that TSSM was cut too earlier, if it had gone for four-six seasons it most likely would of been the best. USM is utter trash though.

Yes!

I think it would be cool, but I don't care TBH. I don't lose sleep over Spidey not being in the MCU.

MJ and I are gonna have a Hell of a time.

Spider-Man TAS. I was addicted to that show as a kid. To give a more specific answer though, the Alien Costume saga were the very first episodes I remember seeing. Venom was also the first "boogeyman" of my childhood. After seeing him, it was the first time I was ever scared to sleep alone.

This is a really hard question. Unlike characters like Batman, Spider-Man is a bit unique for me in the sense that I don't think I can point to an exact story I can call my favorite. I can only point to a favorite "era" (each era being Spidey under the hands of a different writer). My favorite Spider-Man era so far would have to be Gerry Conway's run. The man is also one of my favorite comic book writers ever.

The Amazing Spider-Man.

In my opinion, it was the first Spider-Man film to truly get Spider-Man right. I loved the tone and thought the casting was perfect, especially Andrew Garfield. The man is Spider-Man to me in the same way Reeve/RDJ/Jackman are Superman/Iron Man/Wolverine respectively.

It is a tie between Josh Keaton and Andrew Garfield. Keaton for animation, Garfield for live-action. As I just said, I think Garfield is the perfect Peter Parker. I wish I could post some panels showing the similarities, but they're on my other computer and I'm too lazy at the moment :oldrazz:.

As for Keaton, I think his performance as Spidey is a bit underrated. I think he is to Spidey what Kevin Conroy was to Batman. Keaton really makes me buy that Peter and Spider-Man are two different people. When he voices Peter, he sounds more nerdy and stutters a lot. When he voices Spidey, the stutter is gone and the confidence + humor is there and really believable.

The Green Goblin. Easily one of my favorite comic book villains. There is no one who has messed more with Peter's life than the Green Goblin. I love all the dynamics, parallels, and themes between not just him and Peter, but between Norman/GG himself.

The theme of masks and of people not being who they seem to be is a major theme in the Spider-Man/Green Goblin dynamic (and in the Spider-Man mythos by extension). Peter Parker is who the guy really is and Spider-Man is the mask he puts on; with Norman it is the other way around. The Green Goblin is who he truly is and Norman Osborn is the mask he puts on. When putting on the mask, Peter gets the chance to be someone else; Norman gets the chance to be himself.

Then there are the parallels between Norman and the Green Goblin. He is unique from all over villains in the sense that he is two villains put into one. There is Norman Osborn and then there is the Green Goblin. Sometimes Spidey fights Norman, sometimes GG, sometimes both. As a writer, you can choose between Norman going toe-to-toe with Spidey in his GG suit and him not lifting a finger/sitting in the background in a more Luthor-esque role. Norman is one of the few rare archenemies that is still as much of a threat to the superhero protagonist when out of costume as in costume. Not many villains can get away with that.

I could go into greater lengths regarding GG, but I'll keep it short.

The Spectacular Spider-Man. It managed to find the perfect balance between 616 and Ultimate, serialized and episodic stories, Spidey's life and Peter's life, the supporting cast and the villains, etc. Almost all the characterizations were perfect, the tone was perfect, and the story flowed like a river. It is to Spider-Man what Batman TAS was to Batman IMO.

Yes. I love the look even more than the first film's.

Yes. I would love to see that. Plus tonally speaking, the TASM franchise can fit into the MCU.

In my opinion, the MCU feels really empty without Spider-Man. It feels like there is this entire piece missing, even moreso than the X-Men/FF. It will feel more empty once the street-level Netflix shows come out.

Mary Jane. I liked Gwen, but MJ had more depth and has been with Peter through a lot more. That's why it really bugs me when I see writers give MJ the shaft in favor of Gwen, acting as if Peter loved her more and MJ was just a backup plan.

Plus, the party girl archetype was always more like my kind of girl. :hrt:

I probably have seen some cartoons before the 2002 film, but the 2002 film is my earliest memory

I've only read the first ~30 issues so far, but I really like Betty Brant's story arc with the mob.

Spider-Man 2

The story was better, the villain was awesome, the fight scenes were amazing, and it really balanced Peter and Spidey.

Josh Keaton (Animated)- Definitely the best version of Spider-Man on screen. He captures the personalty of Spider-man very well.

Tobey Maguire (Live Action)- I haven't seen much of the 70s show, and while Maguire certainly isn't a great Spider-Man, he sure beats Garfield's character.

The Green Goblin from Spectacular Spider-Man (although not the GG from the comics, TV series, or movie)

If I had to choose a character from all incarnations, it would probably be Doc Ock because of his love for science and his iconic mechanical arms.

Spectacular Spectacular Spider-Man! Spectacular Spectacular!

No, it looks bad. Rhino's suit is horrid, Harry's going to become evil and the Goblin in his introduction film, Peter's still dating Gwen which means he hasn't learned anything, and Electro is too pathetic to empathize with.

Nope. I don't like Garfield's character, although they might make him better in future films. Spidey works better alone.

Depends on which MJ and which Gwen.

Last edited:

I feel like any answer would be a lie because of how much Spider-Man (and X-Men) were part of my childhood and journey into superheroes and I'm not quite sure when it started, I had a Spidey B-day cake when I was young I think? I had many toys and I visually remember these two comics vidily that was given today with many other comics that a friend of the family was giving away that I still own today (and many others but I really remember these covers as a vivid memory), those comics were mostly Amazing Spidey and Uncanny X-Men.

AmazingSpider-Man339_zps4fe5fdb5.jpg
Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_331_zpse0140f9d.jpg

I DON"T KNOW! There is so much good stuff....I'll have to come back to this later.

Spider-Man 2

Alfreda. Molina. Nuff said.

I suppose it would be Tobey Maguire, my viewings of the 90s series was so sporadic when I was little the comics I had and the 2000 PS1 video game was all I had for Spider-Man entertainment before 2002. I loved Tobey's Spidey.

Its hard to answer because I view Spiderman's rouge gallery as the best in comics. So I will put Doc Ock and The Lizard equal to each other, I've always loved both of the characters to bits...although I never owned a Lizard figure but had a Doc Ock one...

Those two Dr's are some of the best doctors in comics. ;)

Spectacular Spider-Man, they really had something there.

Yes alot actually, I'm kinda surprised all the 2014 superhero films are all so exciting I feel like its going to be the best year since 08. I'm not watching anymore trailers for TASM2 but its going to be a fun ride, I can smell the Sinister Six goodness from here....

I want it to happen but I think that chance has passed unfortunately.

Growing up in the 90s/Early 2000s all I was exposed to was MJ, so....MJ. I since have come to love Gwen Stacey alot though. I hope Emma Stone sticks around for one more film at least.[/QUOTE]

The 60's cartoon with that legendary theme song.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died

Spider-Man 2

Its still one of the best ever superhero movies. The action, the drama, the comedy.....and Doc Ock is perfect.

When I read comics I hear Christopher Daniel Barnes voice (90's animated)

Green Goblin. Also a contender for my favourite Marvel villain overall.

Spectacular. Its a crime that it was cancelled when it was.

Looks fantastic to me.

I could take or leave it. Personally I think Spidey works better alone.

MJ

1. 90s animated series
2. Blue and The Night Gwen Stacy Died
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Really conveyed what being Spider-Man would be like, and just a great movie
5. Tobey Maguire
6. Doc Ock
7. Spectacular, followed by the 90s show
8. Yes, really excited.
9. No, just contained to his own universe
10. MJ, but love the tragedy of Gwen.

Hmmmm, 90's animated series as a kid then Ultimate Spidey and 2002 movie.

The Amazing Spider-Man #1 and Ultimate Spider-Man "Power and Responsibility". His origin is like a Disney fairy tale mixed with Greek Tragedy. Death Of Gwen Stacy and the Venom arc from Ultimate Spidey is great too.

The Amazing Spider-Man. Spider-Man 2 would have been it but Peter overall was more wimpish than in 1 for the most part.

Very Good film, defiantly not the best a Spider-Man film can go but I felt it was better than both Raimi films which I also like. I liked the grounded feel to it and the cast, particularly Emma and Andrew are amazing. I felt they nailed Peter and did a good job of Spidey. I also liked the way they captured the Spider like movements with him using his webs to track the Lizard and the way he crawls,swings and fights is great. I felt Peter's intellect was empathized well, possibly the best in any adaption and defiantly in terms of live action.

In live action I'll probably go for Garfield but with animated it's Neil Patrick Harris :0

6) Which of Spider-Man's villains is your favourite?
Green Goblin, kinda like Batman mixed with The Joker. Doc Ock and Mysterio are next.

Spider-Man The Animated Series

Overall yes. I like how the suit has better coloring and there is more daytime swinging now! Didn't think I would like Electro but the sizzle convinced me otherwise.

Yes, in the MCU and the odd Avengers film but I like Spidey solo too. RDJ and Garfield together would be amazing!

Gwen for the same reasons The Joker has said.

Watching Spider-Man: The Animated Series from the 1990s.

The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122: The Night Gwen Stacy Died & The Final Showdown.

Spider-Man 2

It was a film that very well depicted what it's like to be Spider-Man and all the struggles Peter Parker has to face.

Andrew Garfield in live action, Josh Keaton in animated.

Green Goblin is my favorite villain as he is Spider-Man's arch nemesis.

The Spectacular Spider-Man is my favorite, followed by the 90s series (which is a close second).

It looks like it could be the best Spider-Man film yet.

No, keep Spider-Man separate from the MCU.

Both. ;)

1. A Spider-Man toy.

2. I'd say the original Sinister Six issue. I haven't read that many comics.

3. Uhh, 2, I guess.

4. :otto:

5. Honestly, I don't have a real favorite.

6. :otto:

7. Spectacular. There is no competition.

8. It looks enjoyable. Interested in where it leads.

9. No, Spider-Man does not save the world.

10. Toss up.

Spider-Man has always been one of my favorite superheroes. Perhaps second to Batman.

I remember watching the re-runs of the 60's Spider-Man cartoons in the afternoon every day.

I remember one of the first stories I read of him as a young kid was a 4 part team up with him and the Black Widow (in Marvel Team Up).The Widow lost her memory and Spider-Man was trying to protect her from Nick Fury.The story just struck a chord with me.Peter wasn't really this big macho he-man,but he had sympathy for Widow like a regular guy and did his best to look out for her.I just felt for Spidey in a way that I didn't for other heroes

Spider-Man

Great telling of the origin.Spectacular cast.The Goblin was probably depicted better than we'll ever see in live action again.Good balance of humor/thrills.

Tobey Mcguire.Hands down.Nicholas Hammond deserves mad props for his short lived Spider-Man series in the 70's though.He's become the forgotten Spider-Man.

Christopher Danial Barnes in animation.

As a big Hulk fan,I leaned toward The Lizard as a kid.:liz:But no one takes the place of the Green (Norman) Goblin as his arch nemesis.:gg:
Spider-Man The Animated series.It was like the comic come to life.

Spidey and his amazing friends will always hold a special place in my heart.I looked forward to it every Saturday morning as a kid.

Eh,It looks better than the first,(probably not a hard feat :woot:)but I'm sure to loathe what they're doing with Green Goblin.Rhino looks disappointing.I won't be pleased if they kill Gwen before introducing MJ.

Nah.I'm not crazy about what they've done so far,so I'd rather Marvel start over when/if they ever get the rights.

MJ,easily.

90's animated, though my dad may have shown me some of his comics beforehand.

this is a tough one. He has so many good stories, but I'll go with the master planner (asm #31-33) It really shows the core of the character. He will never give up when it really matters. I love an underdog story and spider-man is full of them.

Amazing spider-man

I really liked the more grounded tone. I also felt they nailed Peter Parker, and that is a big one for me. Not to mention his relationship with Gwen is great, making it that much harder to think she will be ripped away from him :(

(film) andrew garfield. Like I said, I loved his version of peter parker.
(animated) Josh Keaton. Man he has some great delivery as spidey. Chris barnes is a close close 2nd.

Another tuffy cause he has the best villans. I'll say Norman osborn because he really has tormented peter the most over the years. However doc ock is close in 2nd especially after this whole superior spidey business.

Easily spectacular spider-man. Really true to the spirit that made the original ditko and stan lee run so great. I really miss this show :(

Yup, love it. Looks like pure spidey greatness and I really think this is gonna set a new benchmark for spidey films.

Ah, I don't think it's necessary. Spidey has more than enough stories and characters to be it's own self contained universe. That said, I wouldn't be adverse to a cameo in avengers :)

Gwen was his first love. But MJ is his true love. I think even if Gwen had lived, peter and mj would have gotten together at some point.

90's cartoon series.

Haven't read too much comics of Spider-Man but the one that the topic was Spider-man: No More.

Ug that's a though one. I guess this is going to change in 2014, May.
Spiderman 2

I don't know, as I said before I don't have a favorite now. And that place could be taken by TASM2.

Andrew Garfield (Spider-Man)

Green Goblin, Venom and Scorpion

Spectacular Spiderman

Yeah. but I better be precautios.

Yeah. That could be awesome

Mary Jane

Playing the Spider-Man game from 2000. I had probably watched some of the cartoon episodes as a kid as well.

There's too many, I like Spider-Man:Blue. I loved The Amazing Spider-Man when Stan Lee wrote and John Romita drew.

Spider-Man 2

Because it was the most epic of all. Because I felt for Peter the most in that movie. Because the performances were probably at their best there.

(What BH/HHH said) 'Andrew Garfield nailed it, he was very much like the animated portrayal for me.' I think Tobey seemed more authentic as the "sciency nerd type" of guy. But I think Andrew is way snappier as Spider-Man and portrays the modern teenager well. For animated, it would have to be Christopher Daniel Barnes. He did the 2000 game and the 90's animated.

Really like Venom and Doc Ock. When Venom is a strong villain, he's really good. The best, IMO. But he can sometimes fall into the trap of comic relief or the anti-hero.

They're all really good, they aren't limited by an actors age so they can stay a teen for as long as possible. I think Spectacular Spider-Man seemed very good and accurate.

Yeah I do. I feel like they're trying to go back to what made Spider-Man great in the comics, which is more win.

Yeah, I'd like Andrew to have a cameo in the movie.

I feel like they're trying to change Gwen Stacy into the spicier sexier character in the movies, with MJ being the more plain one, but in the comics, MJ was way more interesting. In real life I'd rather date Gwen than MJ though. I may not be Spider-Man enough to handle MJ.

Last edited:

90's animated show. The Lizard episode. :D love it.

I haven't read too much Spider-Man..

The Amazing Spider-Man

Spot on cast, the fact that it still felt comicy without being cheesy. The way you can see how much Webb loves spidey.

Andrew Garfield nailed it

Venom! So cool. Otherwise Doc ock

90s series, havent watch any others..

Heeeell to the yes! I cannot wait. Looks....amazing ;)

I think thats impossible..

Gwen.

The 90's Cartoon, reruns of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

The Master Planner arc.

Spider-Man 2.

It has the feel of Lee/Romita, a great villain, and the best superhero fight scene in CBM's.

I want to say Garfield, but he needs a better movie to be in.

Doctor Octopus. IMO, he's Spidey's true arch enemy.

From a quality standpoint, probably Spectacular Spider-Man. From an iconic standpoint, the 60's and 90's shows.

Yes. I think its improved from the first Amazing flick. It has more of a comic book feel for sure.

It would be cool if he did a cameo, to be honest.

Both are ideal mates for Peter for different reasons. If we're talking movies, however, then both Howard and Stone's Gwen blew away Dunst's MJ.

For me, it's either the 90s show or the film, my early Spidey days are a bit foggy.

Coming Home, because I really liked how Ezekiel made Peter question how/why he got his powers.

Spider-Man

Because it was awesome, and Willem Dafoe's Gobby was just spectacular!

Andrew Garfield, even though Raimi's trilogy is my favourite so far, Garfield just looked like the perfect Peter Parker (Accidental Alliteration :p)

Either Doc Ock or Venom.... or both.

Spectacular Spider-Man, I love the art style and Keaton's voice is perfect!

TASM 2 looks pretty awesome, might even be THE Spider-Man film.

Yes.

10) Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

MJ, she has proven to be one of the most important parts of Pete's life.

Watching the 90s cartoon series for sure. That was what started it all. Also playing with my Mcdonalds Spider-man toy.

This one is tough, so I'll list five in no order

Kraven's Last Hunt
J.M. Dematteis Spectacular Spider-man run (SSM#178-200)
David Micheline's ASM Venom stories (ASM #300, #315-317, #331-333, 346-347, #374-375)
Roger Stern's Hobgoblin saga( #238-239, #244-245, #249-251)
Coming Home by JMS

Spider-man 2. ASM could be in the spot if Connors family was actually explored.

Doc Ock was a great villain and until now, nothing has topped the train sequence.

I still hear Cristopher Daniel Barnes while reading comics. Andrew is my preference in live action.

Venom, a love affair started by the 90's cartoon. The top five is rounded out by Mysterio, Hobgoblin, The Lizard and Doc Ock.

Spectacular Spider-man without a doubt. It was everything I wanted from a Spider-man adaptation and as an adaptation I prefer it to the films. Too bad it got caught up in a coporate tangled web.

It seems to have the humor I like from Spider-man and the action looks top notch. I'm actually not even concerned with there being 3 villains.

It could go either way for me.

If if in the public conciousness Kristen Dunst ruined her, definitely MJ.

For animated, it would have to be Christopher Daniel Barnes. He did the 2000 game and the 90's animated.
Actually the 2000 game was voiced by Rino Romano who voiced Spidey in Spider-man Unlimited. He did the voice for Enter Electro as well.

Watching the 1960's cartoons on TV when I was five or six.

Then I found the comics. And then the 1970's TV series.

I enjoy a lot what was done in the 60's and 70's.

The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-man 2.

TASM improved everything wrong with Raimi and made Peter a believable nerd. SM2 was not only a lot of fun but Raimi for the first time made the characters feel real and not cliched.

Now, Andrew Garfield, but if for the balance between shyness, good heart and intelligence, Nicholas Hammond (not saying the series was good, but Hammond was believable as hell).

Doc Ock.

They all have their charm. I guess the 1990's cartoons are very close to the comics.

I have only seen the trailers and they look great.

I think some superheroes work better alone in their own worlds.

Both.

I remember as a kid watching reruns of the old 60's cartoon on TV,and also seeing Spidey on The Electric Company.

I haven't been a huge comic book reader,but the one that sticks out for me is Torment series with the Lizard,and also some of McFarlene's Venom stories.

Spider-man 2...but I also love the original and part 3 alot.

I really love it because they really examine Peter's life as Spidey,and how hard is can be to be a hero and do the right thing. Plus,Doc Ock is amazing and the action scenes are some of the best ever.

Tobey Maguire.

Venom(Eddie Brock). Everything about him is just so awesome and tormented. Sometimes,depending on my mood,I love him even more than Spidey.

I like the 90's series alot,but I think Spectacular Spider-man is my favorite. I just wish we had a season 3.

I do. I thought the Amazing Spider-man was ok,but this one looks like a major improvement.

I could care less either way. It would be cool to see a cameo in,say and Avengers film. But if not,then it's no big deal.

Mary Jane. I love a sexy redhead!

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends
Then my dad played the other two cartoons for us, I was hooked ever since

Not certain, I love many stories

Spider-Man 3

It's the most fun to watch

The guy from Spider-Friends, Dan Gilvezan

6) Which of Spider-Man's villains is your favourite?
Scorpion, and Mysterio

Spectacular Spider-Man all the way
Batman Beyond is second in the chain

Yes

I'm not a fan of making him an Avenger in comics, I still prefer Spidey solo
So no, I don't want him to make a cameo in the movie of another hero

Mary Jane, she married Peter Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"