Spotlight on Ghost Rider!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Good read!

<H1>Spotlight: Ghost Rider!

Category: Comics | Spengs

GhostRiderComic1.jpg

How can you not love a character like Ghost Rider? A spirit of vengeance with a flaming skull in tattered leather duds, riding a motorcycle…and that’s just the visuals. Beyond the fact that he “looks cool” there’s an extensive mythology behind the origin and legacy of Ghost Rider. While he may have been created to cash-in on a 1970’s fad (much like the Punisher) he has come into his own as a unique, intriguing and entertaining character (much like the Punisher).
The original Ghost Rider was considerably different than the one we have today. The very first Ghost Rider, appearing in Ghost Rider #1 in 1967, was a Western Outlaw hero named Carter Slade, who was a schoolteacher by day and masked vigilante by night. Carter Slade’s origin went that he was shot by some bad guys when he accidentally stumbled upon one of their operations. An Indian medicine man named Flaming Star found him, nursed him back to health and took his speedy recovery as a sign that Slade was to become a champion of justice due to some wacky prophecy. Slade then donned a white mask, cape and outfit as well as an angry white horse named Banshee. Using glowing meteor dust and other optical illusions, he would defeat his enemies by scaring the Hell out of em.
GhostRiderComic2.jpg

The Ghost Rider has become one of Marvel’s most memorable Western characters (no doubt thanks to his spiffy costume and the name). However, after his series was cancelled, he became mostly forgotten. When Marvel created the motorcycle-riding, flaming skull-Ghost Rider we recognize today, they retroactively changed the Western Ghost Rider’s name to “Phantom Rider”. The Phantom Rider made several appearances in the Avengers (thanks to time travel) and even had an entire legacy added to his history (there have been at least 3 or 4 different Phantom Riders).
The Ghost Rider as we know him today first appeared in Marvel Spotlight #5 in 1972. In this re-imagining, Johnny Blaze was a rebellious young man who worked in a stunt cycle show with his adoptive father, Crash Simpson. Although Johnny was a motorcycle master, he swore never to ride again after the mother of Roxanne Simpson, his girlfriend, was accidentally killed in an accident he was involved in. Crash Simpson continued the motorcycle show without him, though he began to look down on his adopted son as a wimp for not wanting to ride anymore. Then, a few years later, Crash Simpson was diagnosed with a terminal illness and given a month to live. Johnny was determined to save Crash’s life, and turned to black magic. He summoned the demon Mephisto (though he originally thought it was Satan), who would remove Crash’s illness in exchange for Johnny’s soul.
Crash recovered from his illness, only to die a few days later in a motorcycle accident during one of the stunts. Johnny had been betrayed, and refused to give up his soul when Mephisto came to collect. Mephisto was going to take his soul anyway, but was forced to depart when Roxanne showed up; her pure heart driving Mephisto away. Before leaving, Mephisto bound Johnny’s soul to the demon of vengeance, Zarathos. From then on, every night, Johnny would transform into the Ghost Rider and seek vengeance against wrong-doers.
The series continued for 81 issues, with Ghost Rider proving to be so popular he cameoed in numerous books and even joined the failed super-team, the Champions. Eventually, Johnny was separated from Zarathos in the last issue of his title (1983) and he and Roxanne went on to start a family. With his story completed, the Ghost Rider then fell into obscurity through-out the rest of the 80’s.
In 1990, Marvel decided to bring Ghost Rider back for a new generation. However, they would give a new character, Danny Ketch, the powers of the Spirit of Vengeance. Danny, while being chased by the mob, came across a run-down motorcycle in a junkyard. He accidentally activated a mystical seal on the bike, transforming himself into the Ghost Rider. As the series progressed, Danny met up with former Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, who now had two kids with his wife Roxanne. Johnny and Danny teamed-up on numerous occasions, as it was later revealed that they were brothers separated at birth. While Johnny had been cursed with the demon Zarathos in his day, Danny had been bound to the demon Noble Kale, the true Spirit of Vengeance.
This second volume proved to be the high-point in Ghost Rider’s story-telling as well as his popularity. Through-out the series, new characters were introduced (like Vengeance, the “Evil Ghost Rider”), the Mythos behind the Ghost Rider was fleshed out, Roxanne Simpson was murdered, Johnny’s kids were kidnapped and Johnny left the title to search for his lost children. The series ended in 1998 with issue #93, which was actually one issue SHORT; Marvel having pulled the plug on the title before it could be finished.
With the series never being properly completed, several threads were left dangling and, as a result, Ghost Rider’s carefully plotted-out continuity began to unravel. At the end of the series, Ghost Rider journeyed into hell, teaming-up with Vengeance to defeat Black Heart. In the battle, Noble Kale was separated from Danny, resulting in Danny’s death. After Black Heart’s demise, Ghost Rider became the new ruler of Hell. Without a proper send-off, future appearances of Ghost Rider in other Marvel comics would only prove to cause further confusion.
In July of 1998, Howard Mackie attempted to close-up the loose threads from the incomplete Ghost Rider series by having the character cameo in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #93. In this story, Noble Kale rises from Hell and lays siege to New York City, apparently having gone completely nuts. He claims that everything he ever knew was a lie and that the entire Ghost Rider history, legacy and mythos was a fraud. Danny Ketch shows up at the end of the comic, somehow alive and well, and reunites with Noble Kale. With Ghost Rider “whole” once again, things were set to return to the status quo. Time would prove that not to be the case, however, as this was the last appearance Danny will ever make (at least as of July 2006, when this article was written).
GhostRiderComic3.jpg

In 2001, writer Devin Grayson attempted to resurrect Johnny Blaze’s Ghost Rider in a 6-issue miniseries. However, she would admit in interviews that she knew nothing of the character’s history, only that he “looks cool”. Bad idea. Her story, “The Hammer Lane”, proved to be one of the worst moments in Ghost Rider’s history and buried the character back into obscurity for another 4 years. In this story, Johnny Blaze has been working as an accountant for 3 years (apparently, he gave up searching for his kids). The Ghost Rider entity overcomes him (although Zarathos was no longer bound to him) and he takes to the streets, writing wrongs across the country. The characterization of both Johnny and the Ghost Rider are completely off, as are all recollections of their origins (Johnny doesn’t appear to know very much about Danny), and by the series’ end, Ghost Rider decides to become the “Spirit of Forgiveness”.
In 2005, Punisher and Preacher author (and all-around raging lunatic), Garth Ennis, decided to bring Johnny Blaze back one more time for a new miniseries titled “The Road to Damnation”. With Clayton Crane (Venom vs. Carnage) providing the stunning art, the miniseries resulted in a complete success. In this story, Johnny has been trapped in Hell shortly after the events of the Hammer Lane, and despite his best efforts, can’t escape. A rogue angel offers Johnny his freedom if he can help stop the return of a demonic monstrosity on Earth. The miniseries was such a success that not only was a new miniseries announced (this one taking place in the old west), but a new on-going series began in July of 2006.
Outside of the comics, Ghost Rider has made few appearances in other Marvel media. He had brief cameos in the early 90’s Saban-produced X-Men cartoon (and by “brief”, I mean 1 second-long glimpses). He appeared in the 1994 Fantastic Four animated series, in the episode “When Galactus Calls”. Voiced by Richard Grieco, Ghost Rider appeared toward the end and used his penance stare to force Galactus to feel the pain of every living being he had ever killed (that would be a LOT). Ghost Rider appeared again in the mid-90’s Incredible Hulk animated series in the episode “Innocent Blood”. Richard Grieco reprised the role, with the Ghost Rider hunting down the Incredible Hulk. Supposedly, these two appearances by the Ghost Rider were intended as a sort of pilot for a Ghost Rider animated series, which unfortunately never happened.
With a live-action Ghost Rider film (starring Nicholas Cage) on the way in early 2007, now is as good a time as any to get reacquainted with one of the better characters of the Marvel universe. Ghost Rider has a lengthy and detailed history; I could only touch slightly upon it in my article. So, for all your Ghost Rider needs, I recommend you check out Vengeance Unbound, the Ultimate Ghost Rider website.
</H1>

:up:
nice article...although he rushed through the 70s GR (he doesnt mention the slow change of GR to the demon Zarathos) he does cover quite alot. overall though its a really good summary of the character...

That was an interesting read. A nice canned history. I'm a fan of the character, but I don't know everything about him. This thread'll be a good one to refer any visiting GR virgins to.

:)

^ I thought so too. I didn't know some of that stuff either. It's funny how a character is created to ride the wave of some fad and then they develop the history later and turn it such a well known time lasting character like Ghost Rider or Punisher. Same with the Silver Surfer too I imagine.

Don't forget Captain America.
They did the same thing to Cap, after he'd disappeared in the 40's, there were other Cap's running around in between the 40's and 60's and everyone Assumed it was Steve rogers.
They made the What-if story about who filled Cap's shoes in that time, and it was such a good idea, they used it as Cap history.

Great read. Im going to print this out so my non ghost rider friends have something to read about his history before we see the movie... Great job Bro.. D

Yeah, that's a great writeup and it's cool that they mention Vengeance Unbound there as well.

Speakin' of them, they (he) had an incredible history on there once apon a time. It may even partially be this, I'm not sure. I remember it being quite conprehensive though. It's too bad it was lost...

Not a bad write up. I think I'll spread this one around to my friends who know the character only through my drawings.

Guys, is the Hammer Lane story, rather the Marvel Knights section of the Marvel Universe, part of the regular universe?

I ask this because I really, really, really don' want it to be.

I believe the Hammer Lane is part of the normal continuity, unfortunately. Even though it never made mention of Ketch, it looked like it was his SOV that seemed to possess Blaze and the comments "Not again." which I believe was said in the Wizard #1/2 issue.

I haven't read the 1/2 yet (and don't really care) but, it sadens me that this story is part of the normal verse. I was really hoping we could just forget it or burn it or something.

Found this its kind of old but its pretty sweet.

The villain in Blackheart played by Wes Bently (the kid obsessed with plastic bags in American Beauty) and he seemed to be a very over-the- top villain. His cronies are all evil versions of the elements. One is made of dirt and worms, another seems like liquid while another is a ghost or air. They are all very comic book like as well. Blackheart sent his cronies to get the Ghost Rider and steal something back so they could have all the souls on Earth and Mephisto could get none. In one scene, he takes down a whole biker bar by himself. Reminded me much of Terminator's opening scene.
Now, Ghost Rider is freaking awesome. They really nailed the look, sound and tone of this. Much better efforts than Daredevil. The flaming skull was unbelievable looking and they were still months from finishing all the effects on the film. His bike is even cooler and responds when he whistles for it. Of coarse it leaves a line of fire wherever he rides since the wheels are on fire. His weapon of choice is his chain that he wraps around his jacket. Think Indiana Jones, except that he ignites it on fire and kills ghosts instead of Nazis. One scene I saw has Ghost Rider roll up looking for Abigor (Ghost crony). This guy flies around like a cloud of black smoke. Its very cool looking. He knocks the **** out of Ghost Rider picks him up and slams him into a car. What really struck me was the way Ghost Rider got off the car. It looked like that very cheesy over-acting with the body that they use in Power Rangers and even in points of Daredevil. But they aren't going for Batman Begins here.

I watched another scene in which they meet Ghost Rider in a depot. He shows up and kicks some ass. They drive a semi into him, obviously thinking he's dead. He reappears naturally and grabs one of the baddies. He says "Look into my eyes", for all you who don't know, Ghost Rider's eye sockets allow you to relive every horrible sin you've ever committed. The voice effects on Ghost Rider were again PERFECT. It doesn't sound like it came from this world. It doesn't sound like Nick Cage. He makes the bad guy scream so horrifically, you almost have sympathy for him when Ghost Rider fire chains his ass apart.

If you liked Nick Cage in Con Air, you'll love him in Ghost Rider. I personally don't care for Mr. Cage's southern texas, cajun drawl. But! The only scene I saw with Nick as Johnny Blaze was in a police interrogation room. They police couldn't figure out how all these criminals were being incinerated while Johnny's tire tracks were there. They can't pin anything on him and it seems like Johnny himself doesn't remember becoming Ghost Rider. A cop lights a cigarrette and the flame extends a few inches, away from Johnny. They look at him and replies with something like "That was wierd." its a pretty funny scene. My only gripe with Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze is his age. He's not a late 20's or early 30's guy. He is still trying to be, with his gelled hair and leather jacket. The overall vibe was that he didn't fit the role as others might have.

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

FlameHead said:
I haven't read the 1/2 yet (and don't really care) but, it sadens me that this story is part of the normal verse. I was really hoping we could just forget it or burn it or something.

Half wasn't that bad. Mainly just violence, little talking, lots of screaming. It's fine if you ignored the fact that it was Ghost Rider.

I have 4 issues, too. Little did I know the series would blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"