Superman Returns SR in TIME mag's Summer Preview

Tron5000

Sidekick
Reaction score
(sorry if this was already posted. didn't see it if so)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186570-2,00.html

SUPERMAN RETURNS

Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth. Release date: June 30. What the first four made: $318 million

THE CHALLENGE The problem with Superman is that he doesn't have enough problems. He can pretty much do anything—dude has superbreath—and apart from the kryptonite thing, he's pretty much invulnerable. And oh, my stars, what a do-gooder. Where's the inner conflict? Or the outer conflict, for that matter? He's not dark and troubled like Batman or Wolverine, or cute and clueless like Spider-Man.

WHAT'S NEW You can't openly monkey with the Superman mythology--there are probably federal laws against it—so to reinvent him director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, the X-Men movies) went subtle, quietly tweaking canonical story lines to roil Supe's placid emotional waters. When the movie opens, Big Blue has been gone for five years, and he gets back to find that Lois Lane has a new guy (!) and a kid (!!). Now, wouldn't that ruffle your spit curl?

THE BUZZ The set radiated bad p.r.: there were rumors of reshoots and wild budget overruns (the reported cost is a mighty $185 million). And do comic-book fans really care if Superman is a lover as well as a fighter? New guy Routh fills out the blue tights, and Spacey looks like a deliciously loony Lex Luthor, but Clark Kent might need to find a new beat. —By Lev Grossman

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?

Yeah doesn't sound like that guys to thrilled about the new movie...

I think everybody noticed the photo and not the article itself which is quite negative.

I have been following this production for years now and unless I am talking out of my ass, there has been 1 rumour of a budget overrun and ZERO reports of reshoots. Where is this idiot getting his information from?

the guy's obviously not a fan of Superman... I stopped when I read "he's not dark and troubled like Batman and Wolverine".

not every superhero has to be "dark and troubled", jackass... :rolleyes:

ruhanv said:
I think everybody noticed the photo and not the article itself which is quite negative.

I have been following this production for years now and unless I am talking out of my ass, there has been 1 rumour of a budget overrun and ZERO reports of reshoots. Where is this idiot getting his information from?

Probably that ass hole from Page 6 or something.

He disses on SR, then he says X3 may suffer from losing Brian Singer. That's kinda contradictory. I don't like TIME anyway, so this isn't a huge surprise.

JackBauer said:
the guy's obviously not a fan of Superman... I stopped when I read "he's not dark and troubled like Batman and Wolverine".

not every superhero has to be "dark and troubled", jackass... :rolleyes:

Just comparing Superman to Wolverine.....that guy should be shot. :( :down

I wouldn't be that harsh, but I understand his concerns. Superman has always come off to me as a very bland character.

No...no one can ever compare a character like Superman to ****Everine....:(

He doesn't know what he is talking about.

An alien from another planet who symbolizes all of the good in humanity and has powers beyond those of damn near any other superhero out there. Flies, can move mountains, sees through things, vulnerable to very few things, lives an entirely different life as a normal human being...sounds pretty bland to me.

PWN3R RANGER said:
No...no one can ever compare a character like Superman to ****Everine....:(

He doesn't know what he is talking about.
Personally, I think that Wolverine is totally played out and that the movie Wovlerine (I really enjoy Hugh Jackman BTW) is just a wimpified version of the character. I would like to see the short (not as short as the comicbook character) angry kick ass Wolve but oh well, If Time thinks that the movie character is hardcore... whatever.

Tron5000 said:
An alien from another planet who symbolizes all of the good in humanity and has powers beyond those of damn near any other superhero out there. Flies, can move mountains, sees through things, vulnerable to very few things, lives an entirely different life as a normal human being...sounds pretty bland to me.
Some people don't find the character all that exciting, deal with it. I happen to love Lex, and Supes adventures but I've never been in love with the character and do find it kinda boring.

Another clueless person who thinks that a character has to be an Agnsty teen or a badass anti hero to have any appeal.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
Personally, I think that Wolverine is totally played out and that the movie Wovlerine (I really enjoy Hugh Jackman BTW) is just a wimpified version of the character.

Well to be fair, there was no way to get the real comic book version of Logan into a PG-13 film... Unless you went all arty with black and white and only showed 10% of the things he was doing (or people he was killing :D )

On a side note, I hope the people involved with the Wolverine film go and watch some Akira Kurosawa films before getting to work :up:

Mentok said:
Another clueless person who thinks that a character has to be an Agnsty teen or a badass anti hero to have any appeal.
No.

Already been done at The Planet. Don't feel like reading through the same old stuff. Eh

Tron5000 said:

I'd even say mediocre at best :up: . Oh well, not everyone is going to like it.

This reminds me of that NY Times guy who also got a lot of stuff wrong

Yeah, I read the article yesterday, and it was upsetting. The guy just doesn't understand Superman, and is grossly misunderstood on his characterization. He doesn't have to be an anti-hero or a stupid teen with a sharp tongue--even though Superman was a trash-talker at one point in time-- to be interesting or appealing to a massive audience.

All the Prophets of G-d were good men that did miraculous things, and I don't see their stories going away anytime soon.

I think come June 30th all Superman fans are going to be vindicated and all doubts will be laid to rest. This movie is going to be huge, and if some prick from Time can’t see that, then tough!

Told you guys that usa today pic would be bad :(

The set radiated bad p.r.:

Legitimate concerns, and from what I gather from most...the general consensus of the modern day audience. Not many seem to be interested in Superman, as opposed to Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men etc.

Of course a Batman and Wolvie fan is gonna diss on Supes 'cause he's not "Cool". "He's not dark and troubled like Batman or Wolverine" those two characteristics are very Un-heroic to me and is the reason I don't read either characters books, Heroes are supposed to instill hope in people, not fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"