Superman Returns SR in TIME mag's Summer Preview

I read the whole article, and it all sounds like a bunch of snob pseudointellectuals talking down on blockbusters - which are mostly ****, fine, but if you look close so are most "art" films...

I was thinking about that the other day, and you know what, maybe Supes´ best appeal these days is EXACTLY the fact that he´s an idealist hero in a cynical and angsty world. That makes him a fish-out-of-water, in a way. I like my dark and angsty superheroes - Batman, Wolvie, Daredevil, etc. - But some lighter characters like Supes of The Flash help to give a sort of yin-yang balance to it.

newmexneon said:
Of course a Batman and Wolvie fan is gonna diss on Supes 'cause he's not "Cool". "He's not dark and troubled like Batman or Wolverine" those two characteristics are very Un-heroic to me and is the reason I don't read either characters books, Heroes are supposed to instill hope in people, not fear.
Really now? Of course you then wouldn't understand that Batman instills hope to the meek, by putting fear in the oppressors. Which of course, makes for a more interesting and overall "bad-ass" concept. :up:

newmexneon said:
Of course a Batman and Wolvie fan is gonna diss on Supes 'cause he's not "Cool". "He's not dark and troubled like Batman or Wolverine" those two characteristics are very Un-heroic to me and is the reason I don't read either characters books, Heroes are supposed to instill hope in people, not fear.
LOL! So, you like bland goodie two shoes characters? Got it!:up:

For him to be such a "bland" character, he sure does have a lot of popularity and movies, TV shows, etc. out. And that's not to mention the fact that he is the most widely known and recognized comic book character on the planet.

newmexneon said:

Your misunderstanding of the characters could explain why you dislike them. Batman instills hope THROUGH scaring the **** out of criminals. It's a simple, yet beautiful concept.

I happen to like my none angsty Superman, he doesn't need to be like Batman or Spider-man to be cool imo.

That article was pretty honest I thought. You guys can get pissed off and all but a lot of other people are gonna say the same thing and Time is under the Time Warner conglomerate so they could have written a glowing PR spin of an article to promote there big summer movie.
And as much as you guys hate the talk of Wolverine and Batman, lets face it: Those dark broody characters seem more popular now compared to Superman in the 70's and 80's but at the same time the outside hope is after looking at Spiderman, maybe light hearted superhero films can be good but Spider-man had never had a franchise run and is more interesting than Superman.
Again I hope the film does well and like the dude said Singer is attempting to bring an interesting new perspective without hurting the mythology so its gonna be interesting but dont suprise if people dont go because it's just Superman.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
For him to be such a "bland" character, he sure does have a lot of popularity and movies, TV shows, etc. out. And that's not to mention the fact that he is the most widely known and recognized comic book character on the planet.
Whocares? I and some other folk find him to be a somewhat bland hero; Hopefully Singer makes him a little more interesting.

Dude, I don't let people tell me what to think and what to like, I make up my own mind. For example, I happen to think that "Superman The movie" is a 6 out of 10 movie, a mediocre slapstick movie that falls apart after Clark goes to Metropolis. I loved Reeve as Superman though, he is perfectly cast, if only I didn't hate his Clark Kent so much.

See, all of that is my opinion, I'm intitled to it!

I SEE SPIDEY said:
I wouldn't be that harsh, but I understand his concerns. Superman has always come off to me as a very bland character.

I can't stand it when people say Superman is "bland". The guy is in a world not his own, trying to fit in, saving the frickin world from disasters (both natural and not)! How is that bland? I agree that not EVERY Superhero needs to be dark, disturbed, angry, etc...

This world could stand to have a symbol of goodness and hope right about now, wouldn't you say??

I love Superman as character, he is great. And the main thing is that he doesn't look like usual superhero.

SPIDEY go back to the Spider-man 3 threads and complain about how it sucks that Venom's in the movie and Spidey's suit isn't really black and all that other nonsense you kids like to whine about.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
Whocares? I and some other folk find him to be a somewhat bland hero; Hopefully Singer makes him a little more interesting.

Dude, I don't let people tell me what to think and what to like, I make up my own mind. For example, I happen to think that "Superman The movie" is a 6 out of 10 movie, a mediocre slapstick movie that falls apart after Clark goes to Metropolis. I loved Reeve as Superman though, he is perfectly cast, if only I didn't hate his Clark Kent so much.

See, all of that is my opinion, I'm intitled to it!

So you love Superman movie, but not Superman? LOL.

Some of you guys are so bias that your not even sitting down and understanding the logic of the other side that's pretty reasonable.

I am too sitting down. It's not bias, it's disagreement.

Guys, you gotta understand a lot of ppl in the real world are gonna think Superman is played out, its one of the things you gotta factor into thinking this film may not make Spider-man money even if Supes is (argubaly) more famous and (unargubaly) been around longer.
If it makes it money great and it will be because Spider-man (light hearted film somewhat) and Batman begins (DC Property) restored faith in the comic book/Superhero genre to kick in the door and create a demand for another Superman film but a lotta people think he is bland and that's fine, cant hate too much on that.

Tron5000 said:
SPIDEY go back to the Spider-man 3 threads and complain about how it sucks that Venom's in the movie and Spidey's suit isn't really black and all that other nonsense you kids like to whine about.
I don't whine about the Spider-Man movies, I happen to love them and am really looking forward to Venom and Spidey's black (venom) suit.

Oddly enough I do have to agree with you, most of the people on the Spidey boards are idiots, thats why I don't really visit them anymore.

I have to decline your request for that reason and because I like the Superman boards. The people here seem mostly cool, even people that disagree with my view that this (Superman Returns) movie looks iffy at best.

You sir are one of the few morons that I have run into, Thank g-d for that!

I see where the guy is coming from, and it's that kind of thinking that makes me glad that we're getting the story that's being told. The question this guy seems to be posing is what makes Superman so great and challenging, and how is he as interesting as dark, brooding heroes like Batman and Wolverine. The movie's about how will Superman adjust to a world that has learned to move on without him, a world that has learned to go on without an idealistic hero.

I believe it's that guy's type of attitude that we'll see in SR. He, and everyone else will learn that with Superman it's not really about the physical battles, but the emotional ones, which is what makes him similar to Batman and Spider-Man.

Super hero angst is partly what sells these stories on both movies and TV. We been knowing this for years

Super_Ludacris said:
Super hero angst is partly what sells these stories on both movies and TV. We been knowing this for years

Super Ludacris, your avvy is awesome. :up:

The Sage said:
I see where the guy is coming from, and it's that kind of thinking that makes me glad that we're getting the story that's being told. The question this guy seems to be posing is what makes Superman so great and challenging, and how is he as interesting as dark, brooding heroes like Batman and Wolverine. The movie's about how will Superman adjust to a world that has learned to move on without him, a world that has learned to go on without an idealistic hero.

I believe it's that guy's type of attitude that we'll see in SR. He, and everyone else will learn that with Superman it's not really about the physical battles, but the emotional ones, which is what makes him similar to Batman and Spider-Man.
Exactly, the character isn´t dark or brooding, but you can find good character conflict in him if you want to. Look at his father´s death in STM. All the powers in the world, and he couldn´t save the life of a loved one. That´s great conflict.

Super_Ludacris said:
Exactly. Superhero comics are like Soap Opera's for boys.

If the movie fails to except expectations then expect a restart in probably 10 yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"