State of Anime:Discussion Thread.0_o Just kidding.

Ultra-Herald9

Sidekick
Reaction score
A bunch of my friends and I got into a debate over the weekend about the current state of Anime. We were talking about our favorite points of being Anime fans. We were also discussing whether Anime is at its best now or is the old school better.

But one of my friends(he is very big on anime and knows alot of various different series and manga's) believes that basically we have hit an Anime bubble. He believes(and I share some of his beliefs) that alot of the mainstream and most popular anime's are losing their originalty at an alarming rate and that the truly original anime's are being cast aside to quickly.

I admit, I am not as big of a anime fan as I used to be but I still watch and enjoy most of the ones I still watch( I enjoy Gantz and One Piece and Once Naruto starts picking up again I'll probably watch that too) so I was wondering about what everyone who reads more than me thinks.

I will try to keep my stupid opinions and ideals to a minimum.:woot:

But seriously, what do you guys thinks? Is anime btter than ever or lacking something you miss dearly? Tell me I MUST KNOW!!:cmad:

:woot:

I dunno about that. What really got me into it was Cowboy Bebop which nothing could touch for quite a while.

Then I found Fullmetal Alchemist which was an awesome show. Then I started watching the Ghost In The Shell TV series.

I mean both those shows were based on pre-existing source material but to me their storytelling techniques and characters were above and beyond the usual junk. I'm very selective about what I pick.

And still I'm finding lots of new stuff that a lot of people don't talk about or haven't watched yet. I think History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is awesome. Kage Kara Mamoru. I hope those shows get licensed soon. And then there's Nerima Daikon Brothers, the latest from Shinichi "Excel Saga" Watanabe.

I think maybe some of the excitement of when I was just starting to enter into the world of anime and becoming a hardcore otaku might've worn off a bit. But I'm still big into it. And I'm still finding lots of cool new stuff to watch.

GunXSword rocks. I recommend that show.

To me, very little about anime is original. If you look at most shows a lot of the plots, characters, and storylines are somewhat stock, repetitive, etc. Anime itself has become a very post-modern art-form. I find what's original about it though is the execution of these things and their unique characterisitics in comparison/contrast to American storytelling and animation. I do like that anime takes a lot more risks with their storylines and deals with more mature subjects and themes very often.

I dunno about that. What really got me into it was Cowboy Bebop which nothing could touch for quite a while.

Then I found Fullmetal Alchemist which was an awesome show. Then I started watching the Ghost In The Shell TV series.

I mean both those shows were based on pre-existing source material but to me their storytelling techniques and characters were above and beyond the usual junk. I'm very selective about what I pick.

And still I'm finding lots of new stuff that a lot of people don't talk about or haven't watched yet. I think History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is awesome. Kage Kara Mamoru. I hope those shows get licensed soon. And then there's Nerima Daikon Brothers, the latest from Shinichi "Excel Saga" Watanabe.

I think maybe some of the excitement of when I was just starting to enter into the world of anime and becoming a hardcore otaku might've worn off a bit. But I'm still big into it. And I'm still finding lots of cool new stuff to watch.

GunXSword rocks. I recommend that show.

To me, very little about anime is original. If you look at most shows a lot of the plots, characters, and storylines are somewhat stock, repetitive, etc. Anime itself has become a very post-modern art-form. I find what's original about it though is the execution of these things and their unique characterisitics in comparison/contrast to American storytelling and animation. I do like that anime takes a lot more risks with their storylines and deals with more mature subjects and themes very often.

Man, you rock. I too enjoyed Cowboy bebop and FMA( although I sadly mised alot of the last episodes) and I am very glad that you are recommending these shows to me. Its harder being an anime fan nowdays since those big anime's overhadow others a bit so getting this info helps alot.

Such is the nature of creators trying to reach a broader and more global marketplace. It was inevitable as America reached into Japan in the search for the next cash cow. It's true that they don't make em like they used to. There have been good animes come through here and there (e.g Ergo Proxy & FMA) but nothing holds itself to the good old days. There are less and less movies and short series nowadays as well. It's all about milking a franchise. The originality in anime has definitely been lost along the way. Only some directors/creators are still trugging along weaving their magic (e.g Satoshi Kon, Studio Ghibli and the like) but the influence of America cannot be denied.

Having enjoyed FMA quite thoroughly, as well as watching GitS:SAC and 2ndSAC when I could, I've found them quite a lot better than much of the rubbish from Hollywood.

However, something like Rurouni Kenshin was... mediocre, and the post-Shishio episodes were, for the most part, atrocious.

Really, I think there are new and interesting stories to tell. They're just not getting told any more. In the current climate, no one would dare make a new Gundam Wing, with all its talks on the 'beauty of battle', elitism and complication.

As for Cowboy Bebop... I haven't actually sat down and watched it fully, but I have watched episodes, and I did like them.

Despite my rambling, I'd have to say that theres room for anime to grow, but its not growing so much now (it will in the future, I'd say, at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"