One Piece discussion (Spoilers)

It's pretty tricky trying to convince other adults about anime and manga. Over the years I've met a few people that I was able to slowly ween into the genre. Usually I try and find an anime to match what they enjoy in live action. For example, a housemate of mine really enjoyed Harry Potter, so I introduced him to Fullmetal Alchemist. after the first few episodes he was hooked and ended up marathoning the entire series over the course of a week. He then begged for more so I hit him with Deathnote :D. Really anime is for people that enjoy good story telling and cool visuals, so when I come across people that think Lord of the Rings is "stupid" and that they "don't get it" I dont waste my time. Yet I don't understand some of the stuff they are into, so it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

As for One Piece on the other hand, I would only try to convince an already existing anime watcher to take a look at it or try to explain it. OP is so rich in story telling and character development, but some of the humour can be missed (perversion not withstanding) it's something that only the fans that understand the characters will get. If you ever find yourself in that awkward possition with a person (particularly a girl) that doesn't watch anime and finds you watching One Piece, try this on them. Compare it to a day time soap like Days of our Lives. People watch it every day religiously because they want to know what happens next to there favourite characters and how the ???story??? progresses. One Piece is the same except more compelling, colourful, and childish at times, where as DooL is more shallow, mature (depending on the psychological state of its characters) and consistent. These are just my words though, based on how I view humans. Seriously though, if someone has a go at you for being childish for watching cartoons, I'm pretty certain you could find a way into their heads and mess with them, bringing up some sort of psychological damage, reveal their weakness and batter them back into place. This is a last resort though, it's good to be good :up:

While this is the first time Oda is doing a tournament arc, that's actually the part i'm enjoying less. As for the 3rd admiral the comon consensos is that he's either a zoan type or that he has an ability related to time, which would make the 3 admirals related to the theory of relativity: light, gravity and time.

I'm glad Law received some power restrictions, they were kind of Hax when he was introduced.

I last read One Piece when everyone met Luffy's Grandpa, after they rescued Robin. But in the last couple days, I caught up with all the remaining chapters. Now it's back to waiting for a whole week to get a new chapter. T_T

Last edited:
I last read One Piece when everyone met Luffy's Grandpa, after they rescued Robin. But in the last couple days, I caught up with all the remaining chapters. Now it's back waiting for a whole week to get a new chapter. T_T
Nice, how are you liking the plot right now?

I'm definitely enjoying it all. I like that we are 68 volumes into the series and there's no sign of fatigue or dragging on. There is still so much left to explore, so many people to meet, so many adventures left.

Definitelly, what i love about OP is that its world is in constant expansion, and important plot points were foreshadowed years before they happen. The events that led to Marineford war taking place were put in motion since the begining of Skypiea, in fact Blackbeard was even mentioned in Drum Island.

This arc has been good up until now but i'm afraid it lasts more than is should like Fishmen Island and punk hazard did.

I'm definitely enjoying it all. I like that we are 68 volumes into the series and there's no sign of fatigue or dragging on. There is still so much left to explore, so many people to meet, so many adventures left.

Unfortunately the anime doesn't have the same pace, it's been stretched out because it's catching up with the manga. It's the price we pay for not getting a filler full anime like Naruto or Bleach.

One Piece‘s Creator Still Sidelined Amid Concerns

Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, skipped the deadline for several issues of his popular manga earlier this spring due to illness. It seems he is still recovering.

According to the latest issue of Shonen Jump, which One Piece missed, the manga will also be missing the next issue.

Originally, Oda was hospitalized in May for a tonsil infection. One Piece was supposed to return to print in June, but now, it doesn't look like it will be back until at least August 5 when the next Shonen Jump goes on sale.

As J-Cast reports this week, there are certainly concerns online about Oda's health. It's worth noting that Oda seemed in good spirits when he gave an update about One Piece's status.

Oda is a workaholic. Last year, he said, "Well mornings... I get up at 5am, and I work until 2am. It's normal for me to sleep from 2am to 5am." He also added that he has "no days off."

In an earlier interview, Oda said that making One Piece's last chapter long would make it more engaging. "I'm not worried about it being interesting," Oda added. "The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not my physical strength can hold up."

Oda gave this interview before he was admitted to the hospital in the spring.

Look, there's no rush. One Piece has been running since 1997. People can wait for Oda to fully recover, however long that takes.

Source

Man, I hope he gets better. He should really take some time off and just concentrate on recovering. Maybe even just slow down in general. I can definitely wait when it means his health will be better for it.

Yeah if he continues this working life style he's going to burn out. He needs to take a month off, take a holiday and reset himself. While the fans admire his dedication, we don't want Oda san hurting himself. One Piece can wait.

Oda's a workaholic, i heard he barelly sees his family, they should give him 1 to 3 months off, he can even think of the plot in this vacation if he wants to, but he should rest and stop having to think about schedules for a while. Hell, i wouldn't mind if he took hiatuses between story arcs like Togashi does with his series.

The anime team won't like this though, they already have an exageratedly slow pace, with this it may get worse.

There was a chapter this week, i though Oda was in Hospital

He may have got enough done during the two weeks since the last issue. We don't know the full details of his illness so it may not be as sinister as some are making it out to be.

Anyone been keeping up with One Piece, damn this saga is epic.

There are times where i am more excited than others, but this last chapter was amazing, didn't think we would get so much in this saga, i thought the Yonkos would be left for after Dressrosa, but s*** is definitelly going down now. I just hope Luffy's power progression isn't rushed, they're strong, but i don't think they're Admiral level yet, let alone Yonko level.

Chapter just came out earlier, and just look who's back :word:

Chapter just came out earlier, and just look who's back :word:

mrw
giphy.gif

I know right, this is shaping up to being the biggest saga ever. Anymore surprises like that from Oda and we all may end up having heart attacks.

Fortunately this was more or less foreshadowed early on, so i guess [BLACKOUT]Sabo must be admiral level by now, or maybe close, considering he was Ace's age and Luffy/ Ace's power progression matches by their ages (Luffy is possibly as strong as Ace right now). [/BLACKOUT] Let's see how strong he is compared to Jesus.

Fortunately this was more or less foreshadowed early on, so i guess [BLACKOUT]Sabo must be admiral level by now, or maybe close, considering he was Ace's age and Luffy/ Ace's power progression matches by their ages (Luffy is possibly as strong as Ace right now). [/BLACKOUT] Let's see how strong he is compared to Jesus.

If Oda is structuring the NW portion of OP like the GL (Dressrosa is eerily similar to Alabasta), I think it may be fair to say that [BLACKOUT]Sabo's strength is on par with Ace had he lived past the 2 year timeskip.[/BLACKOUT]

Yeah, i'm finding it very similar to Alabasta with false heroes, i was refering to that, had Ace lived 2 more years, and considering Luffy has a similar development, then Ace would possibly be close to Admiral Level by now.

[BLACKOUT]And i want to see Luffy asking Sabo why he didn't try rescuing Ace, and possibly Sabo's reaction when Ace died [/BLACKOUT]

I'm also wondering if with the appearance of Koala, will Jinbei arrive to finally join the Strawhats.

Didn't realise that was the Koala girl from Fishmen flashback, would really like to see Aarlong again, just to see his reaction at certain events and characters.

Wonder how Fujitora will be able to accomplish what he wants, if he starts attacking the system of the Shichibukai, then the world Government will probably not be too happy and he could be branded a traitor. But i can see Akainu wanting the same, and why they seemed to be on such friendly terms.

I also have to wonder how they'll handle the Admiral, i don't think Luffy or Zoro are still on that level, so i would imagine that the day Zoro takes out Fujitora will be on the same day that Luffy takes out an Yonko, However Doflamingo is definitelly going down soon, knowing Oda, Luffy will be the one giving the finishing blow, so by the end of the arc i guess we can expect the main character to be around high vice-admiral level?

I doubt Luffy will defeat Fujitora, so his ascencion into Admiral level will possibly come when he defeats either Green Bull or Borsalino, i honestly think that Borsalino should be left for Sanji to defeat in the final war of the manga, so Fujitora will have to leave the picture somehow, without being actually defeated.

Sorry for replying late, and not much in the thread anymore, but haven't been on the site much at all lately. Yes, a certain char's return was awesome. I was expecting it, but just didn't think it would have come where it did. My guess, Luffy let's him keep the fire fruit
since Sabo is a brother to Luffy just like Ace was, couldn't think of anymore more fitting to carry on Ace's role, and power.
Then he will probably join the crew afterward. Which, again, would be awesome :woot:.

I also think Luffy will beat Dofla. I'm wondering, since they like doing wacky things to Luffy that give him a handicap, if he will be turned into a toy temporarily. I expected Law to be turned into one after his defeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"