Stepping stones or the worst job i ever had thread

I was stupid and just plain lazy for having spent 8 years working at three different McDonald's, I was too lazy to go to a local college that I didn't think straight and because working at the McD's was my only outlet for talking to the cute female co-workers since I didn't have much of a social life.

Since 2005 I've been working as a bank teller in two places, it isn't much but the customers are not as picky as McDonald's customers.

I had two jobs. Prep in the restaurant for am shift, starting aroun 9-9:30 and a night shift on a grill in 24/7 McDonalds starting usually around 8pm-4am.

Try cleaning the grills, at 1-2 am. You need to take off grease protective covers from the grill presses (the press that you put down when cooking meat) and to take them off you need to squeeze your hand between the heater and the press in an opening that is about 1-1.5 inches wide. From beneath the heater waits for your mistake at about 1000 degrees fahrenheit. I still have a small reminder on my skin from trying to do it for the first time.

Then imagine cleaning the inside of container for french fries. It is cleaned once a day and you're the guy to clean it. McDs sells like a ton of fries a day. There's enough salt in there to make Mississippi river more salty than an Ocean.

All this while you need to cook for those who show up in the drive through from 1-4am. And trust me there are a lot more of them than you'd believe.

I have been there with UPS for just 4 hours seem like 12:o

I did the seasonal driver helper in December a few years ago. I was glad when that ended.

I recently watched The Promotion, brought back a lot of memories of my grocery store days. You don't really know how awful people are until you work directly with large amounts of customers.

All this while you need to cook for those who show up in the drive through from 1-4am. And trust me there are a lot more of them than you'd believe.
Tell me about it, who eats fast food at 3am in the morning? go home and sleep.

I worked night shift in the debone department at a chicken plant earlier this year. An eight hour shift of standing in line next to mostly work release inmates from a nearby prison, cutting chickens in the early hours of the morning. I was only there 4 weeks but my hands still hurt for 2-3 months after.

I'm thankful for that experience because any job I may have from here on out will likely seem much, much better in comparison.

I did the seasonal driver helper in December a few years ago. I was glad when that ended.

I recently watched The Promotion, brought back a lot of memories of my grocery store days. You don't really know how awful people are until you work directly with large amounts of customers.

CO-SIGN!!!:cmad:

I did that two years ago. I thought it was kinda fun. My driver was a Jehova's Witness and we started talking about evolution (the conversation began with him talking about the "lie" of Christmas). It made for some interesting days. And I got to explore where I lived more in-depth than I ever had before, which was nice.

My current one is pretty bad. I'm a baker and I enjoy the work but it's a small company (around 50 people) it's run by a family. There's the Owner, his brother is General Manager, wife, nephew and sister both work in the plant. The GM is a good guy and actually understands the work we do and gets his hands dirty to fix things and help us out if we need it. The family does whatever they want to (big surprise) and a few weeks ago one of them got into a huge fight with one of the Supervisors as they wanted to leave 2-3 hours ahead of everyone else but we had a few people call in sick so they were under staffed as it was. They left anyway and the rest of the team had to stay another 1-2 hours on top of the projected time.

The owner really has no idea what is happening in his plant anymore. My direct supervisor runs two lines and has around 12 people reporting to him on a daily basis, he's a good guy and extremely competent at his job, before he took over we usually had an extra 20-30% waste of time and product just getting things to work properly so we could mix. Everything runs very smoothly when he's running the lines.

The owner has been b****ing him out for months now due to the hours spent and waste due to the lines constantly breaking down due to the fact we can't get proper parts/regular maintenance on the machines. We've filed dozens of reports on everything that breaks and it still takes months for anything to be fixed. I filed a complaint about the wheels on my dough bins (that carry a minimum of 300-400 pounds every time, loading each of them with dough slamming about 20-30 times a day from a five foot drop) back in May and they just got fixed a few weeks ago, the bearings were shot, the wheels were almost falling off and we had to keep screwing the nuts back on.

The sensors for the lines are broken so we have to have a delicate jury rigging system set up to make the line work. If a certain wire gets hit the entire system shuts down, it's the same type of issue on both lines (mixing and packing) and both wires are easily hit due to the placement of them.

Best of all is four things happening at the same time

1) We have an audit for an international company happening in the next few weeks that determines if we have any contracts (read: jobs) for the next year or not and my line is 100% going to fail it and if they check certain things we could have a auto fail which could mean the plant could close.

2) The cooling tower/oven system we have setup has had so much patchwork jury rigging done that we can no longer order parts directly from the manufacturer, our lone maintenance man must WELD NEW PARTS into existence and my entire line needs a massive rewiring job which would take weeks to redo as it also is a mishmash of fixes over the years.

3) We have been told that due to a massive amount of construction happening (for the last several months) that they will not post pone any audit no matter the cause unless the entire plant is shut down for the duration so we don't even have that grace period.

And best of all :D
4) The owner has let it been known down the line of management that since that there is a air pressure control system in my area and that it cost alot of money that if it gets broken that he's decided that the repairs would come out of our paychecks. It just so happens to be completely out of the sight of the cameras and the construction crew has taken to parking the extremely large and unwieldy scissorlift right beside it that they drive like a half broken bus and tend to crash into things every now and then. they haven't even bothered to put back the protective guard that was stopping it from getting hit in the first place after they moved it a few months ago.

When I first heard that was his new proclamation I laughed. I thought my Sup. was kidding. If the owner had said that to us directly I would have laughed in his face just because it was completely ridiculous. The whole system costs around $7000-$10,000 to replace. If they want us to pay that then they're kidding themselves. They pay us minimum wage and just are getting insurance/benefits for the staff after being in business for over 20 years. I'm positive that there's no legal way for them to make us pay for that when they would be no way to verify who did what and that there's no preventive steps taken whatsoever.

So yeah, that be my job. I'm going in for surgery in a few days for my hands and expect to be off for a few weeks (I'm going to go friggin crazy with boredom) and I'll be looking for a new job. I love my co workers (mostly, there's several I couldn't care less about) and enjoy the job (except for the above) but I can't do this job anymore.

Edit: Sorry for the novel. Just actually writing it all out just points out exactly how much is wrong with the place. Just looking at how much is there and the stuff I didn't include tells me just how bad it's gotten. I tend to just take it all in stride and deal with the small stuff instead of the whole thing at once.

Love the post man...love the post:cwink:

You're welcome. I hope you enjoyed the novel. I should have another out sometime next year :p

I had a construction job digging holes on the side of the road in the middle of summer. I wanted to die everyday.

This has been the worst week I have ever had in my professional life. I may very well be out of work here soon if one more customer decides to give me an attitude for no reason whatsoever. My patience and my temper have a breaking point, and Lord knows these people are trying their damnedest to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"