Steve Carell and 'The Office' creator Greg Daniels reuniting for 'Space Force' (Netflix)

This looks fun!

I’d bet good money there’s a high profile cameo for the president.
Either that or it winds up like Veep and they jump threw hoops to never show POTUS.

I really hope Patrick Warburton is more than just a cameo.

Never seen The Office, but this looks like a lot of fun and it has a awesome cast. I especially love seeing Diedrich Bader in this who I've been a fan of ever since The Drew Carey Show.

Should be Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I know it won't be. That's just my wishful thinking. Sorry, but after Veep, I can't hear POTUS and not immediately think Selina Meyer.

Should be Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I know it won't be. That's just my wishful thinking. Sorry, but after Veep, I can't hear POTUS and not immediately think Selina Meyer.
Especially since this trailer feels a lot more like Veep in style and tone than The Office.

Yeah I was getting more Veep vibes than Office

I just watched The Launch. To bad duty calls so I can't binge the rest.
R.I.P Fred Willard

Yeah, I am only one episode in on Space Force but so far none of the characters are really enjoyable other than Malkovich playing Scientist Malkovich. I'm already sick of the daughter storyline and it's barely started!

But I will also say that beyond character issues and not-great gags, I think the style of the show is working against it. You picture this same basic show in sort of that looser, more improv-friendly style that The Office and Parks & Rec had, and I think it would probably come off funnier. Instead, it is very rigid in style and performance in a way that's almost like a less quirky, less visually inspired, and less effective Wes Anderson. It is very polished... but polish is frequently not funny.

I think some more devil-may-care energy is desperately needed. But maybe it gets better.

It gets better but this series really is understated. The laughs aren't there most of the time, just chuckles. It is not bad but it could be funnier too.

Yeah I binged this on Saturday on and off. It's fine.
It could be funnier, but at the same time it kinda feels like this would be a better sketch on SNL or wherever than a multi season show. Or maybe even a movie. I just think the premise will wear thin.

They have great actors and pretty good set up. I think there's potential here. A lot of shows have mediocre first seasons, but if the potential is there they can grasp it.

I guess I might be in the minority, but I actually really enjoyed this show. I mean its not always hilarious or as funny as I thought it would be, but I just loved seeing this cast riff and interact with each other, especially Carell and Malkovich.I needed more of those scenes with Diedrich Bader, Noah Emmerich, Jane Lynch, Patrick Warburton, Larry Joe Campbell and Dan Bakkedahl though, because those were honestly some of my favorite scenes in each of the episodes. I could definitely see this show getting better down the line if it gets more seasons, because I'm definitely down for watching another season. Also, RIP Fred Willard.

I am on ep 5 and honestly from the start I thought this was... Amazing. The first episode is almost perfect as a comedy series pilot in terms of quickling and easily getting us caught up on premise, characters, tone and what the rolling plots and plot points going forward and more to the point... I thought episodes 1-5 were all winners. Not a terrible ep in the bunch.

What stands out most is how Daniels' influence can be seen so clearly. In terms of pacing and the timing for the humor this is in many ways something far closer to a live action animated comedy than to The Office. In fact the rythms, tone and character feel very much like King Of The Hill. Also similar is that Carell's character while being occasionally over the top is not JUST that. As a character he's very close to Hank Hill in a lot of ways. You can see some LIGHT touches of dramedy which felt quite King Of The Hill.

All I can say is... I'm in so far in a big way. The cast is stellar beyond reason and I love the dialogue.

I liked the second half of the season more of then the first and I will watch more if they make it. But I don't think it is a good show. Beyond the material just not being funny, there isn't much focus to it all. It all feels kind of meaningless at it's heart, without a hook. The show has kind of started the way the Office and Parks and Rec started. With a rather unlikable protagonist. The big difference here though is there is no one else to really root for. Naird is kind of a crappy person, and there isn't much to soften that out. Even his scenes with his family which might do that, are kind of drowned out by his incompetence. Because of this, it feels like they made Grabaston a complete joke, whose attacks on Naird don't even seem to make sense. I am sure they will try to fix that as they did with Michael and Knope, but those shows has a ton of episodes and you didn't have to wait a year to get back to things.

The things I have grabbed onto, (Erin, Angela, and Kaifang) all feel peripheral. They get a few minutes an episodes, while we spend most of our time on an A plot about something that has no real reason to exist. I do like Malkovich as Mallory, but the material just isn't all that funny with him except for one rather great scene.

I'm feeling bored during the first episode. Not very funny and not much direction.

I did think when seeing Carell and the other guy looking out of the bunker at the exploding rocket that it would've been great if there was a similar scene in the Hulk and if he had a gamma bomb origin in the MCU instead of the super soldier serum.

I liked the second half of the season more of then the first and I will watch more if they make it. But I don't think it is a good show. Beyond the material just not being funny, there isn't much focus to it all. It all feels kind of meaningless at it's heart, without a hook. The show has kind of started the way the Office and Parks and Rec started. With a rather unlikable protagonist. The big difference here though is there is no one else to really root for. Naird is kind of a crappy person, and there isn't much to soften that out. Even his scenes with his family which might do that, are kind of drowned out by his incompetence. Because of this, it feels like they made Grabaston a complete joke, whose attacks on Naird don't even seem to make sense. I am sure they will try to fix that as they did with Michael and Knope, but those shows has a ton of episodes and you didn't have to wait a year to get back to things.

The things I have grabbed onto, (Erin, Angela, and Kaifang) all feel peripheral. They get a few minutes an episodes, while we spend most of our time on an A plot about something that has no real reason to exist. I do like Malkovich as Mallory, but the material just isn't all that funny with him except for one rather great scene.

Hard disagree here, but I will ask you this... Do you think this would work better for you if it were animated?

Hard disagree here, but I will ask you this... Do you think this would work better for you if it were animated?
I can't imagine what that would change about it for me. The comedy isn't snappy/quick enough for animation, and I can't imagine a lot of deadpan staring helping. Rick and Morty, it is not. The show lacks edge for what it is theoretically trying to do. It's like what if a bunch of middle aged dudes wrote "The Thick of It" but secretly sympathized with how ****ty they are. :funny:

That actually brings me back to one of my issues. The episodes are way too long. They would have been better off with like 13 20-min episodes, then 10 30-min episodes imo. But I guess that would have cost more.

Never seen The Office, but this looks like a lot of fun and it has a awesome cast. I especially love seeing Diedrich Bader in this who I've been a fan of ever since The Drew Carey Show.
Oh you need to try The Office (either version). So good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"