Comics Storm & T'Challa: Royal Wedding Countdown Discussion

OutcryX said:
Who said ANYTHING about poor impoverished people? NOBODY. Kinda like that broad generalization you just made about Black people being poor with nappy hair. All that was stated is that Storm looks rather 'butch' in that picture...in some people's opinions. If that is how you envision beauty...thats your opinion...but do not put words into people's mouths.

The impoverished reply was about the other girl in the comic, not Storm.

LittleMissVixen said:
Farewell to the X-Men

UNCXANN001_cover.jpg

She'll come back.

Both covers look great, I love the first one, she looks like a woman. Sorry if that offends you but it's my opinion ;)

I'm surprised her eyebrows are white. I was never sure about it, but I guess all her body hair is white. Except for the eyelashes.

Red Mask said:
The impoverished reply was about the other girl in the comic, not Storm.

thanks for the clarification

Red Mask said:
I'm surprised her eyebrows are white. I was never sure about it, but I guess all her body hair is white. Except for the eyelashes.

Movie Storm had black eyebrows and white hair, which I always thought looked stupid. That's why I'm loving the new X3 wig (with the gray/black low-lights mixed in), because now the brows make sense.

JustABill said:
It's based off the fanboys perfect Storm, Angela Basset, that's why Outcry. That picture is a testimant to why we are blessed to have not only a woman known to play fierce black women, but a beautiful one too.

No. Besides the HIDEOUS eyebrows, its a beautiful picture.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Movie Storm had black eyebrows and white hair, which I always thought looked stupid. That's why I'm loving the new X3 wig (with the gray/black low-lights mixed in), because now the brows make sense.

But Storm's eyebrows were always unusual, like her eyes and hair. They don't normally grow along the top of her eyesockets. Instead, they travel upwards to an extreme angle, like Wolfsbane and Namor. Namor made sense because Atlanteans have skullls more concave like a fish. Wolfbane's eyebrows were a hint of her tranforming power to a wolf.

That's probably why the Storm cover has her appear fierce. If you cover the eyebrows you'll notice her eyes aren't angry.

I think Storm looks pretty in that picture. She looks ethnic, exotic, and African. Not some mix Afro-American comfort version of Storm. The storm of that cover looks like she is from Africa, not born in America -- like many artists draw Storm today.

I'm sorry, but most Africans do not look like Tyra Bank or Halle Berry, who are simply Americanized versions that stand a far cry from "tradtional African mores."

To me, I see that picture, I think Storm.

Can anyone tell me the name of that artist who drew the cover of Uncanny Annual?

bosef982 said:
I think Storm looks pretty in that picture. She looks ethnic, exotic, and African. Not some mix Afro-American comfort version of Storm. The storm of that cover looks like she is from Africa, not born in America -- like many artists draw Storm today.

I'm sorry, but most Africans do not look like Tyra Bank or Halle Berry, who are simply Americanized versions that stand a far cry from "tradtional African mores."

Storm was born in America. Her mother was Kenyan, and the father was a Black American.

Hotaru said:
Can anyone tell me the name of that artist who drew the cover of Uncanny Annual?

You mean the one above with Storm leaving the X-Men? Looks like Leinil Yu's style, right?

Storm is inlove and wants to spend some bootknocking time with her man! Geez, they are newlyweds!! Give her some time....she'll be back.

bosef982 said:

First off, beauty is beauty no matter where you're from. Secondly, Storm was born in america. Harlem to be specific. Her father is as American as they come. Her mother is Kenyan. So for her to be drawn as "some mix Afro-American" is not inaccurate at all, but spot on.

Personally I think Storm is gorgeous period, but her looks have little to do with why I admire her character so much. It's her integrity.

weatherwitch said:
First off, beauty is beauty no matter where you're from. Secondly, Storm was born in america. Harlem to be specific. Her father is as American as they come. Her mother is Kenyan. So for her to be drawn as "some mix Afro-American" is not inaccurate at all, but spot on.

Personally I think Storm is gorgeous period, but her looks have little to do with why I admire her character so much. It's her integrity.

So true...except I just am not a fan of THAT particular picture of her....just doesn't do anything for me. I mean..you can still tell its Storm...just a real manly drag-queenish version of her

Even if that's what "African" features are like, I just don't find any beauty in it. Wait, aren't we supposed to be talking about Storm's mini-series? =P

S7ilver said:
Even if that's what "African" features are like, I just don't find any beauty in it. Wait, aren't we supposed to be talking about Storm's mini-series? =P

Don't get it twisted. Not all African woman look like that. That is a mis-informed generalization...lets not let that rumor live for long. Africa has some of if not THE most beautfiul women on the planet....that picture of Storm isn't though....

i havent picked this up, is it good? worth it?

the story is about her childhood right?

OutcryX said:
Don't get it twisted. Not all African woman look like that. That is a mis-informed generalization...lets not let that rumor live for long. Africa has some of if not THE most beautfiul women on the planet....that picture of Storm isn't though....

Agreed. That picture does not portray the beautiful strong but feminine Storm we are used to seeing, and although I in no way find it hideous, it doesn't say "Storm" to me.

She has the same facial structure as Eurydice in "Black Orpheus". That woman was beautiful.

spark627 said:

Yes. It was a great read. Its about her childhood in Africa, along with flashbacks to her parents in NYC.

spark627 said:

Despite my opposition to the BP/Storm union, I would recommend that any Storm fan pic up the 6 issue run. :)

Spark627 said:

So far, this series is off to a great start. It is an excellent read. Let's just hope they maintain the momentum and quality of storytelling and artwork for the entire series.

bosef982 said:

Um....huh???

Africans come in all shapes, colors and sizes. FYI we have no "traditional" textbook look. And Storm has been drawn in nearly every way imaginable considering those variations.

For example: Personally I am of Egyptian/African-American heritage. These Egyptian relatives of mine are certainly considered African (same continent), yet they don't have the full lips, or broad noses that your "traditional African mores" comments would seem to be suggesting. If anything, they have more European-features: high cheekbones, thin lips, slanted beautiful wide eyes and caramel complexion. Halle Berry's features would fit in with them just fine actually. For centuries, people of this African culture have possessed these features.

nefertiti.jpg

nefertiti_1.jpg

Now, lay your eyes on some of our modern-day Egyptians...note the variety in beauty, yet the absence of features that some people would consider "African." Notice the varying complexion shades--from dark-skin to very fair. Truly we don't all "look alike":

housepre.jpg

Sean_Paul.jpg

spo_parker_040727_165.jpg

1898932.jpg

conyers.jpg

When one thinks of "African" the above faces may not come to mind first. We may automatically assume that such ones should look like the hut-dwelling, jungle-running, naked sun-darkened peoples the media generally equates with the African continent. And yet the people pictured above can still easily be taken for black by general definitions.

But in actuality, modern Egyptians as a people are a mixture of Black African, Mediterranean European (sometimes Greek), Asiatic Arab (often Syrian Arabs), Levantine, and Turkish people. You can also add little dashes of admixture from peoples like Armenians and Italians who often intermarry with Egyptians. Those unions often result in some of the most beautiful people i.e. Paula Abdul, Yul Brynner, etc. And of course, Halle Berry, the actress who plays "Storm" is also multicultural and shares similiar stunning features.

We know that comic Storm has ties to Cairo and Kenya, but she is African-American. That means that her features could be drawn from any one of several varying gene pools. Therefore, as far as comic drawings are concerned there is no such thing as an "Americanized" standard look for Storm--she can look like any one of us and still be "African".