Student suspended from school for saying no to drugs

Morg

Grumpy mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Another Dumbass School Official Story

Posted on: March 10, 2010 9:02 AM, by Ed Brayton

It seems to me that it may be time to give all school administrators a course in remedial thinking. Here's another absolutely ridiculous case where a student was suspended from school after turning down drugs from another student.

The parents of a Kentuckiana seventh grade student say their young daughter was suspended from school for doing exactly what she's been taught to do for years - to just say no to drugs.

The girl did not bring the prescription drug to her Jeffersonville, IN school, nor did she take it, but she admits that she touched it and in Greater Clark County Schools that is drug possession.

Here are the details:

Rachael Greer said it happened on Feb. 23 during fifth period gym class at River Valley Middle School when a girl walked into the locker room with a bag of pills.

"She was talking to another girl and me about them and she put one in my hand and I was like, 'I don't want this,' so I put it back in the bag and I went to gym class," said Rachael.

The pills were the prescription ADHD drug, Adderall. Patty Greer, Rachael's mother, said she and her husband are proud of their daughter for turning down drugs, just like she's been taught for years by DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) instructors at school.

"I'm proud her conscience kicked in and she said, 'No, I'm not taking this. Here you can have it back,'" Patty Greer said.

But just saying no didn't end the trouble for Rachael. During the next period, an assistant principal came and took Rachael out of class. It turned out the girl who originally had the pills and a few other students got caught. That's when the assistant principal gave Rachael a decision.

"We're suspending you for five days because it was in your hand," said Rachael.

After hearing the news, Patty Greer went to school officials.

"He said she wrote it down on a witness statement and she had told the truth, he said she was very, very honest and he said he was sorry he had to do it but it was school policy," said Patty Greer.

According to Greater Clark County Schools district policy, even a touch equals drug possession and a one week suspension.

"The fact of the matter is, there were drugs on school campus and it was handled, so there was a violation of our policy," said Martin Bell, COO of Greater Clark County Schools.

We wanted to know what would have happened if Rachael had told a teacher right away. Bell said the punishment would not have been any different. District officials say if they're not strict about drug policies no one will take them seriously.

As if someone could or should take them seriously now? The kid did the right thing. She should be applauded, not punished.

wow

simpsonsnelsonhaha2m.jpg

Hey, the school administrations are just following the stupidity of our government and the interpretation of the laws. Gotta prepare the girl for the real world when that pill becomes weed and the DEA come busting down your door because you were spotted touching it.

so when the principal confiscated the drugs, he handled the prescription drug, does he get suspended too?

That would be fair and using common sense though. Clearly this school has none.

I am sure if the girl had gone to the administration when she was offered the drug, she wouldnt have been suspended.

Personally, this doesnt outrage me all that much. El Citrus actually makes a great point in that the lesson she learns from this is more important than anything she would have learned during this week of school.

Enjoy the week off, knowing you didnt do wrong. Its not like this sort of situation has any consequences outside of the week of school.

WOW is right. Somebody needs to be hit with a common sense stick a few times.

I am sure if the girl had gone to the administration when she was offered the drug, she wouldnt have been suspended.

We wanted to know what would have happened if Rachael had told a teacher right away. Bell said the punishment would not have been any different. District officials say if they're not strict about drug policies no one will take them seriously

Based on this statement within the same article I am guessing it wouldn't have made a difference, which to me is completely idiotic.

Based on this statement within the same article I am guessing it wouldn't have made a difference, which to me is completely idiotic.

LOL. That certainly makes the school look worse. Much, much worse.

Again though, I don't feel bad for the kid. She gets a week off school and the sort of everyone. She wins big here.

but wouldn't the suspension show up in her permanent record?

Nice to see that high school hasn't changed. The people in charge are STILL idiots

that's as bad as the kid who got a camping silverware set at a school event and got suspended for bringing it to school (guess a butter knife type knife is a weapon) or the kid who had a toy gun for a action figure that was like 3/4" long and was suspended for bringing a gun to school :doh:.

that's as bad as the kid who got a camping silverware set at a school event and got suspended for bringing it to school (guess a butter knife type knife is a weapon) or the kid who had a toy gun for a action figure that was like 3/4" long and was suspended for bringing a gun to school :doh:.

:dry:

What's going on in the world today? So crazy!

Crazy world we live in when a child is suspended for doing the right thing.

And I think Motown Marvel makes a point

since when is being suspended a punishment? 5 days off school? love it!

but yea the schools rule makers are ****ing idjits.

I'm not sure how any school official could justify this punishment though. We're all mostly reasonable people here and seem to all agree that the decision to suspend her was boneheaded... So where are the people that think this was right?

And people wonder why no one takes these school officials seriously?

but wouldn't the suspension show up in her permanent record?

Permanent Records are not Prominent Records. Nobody ever reads them. What this girl has is a note written in a file that nobody will ever look at again 5 years from now.

Five years from now that might be true but suspension records can play a part in college acceptance.

Permanent Records are not Prominent Records. Nobody ever reads them. What this girl has is a note written in a file that nobody will ever look at again 5 years from now.

Don't be too sure, I have seen reports on the news about people old records coming back to bite them when going for a job or college, hell some work force actually do a check on you in facebook and myspace and more and they actually been a few not getting a job or college due to something in their past or online

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"