School punishes honor student for buying Skittles candy

Who the hell comes up with a no candy rule.......
Communists, thats who

We had video games in the 1980's too, but nowadays it's gotten downright obsessive. The online thing only made it worse, to be honest. Now fat kids from all over the globe are slowly gaining weight together.

Yeah, my friends and I played video games when we were kids, we all had Nintendo, Super Nintendo and/or Genesis in Jr. High and High School. We usually only played video games when we'd have sleep overs though. Can't remember too many times that we'd spend a nice day outside inside playing video games, unless we were waiting for more people to get there or already spent a lot of time outside.

Yeah, my friends and I played video games when we were kids, we all had Nintendo, Super Nintendo and/or Genesis in Jr. High and High School. We usually only played video games when we'd have sleep overs though. Can't remember too many times that we'd spend a nice day outside inside playing video games, unless we were waiting for more people to get there or already spent a lot of time outside.

Being indoors is no fun when it's nice outside. Like today; 70 degrees here in GA. My brother will spend his day kicking some online ass in COD4; when I leave work, I'm playing 18 (or maybe 36) at the local Par 3. Different times, I guess.

I like how they played it out like a drug deal. The kid was being secretive about it, and threw the candy.

"Yo, man...yo, yo, yo..check this out. You want some Skittles? I got the good **** right here...just a little bit, man."

"Nah, I don't do Skittles."

"Come on, man....you can taste the rainbow with these little sons of *****es. Come on...the first one is on me. The purple ones...will get you HIGHER than a mother****er, swear to God."

"Well...ok."
Best post I've read all day, Terry. Bravo.

http://www.nhregister.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily;jsessionid=10GbHZjh77xDtl4n2JpLd1dd3khDQzhrLq7YnCGnDFv79Yfhx5Mv!-594841643?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FNHR%2FHome&r21.content=%2FNHR%2FHome%2FFeaturedArticle_Story_1728241

School candy furor finds sweet conclusion
By Elizabeth Benton, Register Staff

NEW HAVEN — Skittlegate flared up like a media supernova, and now, two days later, it’s over.

On Wednesday, public school officials agreed to expunge a one-day suspension for Michael Sheridan, an eighth-grader who was punished for buying a $1 bag of candy, against district policy, in Sheridan Communications and Technology Magnet School. The Skittles seller also had his record cleared.

After meeting with Michael’s parents, Sheridan Principal Eleanor Turner agreed to erase suspension records and allow Michael to resume his post as Student Council vice president. Superintendent of Schools Reginald Mayo also attended the session.

“In looking back over this incident, I warned the students repeatedly, but I should have reinforced it in writing to parents, that the district does not allow buying and selling candy at school,” Turner said in a statement released by the district. “My intention throughout was — and still is — to maintain a safe and orderly building. I am sorry that this has happened. My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut Mastery Test.”

Turner added, “When students are allowed to break school rules like this, it does lead to problems. Letting students carry large sums of money around, letting them buy and sell and eat candy in classrooms, disrupting the instructional day, and the risks it poses to students with allergies, are truly hazards.”

The Sheridan eighth-grader has been caught in a media maelstrom since his mother, Shelli Sheridan, protested his three-day suspension for purchasing the candy in a school hallway.

While the suspension was originally reduced to one day, Michael also was stripped of his class vice presidency and barred from attending a school honors dinner.

“Why did we go to that extreme?” asked Shelli Sheridan, prior to meeting with Mayo and Turner.

Michael’s story spread to over 100 newspapers nationally after appearing in the New Haven Register Wednesday. Shelli Sheridan said she returned from work Wednesday to find 18 phone messages. There also were two notes in her door and reporters at her home, she said. Fox News called, offering a ride to their New York City studios for an interview, she said.

Michael said local news crews were kicked out of his school.

“It’s unbelievable. I can’t get over it,” Shelli Sheridan said.

On Wednesday, Mayo announced he was reviewing the discipline. He made a point of voicing his support for Turner, and the spirit in which she acted, claiming she was “maintaining a safe, orderly environment in which students are not distracted.”

“The question is, was the punishment too harsh? That’s something we need to evaluate. I am hoping we can resolve this quickly,” Mayo said in a prepared statement.

Shelli Sheridan left the meeting satisfied, although still miffed that her son missed the honors dinner. And she remained mystified that this was all over a bag of Skittles.

“What ever happened to writing an essay?” she said of a possible punishment.

Even Wednesday, school officials at first said Michael had to earn back his position as Student Council vice president, Shelli Sheridan said.

“I kept having to bring them back. ... ‘It’s candy,’” she said.

New Haven Public Schools banned candy sales and fundraisers in 2003, part of the districtwide school wellness policy. While the policy says that “no candy or junk food fundraisers will be allowed on school grounds” and only “healthy snacks will be sold in vending machines selling food products,” it does not address snacks shared between students at school when no money changes hands.

Mayo maintained the incident “did not happen in isolation,” that the school had an “ongoing issue” with candy sales, and that the school principal had warned students they could face discipline for selling or buying candy.

Remember kids, candy rots your teeth.

but only if you never ever brush, floss, rinse or maintain your teeth in any form at any point in your entire life

I like how they played it out like a drug deal. The kid was being secretive about it, and threw the candy.

"Yo, man...yo, yo, yo..check this out. You want some Skittles? I got the good **** right here...just a little bit, man."

"Nah, I don't do Skittles."

"Come on, man....you can taste the rainbow with these little sons of *****es. Come on...the first one is on me. The purple ones...will get you HIGHER than a mother****er, swear to God."

"Well...ok."

:lmao: wow . . . Terry actually made me laugh :o

These candies might have been laced with extra flavor.

skittles2.jpg

[YT]e6nDyeV0i6w[/YT]

You notice, every single Skittles commercial that's been out for the past couple of years, seems like it was created by people that were high. :o

Schools don't need to ban Sodas, Candy, Cookies, Potato Chips and stuff. They don't even need to have much say so in what a child eats or does. The parents need to get over their asses and tell their kids to get outside for at least an hour and 30 minutes a day to burn this **** off.

You notice, every single Skittles commercial that's been out for the past couple of years, seems like it was created by people that were high. :o

They also seem bitterly depressing . The guy that turns everything he touches into skittles is a bleak commercial.

chocolate_skittles_mix.jpg

I haven't seen these yet. I'm going to start calling all the black girls I know chocolate skittles. :o

First comes skittles, then comes meth? :huh:

chocolate_skittles_mix.jpg

I haven't seen these yet. I'm going to start calling all the black girls I know chocolate skittles. :o
We've got those in the stockroom at work, we just haven't sold them to the public yet.

I liked chocolate skittles better when they were called M&Ms.

Good for the school...today its skittles...tomorrow M&M's..gotta stop somewhere.

Schools don't need to ban Sodas, Candy, Cookies, Potato Chips and stuff. They don't even need to have much say so in what a child eats or does. The parents need to get over their asses and tell their kids to get outside for at least an hour and 30 minutes a day to burn this **** off.

Luckily, my parents never had to tell me to go outside. I just wanted to go play some ball, ride some bikes, go hang out with my friends...something. My brother talks to his friends online. I'm like, "Hop on that bike and go see that sucka!"

I ate more junk food than any kid I knew, but I was active, so I worked it off. I was once grounded for 3 months, and I got chunky 'cause I couldn't go outside and play with my friends.

But the bigger problem is, parents don't want to take the blame for their kids being fatasses. It's the candy they get at school that gets the kids, not the 5 nights of drive-thru and 50 hours of online gaming a week.

Man, I'm glad I went to high school in the 90s. We had vending machines with sodas, candy, gum, and cookies. That was pretty dope.

I went to school in the 80s, we had class parties where all the food was from Burger King. :wow:

But like everyone else...we played outside all day. I don't remember these problems like we have now. I think playing has been so programmed into sports activities and playdates, that kids just don't go outside and play like we used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"