• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Stupid Router!

ihateusernames

Civilian
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with this.
My laptop got stolen a few weeks ago, so I got myself a new one.

The problem with it is, it doesn't pick up on my routers wireless signal.
I know it can pick up wireless, because it had done before I got it to my house (I tried it out in my mums).

So I have to connect via the ethernet cable.
I'm new to this wireless stuff, so any help would be great.

I know the router works too though, because my Wii is online.

I just don't understand the problem! :cmad:

I can't really help you with this - I have plenty of my own problems with wireless. You'd probably have more luck having this in the Tech Support forum ;)

See, there is a nice way of saying that you're stupid and posting in the wrong places :)

:D

Sorry dudey :)

Just take notice of the first half of my post, the second half was purely jest ;)

Tricky one that. There are lots of potential causes and a fair few possible solutions too mate. Have a read of what I can think of:

Firstly, what type of laptop do you have (Make/Model)?

If you try what’s below and it doesn’t work, this would be useful to know.

Do you know who makes the Wireless Card (look in Device Manager under ‘Network Adapters’)?

If you access the properties of the Wireless Card (through Device Manager), look at the ‘Advanced’ tab if available and have a look for a setting called ‘Roaming Aggressiveness’ – This setting dictates how often the Wireless Card will try to search for another Access Point with a potentially better signal, but as you only have the one, you could probably get away with setting that to the lowest value.

You can also have a look for ‘Transmit’ and/or ‘Receive’ Power settings, they can be set to the maximum level and also have a look for ‘Power Management’ – Your laptop might be configured to save power by disabling the Wireless card when not in use, so set it to ‘Always on’ or ‘Constantly Awake’ if you can.

Does Windows control the wireless settings or is it another 3rd party application from the makers of the Wireless Card? Some examples:

Belkin
Intel
Atheros
Cisco
Buffalo
Broadcom
Netgear
Linksys

If it’s not Windows that’s controlling it, your problem could be that the Windows Wireless service (Wireless Zero Config Service) is interfering with it. It can be disabled, (Start – Run – Services.msc – Double-click ‘Wireless Zero Config Service’ click ‘Stop’ and ‘Apply’ then set the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Disabled’) – If it is controlled by Windows, doing that will stop it working altogether but it’s easy enough to set it back again to Automatic.

When it’s connected, what kind of signal strength are you getting?

Do you notice anything happening just before the Wireless drops off?

Anything electrical near/between the laptop/Homehub that could be interfering?

Anything in the event log to suggest there might be a problem with something?

Does it re-establish the connection of its own accord or do you have to manually re-connect it again each time?

Are there any other machines connected wirelessly to the same Homehub? Do they suffer from the same problem?

Have you tried updating the Wireless Card driver or Wireless Utility (if it’s a 3rd party application)? They can usually be obtained from the manufacturer’s (either that of the laptop of wireless card) website

Have you got any Anti-Virus/Firewall/Anti-Spyware software? Are they up-to-date? Is your machine squeaky clean? :)

Good luck,

Thanks man, I got it sorted, I went though firewalls and stuff and just played around with the settings, found it, added my wireless network, and then put the firewalls back on.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"