Superhero movies & Romance: How Much Is Too Much?

Dr. Fate

Avenger
Reaction score
When it comes to superhero movies and romantic subplots, how much do you the common man, or common woman, the average viewer, the die hard or the casual fan, feel is too much and going over the top? On that, which superhero films have gone too far in the romance department?

It really depends on the superhero in question. Batman movies for instance need to use the romantic angle in strict moderation. Wayne is a lady's man, no doubt about that... but when it gets down to the story itself, the Batman comics have never been based off of the 'villain captures girlfriend, uses her to blackmail our hero' formula. Nor have they been about 'I'm losing my sense of responsibility to my mission because I'm so in love with (Vickie Vale, Selina Kyle)' Has he been tempted with notions of retiring from being a vigilante and pursuing someone he is interested in? Of course. But at the end of the day, Batman knows he must be Batman, and cannot allow genuine romance to fog up his self-given mission. So far this fact has been respected by writers of the comics and movies. Tim Burton notably did a terrific job at conveying it.

Now if we're talking about other heroes... Superman for instance. SR really took the romance to the extent of: I have feelings so strong that I'm going to forget my morals and spy on my ex even though she has already set up a new life and family after I disappeared for five years. Superman is allowed to be in love, he's allowed to have passionate feelings, but when a hero such as that forgets who they are in the face of those passions, then that is taking it too far.

Spider-Man? His character was conceived on the premise of how a younger man can juggle school, girlfriends, and a hero life. So it would be relatively hard to take romance to ridiculous extents when it comes to Spidey.

It really depends on the superhero in question. Batman movies for instance need to use the romantic angle in strict moderation. Wayne is a lady's man, no doubt about that... but when it gets down to the story itself, the Batman comics have never been based off of the 'villain captures girlfriend, uses her to blackmail our hero' formula. Nor have they been about 'I'm losing my sense of responsibility to my mission because I'm so in love with (Vickie Vale, Selina Kyle)' Batman knows he must be Batman, and cannot allow genuine romance to fog up his self-given mission. So far this fact has been respected by writers of the comics and movies. Tim Burton notably did a terrific job at conveying it.

Now if we're talking about other heroes... Superman for instance. SR really took the romance to the extent of: I have feelings so strong that I'm going to forget my morals and spy on my ex even though she has already set up a new life and family after I disappeared for five years. Superman is allowed to be in love, he's allowed to have passionate feelings, but when a hero such as that forgets who they are in the face of those passions, then that is taking it too far.

Spider-Man? His character was conceived on the premise of how a younger man can juggle school, girlfriends, and a hero life. So it would be relatively hard to take romance to ridiculous extents when it comes to Spidey.
Agreed 100% :up:

When it comes to superhero movies and romantic subplots, how much do you the common man, or common woman, the average viewer, the die hard or the casual fan, feel is too much and going over the top? On that, which superhero films have gone too far in the romance department?

More romance = more female viewers.

More romance = more female viewers.
That's not really what I was asking. I was asking for personal opinions on how much "romance" is too much for individual viewers, something Lord of Hypertime did very well (thank yoU Lord).

At any rate, is there any actual proof that more romance = more female viewers? Have they ever done like tests on this to make this fact?

At any rate, is there any actual proof that more romance = more female viewers? Have they ever done like tests on this to make this fact?

I don't really think you would need tests.

I have a dislike for romance in superhero movies, mostly because it's either the "same but different" plot, or it's just distracting from the main story and uninteresting by itself.

Now, BR, on the other hand, managed to incorporate the love story into the villain's structure and made it an essential side to the characters' dimension. (Alas...the story was much the same, but whatever)

I'd like to see the girl discover the hero's dual identity and get creeped out by the level of deception that she has been heretofore unaware of.

In X-Men 3's case. The apparent 'love story' involving Wolverine and Jean took center stage. It was a poor love story in my opinion because the characters had only know each other what? 3 weeks?

An alternate love story should have been the X-Men's love for Jean, not some strangers.

Reminds me of the X-men 2 commentary where the writers realized that prior to the X-jet scene, they hadn't really had any romantic moments to speak of.

I'm glad TDK probably will not have a romantic interest (unless Rachel decides she likes men in black body armor...). The lone hero needs to have some time to be the lone hero without any nagging romantic entanglements.

Reminds me of the X-men 2 commentary where the writers realized that prior to the X-jet scene, they hadn't really had any romantic moments to speak of.

I'm glad TDK probably will not have a romantic interest (unless Rachel decides she likes men in black body armor...). The lone hero needs to have some time to be the lone hero without any nagging romantic entanglements.
You can say that again. In fact, I think "Batman Begins" would have benefitted from not having a love interest.

It was completely superfluous. We could've gotten Harvey Dent as a completely good guy before his downfall. Ah, well...at least it didn;t have Alfred letting her into the Batcave. That still ticks me off.

Hicks is the man, by the way.

I haven't really come across the situation in superhero movies. I guess because it doesn't bother me that much. The only films that I can think of that just did it over the top was in X3, with the whole Jean Grey and Wolverine thing.

It was completely superfluous. We could've gotten Harvey Dent as a completely good guy before his downfall. Ah, well...at least it didn;t have Alfred letting her into the Batcave. That still ticks me off.

Hicks is the man, by the way.
You're damn right Hicks is the man! Thanks to Hunter Rider and Iron Fist for scaling that down for me.

Yeah, I would have rather seen Harvey Dent in BB than some random cute girl who doesn't even appear in the comics.

Romantic subplots have been pretty consistently featured in comic books, and, it does make the movie more compelling for more... emotional viewers.

I think Begins should have toned it down... X3 should have toned it down, but only because they insisted on making Jean and Logan, who had known each other over what? 2 days?, lovers and stuff. That was out.

But when you look at Spider-Man and what he's about... a love story is an intricate part of that. Especially for a "nice guy" like {Peter Parker, he naturally desires a companion more than personal achievement, and it shows, as it should. Same goes for Superman, his schtick for years has been pining after Lois lane, endlessly before flying out to bash some heads in. Now SR twisted that, and made him pining after Lois to look pitiful, and didn't even let him go bash any heads in.

I think it's a case by case thing, and I don't see any overwhelming trends, honestly.

I think having a romantic angle can work or it can work against the plot.

In the case of Spiderman or Superman, MJ or Lois are an integral part of the mythos.

In the case of Batman and specifically Batman Begins, I think the romance came off rather forced. Like someone mentioned, I think Harvey Dent before he was Two-Face would have been good.

I do think that there is probaby more appeal to having an actress as some sort of romantic interest in the films, and it may bring in gender that might not normally go to these films.

Daredevil worked great, IMO having the romantic angle with Elektra. I personally liked it.

I do think that most people and this means guys also, don't want to go to a film and completely see a major Sausage Fest. While the film received strong critical reviews, I think this may have hurt Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Batman and Robin was really over the top in that department. Why was she even in the movie?

I´ll agree that it´s a case-by-case situation. Romance has always been a big part of the Spidey mythos, so I have no problem with that. With Batman, it´s a much trickier element that demands a lot of restraint cuz the character tends to be more of a loner. I´m cool with romance in Superman movies too, it´s probably more up to how it´s handled.

Romance works well if it aids the story. Batman Returns is a good example.

Othetr than that, it's generally not for the better.

It becomes too much romance, when the romance becomes the film. If your sitting down and watching Batman or Ghost Rider and you ready for the action and the romance becomes the intricate plot, then there's a problem.

When Romance Goes Too Far?

Superman Returns
Batman & Robin
Batman Forever (my opinion)
X-Men III
Spider-Man 3 (its either a hit or miss)

Well Deserved Romance

Batman
Batman Returns
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hulk
DareDevil
Ghost Rider

I think having a romantic angle can work or it can work against the plot.

In the case of Spiderman or Superman, MJ or Lois are an integral part of the mythos.

In the case of Batman and specifically Batman Begins, I think the romance came off rather forced. Like someone mentioned, I think Harvey Dent before he was Two-Face would have been good.

I do think that there is probaby more appeal to having an actress as some sort of romantic interest in the films, and it may bring in gender that might not normally go to these films.

Daredevil worked great, IMO having the romantic angle with Elektra. I personally liked it.

I do think that most people and this means guys also, don't want to go to a film and completely see a major Sausage Fest. While the film received strong critical reviews, I think this may have hurt Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.
I don't think a romance could have been successfully installed in Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.

It really depends on the superhero in question. Batman movies for instance need to use the romantic angle in strict moderation. Wayne is a lady's man, no doubt about that... but when it gets down to the story itself, the Batman comics have never been based off of the 'villain captures girlfriend, uses her to blackmail our hero' formula. Nor have they been about 'I'm losing my sense of responsibility to my mission because I'm so in love with (Vickie Vale, Selina Kyle)' Has he been tempted with notions of retiring from being a vigilante and pursuing someone he is interested in? Of course. But at the end of the day, Batman knows he must be Batman, and cannot allow genuine romance to fog up his self-given mission. So far this fact has been respected by writers of the comics and movies. Tim Burton notably did a terrific job at conveying it.

Well said and I agree. However, I feel the romance in the spidey flicks have been unecessarilly amplified with mediocore execution in the process. MJ has been a constant target for the villains in all 3 movies and to me, that's just unacceptable, doing nothing other than showing a lack of creativity and a lack of respect for all those involved who helped carve and carry the source material.

Well said, although

As the only SR defender:woot: , I'll say he took it the farthest as it should ever go. Lois and Superman go hand and hand. So starting already midstream in the romance was ok,imo.

Hulk, most people don't even know who Betty is. So he should have introduced them as falling in love and not already estranged.

Batman can go either way.

Spider-man and MJ go hand and hand, but after three movies it got tiring of seeing her being the singular person always in trouble at the end even if the larger threat was to NY(Spidey2).

Iron Man shouldn't have any true love except the booze.

Iron Man shouldn't have any true love except the booze.

Holy ****, I snort-laughed aloud in a library...

As for the topic, I think the films that best handled the romantic angle are the first two Spiderman's.

I'm partial to them because I'm 19 now, so I was going through late teens and high school as those films were coming out, so I could relate to it more so than say the romance in Superman Returns or Daredevil.

But I also say Spiderman because I think everyone can relate to Peter in terms of how strong his feelings are for MJ, and what he goes through in both films over trying to win her heart.

That whole akwardness of the high school crush...

CFE

It becomes too much romance, when the romance becomes the film. If your sitting down and watching Batman or Ghost Rider and you ready for the action and the romance becomes the intricate plot, then there's a problem.

When Romance Goes Too Far?

Superman Returns
Batman & Robin
Batman Forever (my opinion)
X-Men III
Spider-Man 3 (its either a hit or miss)

Well Deserved Romance

Batman
Batman Returns
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hulk
DareDevil
Ghost Rider

I don't understand this choice, as any "romance" in the film seemed represented by chemically-induced lust. And that would seem to be Poison Ivy's schtick, anyway, so it's merely serving the story. That's not exactly the same thing as in other films. In fact, I'd say B&R did a great job of NOT giving Batman/Bruce a genuine love interest. He's got a random chick he takes to the occasional social function, and he made that clear to her. You have to admit, as Bruce Wayne (in public, anyway), Clooney was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"