SuperHeroHype RPG.......LIVE!

Andy C.

Repent, Harlequin!
Reaction score
So, I had an idea that I'd like to run by you guys, inspired by watching an awful lot of Counter Monkey.

When we revived the DC Universe RPG, the idea was brought up of running it like a traditional D&D style RPG. And while the general consensus was in support of incorporating things like a limited party of protagonists and a more active GM, a lot of folks cringed at the idea of having to keep track of stats, die rolls, structured mechanics....y'know, all the things that add the 'game' part of 'role-playing game.'

This is something that's bugged me for a while, going way back to my own failed attempt at doing a more traditional RPG: a lot of people get intimidated either by the rules which they think will be too complex, or think that having a set structure of rules will limit their creativity as players. And I'd like to do something about that.

The host of Counter Monkey, a long-time RPG player whose whole series is about recounting his craziest or funniest gaming moments, ran a D&D game over Skype with a mix of new and experienced players, to give non-players a look into how the game actually works, basically allowing people to sit in on a game and see if it's their cup of tea. I'd like to do something similar here.

I'm looking at running a campaign of Mutants and Masterminds, a superhero-themed RPG that's sort of a streamlined version of traditional D&D. Playing the game over Skype and using OpenRPG for things like maps and die rollers, we could run a party of 5 or 6 players through an official adventure module to give everyone a taste of that style of RP'ing, then post it online as a podcast.

If you've played table-top games all your life, great. If you've never tried it before but are curious to try it out, also great--in fact, I think it would probably be better to hear the learning process as it happens. Let me know if you're interested. Once a party's assembled, I'd email everyone copies of the Core Rulebook, and maybe record a couple of 1-on-1 sessions where we go through the process of character creation (usually the most complicated part of the RPG, though it can also be the most fun)

Sound like something y'all would like to try?

Count me in, suh. Always wanted to learn how to play. And might as well **** around with people I like while I do it. :up:

I still listen to the games that LordKat DM's on his stream. I'd be down for it.

Also, COUNTER SONG! ****ING COUNTER SONG!!!

I still listen to the games that LordKat DM's on his stream. I'd be down for it.

:up:

I love the LordKat games.

I'm totally up for this. I feel like this is something that has been bouncing around in the background of several people around here, (they better step forward or I'll kill em).

I currently play in a D&D game myself. It's epic. The only thing I could see being an issue is time/date and length. Our D&D sessions go for 3 hours... I don't know how long people would be willing to spend each week on a session.

I'd be up for this.

SHUT THE **** UP, VEGAN STEVE! OMNOMNOMNOM!!

I'm down for it, of course.

I HURL A FLASK OF ACID AT HIS FACE!!!

Well that was quick. That's pretty much a full party right there; we can probably squeeze in a sixth player, but more than that would be too many.

As Twy said, the hard part now is getting schedules to link up. To get in a solid amount of play-time, we'd need at least three hours, preferably four or up to five depending on how much dicking around we do. I realize that's a pretty big commitment in this day and age, which is why I'm recommending just a single module for now, one that can be wrapped up in three or four sessions. It's a lot easier to find that kind of time for just a month or so than trying to carve out a permanent time slot in your week.

I work overnight shifts from Sunday to Thursday, so I'm free to play in the afternoon and early evenings all week, and all day on Friday and Saturday.

I work 9-5 Tuesday-Saturdays...once the Semester is over it becomes 9-5 Monday-Friday.

For the next month my Wednesday nights are pretty well jammed up.

Say a time and I will do what I can to be there.

Wieg, it's not editable, or I'm very tired. You're not on MSN :cmad:

I am currently PDT. Times: Mon-Weds 12pm-whenever. Friday nights, usually after 7pm or 8pm. I could swing a Saturday time. I'd just have to schedule it in. (with the exception of April 28th I have a job that day)

I am on MSN. You're not on! :cmad:

It should be editable now without having to log in.

I'm not listed...so I guess that means I'm not included.

Okay then.

That's up to Andy. I was working on the spreadsheet before I saw you when Andy made that post.

Ahahaha

I can see y'all changing it! It's MAGIC!

Well, it's already looking like Saturday is our best shot.

Added my schedule, which is likely subject to change with upcoming summer job wackiness. Still, it's there for the immediate future.

Have fun everyone. Sounds like it's got some good pontential behind it.

If a slot opens up I would like to be a part of this one.

Last edited:
Added my schedule, and am approving MST to join the party. Right now, it looks like the best time to play would be Saturday in the afternoon; the schedules don't really line up for more than an hour or two at a time any other nights.

Now then.....

Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds (the most current edition, and the one we'll be playing) is meant for original character creation, but the same ruleset is used for the DC Universe tabletop RPG. So, would y'all like to play original folks or start off doing existing JLAers and the like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"