Products Superman 14 disk DVD collection

Triligors

Sidekick
Reaction score
Not sure about earlier disks.... but, just found a DVD that is going to be released soon that I'm nearly positive is going to be on the 14-disk DVD collection.

B000FO0AHY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52172489_.jpg

120 minutes

Description:

Here he is! It's Superman -- in an amazing, thrill-packed story of the legendary hero through the years: from comic books to cartoons to TV to movies, including awesome see-it-first, see-it-now footage of 2006's Superman Returns. Discover the Man of Steel story that's never been told with the action and excitement you expect from the mightiest of all heroes. No matter if you're a super fan or just a movie fan, this is the adventure you've been waiting for.

Rumored other disks:

1- Superman: Theatrical
2- Superman: Extended
3- Superman: Features

1- Superman II
2- Superman II The Donner Cut
3- Superman II Features

4- Superman III
5- Superman III TV cut (evidentally longer)
6- Superman III Features

7- Superman IV
8- Possible: Superman IV 132 min cut
9- Superman IV Features

10- Superman Returns
11- SR features

12, 13, 14- ? I believe that the DVD I posted above will be one of these disks. It make sense. Looks at Superman throughout the ages.

BTW, anyone knows the price?

$100?

Anyone remember what WB priced their Batman new box set as?

I'm expecting it to be at least $100, and probably closer to $200. The 10 disc Matrix set was about (I think) $130, while the recent 14 disc Planet of the Apes set was priced at $180. (Of course, this would be the retail price, which means Amazon would have it much cheaper.)

Also, if they do end up following a similar pattern, I would assume they will package it with some type of Superman bust.

Typically there are two types of box sets released

- With a bust costs more $
- Wihtout a bust costs less $

Well if you can wait.......Costco or something may be able to get these in cheaper 5 years later :)

The Matrix set with bust cost $30 bucks last year and sold out quick....

Triligors said:
Typically there are two types of box sets released

- With a bust costs more $
- Wihtout a bust costs less $

But aren't the cheaper sets usually incomplete (ie. less discs or just the main films)? This was the case with POTA, although I have no idea how the Matrix films were handled.

No. It's the same exact price really, when you get down to it- the same exact disks. The extra money comes from paying for the bust itself. Busts are usually expensive. Thus, if you buy a set that has a bust with it- chances are it will at least be 20, 30, or even 50 dollars more expensive than the edition that just has the disks.

It's not really a cheaper set. The money difference is in paying for the bust itself. I think LOTR films did this as well- for their extended editions.

Sets with busts cost extra because of the bust.
Sets without busts cost what the original set costs without bust and still has everything (except the bust) in it. Busts are made to have a regular edition and a 'collectors edition'- the collectible being the bust itself not any extra disks.

Still, don't you expect them to price this higher than $100? After all, this is going to contain at least five theatrical films and possibly the original serials and the Fleischer cartoons (in a definitive version).

I'd expect it to be nearly twice the amount of the Batman set.

The Ultimate Matrix Collection without Neo bust was only 79.99. With bust, it was 99.99.

This set, if it truly is 14 discs, will probably be retailed at 99.99 but it'll be on sale anyway the opening week so we'll all get it cheaper.

Plus, you'll be able to get the films individually as well....which is always good.

Triligors said:
Not sure about earlier disks.... but, just found a DVD that is going to be released soon that I'm nearly positive is going to be on the 14-disk DVD collection.

B000FO0AHY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52172489_.jpg

120 minutes

Description:

Here he is! It's Superman -- in an amazing, thrill-packed story of the legendary hero through the years: from comic books to cartoons to TV to movies, including awesome see-it-first, see-it-now footage of 2006's Superman Returns. Discover the Man of Steel story that's never been told with the action and excitement you expect from the mightiest of all heroes. No matter if you're a super fan or just a movie fan, this is the adventure you've been waiting for.
I'm definitely saving up for this

J.Howlett said:
The Ultimate Matrix Collection without Neo bust was only 79.99. With bust, it was 99.99.

Thanks for clearing that up. I got the $130 retail price by googling an old review.

Personally, I hope the retail is less than $80. But I won't be surprised if it is more.

It is going to be around 100.

Prediction:

Best Buy first day: 88-90, possibly. Amazon- 85 + shipping & handling.

It will probably not include the old serials and so forth. Batman had a DVD collection similar to this- had serials (I think) as well as the Adam West Batman show- none of which were on that DVD or a version released with it. So, it's highly doubtful.

Does anyone know whether they're going to back and do another restoration of the films for this new Boxset?

Triligors said:
It is going to be around 100.

Prediction:

Best Buy first day: 88-90, possibly. Amazon- 85 + shipping & handling.

It will probably not include the old serials and so forth. Batman had a DVD collection similar to this- had serials (I think) as well as the Adam West Batman show- none of which were on that DVD or a version released with it. So, it's highly doubtful.
it WILL however contain all of the Fleischer cartoons in restored format.

Triligors said:

The early reports suggested they were at least considering both the Alyn serials and Fleischer cartoons as part of the collection. After all, this is much different (and larger) than the Batman anthology, in that the whole idea is to present a comprehensive collection. In that respect, it's closer in concept to the Planet of the Apes or Matrix sets.

It's possible that the Batman serials sold well enough to force a similar approach with Superman, but it would also be surprising (especially given the $20+ price tag they carried). Still, the George Reeves show has been such a hit on dvd, that they are now releasing as much Superman as possible on dvd.

As for the Adam West film, I'm pretty sure it's owned by a different studio, which is at least one reason why it didn't make the Anthology. The tv series is tied up in a legal dispute, which is why it has yet to make a dvd debut.

Any word on the definitive breakdown of what's included?

Depends on the packaging typ also, the Matrix sets had the whole case like thing. I bet that is cheaper to produce than if they put the discs into individual slip cases.

Or they can go with the extramely thin cases...

I believe it's now rumoured to be two sets: A 10 disc covering the Reeve films, and a 14 disc which adds SR, the Fleischer shorts, and Look Up in the Sky.

If that's the case, the 10 disc will obviously be marketed much like the Batman Anthology. The 14 disc will probably be a more exclusive affair- complete with elaborate packaging (ie.the Matrix set).

Triligors said:
Rumored other disks:

1- Superman: Theatrical
2- Superman: Extended
3- Superman: Features

1- Superman II
2- Superman II The Donner Cut
3- Superman II Features

4- Superman III
5- Superman III TV cut (evidentally longer)
6- Superman III Features

7- Superman IV
8- Possible: Superman IV 132 min cut
9- Superman IV Features

10- Superman Returns
11- SR features

12, 13, 14- ? I believe that the DVD I posted above will be one of these disks. It make sense. Looks at Superman throughout the ages.

i hear that the supergirl movie was with it too. also does anyone when the superman and superman 2 are coming out. cause i hear you could buy the movie by them selfves too. i don't really want superman 3 or 4, just 1 , 2 and returns

Here is what's gonna be most leikly on the dsics.

** = unconfirmed

* = confirmed
--------------

Superman The Movie disc 1
Theatrical cut *
Commentary track by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler *
Original sound
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman The Movie disc 2
2001 director's cut *
Commentary track by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman The Movie disc 3
Taking Flight: The Development of Superman *
Making Superman: Filming the Legend *
The Magic Behind the Cape *
More Special Features TBA

Superman II disc 4
Theatrical cut *
Commentary track by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler *
Commentary track by the three villains ***
Original sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman II disc 5
The Donner cut
Commentary track by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz **
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1 **

Superman II disc 6
Special Features TBA

Superman III disc 7
Theatrical cut
Commentary track by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman III disc 8
Special Features TBA

Superman IV disc 9
Theatrical cut *
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman IV disc 10
Deleted scenes *
Special Features TBA

Superman Returns disc 11
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman Returns disc 12
Special Features TBA

Max Fleischer cartoons disc 13
All 17 remastered Max Fleischer cartoons. *

Superman documentary; Look, Up in the Sky! disc 14
Bryan Singer commissioned documentary on the history of the character.

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/dvd2006/specs.shtml

Do you think we'll ever get an extended edition of SR or at least a compilation of deleted scences? I know Bryan Singer said no, but one is still curious. Knowing the studios we'll probably get a Definitive Extended Edition just before SR2 is released!

Yeah. There is a VERY strong chance of that happening. Movies have done that in the past before their sequel.... X-Men 1.5 (I think) and Spider-Man (forgot what they called it, but came out prior to SM2)- heck even Fast and the Furious did double dipping before the sequel arrived in theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"