Superman & Lois: Essential Viewing/Reading Material

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
So, with Superman & Lois set to premiere in February, I'd like to start a list of the TV series, films, comics, and graphic novels you guys would recommend taking in before the show begins. Here's a few of mine:

Live-Action Series

Supergirl
S2E1 "The Adventures of Supergirl" (first appearance of Clark/Superman)
S2E2 "The Last Children of Krypton"
S2E22 "Nevertheless, She Persisted"
S4E9 "Elseworlds, Part 3"
S5E9 "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 1"

Arrow
S7E9 "Elseworlds, Part 2" (Tulloch does not appear in this episode, but Hoechlin does [briefly] as the black-suited John Deegan)
S8E8 "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 4" (archive footage from the Elseworlds crossover)

The Flash
S5E9 "Elseworlds, Part 1" (first appearance of Lois)
S6E9 "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 3"

DC's Legends of Tomorrow
S5E0 "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 5"

Batwoman
S1E9 "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 2"

Comics/Graphic Novels

Superman: Lois & Clark (2015-2016)

Super Sons (2016-2019)
Adventures of the Super Sons Vol. 1 (2018) & Vol. 2 (2019)
Challenge of the Super Sons (2020-present)

Peter Tomasi’s run in Rebirth.
It won't be out before the show starts, but it's worth noting that Tomasi Rebirth run (which I think, of all the runs of the comics, this show will draw the most from) is getting an Omnibus release in a few months, too. :up: I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get to know "Dad Supes" in the comics. It's easily one of his best eras, imo.

Another one I'll throw into the pot is Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity. It's an Elseworld, but very much explores the idea of a family man Supes.

Outside the Arrowverse, I recommend viewing Road to Perdition (2002). Tyler Hoechlin was excellent here as the eldest son, holding his own opposite the likes of Tom Hanks, Jude Law, and the late, great Paul Newman.

Watch the last ten minutes or so and ask yourself if those scenes aren't a sign of what was to come for the then-14-year-old.

It won't be out before the show starts, but it's worth noting that Tomasi Rebirth run (which I think, of all the runs of the comics, this show will draw the most from) is getting an Omnibus release in a few months, too. :up: I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get to know "Dad Supes" in the comics. It's easily one of his best eras, imo.

Another one I'll throw into the pot is Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity. It's an Elseworld, but very much explores the idea of a family man Supes.

Yeah, Tomasi's Rebirth run is great and relatively self contained so it's a perfect choice for anyone looking to get into this era of Superman's life.

I think given the tone of the show I’d recommend people read Superman For All Seasons.
Superman For All Seasons and Birthright were the first Superman comics I read. Love those books.

A couple of short, romantic stories that illustrate why Lois and Clark make a great couple, imo:

“From Krypton with Love” by Mark Millar, which can be found in the Superman by Mark Millar collected edition or where it was originally published in the Superman 80-Page Giant #2 (the latter I know is available on DCU Infinite if anyone else is subscribed to that, as I just re-read it there)

“Glasses” by Jeff Loveness, from Mysteries of Love in Space #1 (2019)

Both are told from Lois’ POV.

fSrO8am.jpg

I never got around to finishing Tomasi's run, but looking back at the first couple of issues, it's interesting to see how much his Jon has in common with S&L's Jordan. They're both young and impetuous characters with "emotional trigger" powers, i.e., abilities which manifest as a kind of fight-or-flight response. (Although I imagine the comics-based Jon has grown to master his powers by now.) The imagery and family dynamics are similar in some respects as well.

1163b340eede80025b3340321ef248b2d9d97502_hq.jpg

e81c52c7dbd0e679ad25d350b66cce7d.jpg

ic23fyb1htr41.png

There was a scene in last week's episode almost exactly like that second panel with Jon and Clark.
And isn't it just perfect how that last panel has a Clark and Lois who look very similar to their current TV counterparts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"