Smallville Tom Welling to reprise Superman role in Arrowverse Crisis on Infinite Earths?

I dont know, the more I think about it, the more I think I agree with this

Crisis Gives Tom Welling's Clark Kent the Farewell He Deserves

That would be true if somehow, somewhere, somewhen, we, as the audience, knew, Clark Kent/Superman would have defeated every villain in the gallery.

Clearly, that was not the case. Lex Luthor is the President. The one who will have the blood of millions (according to Hourglass s01e06).

Clark gave up his powers in a time when Lex is president, his arch-enemy, in a position of power. That's not the perfect send off, far from it.

They tried to do a sort "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?" thing but in that case, all the villains were defeated. Superman was no longer needed.

Not the case with Smallville.

This is just bad writing.

We all know this is a arrowverse storyline but at least, they could respect the smallville legacy as they eloquently put it.

They trash it just for the sake of nostalgia and trying to rise tv audiences when their shows clearly fail to do so.

Well if Clark doesn't have his powers anymore, maybe Lex is a half way decent President haha.

The more I think about Clark's scene, the more I like it. It was a very fitting end for this version of Clark. All he ever wanted was a normal life. I also really dug the fact he acted a whole lot Jonathan Kent, from his facial expression to the way he talked to the Arrowverse. His "Can I help you?" Was straight up Jonathan haha.

I hope we get a bit more of Tom's Clark. No way would he let his universe get destroyed. Also one of the promo's it sounds like you can hear Tom say "Did someone call for back up?"

Also Greg Berlanti said there is a scene with three Supermen... I'll hold out a glimmer of hope we get just a bit more of Smallville Clark.

Also keep in mind that with the multiverse theory, it doesnt necessarily mean that the Earth we saw with Tom as Clark in Crisis is necessarily the same Earth we watched on Smallville for 10 years. I dont believe Smallville ever made a reference to it occuring on Earth-167. Theoretically speaking there should be infinite Welling/Supes Earths as well.

And as of the Flash on Tuesday, every single reality is destroyed and only 7 people are still alive. We assume that most of what happens in Crisis is going to be undone including the destruction of the Smallville universe(s) so I guess he could potentially come back, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

That would be true if somehow, somewhere, somewhen, we, as the audience, knew, Clark Kent/Superman would have defeated every villain in the gallery.

Clearly, that was not the case. Lex Luthor is the President. The one who will have the blood of millions (according to Hourglass s01e06).

Clark gave up his powers in a time when Lex is president, his arch-enemy, in a position of power. That's not the perfect send off, far from it.

They tried to do a sort "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?" thing but in that case, all the villains were defeated. Superman was no longer needed.

Not the case with Smallville.

This is just bad writing.

We all know this is a arrowverse storyline but at least, they could respect the smallville legacy as they eloquently put it.

They trash it just for the sake of nostalgia and trying to rise tv audiences when their shows clearly fail to do so.

The season 11 comic shows him defeating a bunch of villains. I think he also had his own version of Crisis within the Smallville universe. Given that Guggenheim considers season 11 as canon then this version of Clark Kent deserves retirement.

I actually thought the scene was a rather fantastic send off for the Smallville Clark. As of the season 11 arc, he took care of a bunch of his villains and he left a world full of heroes he inspired to watch over and protect the world, including a younger set of heroes mentored by Jay Garick.

Smallville Clark has always wanted a normal life and a family. Leaving the world a bunch of heroes to protect it, and then giving up his own powers so he can raise a family and follow in the footsteps of Jonathan is the exact kind of think Clark would have done.

The scene was phenomenal and it was nice to see Tom and Erica again. The choices that led to that scene are precisely the choices that Clark would have made, and it ties a nice bow to the Smallville universe.

Also, look at Clark's watch in that scene and you'll notice the face background is blue. Chances are he is using Blue Kryptonite to remove his powers. That means that if anything happens bad enough that he is needed, he can jump in and help.

So the thoughts of this Smallville fan are this: The scene was great and was a wonderful and respectful tribute and farewell to the show that inspired the Arrowverse.

The season 11 comic shows him defeating a bunch of villains. I think he also had his own version of Crisis within the Smallville universe. Given that Guggenheim considers season 11 as canon then this version of Clark Kent deserves retirement.

Defeats a bunch of villains but not all of them.

This is the final conversation between SV Clark and Lex. It is crystal clear how determined Clark is to stop Lex.

and this is the 150th episode of Smallville, when Clark is shown by AI Jor-El what would have happened if Clark wasn't around.

Clark knows what Lex is capable of. It's completely out of character to give up his powers knowing who Lex is and how Lex is in position of power.

I'm not questoning his decision giving up his powers, i'm questioning the timing to do so.

The writers are more than capable to reverse the situation but that will only happen if there are more scenes in the future, which I doubt.

Also keep in mind that with the multiverse theory, it doesnt necessarily mean that the Earth we saw with Tom as Clark in Crisis is necessarily the same Earth we watched on Smallville for 10 years. I dont believe Smallville ever made a reference to it occuring on Earth-167. Theoretically speaking there should be infinite Welling/Supes Earths as well.

it was adversited as Smaville's return, the one as we know it for all intends and purposes. See what's the thing. We all cheerish so much "our" show that if something goes way south, we tried to somehow, to come up with some kind of excuse.

I'm betting, had the scenes being written carefully, respecting what Smallville was really about, we would all be cheering the Smaville's cameo by now.

Clark knows what Lex is capable of. It's completely out of character to give up his powers knowing who Lex is and how Lex is in position of power.

I'm not questoning his decision giving up his powers, i'm questioning the timing to do so.

Apocalypse is a bad example. It's Lex had Clark and Superman NEVER existed and KARA was raised by the Luthors and with Brainiac pulling the strings. Lex being President and Clark not having powers aren't why the siruation is so bad.

When Lex was president in the comics, Clark felt stymied despite all his power precisely because Lex was democratically elected. If Clark intervenes, he's undermining that and setting a dangerous precedent to apply to any other world leaders he doesn't trust. SV Clark has a team of heroes, an influential senator mother, a general father in law, and the power of the press. The situation is handled.

I don't think it's a bad example. It just proves how far Lex goes if somehow he's unchecked. Lex was always meant to become the evil guy. Clark's presence just postponed Lex's descent to evil.

As for the comics, yes, Lex was president, elected democratically but did Clark/Superman gave up his powers back then? NO... it's just that simple.

When president lex went south, wasn't Superman there to stop him? This is what i'm talking about. The same thing was enphasized on the last scene between Clark and Lex as I posted earlier. The rivalry between those two was heavily enphasized: not just hero-villian, it was personal.

I didn't see a blue kryptonite ring or bracelet to say, it's temporary.

By all means, the way he just goes with Lois, not even slightly worried about the multiverse ending or the way he simply tossed away the green kryptonite, leaving it unchecked somewhere on the farm, i could speculate Clark giving up his powers, was something permanent rather than temporary.

Of course there's the possibility he transfered his powers to someone else. It's all speculation but either way, it contradicts years and years of character development.

I like Smallville, i cheerish the tv show but this cameo deserved a lot more respect.

As for the comics, yes, Lex was president, elected democratically but did Clark/Superman gave up his powers back then? NO... it's just that simple.

Superman's powers are irrelevant when it comes to stopping a democratically elected President. Even if Lex Luthor used his executive power to start a nuclear war with North Korea, there's nothing Superman could do to stop him because that would fundamentally alter Superman's role in the world from impartial hero to international judge and jury.

When president lex went south, wasn't Superman there to stop him? This is what i'm talking about. The same thing was enphasized on the last scene between Clark and Lex as I posted earlier. The rivalry between those two was heavily enphasized: not just hero-villian, it was personal.

I haven't reread the comics in a while, but I'm pretty sure President Luthor left office because he was impeached and not because Superman stopped him.

I didn't see a blue kryptonite ring or bracelet to say, it's temporary.

You also didn't hear any mention of gold kryptonite or the word permanent. It's left ambiguous, so to suggest Clark's powerless state is permanent doesn't really work.

By all means, the way he just goes with Lois, not even slightly worried about the multiverse ending or the way he simply tossed away the green kryptonite, leaving it unchecked somewhere on the farm, i could speculate Clark giving up his powers, was something permanent rather than temporary.

There's kryptonite all over Smallville. There's probably some littered throughout the cornfield given how ubiquitous it is there. Clark walked away with Lois because he dealt with Lex, which was the central threat the trio of Lois, Clark, and Iris warned him about. They also mentioned seven people before they left, but didn't explain further. Clark wasn't needed. He wasn't the paragon. No other superheroes besides paragons were being recruited.

As a massive Smallville fan, this ending really worked for me. After kicking butt as Superman during the canon events of the S11 comic, this version of Clark gets what he has always wanted, a normal boring life with the woman he loves, on the farm he calls home.

With that said, we all know how de-powering works, it's only a matter of time till Clark takes the blue kryptonite watch off and goes into Superman mode. Untill then he gets to kick back and live the life he earned.

Last edited:
I watched that Berlanti interview again and he clearly says "three Supermen on screen at the same time." Hard to believe he'd misspeak and say something like that if he just meant "in the same episode." Maybe a surprise for the Crisis finale?

So is the Blue K watch thing for real or just a theory?
Would love to see welling again the finale.

Superman's powers are irrelevant when it comes to stopping a democratically elected President. Even if Lex Luthor used his executive power to start a nuclear war with North Korea, there's nothing Superman could do to stop him because that would fundamentally alter Superman's role in the world from impartial hero to international judge and jury.

If something that big would happen , i doubt Superman would remain quiet and still. He wouldn't let 3rd world war start. Impartial hero vs international jury that's a discussion far too long for this Smallville's cameo.

I haven't reread the comics in a while, but I'm pretty sure President Luthor left office because he was impeached and not because Superman stopped him.

Actually Superman stopped him because Lex considered him as enemy of the state.

You also didn't hear any mention of gold kryptonite or the word permanent. It's left ambiguous, so to suggest Clark's powerless state is permanent doesn't really work.

Like you said, it's ambiguous, both possibilities are real.

There's kryptonite all over Smallville. There's probably some littered throughout the cornfield given how ubiquitous it is there. Clark walked away with Lois because he dealt with Lex, which was the central threat the trio of Lois, Clark, and Iris warned him about. They also mentioned seven people before they left, but didn't explain further. Clark wasn't needed. He wasn't the paragon. No other superheroes besides paragons were being recruited.

The Superman everyone knows wouldn't just walk away without at least checking out if everyone was ok, a least a call to the Justice league. What you are saying is from the audience point of view. What I say is from a character's point of view.

Let me ask you this: Someone strange walks on your door, says and tries to kill you after three people said to you the world is happen to end, wouldn't be just a little worried?

Now apply this to Superman, retired or not.

I watched that Berlanti interview again and he clearly says "three Supermen on screen at the same time." Hard to believe he'd misspeak and say something like that if he just meant "in the same episode." Maybe a surprise for the Crisis finale?

At this point, I'm taking it as wait and see...and the lowest of expectations

I will admit that it's kind of hard to picture SV's Clark not being involved in any type of crisis involving the multi-verse, especially when you know what kind of hero he is from having watched his journey for 10 years.

Well, the point is still made. He did say if they asked him to wear the suit, he wouldn't have came back. He said he would have hung up the phone. Which I'm really curious at this point what his hang up on the suit is? He said at one con he didn't believe in the "Superman curse" but I will say he seemed a little aggravated when a fan asked him if he did.

Maybe he was afraid it would look dorky on him, especially being a TV budget suit, especially if he saw the previous TV Superman suit (Dean Cain's) lol.

Did he ever gave a clear answer to why he refused to wear the suit? I heard different versions of him not wanting to be typcast, to not liking that they wanted him to wear the returns suit in the smallville finale and so on.

The typcast thing seems the most believeable but then i cant remember seeing him in many roles after smallville in general.

As far as I know, no he hasn't. I've listened to quite a few of the recent cons and no one has really asked him specifically why he doesn't want to wear it. If someone has heard differently I'd love to hear it. Or someone go to a con and ask him. I bet he gets irritated when someone asks that though.

^ I watched a bunch of Con videos with him and Rosenbaum when COIE was in swing (they're hilarious together). Honestly, it just confirmed to me what we've all known for years-- he just doesn't like it. He's not a superhero suit guy.

He's a handful of beers away from pulling a Jon Peters and calling it 'too f***y', IMO.

Was rewatching (on Youtube) some of Tom's appearance in COIE and it really hit home in some scenes how much he's built like the Alex Ross version of Superman. Would dearly love to see him in the suit but never gonna happen unfortunately.

upload_2021-1-14_9-58-16.png

3ebeeac446b48227b639c358a2d006f3.jpg

284-2841715_superman-pre-crisis-dc-comics-alex-ross-superman.png

upload_2021-1-14_10-1-3.png

It really is a shame that he refuses to suit up.

It really is a shame that he refuses to suit up.

I think it’s cause he thinks he won’t look good ya know and the thing is he couldn’t be more wrong but he suffers with anxiety & shyness so I kind of get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"