Sequels Superman: Man of Steel Consultants

echostation

Superhero
Reaction score
build fan base support from ground up but also would allow for the best possible chances of delivering the kind of kick ass story that Superman deserves would be making at least 2 or 3 phone calls to:

Bruce Timm
Paul Dini
Stan Berkowitz

Especially the first two... Now i'm NOT SAYING THESE GUYS SHOULD WRITE THE SCRIPT... What I am arguing though is to allow these guys to at least cook up a treatment... 20 pgs or just an outline story concept.. 10-15 pages TOPs... then let Singer and his lame ass writers deal with it from there.. At least SOME OF the story would then be rooted in pure superman kick assery and from the comics or the animated series. I honestly feel this would be one of the best moves Singer could make rather than "bounce around his own [most likely lame ass] BIG ACTION IDEAS with his writers." Allowing Timm and Dini to step on board to at least craft a story or treatment plot would instill a level of kick ass confidence in the film and would tremendously help I think in the long run for this troubled franchise.

Dunno, those guys deleted the Maroni throwing acid over Dent's face.

No thanks. While I like Dini and Timm and love the animated shows they produced, I don't trust them with a feature film. Besides, they powered down Superman so much in the animated series, the show was hard to enjoy most of the time.

No thanks. While I like Dini and Timm and love the animated shows they produced, I don't trust them with a feature film. Besides, they powered down Superman so much in the animated series, the show was hard to enjoy most of the time.
Are you saying the only way to enjoy Superman in animation is if he's so powerful that he can juggle planets as if they were golf balls?

build fan base support from ground up but also would allow for the best possible chances of delivering the kind of kick ass story that Superman deserves would be making at least 2 or 3 phone calls to:

Bruce Timm
Paul Dini
Stan Berkowitz

I disagree. I thought their Superman cartoon was pretty good but it wasn't great. I though the action in the cartoon was usually pretty basic and not very creative. I'll take the plane rescue in Superman Returns over the plane rescue in "The Last Son of Krypton."

On the other hand if they ever got a chance at a live action Batman movie that would be pretty neat (although I'm just fine with Nolan :batman: ).

As I have said time and time again, Dini and Timm are not the saviors to the Superman film franchise. They did a fantastic job with their incarnations of Superman. They should be applauded, but I don't know where people are getting that they should be the ones to shoulder the load on a Superman film.

Are you saying the only way to enjoy Superman in animation is if he's so powerful that he can juggle planets as if they were golf balls?

Nope, but when Superman is having a hard time against a barrage of bullets, despite being bulletproof, then I just gotta roll my eyes. Other than that I did enjoy the animated series for the most part, but it was definitely more flawed than say, Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited.

As I have said time and time again, Dini and Timm are not the saviors to the Superman film franchise. They did a fantastic job with their incarnations of Superman. They should be applauded, but I don't know where people are getting that they should be the ones to shoulder the load on a Superman film.
Because fans fear differences.

I would give them a shot, come on they can't do worse then Singer ( I dont think anyway)

Have they written any movie scripts?

Nope, but when Superman is having a hard time against a barrage of bullets, despite being bulletproof, then I just gotta roll my eyes.
When did this happen?

it was definitely more flawed than say, Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited.
I find that weird, considering he was even MORE de-powered during JL. :huh:

Back in topic :D

I love what they have done with Batman , not so much with Superman .

It was good make no mistake, but nothing special imo.

considering that i like the interpretation of Singer and his writers , i'll stick with them ( even if their script was far from perfect onscreen)

Again... I never said to bring them aboard to write a full blown script... to those who for some odd reason misinterpreted the topic as if I was suggesting for them to write the script... please read it again and CAREFULLY... there's a reason why I said, JUST A TREATMENT... AN OUTLINE

Or at least GET THEM on board to help with this entire Bouncing around of ideas because sure as **** they will at least bring more and better parts of the comic lore into the story than Singer ever could. Even if it's just idea bouncing... I think asking them for how they might tackle a story would be a great avenue to explore.. much like R&D for a story.

Again...that wouldn't happen. They wouldnt bring in a new team to write a treatment when Singer has already outlined the first two movies in his opening pitch to WB. He went in there with at least the first two outlined, or at least offered possibilites. It was already said in several interviews and is standard operating procedure for a large franshise, there always has to be sequel potential.

When did this happen?

I find that weird, considering he was even MORE de-powered during JL. :huh:

I'd have to check (good thing I have the DVD collections ;) ), but I definitely think it was an earlier episode. I'll get back to you on that here eventually. I know I've seen it.

I wouldn't say Supes was more depowered in JL. Well, maybe that first season where they were trying to get Supes out of the action early on in the battles, but not so much after that. In fact, it was the later shows that showcased Superman's power with his battles with Captain Marvel, Darkseid and Mongul among others.

There are many critical things Singer and/or WB must do if they greenlight a sequel:

FX - get a different company. WETA or ILM. SR's flying scenes were not at all impressive or well done and expecially so given today's technology and the money Singer spent. The FF FX so far looks so much more impressive.

Writing - make it sharp and original. No more lifting lines from others sources. I am not even sure that D&H are all that good as writers or maybe they can't write to Superman. A co-writer needs to be brought in to guide them.

Overall pallette of film - brighten it up. Enough with the muddy look. More daylight scenes and fewer nightime scenes.

Lighting - the use of lighting to emphasize main characters or components in scenes was awful. Half the time you could hardly make Superman out.

Action - lots more.

Costume - brighten the red some, raise the trunks/lower the collar. Design more streamlined looking boots.

Editing - a major tightening of the editing is absolutely needed.

CGI - use it only when it is absolutely needed. It was way over-used in SR.

Marketing - start much earlier release a teaser sooner than 6 months out and a trailer sooner than 2 months out. Release a cool toy the XMAS before release. Marvel's releasing the Itsy Bitsy Spider doll this past XMAS was brilliant. The top selling toy and little kids are already pestering their moms to see the film. Use common sense - no super-bowl teaser? But a ton of TV ads in late may/June when the TV audience, after may sweeps, drops by 70%. One super-bowl ad would have reached more folks than all those last minute TV ads. Use billboards and bus signs. In the Bay Area SR had just a minimum buy with no posters in any of the 3 major downtown SF BART stations through which hundreds of thousands pass each day. BTW, GR has 2 or 3 poster in some stations. WB basically wasted most of the 100 million marketing budget.

Quality control - those pictures of Routh standing on a box to mimmick flying were atrocious. The PR photos were all poor pretty much. Get a talented photographer and have an independent person from the photographer vet the photos. Notice how we never get a bad Spiderman PR photo?

Buzz - WB has to turn it around or a Singer sequel is dead before its even started. Put out teaser info early. Tell the folks that some changes will be made to the suit which we couldn't do last time cause production was well under way. They don't even have to specify the changes - let the fanboys buzz about it. That kind of teaser will only help that buzz be positive or more positive.

Cast - some should go or be replaced. Bosworth, Lagell replace, Lex's campy sidekicks let go and bring in serious people working for Lex.

WB - don't be afraid to "just say no" to Singer. Frankly no as in giving him a red light and let him out to do other work. But on the off chance thye give him a go-ahead they need to have a day-to-day minder on the set and be willing to override some of Singer's decisions.

Its not like WB has a choice. They need to make many changes but so far aside from action and a second villain there is no hint we will see anything significant. And that will kill any sequel at the BO.

Cast - some should go or be replaced. Bosworth, Lagell replace, Lex's campy sidekicks let go and bring in serious people working for Lex.
I agree with everything you said, except this. A recast is NOT the way to go. Pretty much the only miscast people are Bosworth, and maybe Langella. What needs to be improved is the writing.

I agree with everything you said, except this. A recast is NOT the way to go. Pretty much the only miscast people are Bosworth, and maybe Langella. What needs to be improved is the writing.

I think both could be recast - Bosworth and Lagella - certainly it would not be a problem with Lagella.

Lexd's sidekicks don't need recasting - they need dropping. Bring in serious associates - BB and Spiderman don't go this camy route. It no longer appeals to a lot of the audience in this type of film.

Heh Heh...even if a new director took over, there would be no recasting of Bosworth or Routh. Jimmy would stay and so would Lex. Langella maybe, but I thought he did good.

I dig the idea of Timm taking a stab at it, at least for a little more action...but I'd rather check out the new animated project first.

Something seperate from STAS

One of my items was WB would need to start marketing earlier - like way earlier. The news page has an item about Spiderman tie-in to fruit loops will or is already being featured in ads.

WB is not capable of this style of marketing I am afraid.

the Spiderman movie is only like 5 months away right? Superman already had cereal tie ins out at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"