Superman Video Game

Fresh Prince

Superhero
Reaction score
Now everyone has been talking about how they want a Superman video game like the Batman games....Well this is the thread to say what you want in a Superman game and how it can be very successful...I wouldl ike a Superman game based off the comics and STAS...Storyline can be something involving Lex Luthor as President of the U.S...Invovling Darkseid and Braniac.

Ok, I'll start. And I'll start by saying no full city free roam/ sandbox game play, which I know is what everyone is going to say... "It needs this this and this bla bla bla, free roam in a full city is teh best". Bull ****. GTA games are only well received and fun for an extended period of play due to the fact the title character is a morally ambiguous one, allowing the player to do whatever you want. Likewise with Hulk Ultimate Destruction (superb game btw) you could choose to be good and leave buildings alone and perform heroic tasks only. OR, you could straight ruin **** and wreck buildings and chuck around cards and fight the army... which is fun.
Comparitively, the Spider-man games, Spider-Man 2 more specifically were fun, but the free roam aspect was fun for about five minutes to web sling a bit... unless I were drunk or high, in which case webslinging (or flying in Superman Returns case) was fun for hours.

Now, onto superman. The flying mechanic is important. Superman Returns got it right, but there just wasn't **** to do around the city. That being said, I think an approach like that of Batman AA needs to be taken. A metroid style free roam, in self contained areas, with the ability to transverse multiple arenas would suit Superman, and most other morally defined heroes, far better.

I like free roam better....You can have stuf to di in cities...Like super villians can invade earth or break out of jail....Superman can also fight regular criminals who cause problems on the streets who have high tech weapons that can give Supes a problem a little bit.

I opened this thread thinking a new superman game was being developed :(

I agree with Banshee. Free Roam is boring. You can only stop a car jacking or beat up some thieves so many times before it gets boring as s**t.

I think that a Superman game needs to take a look at Batman: Arkham Asylum that makes you feel like you're roaming around and exploring but is still rather limited.

Also like Arkham Asylum I want most of Superman's rogues gallery to appear. But not Darkseid.

**** all this Arkham Asylum love. It was a 8 hour game with no replay value.

That type of linear game can work with Batman. But with Superman, there's too much he can do to not have it free roam. I don't want to only be able to fly around a few blocks of Metropolis or, even worse, within a building.

Last edited:
Agreed Spidey-Bat....How can a Superman game not be free roam?...It has to be and free roam games can be just as good as sandbox games.

Oh finally the thread starts going in a more logical direction.

You kids who keep dismissing free roam, I think your imagination is pretty limited. Free roam doesn't neccessarily mean limited type of gameplay, that is really more on the developers. Free roam simply means "Freedom." You people really need to get off that as well as thinking of it as a GTA fad, you make yourself sound like an old fogey stuck in a time period. Again, free roam is the future. Any indoor/limited area gameplay you can think of should be incorporated within it. It's the blueprint for full-on virtual reality as we move forward.

Superman flies. Free roam is going to be required in any game that features him. There was nothing wrong with that aspect in Superman Returns. It was the execution of everything else and the design of the city was ridiculous.

That said I have nothing useful to suggest for the game design. :hehe:

On paper, the idea of free roam works, but you can only do so much. No matter what it is, it's gonna be repetitive as hell. Fly over here, fight some robots. Go over here, stop the Prankster from pieing wall street. Bank robery, star labs robery, hold up, rinse, repeat. Ultimately, you'll have like maybe five to six things to do and you'll just keep doing it, over and over and over again. How do I know this? I know this because there's no way the amount of free roam you're talking about is gonna fit in one game. Not even with DLC. What you're talking about may be the future, but it's not bloody likely to happen in this generation.

Oblivion and Fallout have tons of **** to do in them. The only limit is the developers.

Nonetheless, an Arkham Asylum format simply does not work for Superman.

With Superman I'd like it to be free roam he's a big character with flying as a big component of that.If I were developing the game I'd want not to be just about Superman in Metropolis and stoping crimes, saving lives cause that would get boring. There is only so much you can do as Superman without it getting old.

I'd add the feature of being Clark Kent in the game. You'd get assignments from Perry, some that would force Kent to work with Louis and Jimmy, he'd cover events in Metropolis like Luthorcorp press conferences, maybe go undercover and take Louis out on dates,. In all these things Clark can do, things would have the possibility of wrong forcing him to become Superman by finding the closes phone booth,deserted ally or taxi to change suits.

I would want ongoing plots of different rogues each of them with their own agenda with Luthor being at the center of many crimes within the city but not necessarily in league with them.Superman knowing of Luthor other face, but still unable to touch him cause of Luthor being a big wig in the city politically,financially, and in celebrity.Each time Superman puts a stop to Luthor schemes the more desperate he'd become so the bigger the display becomes.You can throw in the every so often the occasional team up with other heroes but usually after some kind of misunderstanding which leads to some kind of fight or standoff.However this kind of co-op play with other heroes would take place outside of the city.

As far as gameplay I'd include all of Superman powers a melee system which includes some kind of dodging,blocking,throwing,countering and of course whop to the moon.The physics engine I'd probably use is the one in Star Wars FU cause I like the way things broke and give some kind of consequence system for damaging public property. First the media would be able to turn on him, the people and then the government maybe a Superman Task force.I'd even want to throw in a age restriction type code so that I can and others of the right age be able to look through a woman's undergarments cause of all the powers Superman had its the one I wanted most as a teen.I'd throw in every Superman suit there is so that I can customize his look to my fancy.

Honestly, I want a superman game that takes 3-4 years to develop, and lets McFace it, that's not going to happen.

If such a game were to exist, it would need to have either free-roam or very large levels to accommodate Superman's extreme mobility. For those who think of Free Roam as a map with little repetitive missions on it, think of it as a group of large spatially non-linear levels all adjacent to one another.

That said, having just a Metropolis area gets old quick, and even that free roam doesn't really accommodate Superman's mobility, y'know? You gotta give the player the option to go to space, or Smallville or the Fortress of Solitdue, even if its not continuous.

Perhaps the greatest challenge of Superman is making him feel epically heroic while constantly challenging him. I don't think the mobs-in-the-streets format really works for Superman, because there shouldn't be armies of guys that can challenge him on a regular basis. I think the Shadow of the Colossus method may work better: giving Superman about 20 truly epic boss battles, maybe a couple that are 'mobs in the streets' events, but honestly... thugs? Superman? Yeeeeeah.

And then the thing that would make the game actually worth talking about, the little touches. We need some Clark Kent in there, not full on missions really, but little extra objectives here and there, mostly for story purposes, but they're useful for setting scale. And of course, the set pieces and environmental interaction to make the game the exhilarating fun spectacle it needs to be.

So, yeah. We'll see. SR took several steps in the right direction, the rest of the steps need investment from the publishers.

The game does not have to take place in Metropolis but all throughtout the world....go to Gotham City, Central City, orher heroes cities and environment...Also go into space to the GLC...You can do activities all throughout the world.

Aight found this thread now to set it off.

gt6forumuserDivider.gif

Cancelled PS3 Superman Game Footage
by SuperNinja
Doomsday vs Superman and even if its just concept

Last edited:
Wow thats some cool footage. Some really great concepts there.

Warner Bros just purchased a majority stake in Rocksteady, the team behind Batman: Arkham Asylum. They have stated they want to increase the amt of games for the licenses they hold. Maybe WB will put them on a Superman game in the future? If they can make a good Batman game, they can make a good Superman game.

^Makes 3 of us lol.

Since I'm in here tho, here's how I'd want to see a Superman game -

I know most of you don't like free roam, but IMO it's the way to go. Why have Superman's destructive abilities, and the ability to fly if you can only use it to hover in a small room, and destroy small walls. A Superman game needs scope, and not just narrative wise.

I'd also like to see a health bar done away with, except on boss fights where they can logically hurt Superman, or with enemies carrying kryptonite. I'm not buying thugs with guns taking Superman down in games anymore when Supes takes a bullet to the eye in the movie without flinching. Instead put the emphasis on something else, like a lady being held hostage and you have to rescue her before she dies. Or while you're flying around you hear a call for help, if you ignore it or don't get there in time there will be negative consequences (more like ppl turning on Supes instead of gameover).

Also they need to up the rogues list. Superman may not have Spiderman's rogue gallery, but he does have a decent enough list that they don't need to keep using human's in high tech armor and Luthor. I wouldn't mind seeing Parasite, Brainiac, Mongul, or Darkseid.

Above all of that...the control, and physics. Until they get over that and do it properly, ppl will never get the bad taste of Superman for N64 out of their mouths.

The cancelled Superman game from the Lair developer Factor 5 right? Maybe that's a good thing. Now WB can follow in Arkham Asylum's footsteps and hire DC writers and the right game developer. Tim Daly voicing Superman/Kent would be awesome.

Hell WB just bought Rocksteady they could pull a Chris Nolan and have Rocksteady oversee the development of a new Superman game.

The Superman Returns game had the right idea. It just needed to have more life to it. The world felt dead. Give the game to better developers and give them plenty of time.

I really wish other wouldn't mention nolan when all he does is mention how he ether dislikes the other superheroes or choose to ignore what made them "them." http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=14827
i think it was his brother and writing partner and the actor they got that made the film. but i don't care about argueing about that. it'll endless nonsense any way.

But to the latter part of that last post yes Rock steady I'm ok with they know what their doing unlike some one that repeatedly says his his weird distaste for all things heroes.(but the one he choose to like) Anyways I'm leaving it at that. Rock steadys a ok in my view with the go a head. the did the oposite of what was done inthe recent movies as victor lucas said and they too was was know and made work . which certain film guys are still baffled with cause the want to do their own from the jump. if rocksteadys doing this if this is indeed the case I'm all for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"