"Survival of the Fittest" Discussion Thread

The other is the would-be Rhino.

They also introduced Jean DeWolff (voice of Irene Bedard, the title character in Disney's Pocahontas) and her eventual killer Stan Carter (voice of Tom Wilson, Matt Bluestone on Gargoyles); I can't really imagine them doing that story here, but it's a nice reference either way.

I sort of wondered if that second thug would be Rhino. I missed the DeWolff/Carter ref outright, though.

Damn, this show's like LOST! Everything is a hidden reference!

yea since they are fans of the classics era we have to be very watchful to catch all the nods.

Yea i am a huge fan of the comics too but never really read many classic lee/ditko lee/romita stuff i just know of them. I only been reading and collecting from the more modern era of stuff late 90s-current.

Yea i am a huge fan of the comics too but never really read many classic lee/ditko lee/romita stuff i just know of them. I only been reading and collecting from the more modern era of stuff late 90s-current.
I have a very good amount of Romita Issues, and a ton more non-Romita Issues, but not that many Ditko Issues. I only have a few Ditko Issues.

yea the oldest issues i have is secret wars issue he got the symboite and the issue where he got the cosmic powers. The rest are late 90s-current.

Finally watched this for the first time on youtube. I was very impressed. A lot better then the recent and 90's cartoons... :)

Finally watched this for the first time on youtube. I was very impressed. A lot better then the recent and 90's cartoons... :)
LOL this is just the beginning. This episode was one of the weaker ones. Wait and see what's to come :cwink::word:

LOL this is just the beginning. This episode was one of the weaker ones. Wait and see what's to come :cwink::word:

You think so? I thought this did a good job of ending the "Peter at Connors' lab" arc, set him up for the Bugle, and showed the price of his life as Spidey (and that Peter doesn't always think everything through). A good solid episode.

You think so? I thought this did a good job of ending the "Peter at Connors' lab" arc, set him up for the Bugle, and showed the price of his life as Spidey (and that Peter doesn't always think everything through). A good solid episode.
What I meant was that it's just the tip of the iceberg :cwink:

I have a very good amount of Romita Issues, and a ton more non-Romita Issues, but not that many Ditko Issues. I only have a few Ditko Issues.

I wish I had the cash to get the issues :csad: Reading reprints don't cut it.

My review of this episode:

I had been looking forward to see a new Spider-Man series, and animated. I always hated the MTV series. I watched a couple of episodes and I was just so bored watching it. Boring and lame new villains, Electro was screwed up, they killed off Doctor Connors etc, hated the supporting cast. It was just so dull. I wanted an animated series based on the classic Spider-Man. I always felt that the 90s cartoon didin't give me that "classic" feeling, I mean, the first episode had the Lizard and it was probably the darkest episode in the whole series, then they jump right to Scorpion and the Spider Slayers. Introduce characters like Eddie Brock and Felicia Hardy before Mary Jane, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson and Liz Allan. If I remember correctly, Liz Allan only appeared what, 3 times on the show? And her first appearance was in season 2? Plus, no Gwen Stacy. Sigh, does this character always have to lead to her death? And why was there no Betty Brant? And Ned Leeds didin't appear until what, the fourth season? Plus, Anna Watson didin't appear until season 3 and she was just a mean old b***.

However, I was very happy that this show was going to be based on the old Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita stories while also having a few nods from the movies and the Ultimate comic books. I really wanted a show that had The Vulture, Electro, Sandman, Doc Ock, Green Goblin and Mysterio in one season and done RIGHT. Unfortunately we had to wait one season before seeing Mysterio but that doesn't matter. I didin't like that they left out Sandman and Electro and later turn Electro into Red Skull's son in the last season, having Vulture stealing other people's youth and becoming Man-Spider and having his first appearance at the end of the second season and also, having Hobgoblin appear before Green Goblin and we had to wait until season 3 for Green Goblin to appear. I know there where a few classic villains in the first season but they just didin't feel classic enough as they should be. Plus, having the symbiote, Venom, Hobgoblin and Felicia Hardy in the very first season before so many other important characters just felt so wrong to me. Not to mention, The Kingpin being involved in EVERYTHING. Every story arc they came up with, Kingpin will sooner or later be involved with. I hated that. Plus, some villains where just lackeys to him.

I realise I should talk about this episode. I really liked it when I first saw it. I mean, let's look at all the characters that appeared in the this first episode besides Spider-Man himself:
Flint Marko(hurray!), Alex O' Hirn, Hammerhead, The Big Man/Tombstone, Aunt May, Anna Watson(and a very nice Anna), Norman Osborn(and this Osborn, is badass), Otto Octavius, Adrian Toomes/Vulture(done right for once), Gwen Stacy(INCREDIBLE!), Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Sally Avril(!), Randy Robertson, Liz Allan(yay!), Kenny "King Kong"(surprising), The Enforces(fantastic), Professor Warren, Stan Carter and Jean DeWolfe(Sin-Eater storyline?), Eddie Brock(fine), Curt Connors, Martha Connors, J. Jonah Jameson(duh, of course he is in the first episode, otherwise it will be a terrible show), Betty Brant(yay!), Ned Lee(ds)(very good), Robbie Robertson and Fredrick Foswell(The Big Man and Patch? Wonderful! Although, he is not the Big Man in this show). Did I miss anyone? I think I mentioned everyone. Having all these characters in the pilot episode, that's just, amazing.

I really loved to see The Enforces in this episode, though, I wish we could have seen more of them before they become "The New Enforces" in season 2. Ah well, it's great seeing them here. And The Vulture, one of my favorite Spider-Man villains, voiced by Robert Englund, my god, The Vulture was just fantastic in this episode. And how fantastic wasn't it to see Gwen Stacy as a supporting character in a Spider-Man show? No seriously. She was just wasted in Spider-Man 3 and she was just an extra in the last episode of the 90s show. Wonderful to see her here but as a nerd? Well, didin't bother me so much, at least not now when she threw away those glasses in the second season and became one hot babe. Hehe. I loved her, she was just so sweet. I will be heartbroken if they kill her off in this show. Bastard Goblin(still love you Goblin but killing Gwen was too much, hehe). I really liked this show when I first saw it and I kept liking the show more and more. Now of course I love it. Though, I was a little mad at the "race changes" but now it doesn't bother me at all. And the character designs never bothered me while I was watching the show. In the trailer, yeah, it did a little but once you get used to it, you simply just don't care. And hey, we get better action sequences too, so it's all good.

A great pilot episode, 8/10.

Best line:
Vulture: I'm The Vulture!
Norman: I called you a buzzard!
Vulture: What?
Norman: You can't even get the name right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"