The Dark Knight TDK Box Office: A Relatively Small Amount; One Billion Dollars

POTC2 was without a doubt one of the worst movies i have ever endured in my entire life, and i have seen a LOT of movies. POTC2 does nothing but prove box office has nothing to do with the film's quality.

POTC2 and POTC3 are both proof of how popular Captain Jack is in popular culture. Stick him in a movie franchise and it makes $2.7 billion worldwide. If he wasn't in those movies, the first one would have flopped and the sequels never would have been made.

Well yes, though that's not really a fair assessment of the franchise. Jack is ingrained within that series. It wouldn't even be POTC w/o him.

It's like saying TDK wouldn't be the juggernaut it was without Joker. No box office records, no mainstream hype, no Oscars, nada. It's true. But that's not really saying much.

Well yes, though that's not really a fair assessment of the franchise. Jack is ingrained within that series. It wouldn't even be POTC w/o him.

It's like saying TDK wouldn't be the juggernaut it was without Joker. No box office records, no mainstream hype, no Oscars, nada. It's true. But that's not really saying much.
Well TDK's story would be completely different if it didn't have Joker in it. :oldrazz: Whether it would have gotten the same hype if it was someone other than Heath...who knows.

POTC had several storylines going on at once. I think Jack took a backseat in the second and third films relative to the first.

well, he had to... they were just finishing up other storylines just to get back full circle with him on a dingy, like the first time we see him. hell, it's simple: come in, raise hell, leave....

Well TDK's story would be completely different if it didn't have Joker in it. :oldrazz: Whether it would have gotten the same hype if it was someone other than Heath...who knows.

POTC had several storylines going on at once. I think Jack took a backseat in the second and third films relative to the first.

Actually he had more attention on him in the second film than the first one. The first one was mainly about Will/Elizabeth, the second one was mainly about quenching the public's thirst for more Captain Jack, and the third one was once again about Will/Elizabeth.

And yes Crook. TDK would not have been as big of a success without the Joker. But we have a direct predecessor to compare it to that didn't feature the Joker but still did pretty well.

A little update with this weekend's domestic and overseas gross...i understand that right now it's irrelevant what the final gross is ...but until it's in theaters i will post it's numbers.:yay:

Domestic:$533,192,086
Foreign: $468,117,910

Worldwide:$1,001,309,996

Come on 1,002 billion hit me!! :woot::woot:

Not just congratulations to those who worked on TDK, but congratulations to Batman as a character, he's hit yet another milestone in his 70 year life.

The first movie to cross the 1 billion line without an lead actor who is incredibly feminine!

titanticleonardo1.jpg

frodo.jpg

pirateDM2505_468x456.jpg

batman_l.jpg

Who would win this fight?

Not fair, the Batman is costumed.

dk005899864329991185.jpg

Now, who would win this fight? :woot:

Now, who would win this fight? :woot:

I think you know the answer to that... otherwise, ''we're done professionally''!

A little update with this weekend's domestic and overseas gross...i understand that right now it's irrelevant what the final gross is ...but until it's in theaters i will post it's numbers.:yay:

I know that people complain that Batman has never been much of a force in foreign countries, however The Dark Knight begs to differ...

The most successful international movie last year was Indiana Jones with $469,534,914... small difference.

Anyone think it will be able to top it?

I sense a bit of jealousy here. Come on guys POTC 2 & 3 were pretty good. Even if they were not your cup of tea there is no way any of you are going to convince me that they were the "worst movie ever". Even the most biased of opinions has to admit that the movies at least have some respectable production value.

Let's leave the title of "worst movie ever" to the tripe that Friedberg and Zelter crap out on a yearly basis.

Also I really hated LOTR:ROTK. I thought it was by far the stupidest and most annoying movie of the franchise. To this day I can't stand that the The Fellowship (which in my opinion is one of the best movies ever made) is overshadowed by "accomplishments" of ROTK.

I honestly think that the B.O. response and Oscar awards were in response to the quality of Fellowship (and the snubbing of Best Picture in favor of what "Chicago"?). Even still I admit that ROTK was a good movie and had tremendous production value.

1,002 billion would be asking a bit much this point don't you think?

I think at best we should be hoping for 1.002 billion. :cwink:

I sense a bit of jealousy here. Come on guys POTC 2 & 3 were pretty good.

No they weren't. They really weren't. I honestly don't care that Pirates 2 made more money than TDK - no skin off my nose - but let's not start suggesting it has any merit whatsoever. Production values are the least you'd expect from a 250-300 million dollar budget. Hell, I even think the first one is ridiculously overrated.

If you want a bit of a laugh, watch this notorious British critic unleash a ten minute rant on Pirates 3, all of which I agree with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfbc1B-i4I

Last edited:
Cant we petition to add in the Imax totals so the movie would topple Titanic?

Okay, I give up...its done all it can.

I sense a bit of jealousy here. Come on guys POTC 2 & 3 were pretty good. Even if they were not your cup of tea there is no way any of you are going to convince me that they were the "worst movie ever". Even the most biased of opinions has to admit that the movies at least have some respectable production value.

Let's leave the title of "worst movie ever" to the tripe that Friedberg and Zelter crap out on a yearly basis.

Also I really hated LOTR:ROTK. I thought it was by far the stupidest and most annoying movie of the franchise. To this day I can't stand that the The Fellowship (which in my opinion is one of the best movies ever made) is overshadowed by "accomplishments" of ROTK.

I honestly think that the B.O. response and Oscar awards were in response to the quality of Fellowship (and the snubbing of Best Picture in favor of what "Chicago"?). Even still I admit that ROTK was a good movie and had tremendous production value.

I liked the first Pirates, but I thought the sequels were horrible though...way too long and drawn out, and jammed together with storylines that were completely twisted up so bad, it was hard to even explain what the hell was going on. It sadly kinda ruined the first one for me. I still love Depp's performance though as Capt Jack.

Wow, I'm not going to criticize you for your opinion, but I don't see how you could possibly hate Return of the King, especially while loving Fellowship of the Ring. I thought RotK was the best of the entire series. Hell, all of The Lord of the Rings are one big movie, so I guess you could say "I hate the last half of LotR". But, I guess if that's what you think.

Jealousy? ...how about: its just a bad movie. Im not getting a penny from TDK's intake or POTC or LOTR's or Titanic's...but I do have an opinion and I think out of all the films that have hit the 1 billion dollar mark, POTC 2 is by FAR the worse and the only one I would concider a bad film (Yes, I liked Titanic...overrated but its still a good film.)

I had fun watching the first Pirates of the Carribean, it seemed like it would be a promising trilogy but instead it was an incoherent mess.

Btw, I LOVED ROTK and I think it deserved an oscar but I do wish Fellowship got the the 13 oscars rather than ROTK, it was clearly the best of the series!

Wow, I'm not going to criticize you for your opinion, but I don't see how you could possibly hate Return of the King, especially while loving Fellowship of the Ring. I thought RotK was the best of the entire series. Hell, all of The Lord of the Rings are one big movie, so I guess you could say "I hate the last half of LotR". But, I guess if that's what you think.
I think Fellowship of the Ring is by far the best, as I said but ROTK is the second best.

Btw, even though the LOTR is one big movie I know a lot of people who did not like the 3rd but loved the first two and vice versa.

The POTC sequels are an example of what happens when you try to add 'darkness and complexity' to a format it doesn't suit.

Long and turgid they tried making LOTR with pirates instead of the funny, offbeat action-adventures they SHOULD have been imo.

You guys got me all wrong. I wasn't defending the POTC sequals from any criticism whatsoever. In fact I perfectly see why some people might have hated those movies. I was just taken aback by some of the comments here that suggested that they were "by far" "the worst" movies ever.

Like I said I can understand if they were not your cup of tea but I'm pretty sure the title of "worst movie ever" is far more appropriate to "movies" like the garbage the Friedman and Zelter crap out onto our glorious screens year after year.

Perhaps more appropriate would be to call them the "most dissapointing" movies. In that case I have no arguments if you had high hopes based on the original but were severely let down by the new direction of the sequals. (BTY keeping with the comic theme of this board my "most "disappointing movies" include X-men 3, and Spider-Man 3)

But hey, I guess everyone entitled to hand out "worst movie ever" titles however they see fit right? :bow: My apologies HateBox.

The POTC sequels are an example of what happens when you try to add 'darkness and complexity' to a format it doesn't suit.

Long and turgid they tried making LOTR with pirates instead of the funny, offbeat action-adventures they SHOULD have been imo.
I liked the third one much better than the second, but yeah. Both felt completely different from the first one, which was a fun romp sort of movie. And then they had to put in all of the zomg world-changing supernatural stuff. :funny:

I hated the second because they had long action set pieces in which NOTHING HAPPENED. Like, three-way swordfight that goes on friggin FOREVER, and you know that nobody's gonna get hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"