Ten Batman Questions

1) What's Your Earliest Memory of Batman?

Hmm. Either the 60's show or seeing a cover of Mask of the Phantasm at Blockbuster.

2) What's Your Favourite Batman comics story?

Long Halloween? Dark Knight Returns? Too hard to decide.

Recently, I've been digging Snyder's work.

3) Which Batman film is your favourite?

TDKR
no, TDK
no, BB!

Depends on the day really.

4) Why is that film your favourite?

Each has their merits.

BB gives me great Batman vibes.
TDK is super intense
TDKR is epic, inspiring, and fun.

5) Who is Your Batman? (live action or animated)

Bale. He just looks so goddamn tortured. Plus, I love his yells...

6) Which of Batman's villains is your favourite?

Joker or Bane.

7) What's been the biggest disappointment as a Batman fan?

Hearing about a movie reviewer receiving death threats for giving a negative review to TDKR.

8) Are you happy about the casting of Ben Affleck in Superman vs Batman?

Yesssssss. Affleck is the man.

9) Which actor past or present would you have wanted to play Batman?

Hamm or Brolin for an older Bats.
Armie Hammer for a younger Bats. (I like this guy!)

All choices sound so much worse to me than Affleck though now.

10) What storyline and villains would you want in the next solo Batman film?

A Riddler/Clayface 'whodunit' story that lifts from stories like Hush, Long Halloween, Arkham City, etc, with Tim Drake's origin as well.

Then Tower of Babel in the second JL film.

Followed by an 'Under the Hood'/Killing Joke/Death in the Family amalgamation.

Last edited:
1) I'm gonna guess TAS. That pop art iconography is astounding.
2) TDKR
3) TDK
4) Nothing else needs to be said.
5) Bale. Shoutout to Conroy though.
6) Joker
7) I guess B&R? Batman's been pretty blessed.
8) Yeah I'm excited to see what he'll bring.
9) Karl Urban
10) Hmm maybe new takes on Penguin and Riddler.

Watching Superfriends on TV at my Moms workplace. I was around 5 or 6.
Then Burton Batman with 7 and at 8 I discovered Btas and I was hooked. I also started reading comics because of Btas. I started with the Batman Adventures comic based on the show.

Batman R.I.P.
For me it is the essential Batman story, because it features so much about him that I love. Its THE "Batgod" story and I love that version of Batman. I mean, he has a backup personality implemented in his mind, which takes over when his mind and psyche gets attacked. Thats so awesome! Also, he fights the Devil and Joker is ,more or less, on Batmans side. Such a great story.

Out of the classics I love Killing Joke the most.

Dark Knight Rises

I love that it takes the character in unexpected directions and that Nolan gave him a happy end, which he will never have in the comics. This movie was the most emotional time I ever had at the movies. I really had no clue what was going to happen and really thought Bats would die. I will never forget the first time I watched it. That it kept a Batman fan like me (I own 90% of all Batman comics ever published, either in print or digital) guessing for a lot of its runtime was amazing.

Bale. I grew up with Conroy and Keaton, but both aren't really Batman for me. I really like Keaton, but he is Burtons Batman, not mine. Also, I think Conroy is hugely overrated.
Bale is my Batman. He was perfect.

Joker. Easy. Love almost all of them, though. Prof. Pyg is underused and a great villain.

The Sideshow Batman Premium Format Figure. I waited 3 years for it and now its ugly as hell and I won't buy it.
Besides that, I am a happy Batfan. There is always great Batman stuff to be found.

At first I freaked out, but now I like it. I think he will do well.

Hmm. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, maybe? Josh Brolin? I dunno. Happy with what we got.

Adapting whole stories are boring to me, because I know what will happen. I liked how Nolan did it. A few elements from great stories inside a new one.

Oh and I want to see Joker again, creepier than ever. Also I would like to see some of Morrisons villains in live action. Dr.Hurt or Pyg. That would be so dark and psycho.

1. My earliest Batman memories are renting Batman & Robin VHS from Blockbuster every week.

2. Oh, this is such a difficult question. Without doubt it's going to be a Grant Morrison story. If I'm allowed his entire run, I want that, it's a magnum opus on everything Batman has ever been and touches upon everything that has been important in his 75 year history, it defines Batman as an extraordinary man who fights death in much the same way that Superman fights the impossible.

But if I have to have one section, it would be the Batman Reborn section. It's everything from the run in a microchosm.

3. Either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.

4. Batman Begins because it was the final step in reinvigorating the superhero genre.

It strode the line of gritty groundedness and fantastical objects well, as well as providing us with a relatable Bruce Wayne, which Keaton only really grased upon, and Schumacher gave it a subplot. For Nolan it was first and foremost- This is Bruce Wayne, this is what he is feeling, this is why.

The Dark Knight because it was the "Eureka!" moment for superhero films. Heath, Jonah and Chris delivered a fantastic incarmation of Joker, he was charismatic, vile and disgusting all at the same time, he chewed the scenery in a magnificent way and is a testment to all of them in thier talents. The film itself is tense throughout and has a strong, sympathetic, depfessing storyline in the fall of Harvey Dent, counterpointed by the hopeful cynicism hatched by the victory conspiracy of Gordon and Batman. All around great films, and I've come to love The Dark Knight Rises to, that series definitely is a treat to Batman, comic book and cinema fans.

5. I almost wish I could say it was anyone other than Bale, but I'd be lying.

6. Has anyone said anything other than Joker?

7. We've only in passing seen Batman as an Arthurian type. The man has the biggest family in comic books. Use it!

8. Yes. When it was first rumoured for Justice League I was wary, because I wanted a young Batman to go with our young Superman. But they wanted older and Ben, along with his screenwriting resources will only improve the film.

9. I'm really not sure. If they were going to go young for BVS, I'd have liked to have seen what Luke Evans could have done as Batman.

10. Jason Todd, Dr Hurt (failing that, Hugo Strange).

Reruns of the Adam West TV show and the Filmation cartoons.

Detective Comics #613

The Dark Knight

It's the most well balanced one to date.

Kevin Conroy.

Two-Face.

Batman: Hush.

Yes.

Gregory Peck.

Something original for the story. Wouldn't mind seeing The Riddler in a movie again.

The Adam West show. I remember Burgess Meredith's Penguin having Batman and Robin strung up behind a shooting gallery in an amusement park, and Gordon and O'Hara were about to unknowingly shoot them.

The Killing Joke

The Dark Knight

It's the most well balanced, emotionally hard hitting, well acted movie that stays true to the spirit of the comics. I love that it's all about the consequences of Batman on Gotham. It asks hard hitting questions about how much good could a vigilante like Batman do on a city. Bale was awesome and underrated. Heath Ledger's Joker is the greatest comic book movie villain of all time. Bar none. Cinematic legend. Harvey Dent's story was powerful and tragic. Oldman gave his best Gordon performance.

Live action: Christian Bale
Animated: Kevin Conroy

The Joker. He is the perfect ying to Batman's yang. Black vs white. Order vs chaos. I like that he's a mystery. No definitive back story. He's an absolute of anarchy and evil.

The Dark Knight Rises. So much wasted potential. Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination though. Just not up to Nolan's great standard that he set with the previous two movies.

As happy as I can be without having seen anything yet. He's a good actor, looks the part, and I am giving him every chance to prove himself.

Alec Baldwin. After seeing him in The Shadow I think he would have been an awesome Batman.

The Penguin. He's one of my favorites. Bags of potential for him. Not sure what story I'd want to see.

Waiting in line to see Batman 89.

Year One.

Tied between BB & TDK

Just a new take on Batman. It's realism, and dark tone.

Kevin Conroy. That voice. When I read Batman comics, I hear Conroy's voice in my head.

Bane. I always like a villain who can (and has) actually beaten Batman.

The campy stuff, whether i's the Adam West series or the Schumacher films. Batman to me is supposed to be dark and serious. I can't take the campy stuff.

Yes. I do wish they went younger, but Affleck is good.

When they were saying "established Batman", I was thinking that Michael C. Hall could be good. He could play the double role well, and had the physicality. Plus he was a bit older (early 40s) like Affleck.

I think doing a story based of the Arkham Games would be incredible. Starting with Arkham Asylum.

Being 5 years old dressed up as Superman, seeing a kid dressed up as Batman, and wanting that kid's costume.

Probably the original Engleheart/Rogers run.

Three way tie between Batman 89', Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight.

89' and Begins just had that...perfect Batman "feel", almost like the comics had come to life. The Dark Knight is just an excellent film, period.

Kevin Conroy, without question. More definitive than any Live Action actor in the role, save for Adam West.

The Four: Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin.

This overeliance on grimdark storytelling. Its spoiled a few Batcharacters, even Batman himself sometimes.

I hope he delivers.

Maybe Jon Hamm or Ryan Gosling. Someone who could portray Batman leading man style instead of character actor style.

I want someone to modernize Riddler and Penguin on film, make them threats again. Storyline wise, Strange Appirations.

I think the earliest memory i have is either hearing the theme song to the 60s series or watching the Tim Burton movie. Not sure which one came first.

Dark Knight Returns might be the one but that could change in time. It was just such a bold statement.

The trilogy (as i see it as one 7 hour film) but ill go with Dark Knight Rises.

The emotion within Bruce's final journey. The epic scope which really comes down to my love of filmmaking. The Inception-esque cast, as i love that movie and thought it was a fantastic decision to bring Hardy, Cotillard and JGL into the batman franchise. The fact that it's a true ending and it wraps up everything in a perfect bow.

Animated: Conroy
Live-action thus far: Bale

It will always be the Joker.

The campy side has its charm i guess but it's irritating to see it in the mainstream. Especially when non-fans (especially older generations) think it's some silly Adam West type of thing. Whether they insult it or think of the West stuff as the Batman. It annoys me because Batman is a dark and three-dimensional character with a lot of psychology brought to the table. He's a deep character so for people to shrug it off as a joke? Ugh.

As a fan, i hate the purist attitude and nitpicky nature of its fanbase as well.

Batman & Robin was the biggest disappointment for me growing up.

Yes. I was shocked and grossed out at first then i thought about it. Im excited now and i think he'll deliver well for this version.

In the 80s, it would be Alec Baldwin with James Cameron directing. Clint Eastwood in the late 90s/early 2000s as 70ish Bruce Wayne. Josh Brolin in a one-off Dark Knight Returns adaptation. Ryan Gosling as a mid 30s Batman in a more artsy, R-Rated Batman movie...think a one-off with Nicolas Refn directing.

Storyline? Arkham Asylum could be cool.

Villains? I do & I don't want to see Riddler. It's a love/hate relationship! So im gonna go with Penguin. I wouldn't mind seeing a proper Mr. Freeze or the original Basil Karlo version of Clayface as a side character, but Penguin is the one. A more refined, detailed, new version of Penguin: Pain and Prejudice would be the main influence.

Watching the Adam West show re-runs.Loved it then and now.Great version of the Silver Age that should never be forgotten.

B:TAS had a companion comic and Paul Dini wrote many many great sequels to series episodes.My favorite is Batman & Robin Adventures issues 1&2.The story has Joker taunting Two-face into thinking Bruce and Grace (his girlfriend) are two timing him,undoing all the progress he was making and sending him out in a rage. Harvey's actions ruin his relationship with Grace irrevocably.(presumably,that's why she never showed up in series again) Joker spends the whole episode in his cell.When asked by Batman why he was prompted to set Two-Face off over a lie,he responds "It was Tuesday."

Batman Begins.Batman Mask of the Phantasm is probably a close second,but I always think of it as part of the series and not "a film".

It was everything the earlier films were not.It told the origin in grand epic fashion,much the same as STM did.It left with the promise of greater times ahead as well.(whether or not that was achieved,is up to to you) I don't think the origin will ever been done again as well.

Conroy.BTAS is the best incarnation of Bats hands down.
Live action?I always have trouble picking just one since each has their merits.Adam West will always be Batman to me.Bale was probably the best all around representation of the character.Keaton was always a favorite of mine,he made those first two movies enjoyable.

Gorshin's Riddler and Hamill's Joker

The disregard for the Bat-family in live action.It's a big part of the mythos and is constantly pushed out of live action.Batman isn't nearly as interesting without Robin,Nightwing,Batgirl,etc.If we get another film with just him and Alfred,so help me!Give Alfred a rest!There are other people for Bruce to talk to!
I want Batgirl,not Oracle!
And by all means,bring more humor to the Joker in the future movies!

Well,I liked him in Daredevil,so I think he'll do alright.

I don't have anybody in mind.People have mentioned Richard Armitage,and I'd be down with that.I think he's a very underrated actor.I hate the idea of Alec Baldwin as Batman though.Never liked the guy.(Well,I can take him better now that he's old and fat and pokes fun at himself a la William Shatner :woot:)

I'd like to see Robin's origin.(Dick Grayson in the circus.)Joker and Harley (finally) in live action.Maybe Two Face set up for the sequel with Penguin involved.Third with Mr Freeze.

Hey BH, I love these question threads! Thanks!

I don't think I own it anymore, but I was given this book when I was little and I remember reading it all the time. Not much long after I discovered this was a cartoon on Fox Kids...

The Long Halloween, I read it so much in high school. I need to buy it myself its been over five years since I read it.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (If you want live action then Batman Returns)

Yeah I cheated but it was in theaters! The VHS was given to me as a gift and for the longest time in my childhood it was my most vivid memory of Batman alongside Batman Forever and later Returns on VHS (I didn't see the original 89 Batman until..2009....). The story is fantastic, it has alot of great moments with Bruce and one of the visually coolest Batman villains ever. My young mind would always be blown watching it, alot of my love for the film is probably based on childhood nostalgia.

Kevin Conroy, I didn't discover Michael Keaton until afterwards. ;)

Mr. Freeze, large due to Batman:The Animated Series. His tragic backstory is fantastic and plus he looks freaking sweet. I was pleased when Arkham City presented him as one of the best boss battles I've ever done.

TDK and TDKR, while I think they are good films I don't think they are very good Batman films. After the fantastic Batman Begins I was disappointed to go to the mostly realistic world presented in its sequels devoid of alot of the fantasy that largely was the reason I came to love the world of Batman in the first place. I think some of that disappointment has translated into Man of Steel as well unfortunately. I know its a controversial opinion so I usually avoid mentioning my opinions...but its hard when I'm the oddball surrounding by friends and family who view the TDK trilogy and Christopher Nolan as the best thing since sliced bread. I just don't share those views and don't like this gritty realism trend WB seems to want follow for DC films, its not what I want.

I will say this though, I loved TDKR's version of Bane...minus certain aspects of his story.

I'm very intrigued by it, and certainly am eager to see him as Batman. I think its great casting. I think the beard could look good too....maybe...I better get a grey suit though!

Karl Urban, I've always liked him as an actor but Dredd really intensified my desire to see him as Bats. A live-action Kevin Conroy would of been cool too.

I'd like to see Mr. Freeze done great somehow. I have this crazy idea of somehow incorporating it with Year One...my favorite Batman stories usually involve snow....

A immortal Ra's Al Ghul is something I've always wanted...really just some supernatural/fantasy put up against Batman would be great.

The Court of Owls would be a sweet! Especially if several solo films built up to it.

Last edited:
Hey BH, I love these question threads! Thanks!

Thanks man, it wasn't my original idea. Jett on BOFs been doing them with celebs etc but I thought hey what about us fans? So I started with the Superman one and went from there, plus the questions are all my own.

I'm working on a Justice League one and will probably do an Avengers one aswell which will be tough for me because I don't know too much about the Avengers, but I'm sure I can come up with 10 questions.

The Adam West show. Then Batman 89.

Arkham Asylum.

tie between the TDK trilogy and Burton's movies. Also Batman the movie.

I can't chose one movie obviously. I prefer to chose several, because it illustrates how malleable the character is, while there are some stuffs you have to keep, such as his origins, his identity, his altruism. There is always a Batman you can love.

So far, that would be Christian Bale. With Kilmer being a close one, thanks to some amazing but sadly mostly deleted scenes in Forever. He could have been an amazing Batman.

That would be two-face. I love this tragic character whose worst enemy is himself. Sadly, a lot of writer doesn't use enough of Harvey when two-face is here.

that there aren't more showcase presents Batman or Batman chronicles released anymore.

I'm really happy about it since day one. I think it's a great idea, as proved by Terrio helping rewrite the script.

I have honestly no idea. I'm not really interested in fan casting.

I would want something really psychological, like Arkham Asylum, or the two parts legends of the dark knight story "masks".

Batman Beyond and watch the Tim Burton films on VHS

Killing Joke or The Dark Knight Returns. I don't read much Batman comics though!

The Dark Knight, obviously

It's the only really perfect CBM in my opinion. I could spend all day talking about it, I really,really love it! The cast,score,story,execution and characterization is just amazing.

Kevin Conroy and Christian Bale

Joker, his origin is a mystery and he is a good contrast to Batman.

The Dark Knight Rises. The sequel to in my opinion the best CBM ever and I thought it kinda sucked.

Yes actually, I think he'll surprise people.

If it's an older Batman then it's gotta be Josh Brolin. I'm easy who it is if it's younger.

Penguin or Court Of The Owls.

The Adam West tv show...I was obsessed with it as a kid

The Long Halloween

The Dark Knight with Batman Returns a close second.

It's just a darn good story, it also transcended to being more than just a comic book movie.

I guess Bale by default.

Too many to choose from. Seriously Batman has the best rogues gallery ever.
It's probably one of the reasons I love the character.

The Dark Knight Rises.

Absolutely. Never crossed my mind but sounds good to me.

Hmmmm...that's actually a tough one. I was pretty open before Batfleck was cast, didn't really have a favorite.

The Long Halloween. It'd be epic.

Batman:TAS

Long Halloween, Knightfall.

TDK

The best Batman movie so far if you ask me but I love all the TDKT and also like the first two of Tim Burton.

Keaton, Bruce Timm's one. hard to choose.

Joker.

prefer not to talk about this.

Yeah. I think he'll do a good job.

John Hamm.

Riddler, Killer Crock, Deathstroke.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a BIG Batman fan... and I mean any Batman from any era. I never followed Star Wars/Trek as a kid, never liked Tolkien's LOTR and never had any desire to delve too deeply into another comic characters history.

But Batman? Man, there was just something about that whole world that I wanted to immerse myself in. 23 years old and I'm still as engrossed and passionate about it as I was when I was 5 (My dedication to monthly comics may be waning however). Therefore, these questions will be tricky to answer:

Growing up in the 90's this is a bit of a blur. It's one big mixture between the Adam West series on reruns, the Tim Burton films on VHS, the Schumacher films in the cinema and of course Batman: The Animated Series.

What truly made me a fan? Tim Burton and Batman: The Animated Series.

I dont think I have an out and out favourite. Anything by Denny O Neil or Paul Dini is always worth a read.

THIS is a tough one. Oooh

It's between Batman '89, Batman Returns and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

There are too many varied reasons to answer that question succinctly.

Michael Keaton (Live Action - Christian Bale a VERY close second)

Kevin Conroy (Animated)

The Joker as long as he isn't overused in one particular medium. I also enjoy a good Ra's Al Ghul story. (That's Raish, Mr Nolan.)

I don't think I have any major disappointments as a Batman fan. Yes, The Dark Knight Rises wasn't everything it could've been but I still like it.

You know what disappoints me?

That we didn't get more Burton/Keaton action. Even one more movie so they could call it a trilogy. :csad:

I don't about things like this... whether he's right or wrong for the part, the Batman character and mythology will always endure.

These things are like peaks and valleys. Let's just see where Ben resides.

BUT, I do like him. He seems like a great guy, at a good stage in his career and is genuinely passionate about it. I'm actually rooting for him and hopes he knocks it out of the park.

Kurt Russell?

Let's get more fantastical again... It's time the pendulum swings back in the direction of Burton.

Imagine an Affleck-starring Batman movie, directed by Alfonso Cuaron where he has to face Man-Bat, Hugo Strange & The Monster Men. Pf course, Batman's love interest can be Julie Madison in a 1950's tinged Gotham.

The Batman: A Psychological Horror-Thriller.:woot:

My father made paper Batman masks for me and my brother
My bro had a cape, I wanted to have a cape
I remember knowing Batman and Zorro before that day, but I don't recall how I knew them

Anything from the Alan grant/Norm Breyfogle run on Detective Comics

Batman 1989

Childhood nostalgia has a minor role
I love the costume, the setting, the guy playing Batman, the guy playing Joker, how each character is portrayed, the Bat-vehicles, the ost, how the story plays, etc

Live action is Michael Keaton, I can't see him without calling him Batman

The Riddler. He's interesting, I love riddles, and he's not that much of a major psycho other Batman foes like Joker, Harley, Ivy, Harvey, and HUSH are

Batman 700
The story sucks, I read it when I was insomniac, never read it again, and I can recall enough as to why the secret was right in the hands of all the Batmen, that stupid secret we were teased about. Open the freaking notebook

Indifferent right now
I loved him in the role of Matt Murdock, not sure how I'd think seeing him wearing a cape and playing a less acrobatic vigilante

None come to mind

I'd like to see Clayface, basil Karlo starting like his old self (Joker in TDK with the makeup and the knife), then he gets to mold himself to be all clay muk

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"