Terry Brooks Shannara Coming To TV

Yeah. I just finished the pilot, and the book has a much better set up. The first half of the pilot suffered a lot from the forced in MTV-ness. Elven dance! Elven babes! Etc. Also, I know technically there's no reason for people in this make believe fantasy world to have more contemporary dialects, but the fact that many of these characters have a clear Southern California dialect going on is just very jarring. Especially the Elves.

There are a few ideas presented in the show that I don't mind as additions. Shea didn't die in squalor as a drunk, nor was he Will's father, but it very much fits with the way Brooks eventually develops magic. The "magic always has a price" thing was developed later on in the series, but Shea falling victim to it's after effects is a nice touch that adds a bit of tragedy to those who read Sword.

I like the overall shift of Allanon's character. In fact, Manu isn't too far off personality wise, if anything, he's actually a bit softer than Allanon was in the books. I don't mind the look either, since book Allanon was more or less you're generic "wizard in a robe" type. I do wish they had used camera tricks to make him appear massive. He's supposed to be 7ft, but that's a small thing.

Also, the Eretria is rough. Her deliveries are quite bad at times, and she actually has some decent lines. I just don't think she's the best actress. Her scene with Amberele was better than the one with Wil though, so hopefully she improves throughout the show.

Contemporary dialects are weird but I don't mind them if they're done right. It's just all done without much thought to help make it less noticeable.

I really like Manu. And yeah I agree I prefer what they did with him in the show. Allanon is just like Aragorn crossed with Gandalf in the book and even that illustration anyway so it's not a bad thing.

Eretria is indeed rough. I feel like they picked her more for her looks which are MTV. As an idea she's a great character even though I haven't gotten to her yet in the books but at least in the show she is. She could have been my favorite character if not for that acting. Wil and Amberle are fine and very likeable.

Contemporary dialects are weird but I don't mind them if they're done right. It's just all done without much thought to help make it less noticeable.

I really like Manu. And yeah I agree I prefer what they did with him in the show. Allanon is just like Aragorn crossed with Gandalf in the book and even that illustration anyway so it's not a bad thing.

Eretria is indeed rough. I feel like they picked her more for her looks which are MTV. As an idea she's a great character even though I haven't gotten to her yet in the books but at least in the show she is. She could have been my favorite character if not for that acting. Wil and Amberle are fine and very likeable.

Yeah, it stood out more because you have some people doing more "classic" UK based dialects, and then others doing contemporary American. And it didn't help that many of these juxtapositions were with people who were related. Wil and his uncle Flick, Amberle and her uncles compared to the King etc. It was just very sloppy.

Allanon in the books ends up being a nice twist on the classic benevolent if stern mentor/wizard type, and the show has chosen to emphasize this in his look. Though, as I said before, it's interesting that the shows Allanon actually shows a bit more emotion than his book counterpart.

And I agree. Eretria seems to have been chosen for looks alone, and it shows. She's just very stiff. Wil and Amberle are fine, though they've made Wil bit more quippy whereas book Wil was more stoic and reserved.

The Dagada Mor looks great. I'm also excited to see how The Reaper will be depicted.

I agree that the actress playing Eretria leaves a lot to be desired.... Otherwise the casting is pretty good for everyone else.

Yeah, it stood out more because you have some people doing more "classic" UK based dialects, and then others doing contemporary American. And it didn't help that many of these juxtapositions were with people who were related. Wil and his uncle Flick, Amberle and her uncles compared to the King etc. It was just very sloppy.

Allanon in the books ends up being a nice twist on the classic benevolent if stern mentor/wizard type, and the show has chosen to emphasize this in his look. Though, as I said before, it's interesting that the shows Allanon actually shows a bit more emotion than his book counterpart.

And I agree. Eretria seems to have been chosen for looks alone, and it shows. She's just very stiff. Wil and Amberle are fine, though they've made Wil bit more quippy whereas book Wil was more stoic and reserved.

The Dagada Mor looks great. I'm also excited to see how The Reaper will be depicted.

Rhys-Davis playing Eventine is good casting. Though I don't like how they de-aged Ander. Again playing to MTV expectations.

I'm a short ways in but I think I prefer Wil in the show. He's got the good heart of book Wil but he's got a sense of humor. (I got to the part after where the King of the Silver River saved their asses. If anything he kind of reminded me of Gandalf, even if he briefly appeared.

I think they may have showed The Reaper in the previews. He's huge and has horns with red eyes.

Liking this show quite a bit. I thought I'd like a show like The Expanse more but the characters and plot here are not as dull and confusing, even if there is questionable acting from time to time and Manu Bennett seems like he's acting for another show and doesn't quite fit this one. He's the Qui-Gon Jinn / Obi-Wan Kenobi figure. The hardest thing to deal with is skipping through the awful MTV ads on the DVR. Poppy Drayton's Amerble is carrying the main thrust of the show so far 4 episodes in - kind of like a female Luke Skywalker / Leia hybird - and Austin Butler's Will is a usually endearing - if not amusing or used for amusement - somewhat B-grade Luke Skywalker wannabe. Yeah there's a little bit of Star Wars there. Ivana Baquero's Eritrea the Rover and trickster is the lesser actor of the three, but I've kind of found it makes her distinguished from the other two young characters - whether that's a good thing or not, like the Manu Bennett issue.

Last edited:
I was blown away to find out that Ivana is the little girl from Pan's Labyrinth! Wow, she's a total babe now! I'm glad to see her still working.

Austin Butler......man, he'd be great as a young Prince Adam for a He-Man movie!

I like the show so far. Even though it moves too fast for its own good. It needed to take things slower in the first episode for a proper set up. Longer shots, less 2 second editing cuts......just breathe. Let the story and characters and mythology breathe. MTV has poured a lot of money into this though, and some of the SFX is quite good. The story and world building just gets lost because it moves super fast and it doesn't need to. 15 minutes into the pilot and I said "Wow, calm down" to my TV lol. But yeah, I'm glad it's been successful thus far.

The Shannara Chronicles: Mid-Season Trailer
[YT]SvvmTJYPRp0[/YT]

I thought the Dagda Mor looked reminiscent of Malekith from T:TDW, and the brief glimpse of the Reaper seemed to resemble Kurse quite a bit.

Did I see a dance club scene in that trailer, or did I just dream that? Is there a dance club in this fantasy realm? Is that a thing from the books, or is that just because it's MTV?

(I know it's really post-apocalyptic earth, but still.)

Yeah... I saw the same thing. I'm deciding if I should just finish the book first. Because so far it's better.

Did I see a dance club scene in that trailer, or did I just dream that? Is there a dance club in this fantasy realm? Is that a thing from the books, or is that just because it's MTV?

(I know it's really post-apocalyptic earth, but still.)

It's just from MTV. I saw a couple more changes from the book which disappointed me.

Book spoilers about the changes from the trailer

It seems that Eventine is killed by the Changling and Arion who I was happy died in the book lives longer. Eventine dies in the book too but gets the Changling first.

I thought the last episode dragged on a little bit and the whole kidnapping routine had too much of a 'been there, done that' vibe about it. I also don't understand why
the Changeling didn't get Rhys-Davis
the first time around?

I was under the impression that they killed the changeling. Is this a new one?

So reading further into this book, and it's just so much better than the show so far. I feel like yeah... it's been dumbed down literally for an MTV audience. I still enjoy it, but there's some cool and unique stuff from the books that would make this stand out more.

It regenerated apparently and killed the elf who was supposed to burn it in the last scene of that ep.

It was shown to not really be dead at the end of the last episode.

Dr. Jones said:
So reading further into this book, and it's just so much better than the show so far. I feel like yeah... it's been dumbed down literally for an MTV audience. I still enjoy it, but there's some cool and unique stuff from the books that would make this stand out more.

Yeah, that's my issue right now too. There are parts that are okay (Manu as Allanon, Gimli as the King) but there's so much dumb added drama that just takes away from the story and dumbs down the whole thing. It lacks the frantic energy the book has because the feeling of being pursued isn't nearly as strong.

It's a shame the show was optioned by this network, or that MTV wasn't willing to evolve it's storytelling more. But I'm definitely starting to lose interest in this version of the world.

Minor book spoilers but it sounds like Dr. Jones has gotten past the last ep in the book.

Some of the changes from the book I understand. They are expanding the quest and reducing the scale of the demonwar which must be to save money. I get that.

However I don't understand why they had Cephalo(who is worse than in the books) save them from the reaper instead of Kristan. Why make the captain of the Elven Hunters an idiot and bully instead of the hero who fought the Reaper one on one knowing he was a dead man and gave Will the time he needed? The time to drop the bridge into the ravine that is.

It was shown to not really be dead at the end of the last episode.

Yeah, that's my issue right now too. There are parts that are okay (Manu as Allanon, Gimli as the King) but there's so much dumb added drama that just takes away from the story and dumbs down the whole thing. It lacks the frantic energy the book has because the feeling of being pursued isn't nearly as strong.

It's a shame the show was optioned by this network, or that MTV wasn't willing to evolve it's storytelling more. But I'm definitely starting to lose interest in this version of the world.

I really do love the nature of their quest so far. It has a lot of tension and foreboding. I did love the hidden cabin inside the crates on the barge touch. It reminds me of Fellowship of the Ring's first third of the book where they're trying to evade but this is just as much fun, despite the redundant prose. I don't know how many times I've read, "...into the gloom."

Well that sucked. Yet more changes that make no sense to me. I will stick it out for the last 4 eps though and hope it improves.

I've pretty much decided I'll read the book first and then watch the show.

I really do love the nature of their quest so far. It has a lot of tension and foreboding. I did love the hidden cabin inside the crates on the barge touch. It reminds me of Fellowship of the Ring's first third of the book where they're trying to evade but this is just as much fun, despite the redundant prose. I don't know how many times I've read, "...into the gloom."

Yeah, his early work he has a lot of redundancy. But oh boy, if Brooks' can bug you a little, you'll go insane when you start Wheel of Time. If I had a penny for every time Jordan describes how one character yanks on her braid....

And yeah, overall, the show is fairly disappointing. Possibly even more so because it isn't outright awful. It's got some good ideas and some really nice visuals in places, and then it comes it with it's MTV-ness and all of a sudden I feel like I'm watching a theatrical version of bro's playing D&D that someone decided to stage.

"And then...uh...the hot chick decides to bone me in the elf place dude!"

:whatever:

As someone who has read all of the Shannara books, this series isn't too bad. There will be limitations to what can be shown due to the channel and the fact that it's on television, rather being a rated R movie. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

As someone who has read all of the Shannara books, this series isn't too bad. There will be limitations to what can be shown due to the channel and the fact that it's on television, rather being a rated R movie. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

The book wouldn't have needed to be an R-rated movie if it was faithfully adapted. In fact, the show is even more violent than that book I'd argue. The biggest problem is the forced MTV aspects. Too many pretty faces who can't act, random needles love stories added...ect. It's not bad...but it's not really good either. Like I said above, it's got some moments of great execution, especially on the cinematography end, but overall the tone is off.

The book wouldn't have needed to be an R-rated movie if it was faithfully adapted. In fact, the show is even more violent than that book I'd argue. The biggest problem is the forced MTV aspects. Too many pretty faces who can't act, random needles love stories added...ect. It's not bad...but it's not really good either. Like I said above, it's got some moments of great execution, especially on the cinematography end, but overall the tone is off.

I totally agree. Maybe it's a generational thing as well. Brooks is 72. He wrote most of these stories about 20 or so years before the average current MTV viewer was the even born. Maybe the producers are trying to reach that generation by adding all this stuff to appeal to them.

It's kind of like Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire movie. Too much teenaged angst. The story would be fine without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"