The 2008 Holiday Movie thread

Watson

Ninja delivery girl
Reaction score
In honour of Christmas being a mere 25 days away (and only 22 till the start of Hanukkah), it's time to discuss holiday movies. What films do you absolutely have to watch this season? Any favourites whilst decorating the tree and chugging the eggnog? Any suggestions for those not in the holiday know? Do you watch films not typically described as Christmas films? Discuss!

And as a public service I'm throwing in a TV schedule of all the Holiday programming this season care of Television Without Pity.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/holidays/holiday_guide_2008_december_tv.php

The notables:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the classic)
ABC, Dec. 2nd, 8:30pm

Elf
Saturday 12/20 CBS, 8 PM

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Tuesday 12/23, TBS, 8 PM

A Christmas Story
Wednesday12/24, TBS, 8 PM (plays for 24 hours)

It's a Wonderful Life
Wednesday 12/24, NBC, 8 PM

Personally, the movie I have to watch is Miracle on 34th Street. I've been watching it every year since I was a kid and nothing says Christmas to me more then Natalie Wood getting the house and family she always dreamed of.

Non-traditionally, I usually watch the Godfather. I've always considered this a holiday film because of how some of the film is set around the holidays, and because I believe the first time I ever saw it was around this time.

On Christmas Eve, I always watch A Christmas Carol, the really old version with Alastair Sim. Christmas day is always reserved for watching the new movies I get and going out to see whatever is new in the theatres. Last Year was AVP 2 and this year it will be Benjamin Button :)

Personal Favorites:

A Christmas Story (watch it every year on TNT)

Miracle on 34th Street

Ernest Saves Christmas (I know it's on the "worst" Christmas movies list, but I still love this one, knowhuttamean?)

Die Hard (hey, it's a Christmas movie)

The Ref (Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey at their funniest)

Love, Actually (a great Christmas film that will almost always get you laid)

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

The Nightmare Before Christmas

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

White Christmas

Scrooged

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (either version... they both have their charm, IMHO)

Personal fav = The Santa Clause.

Non traditional favs = I like watching either Die Hard or Batman Returns. lol

- Jow

Personal fav = The Santa Clause.

Non traditional favs = I like watching either Die Hard or Batman Returns. lol

- Jow

Returns is as Christmassy as any superhero movie can get. I definitely try to see it around this time of year.

It's a Wonderful Life. One of my favorite movies, and I have to watch it every Christmas. I can watch that whenever, actually.

Love Actually is also good Christmas movie. :up:

A Christmas Carol - there are a few versions I like: Alastair Sim, the Muppets, and Mickey's is pretty cute.

The MST3K version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's just too funny/bad not to watch.

My favorite TV special is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Must watch that one every year. :woot:

It's a Wonderful Life. One of my favorite movies, and I have to watch it every Christmas. I can watch that whenever, actually.

Love Actually is also good Christmas movie. :up:

A Christmas Carol - there are a few versions I like: Alastair Sim, the Muppets, and Mickey's is pretty cute.

The MST3K version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's just too funny/bad not to watch.

My favorite TV special is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Must watch that one every year. :woot:

I finally caved into the muppet love and bought that this year :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"