The #4 movie - which movie series will have it first?

Then how can people still call it X4?

There are plenty of reasons already posted on why it could be looked at that way. As well as reasons it shouldn't. Until we learn more I don't think anyone will change their opinion.

Last edited:
There are plenty of reasons already posted on why it could be looked at that way. As well as reasons it shouldn't. Until we learn more I don't anyone will change their opinion.
That's my thing. Singer says it himself it's its own thing but yet people refuse to listen to the guy making the film.
I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but granted it's a stupid *** opinion, I'm electing to ignore it.

On a side note, if there's an Iron Man 4 I think they should use the story "The Five Nightmares" from Fraction's run on the series. It's the perfect storyline for the movies for a number of reasons:

1. It fits with their more low fantasy, semi-realistic sci-fi approach to the series.

2. It connects to the first IM by having the villain be Ezekial Stane.

3. It brings in S.H.I.E.L.D. who are missing from IM3.

4. It take Iron Man/Tony Stark to the next level personally and as a hero.

5. It finally shows someone taking Stark's tech and taking it to the next level.

The film lost it's original Director and Singer did rewrites. It has changed since Vaughn left, no doubt about it. There was also studio talk about Days Of Future Past before FC.

I just don't see it that way at all. Avengers is literally it's own series apart from the other stand alone Marvel franchises. Dofp is not, and the X-Men won't be coming back every three years to star in a DoFP film. It's part of the same X-men film line and that's all that has ever been there. Doesn't matter if the decade or cast is different. I get what your trying to say I just disagree. I think they are def trying to pull something similar in terms of the size of Avengers here, and that Fox is aching to cash in. It's just not the same situation in terms of how these films are set up or crossed over at all. X-Men post X3 are just going back in time. Thats not 4 films coming togther to star in an all new title. There are no crossing over of different characters from multiple stand alone series and no new series title or anything like that. I hope they go that route later post DofP, but for now none of that exists.

But yeah, think I'm going in circles now so agree to disagree haha.

See... The Avengers was introduced in the post credits of IM1, and it paid off story threads from that and IM2, as well as other films. It was anything but standalone. Not *as* connected as the X-Men films, but IM3's trailer starts with "Nothing's been the same since New York..." It's all part of the same story, they just have different names depending on which characters it's focusing on, while the X-Men films have different names based on what time period it's focusing on. Not the same, but the same principles apply.

And Singer's hoping for the same, so you're in good company. :D

Good convo.

^^^ Thank you Cosmic for expressing this in a way I couldn't and with Singer's quotes to back it up. People seem to have forgotten that before the title was officially Days of Future Past it was X-Men: First Class 2. I had been looking for when he said it's not so much of a sequel as it is it's own thing, just couldn't remember which interview it was. But of course no matter what Singer says people are still going to call it X4 because that's what they want it to be.

Very welcome. I understand where they're coming from... some of my friends did call Avengers "Iron Man 3" (or the Wolverine movie "Wolverine 4"). It was quite funny, but they have a point, this is the next step in the story, so why not call it a sequel to the previous part of the story? Other than it's a slight to those who are doing their own stories here.

People seem to have forgotten that before the title was officially Days of Future Past it was X-Men: First Class 2. I had been looking for when he said it's not so much of a sequel as it is it's own thing, just couldn't remember which interview it was. But of course no matter what Singer says people are still going to call it X4 because that's what they want it to be.

Umm ya know things always change. After First Class was released, we didn't know the original cast was gonna return for the next movie.
My thing is if Singer says:
Then how can people still call it X4?
[/I]

And after that interview, he said that DOFP is both of FC2 and X4.

Anyway, DOFP is gonna look like its X-Men 4 more than First Class 2 just because majority of the cast/characters were in X3. It doesn't matter what your reasons are for not seeing it as X-Men 4. It will be X-Men 4 to most people especially general audience. You can compare it to The Avengers, but First Class was never a separate series like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. Probably it was intended to be a separate series but First Class is now a prequel to most people. Even if they make another First Class movie in the future, it will still appear as a prequel.

Last edited:
Why can't we just consider DOFP a standalone sequel, like The Wolverine? That's what it sounds like it is.

Why can't we just consider DOFP a standalone sequel, like The Wolverine? That's what it sounds like it is.

Because this film is set after X-Men 3 and 10 years after First Class, thats why its a sequel to both of those films. Wolverine is set after X3 but its a spin-off movie and the movie isn't about the X-Men.

If DOFP is just a stand alone sequel or movie, they could have just set this between X2 and X3, like Star Wars: the Clone Wars. Or they could have just included Cyclops and Jean Grey. But they obviously didn't go in that direction.

George Lucas gave everyone the finger when Star Wars: A New Hope was really Episode 4.

And after that interview, he said that DOFP is both of FC2 and X4.

Anyway, DOFP is gonna look like its X-Men 4 more than First Class 2 just because majority of the cast/characters were in X3. It doesn't matter what your reasons are for not seeing it as X-Men 4. It will be X-Men 4 to most people especially general audience. You can compare it to The Avengers, but First Class was never a separate series like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. Probably it was intended to be a separate series but First Class is now a prequel to most people. Even if they make another First Class movie in the future, it will still appear as a prequel.

Yeah, thats how I see it. When those characters get to a certain age they are supposed to be Ian Mckellen, Kelsey Grammer and Patrick Stewart regardless.

The only reason for the general audience to not see DOFP as X-Men 4, is if FOX releases another X-Men movie with the title of "X-Men 4". But I doubt thats going to happen. Numbering in the title of the film stopped with X2: X-Men United.

Thou shall count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shall count and the number of the counting shall be three. Four thou shall not count, nor thou shall not count two, excepting thou shall then proceed to three. Five is right out.

I think that pretty well settles it.

Thou shall count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shall count and the number of the counting shall be three. Four thou shall not count, nor thou shall not count two, excepting thou shall then proceed to three. Five is right out.

I think that pretty well settles it.

Works for me.

X-Men might have "won" 4 years ago with the 4th film in their series.

but Marvel won when The Avengers came out as the 6th film in their series. And they're about to solidify their victory with the 7th film.

Because this film is set after X-Men 3 and 10 years after First Class, thats why its a sequel to both of those films. Wolverine is set after X3 but its a spin-off movie and the movie isn't about the X-Men.

If DOFP is just a stand alone sequel or movie, they could have just set this between X2 and X3, like Star Wars: the Clone Wars. Or they could have just included Cyclops and Jean Grey. But they obviously didn't go in that direction.
It wouldn't make sense to set it between those two, that's limiting what they can do going forward. And what you're talking about is just plain ignoring continuity, that isn't what a standalone sequel is.

From everything Singer has said, he's basically stated himself that it's a standalone sequel. It takes place after both films timeline wise, yes, but as far as we know it's not picking up any particular plotlines from either film and is just going to tell its own story set after those two films. That's exactly what The Wolveine does in relation to X-Men Origins and X3. We know Singer said he'll "fix some stuff", but that's it.

XM: DOFP will involve early days team and modern day team, if you care to go by fourth in sequence to come starting with 1, in a way it counts

XM: DOFP will involve early days team and modern day team, if you care to go by fourth in sequence to come starting with 1, in a way it counts

Yeah and you just have to see it in a chronological order.
X1. X-Men (the original cast movie #1)
X2. X2: X-Men United (the original cast movie #2)
X3. X-Men: The Last Stand (the original cast movie #3)
X4. X-Men: Days of Future Past (the original cast movie #4)

Then there's the prequels/spin-offs which didn't feature the majority of the original cast. The general audience didn't see them as X-Men 4.

And since the modern day X-Men will likely go to the past and the movie might end in an altered future with the modern day X-Men. The movie is gonna look like its X-Men 4 more than First Class 2. Anyway, we can only confirm when we saw the movie.

And maybe Bryan Singer said that DOFP is a stand-alone sequel but it doesn't mean it can't be X-Men 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"