The Adventures of Scott Pilgrim

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm guessing that I'm probably the only person on this board who knows what the heck Scott Pilgrim is, so I'll try to convince you why you should care. First and foremost, it's a really good comic. Second, the guys who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz optioned the movie rights, and I can only jump up and down with excitement when I imagine how they might go about adapting it to the silver screen.

Basically, for those who don't know what it is, Scott Pilgrim is a comicbook that draws inspiration from indie music and lots of videogames. The un-conventional art style was inspired largely by the NES classic "River City Ransom," and the basic premise itself is a parody of oldschool videogames. Scott Pilgrim is a 23 year old Canadian living in Toronto, who plays bass for an indie rock band called "Sex Bob-omb." He falls in love with the beautiful Ramona Flowers, but soon learns that if he wants to be her boyfriend, he will have to defeat all seven of her evil exes. What follows involves lots of fighting, male/female relationship drama, indie rock, and plenty of videogame-reference jokes.

I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and I also love this comic. Needless to say, I'm dying to see what the "Shaun" guys do with it. I'm guessing that it will be PG-13 since I'd have a hard time imagining them turning Scott Pilgrim into something R-Rated, and I don't think that Simon Pegg or Nick Frost would be in the main cast, since the characters are pretty much all adolescents. However, I think they'd be perfect for a cameo as the Vegan Police! Also, I demand that Rajiv Surendra from "Mean Girls" plays Matthew Patel, aka Evil ex-boyfriend #1! Seriously, that guy is the physical embodiment of the character, I think he was born to play him.

I think Scott Pilgrim, if and when it gets made, could potentially be the first good movie that's technically based on video games. :D

Scott Pilgrim. I saw that during free comic book day last year but I skipped over it. Now I wish I picked it up after reading more about it on wikipedia months ago. Really wish my comic shop sold the comics. That and if theres a movie and White is directing im there. Shaun of the dead is awesome.

My brother wasn't able to find it in comic stores either, so he ended up buying his off of the internet. It's definitely worth looking up, especially if you like oldschool video games and/or have a liking to indie rock.

Is they might be giants indie? Oh and I don't buy comics off the internet. I would but im not allowed to, so I might just have to wat for the next local con. Maybe this year i'll get lucky.

I'm not an expert, but some people would certainly argue that they are, and I don't consider myself a real snob so I don't mind if people call them indie. :p

And good luck at your next con. It's a real gem of a comic if you can track it down.

I dunno, he seems kinda wrong for it. Plus he's been stuck playing George-Michael-esque characters, which there's nothing wrong with that, but it's a totally different from Scott Pilgrim (but kinda fits for Young Neil). But I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt, since it's not strange for actors to play against type.

Also, I hope it doesn't be just one movie. It doesn't have to be a Harry Potter movie per volume thing, but if they just make one they'd have to cut a lot of great stuff (I'm sure Knives it's going to be the first one to go).

To start, I'd be extremely disappointed if they dropped Knives from the movie.

Secondly, I LOVE Scott Pilgrim! My friend got me into it not too long ago. Flew through all 4 volumes in about a week (now I have to wait probably a year for 5). Actually I made a thread about it in the Misc Comics forum a little while ago.

As for the movie, It could turn out great, at the same time it could be done horribly. If it does happen I'll be nervous about it untill I finally see a pic/trailer.

I think if anyone can capture the quirky, odd tone of the comic its Edgar Wright. His movies already have a lot of the same sort of video game nods and touches that are in Scott Pilgrim.

The thing is unlike most video game based action movies, Edgar Wright does a good job of it.

Hopefully it stays strictly Canadian as well and they don't try to Americanize it.

Buuuump.

I just picked up Vol 1 and Vol 2 and I've read VOL 1 so far and it's pretty good. Very funny and I can picture Michael Cera playing Scott, hopefully they keep it Canadian as TVO said, cause I'm Canadian. :o

I mean I feel that Scott Pilgrim is one of Canada's true comics and comic heroes. It would be a serious slap in the face to Americanize it.

Michael Cera is Canadian so hopefully he'll stay clear of Americanizing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"