Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright Newest Film "The World's End"

Finally saw this. Best movie of the summer for me. Loved all the character stuff and the action was great. Nice to see action without shaky cam. The ending took the film to another level for me. Loved it. Edgar Wright is 4 for 4 with me and probably my current favorite filmmaker.

I saw it tonight. I thought it was pretty good, but Hot Fuzz is still my favorite out of the Cornetto trilogy. Pegg and Frost were brilliant as usual. I think one of the funniest parts for me besides them meeting the Network was Nick Frost drunkenly breaking the glass on the door of the pub on his way out and acting as if nothing happened.

That was my standout moment too. It was a small throw-away thing, but it was the funniest moment in the whole movie. :up:

I've drunk a few beers in The World's End Pub in Camden myself over the years. The pub is where Pegg and Frost used to drink and what inspired the title of the movie

I liked The World's End. This is better than Hot Fuzz for me.

Great cameo's from Edgar's usual gang. Great to see Paddy with a bigger role in this one.

Snow White And The Huntsman Dwarf reunion with Nick Frost and Eddie Marsan.

The Garden City layout really suited the film.

Loved the cameo of
Pierce Brosnan.

Seeing Nick Frost dropping elbows and Bane backbreakers was worth the price of admission alone.
I think one of the funniest parts for me besides them meeting the Network was Nick Frost drunkenly breaking the glass on the door of the pub on his way out and acting as if nothing happened.

That and the Legoland line made me laugh the most.

I liked the "let's boo boo" line as well

Last edited:
Holy **** this movie was amazing.

Just watched this for the first time. I'm a massive MASSIVE fan of the first two films and I also really enjoyed the World's End. I had a big happy grin on my face from second one. You could tell the cast had a blast and the film had a great pace. All the comedic points hit for me.

The action scenes were also out of this world for a pub brawl :D. The choreography was amazing, I was already looking forward to Ant Man but its gone up a little more in expectation now.

Also loved all the call backs/cameos to the first two films. As well as the sudden shift in tone at the halfway point, much like Shaun it seems all normal then BAM just something comes out of nowhere and the film does a 180.

The only thing I was initially iffy on was the end as I'd heard it was very bizarre and initially for me it was such a random thing that I didn't follow some of it.

It's humor and use of genre is different from the other two films, though I don't think it is to the film's detriment, though it it is different from what I expected.

Faraci actually has an interesting take on the film's themes and its ending that for once is actually based on what is to be found in the movie (rather than his usual tactic of trying to hang unrelated political baggage around a film's neck). Worth reading.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/25/simon-peggs-captain-kirk-moment-and-the-end-of-the-worlds-end/

Thank you for this article! Like I said I was a bit lost on all of the meaning and this helped me clear up everything.

So yeah a really solid 9/10. The only main issue I'd have is that for an Edgar Wright film it didn't seem as jam packed with foreshadowing and smaller jokes that Fuzz and Shaun did. However it normally takes a few rewatches to catch some, Fuzz in particular is just full of small jokes. I hope the trivia track points a few out on the bluray.

For example Edgar Wright said in an interview that all the pub names have relevance to an event. So far I've figured out -

The First Post - Obvious
The Old Familiar - The pub is the same as the first
The Famous Cock - The Guy sitting at the bar who they all knew?
The Cross Hands - No idea
The Good Companions - No idea
The Trusty Servant - The guy who is human but serving the robots
The Two Headed Dog - The twins
The Mermaid - No idea
The Beehive - No idea
The King's Head - Not 100% sure
The Hole in the Wall - Car crash
The World's End - Obvious

I also don't feel World's End is as quotable. I still quote Shaun and Fuzz a lot but End, while funny, didn't really have any instant classic lines.

Overall I'd order them -

1: Hot Fuzz
2: The World's End
3: Shaun of the Dead

For example Edgar Wright said in an interview that all the pub names have relevance to an event. So far I've figured out -

The First Post - Obvious
The Old Familiar - The pub is the same as the first
The Famous Cock - The Guy sitting at the bar who they all knew?
The Trusty Servant - The guy who is human but serving the robots
The Mermaid - No idea
The Beehive - No idea
The King's Head - Not 100% sure
The sign for the King's Head is actually Simon Pegg, in that bar Simon smashed his head into the pillar to prove that he's human

The Beehive I believe indicates when they stir the bees nest by not accepting to join and they get in that massive fight with the principal.

The weakest of the trilogy due to it's structural issues but still incredibly enjoyable and surprisingly heartfelt; will be a day-one Blu-ray buy for me.

A-

I saw it tonight. I thought it was pretty good, but Hot Fuzz is still my favorite out of the Cornetto trilogy. Pegg and Frost were brilliant as usual. I think one of the funniest parts for me besides them meeting the Network was Nick Frost drunkenly breaking the glass on the door of the pub on his way out and acting as if nothing happened.

Biggest laugh of the movie for me.

It was cool to see Eddie Marsan play a nice guy for a change instead of grumpy criminals, wife beaters and lunatics.

I wondered if the hand trick at the end night of been a little nod to his character Red Parker in Hancock

In The Mermaids bar, half of the group is lured in by the robot women much like in stories of mermaids or Sirens.

I also don't feel World's End is as quotable. I still quote Shaun and Fuzz a lot but End, while funny, didn't really have any instant classic lines.

Is that really the most important metric for determining the quality of the movie?

I loved the dialogue for this movie. Whether it was infinitely quotable or not it was the best dialogue of the year IMO.

Is that really the most important metric for determining the quality of the movie?

No but nor did I intend it to be. You'd have to be an idiot to say "the film wasn't quotable therefore it sucks". All I said was is that unlike the other two which I could quote left, right and center, I didn't find this one as quotable.

The writing was great as was the delivery. It was just something I thought.

The First Post - Obvious
The Old Familiar - The pub is the same as the first Also, Sam shows up and back in 1990 she and Gary got "familiar" with each other in the disableds
The Famous Cock - Gary was recognized which means he's famous. But he's banned from the bar because he was a cock
The Trusty Servant - The Reverend Green (whose face is on the sign) said too much, and was taken over by The Network.
The Mermaid - 'The Marmalade Sandwich' the sign has 2 blonde mermaids with a redhead in the middle
The Beehive - This is where Pierce Brosnan's character explains the goal of the invasion, how they act like bees in a beehive, to make something great (for the greater good?!)
The King's Head - The sign is Pegg's face. And this might not be exactly why it's called The King's Head, but this is when Gary gives up on his friends again, just so that he can finish the Golden Mile. He gives Andy and Steven the keys to the car and runs off to the next bar.

Updated, with some of my thoughts

Last edited:
My only other problem was how they didn't really care that their friends were replaced by robots and killed. I would have liked to have seen some remorse or them bash the great intelligence for it a bit. It just seemed like it was glossed over.

I thought the World's End was pretty quotable. I heard people saying 'let's boo boo' when walking out of the cinema
My only other problem was how they didn't really care that their friends were replaced by robots and killed. I would have liked to have seen some remorse or them bash the great intelligence for it a bit. It just seemed like it was glossed over.

download_1.jpg

This was great for me, right up until the last 10 minutes!

7/10

Hot Fuzz was easily the best one in the trilogy for me.

The First Post - Obvious
The Old Familiar - The pub is the same as the first Also, Sam shows up and back in 1990 she and Gary got "familiar" with each other in the disableds
The Famous Cock - Gary was recognized which means he's famous. But he's banned from the bar because he was a cock
The Trusty Servant - The Reverend Green (whose face is on the sign) said too much, and was taken over by The Network.
The Mermaid - 'The Marmalade Sandwich' the sign has 2 blonde mermaids with a redhead in the middle
The Beehive - This is where Pierce Brosnan's character explains the goal of the invasion, how they act like bees in a beehive, to make something great (for the greater good?!)
The King's Head - The sign is Pegg's face. And this might not be exactly why it's called The King's Head, but this is when Gary gives up on his friends again, just so that he can finish the Golden Mile. He gives Andy and Steven the keys to the car and runs off to the next bar.

Updated, with some of my thoughts

The Cross Hands is where they fight the robots the first time so I assume it's in reference to that.

Edited to add this site has some good explanations for the name, similar to yours

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/07/special-features-what-do-pubs-in-world.html?m=1

Last edited:
The ending was perfect. I don't get the issue. It was wholly appropriate.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost cover Daft Punk's Get Lucky :funny:
[YT]3ozXJZEqmtc[/YT]

Wtf? and Gay King were my favorite funny moments.

No but nor did I intend it to be. You'd have to be an idiot to say "the film wasn't quotable therefore it sucks". All I said was is that unlike the other two which I could quote left, right and center, I didn't find this one as quotable.

The writing was great as was the delivery. It was just something I thought.

Sorry, its just a comment that I've seen thrown at the film in exactly that light.

Actually I did like the payoff the WTF joke got with Gary in the toilet shouting "WHAT THE **** does WTF mean!?"

Ask any fanboys on this site what the most important criteria for determining a good soundtrack and they'll almost unequivocally tell you that it must be "hummable" (eg. Willaims Superman and Elfman's Batman theme).

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the critical analysis of a film done by fanboys.

No, which is funny because It's as quotable as the others imo.

Yes it is. If not more so.

Yeah, that bothered me too and given that World's End is less of a "parody" and more of a straight up genre pic, it's harder to forgive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"