The Agent: Official Thread

That would be awesome. This game has been my Last Guardian.. A game I knew was probably there but doubtful I'd ever see.

I was expecting this to be bumped up when e3 was actually happening . man they sure have been quite . in most other case's when some has be quite this long it's e3ther been cancelled or become something else entirely. it would be cool if it showed up this e3. I was gonna put up if it actually showed.

I'm also hoping for news on the tell tale marvel game.

The game was pretty much dead when nothing new came out in the early days of the ps4. I think it was supposed to be a ps3 eXclusive.

I don't feel like anything about the cancellation as, it sounded like another open world crime game from Take Two; like Grand Theft Auto, L.A. Noire and Mafia.

UPDATE!

New details on Rockstar Games’ Agent and Zombie cancelled games

The Agent we never got

A stronger feeling of change was felt once GTA San Andreas had been finished. Developers at Rockstar North used San Andreas to test spy gameplay inside of the game such as a car transforming into a submarine plus a hang glider. Leslie Benzies “was keen to do something along those lines” in terms of a spy. These developments are said to have impressed both Rockstar San Diego and New York. A James Bond-like game was already being worked on at Rockstar San Diego at this time.

Vermeij says that the Rockstar North team was divided into two. GTA IV was of course next up so one half started on that blockbuster whereas the remaining half began on Agent. Its codename was Jimmy. Why was this? Jimmy was the Scottish version of James Bond. Simple enough! Fun fact, Jimmy as a name is still used by Rockstar for map loading and a AES key identifier.

We’ve known for some time now that Agent was set in the past, around the 70s and Obbe Vermeij says as much.

The game would also function differently to the previous GTA titles in terms of the game world. It would not be a grand open world game but feature a few distinct places in a linear fashion. In terms of locales, we would have visited Cario, a Swiss ski resort, one French Mediterranean city and a space shootout with lasers. Quite the turn of events!

Vermeij shared a section he worked on involved the ski resort where it would be a downhill chase shootout. Below is concept art likely from the Swiss ski location.

agent_august_2017_concept_leak_1.jpg

Washington D.C. was another location some developers mentioned in a report that we covered back in 2019 here. When scouting Cario, police detained some Rockstar Games developers.

Classic James Bond. The vibe was very cool.

Obbe Vermeij
Many Rockstar Games fans had hoped for Agent but it was not to be despite work had been underway for over 1 year. Apparently progression wasn’t far along enough and GTA IV became all hands on deck.

There were attempts to get it out of the door before Rockstar New York, who call the shots, issued a call to work on GTA 4. Obbe, recalls with a hazy memory, the entire Cario level was cut and even the space station section. The devs got moved onto GTA IV and Agent was a distraction so the left it. As reported in 2019, the game was moved to Rockstar Leeds but again it was shelved.

Despite being cancelled, the game remained on Rockstar Games’ website for quite some time. The Agent trademark was ultimately abandoned in 2018 though.

Obbe Vermeij’s blog is rich in new inside information; it is a treat and worth a read.

To keep up to date with every Rockstar Games news update, make sure to check back to RockstarINTEL and sign up to our newsletter for a weekly round-up of all things Rockstar Games.

It sounds cool. Maybe 1 day they could revisit the concept later on, with a different title.

I don't think I've played any spy game that is very cinematic and story driven. The recent Hitman games look good, i like the sense of freedom gameplay wise, but the cutscenes of Hitman II wasn't really cinematic and the story of those games aren't really on par with the story driven games I've played in the ps4.

It sounds cool. Maybe 1 day they could revisit the concept later on, with a different title.

I don't think I've played any spy game that is very cinematic and story driven. The recent Hitman games look good, i like the sense of freedom gameplay wise, but the cutscenes of Hitman II wasn't really cinematic and the story of those games aren't really on par with the story driven games I've played in the ps4.
LOL...Metal Gear Solid is. The subtitle to every game is literally Tactical Espionage Action/Operation and they've all been very cinematic and story driven

Hmm I don't really see that as "Spy" after playing MSGV. When I meant Spy ala James Bond feel and those other Hollywood Spy movies. MSGV felt like more military soldier game to me.

well there are different type of spies and MGSV was just one of many games in the series and quite different from the earlier ones. Past games dealt with stealth, sneaking into a facility, getting intel, using gadgets, etc.. like a typial spy thriller

I don't personally see it as a Spy game. A stealth game, yes. A spy game, not really. I didn't feel James Bond/being a spy when I played Metal solid Gear V. I got that with the Hitman (2016/18) games, but cutscenes weren't cinematic.

Is MGSV the only game you've playued in the series bc you keep going back to that. Most of the games in the series are not like that as it went in a different direction in terms of how it was approached. James Bond also isnt the only type of spy out there. You are being short sighted with that an only focusing on the Hollywood version of what that movie series did but its more expansive than that and Snake himself is like a James bond/Rambo/Plisken hybrid in many ways. The entire series is build on espionage, double agents (heck triple agents too) and infiltrating and uncovering secrets

Is it the only game I've played from the series. Two if we count Ground Zeroes. But then Ive seen the other four games, it doesn't feel/look like a Spy game. Its giving military game to me with emphasis on stealth.

And you don't need to keep proving that its a Spy game because its not going to change my mind. When I think of Spies, i think of James Bond and Hitman, not Metal Gear Solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"