The All Encompassing Zorro thread

Go VAMPIRE HUNTER D with it?

[YT]aXoYztY3Qrg[/YT]

Either that, or something like the post apocalyptic world in Stephen King's Gunslinger book.

And thanks for posting that vid. I've never heard of Vampire Hunter D, but now that I've googled it and found out about it I'm gonna check out the books and anime.

Either that, or something like the post apocalyptic world in Stephen King's Gunslinger book.

And thanks for posting that vid. I've never heard of Vampire Hunter D, but now that I've googled it and found out about it I'm gonna check out the books and anime.

No problemo Marv. :cwink:

More Details On The “Zorro” Reboot
By Garth Franklin
Saturday, March 3rd 2018 2:04 pm

After seemingly stalling in development hell, Jonas Cuaron’s proposed near future-set reboot of the “Zorro” franchise suddenly came back to life a few weeks ago with the casting of “Dope” actress Kiersey Clemons in a key role.
At the same time reports indicated the project, titled “Z,” is slated to begin production in June. Clemons is slated to join Gael Garcia Bernal who has been attached to play the title character since May 2016.
Today, That Hashtag Show reports that Pantelion has been selling the international rights at the European Film Market and new details about the project have arrived. According to them, Clemons’ character will be the female lead named ‘Zee’ and is described as a teenager of Haitian descent. It’s a major lead role too as she is said to only have a few less scenes than Bernal in total.
The character calls herself Zee in honor of the iconic hero Zorro she grew up idolizing. It’s not confirmed if Bernal is actually Zorro or not in the project, but his character is reportedly named Emiliano Garza and is an adventurer who serves as a mentor to Zee and passes on the ways of the swashbuckler to the next generation. Both team up to take down a corrupt corporation known as M-Corp.
Cuaron is directing from a script that he co-wrote with Glenn Gers, based on a story by Ozzy Inguanzo based on the character created by Johnston McCulley.

June, great. Cant wait for some set pics. Hopefully the costume looks good.

Gawd.. Can holy weird not leave ANYTHING alone?? Must they 'reboot' every damn franchize out there??
Do you complain in all the Batman, Spider-Man, Superman threads too, or just here?
Zorro has been getting revisited since 1920, followed by Legacy Zorro his son in 1925, legacy Zorro both male and female in the Republic serials in the 1930 -40s. the Disney version in the 50s, to the 90s version, if it's popular why not make more. It's kind of weird to be outraged about it now, it's a great franchise and character. Having many incarnations is pretty normal for the character. Giving new generations their version and time to experience the character.
The last one was over 13 years ago, it's not like they jumped the gun on this.
And it's not even really a reboot, since it's a future legacy character that acknowledges there was past Zorros.

They apparently can't be any more creative with titles, either. Z? Get real, people.

"Z" is actually a great title, it's the mark he leaves, carved into someones face, across their clothes, on a wall or scorched on a mountain side, illuminating the sky, it's what most recognize him by. Cuts to the source , literally.
And is an iconic symbol that anyone can pick up in the future, and still be recognizable, which is likely the point.

I really hope it won't be set in the future. That would be stupid. How wants to see a Zorro movie like that?
There is two Zorro films tentatively in production, one is set in a sort of dystopian future. Zorro has been a legacy character since 1925, there was a modern Zorro before Batman existed, and there has been future Zorros it's a part of the character.

It's not my preferred approach to the character, but I acknowledge it's a part of the character, I am curious to see what they come up with.
And will give the first trailer a chance.

Last edited:
KierseyClemons will star in Jonás Cuarón's 'Zorro' movie http://bit.ly/2sKF6wC

Kiersey Clemons will star in Jonás Cuarón’s “Zorro” film “Z” opposite Gael Garcia Bernal. The film will be written and directed by Cuarón and financed by Lantica Media.
Set in the near future, “Z” reimagines the classic legend based on the beloved masked swashbuckler. The movie is a co-production between Lantica Pictures and Mark Amin’s Sobini Films.
Sobini Films and Lantica Media are producing. Anne-Marie Ross of Pantelion International has launched sales in Berlin and UTA Independent Film Group represents U.S. rights.
Clemons was most recently seen in the Sundance pic “Hearts Beat Loud,” which sold to Sony Pictures Classics following its festival debut. She will also appear in the Jason Blum movie “Sweetheart,” bowing this year, and is still attached to play Iris West in “The Flash” at Warner Bros.
Clemons can be seen next in the TBS comedy “Angie Tribeca” and in the indie “An L.A. Minute.”

Great to see this is still in production!

db20517203c39f343867a1ccfe414995--graduation-hair-sweet-girls.jpg

Lovely cast choice, can't wait to see her paired with Gael Garcia Bernal.

Last edited:
No one is forcing you to see anything. You don't have to support these reboots with your dollars. But then... This is the hypocrisy of people online in general on this subject.

"Why so many reboots?" (Person spends months in threads dedicated to new version of classic franchise.)

... This would be the reasons why some of us are getting sick about the complaints for reboots after reboots.
Well said.
Not to mention this isn't even entirely a reboot, as by it's very nature it acknowledges previous Zorro.

I actually think it would be interesting if this version is actually low tech as can be in comparison to the time frame it's set in. Would be an interesting juxtaposition. Plus, who knows, maybe being "off the grid" gives the protagonist an edge in some way?

This, if it is a post-apocalypse type setting, it throws everyone back into the past, into an old west type setting , with hints of technology surviving.
Actually a great place for a new Zorro to emerge.

The thing is - having Zorro be set in the future actually makes more sense than it would with other characters. I don't know why, but it just fits.
It fits great, Zorro has been a legacy character passing down the mantle almost from the start, before the Phantom, and his descendant was a modern legacy hero set in the 30s driving a black sedan, swinging from city rooftops, and fighting mobsters with tommy-guns, before Batman even existed.

While people always make the obvious comparisons to Batman I've always liked it when Zorro is as simple as possible in his accoutrements. The Mask, the blade, the whip, the cape, and of course leaving the mark of the Z. It's such a compact character. I think it would be interesting to see that just in the future and how he would operate and be received in a cyber-punk or dystopian future.
I think that setting would in fact force him and others to go back to the more simple. Where a sword wielder would emerge as a champion of the oppressed.

Last edited:
I'd watch Zorro shooting a Z into a wall using a flintlock.
That'd take like half an hour.
LOL!

22xidr.gif

Actually if it's three shots at an angle, he can pull it off pretty quick!
Dude doesn't miss.

22xxhf.gif

And if he's got dual pistols, it's only one re-lode.
He could also just load multiple guns and use each one after each shot.
Which he's done.

And he can pull of the same with a bow and arrow.
263405.gif

So yeah archaic weapons is pretty much his thing.

But yeah modern Zorros have switched the flint-lock and black powder, for six-shooters, and revolvers.
There is no reason a future Zorro wouldn't use what was available.
That said, in a post-apocalyptic future, things might be scarce, bullets, laser-energy, etc. so it could be rare to use a gun.
So yeah him using the sword would be the way to go!

Last edited:

You post that like it's a joke, but more modern Zorro does not shy away from using modern weapons, and that includes big-ass guns.
And this is a story worked on by McCulley

26358q.gif

Allot of modern fans have somehow convinced themselves Zorro is not a gun guy, they are dead wrong.

Although it's not his weapon of choice, he is proficient with it, mostly he will use it to force a sword duel.

2635n4.gif

Last edited:
Will he have a horse or motorbike? That's the question.
It has to be a motorbike.
I agree if Zorro was set in this modern setting a motorbike would be the right answer.
A mechanical motor horse.
LOL! That's not even something new,,,,
t1r1Ih7.jpg

63478640.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Ehh, not so sure about this.

It sort of makes sense, get all Batman Beyond with it for something a little different, I just for whatever reason can't get into it conceptually. But I think that's less to do with it being a problem to set Zorro specifically in a new setting, and more just like "there are plenty of futuristic/dystopian/cyberpunk movies out there, and we don't often get cool Mexican-American 1840s/50s movies".

Zorro has a bit of a different flavor to your usual western, so it'd be cool to get more of that stuff. Futuristic's just...sure, Zorro can be futuristic, I guess? But what's even the point?

There will be other Zorros set in the more classic time period.
In fact SONY as far as I know, still has the rights to the Allende Novel, which for the first time tells the full origin of Zorro.
That could still be in production.

And before anyone yell another reboot! No it would be analogues to the Anthony Hopkins character. It would pretty much read as his past.

Sounds like a futuristic update like what they did win the nineties with the Phantom animated series.
90's Phantom and....
CwV-vQ7WgAAMLDR.jpg

Yeah other franchises have gone there.
Still Zorro was a Legacy, passing the mantle character, before all of them.

There was also a female Zorro before a Batgirl, Supergirl, Spider-Woman, before the female Phantom, yet, people would totally role with those if done on film, they'd probably celebrate them, yet would complain if Zorro did it today.

Last edited:
More Details On The “Zorro” Reboot
By Garth Franklin
Saturday, March 3rd 2018 2:04 pm

After seemingly stalling in development hell, Jonas Cuaron’s proposed near future-set reboot of the “Zorro” franchise suddenly came back to life a few weeks ago with the casting of “Dope” actress Kiersey Clemons in a key role.
At the same time reports indicated the project, titled “Z,” is slated to begin production in June. Clemons is slated to join Gael Garcia Bernal who has been attached to play the title character since May 2016.
Today, That Hashtag Show reports that Pantelion has been selling the international rights at the European Film Market and new details about the project have arrived. According to them, Clemons’ character will be the female lead named ‘Zee’ and is described as a teenager of Haitian descent. It’s a major lead role too as she is said to only have a few less scenes than Bernal in total.
The character calls herself Zee in honor of the iconic hero Zorro she grew up idolizing. It’s not confirmed if Bernal is actually Zorro or not in the project, but his character is reportedly named Emiliano Garza and is an adventurer who serves as a mentor to Zee and passes on the ways of the swashbuckler to the next generation. Both team up to take down a corrupt corporation known as M-Corp.
Cuaron is directing from a script that he co-wrote with Glenn Gers, based on a story by Ozzy Inguanzo based on the character created by Johnston McCulley.

Sounds pretty corny but I'm up for it.

Actually sounds allot like Zorro's black whip, which had a female Zorro take up the mantle.

I’d say so. These kind of movies don’t exist anymore unless they take a gritty look to it like Robin Hood is doing to appeal to the kids. A movie like this made just for adults won’t get the budget and the returns won’t justify the cost.

Is it safe to assume that this project is dead?

The last report on it was seven months ago and talked about casting... Why assume it's dead, unless I missed a definitive report from the trades or something?

Because we haven’t got news in 7 months maybe? *shrugs*

Some films aren't talked about for years, and still end up getting made. This could have fallen apart but it just as easily could be deeper in the planning stages than we know.

True. The Meg was in development hell for over. 20 years.

Some films aren't talked about for years, and still end up getting made. This could have fallen apart but it just as easily could be deeper in the planning stages than we know.
I think you have misunderstood me. I WANT this movie to be made.

upload_2018-10-29_21-2-55.png

upload_2018-10-29_21-3-23.png

upload_2018-10-29_21-3-46.png

upload_2018-10-29_21-4-6.png

Folks at the Chillicothe Historical Society in Chillcothe Illinois, are keeping the memory of pulp fiction author Johnston McCulley and his signature character,... Zorro, alive with an exhibit in their museum devoted to their most famous citizen. The famous author, McCulley was raised by his grandparents in Chilcothe, Illinois, then worked as a newspaper reporter in Peoria.
The Chillicothe Historical Society's display features tons of pulp magazines and hardcover books, and movie posters, all written by or inspired by McCulley's work. The Johnston McCulley portrait was painted by Pete Poplaski, pulp fan and McCulley-collector supreme.

I've been thinking about this lately, and I have to say that my favorite ZORRO movie is Alain Delon's 1975 ZORRO.
upload_2018-12-19_22-51-15.png

I first saw it when it aired on evening American network TV as a Friday or Saturday night movie of the week. I know I fell in love with it at that time. Many years later I found it on VHS tape....but it seemed that there was parts missing. I bought several copies from different companies over the years and they were all the version that seemed to have parts missing. Then it started appearing on DVD....and it was the same as the tapes. I did not get a personal computer until 2002....and that's when I found IMDB. That's when I discovered that the original theatrical release was about 30 minutes longer than any version released in the United States (except for the network showing). So far I can't find a DVD of the full 2 hour version. I haven't checked recently, but a year or so ago there was a grainy copy of the 2 hour version on youtube....but I want a clean full DVD.

Love that poster up above too.

Alain Delon and Stanley Baker.
upload_2018-12-19_23-6-35.png

Delon and Moustache as Sgt. Garcia.
upload_2018-12-19_23-8-49.png

upload_2018-12-19_23-9-21.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members