• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS THIS THIS. I'm sick of Beenox. I know that they have a good intentions but this sequel does not look great at all. The scale of the city also doesn't help Spiderman either. Where are the really high buildings??????

The game just feels... lazy. The UI, the Spider-man animations that make him look like he's on crack. If you compare the polish from say, Shattered Dimensions to this, it looks like two completely different studios.

And, if you listen, you'll hear all the beeps and buzzers when the player tries to swing, but can't because there aren't any nearby buildings.

Suckerpunch would absolutely kill this game, surely there's a market for it to? People would eat up the perfect spiderman game.

-Good swinging, momentum, complete control. Consequences for failing.
-Manual webbing system handled the way lightning is in inFamous
-Upgrades aren't superfluous.
-Huge, detailed open world NYC with explorable areas like the bridge, sewers, clocktower, ravencroft and Oscorp.
- Big cast of villians and Spiderman suits
-Collectables
-Graphics that are on par with other games released this year.

Am I missing anything?

Here we go again, loading screens for side missions. The fire rescue mission is underwhelming, expected more. There are citizens on the roof of a buring building instead of having an interior location (like the SM3 story mission). The fire rescue mission is started by web-rushing ontop of a fire truck and then it loads. I thought they wanted to get rid of loading screens for side missions?

Suckerpunch would absolutely kill this game, surely there's a market for it to? People would eat up the perfect spiderman game.

-Huge, detailed open world NYC with explorable areas like the bridge, sewers, clocktower, ravencroft and Oscorp.
-Collectables

Am I missing anything?

Agreed. It's time to pass the torch. Whatever passion Beenox had for making a decent Spider-Man game is long gone

Desirable Chris is going to be very desirable... By the government.

Desirable Chris is going to be very desirable... By the government.

What... ?

The flood gates are open, a lot of people start uploading gameplay videos now on YT.

Watching the 4th and 5th walkthrough part vids: I hate the game for going into indoor levels. Brings back the boring TASM1 level memories.

Indoor levels aren't the problem for me. It's the fact that it doesn't really add anything new....

Meh. Maybe it's the fact the guy playing has no idea how to swing properly, or maybe it's because he's playing on last-gen, but i have to say i'm disappointed. But not surprised, since we've barely heard anything about this game for weeks. Here's to ASM3!

Probably both.

The guy is terrible at the game, but it does indeed look pretty bad on the 360.

Indoor levels aren't the problem for me. It's the fact that it doesn't really add anything new....

I see plenty new stuff:
- More refined city (more detail)
- Web-swinging is improved (and looks like fun)
- Dialogue feature
- More refined combat
- Better side missions (the car chase mission looks fun) & endless mode for crimes

It's the game TASM1 should've been in the first place.

You guys need to stop having such high expectations. They will never be met by any developer out there. I'll go ahead and crush your dreams by saying that you will never get the Spider-Man game you deserve, not even from Rocksteady or Sucker Punch (especially not from Sucker Punch, the Sony first party studio that will never get the license for Spider-Man, not in this or any alternate reality).

The reason Batman games are critical success: Batman works perfectly well in a video game environment and Rocksteady nailed it pretty much with their first try. Spider-Man doesn't work, or atleast not with a development time of 2-3 years. To have the ultimate Spider-Man game you'd need a city as alive as the ones found in e.g. GTA V because that's a huge part of being Spider-Man. You'd have to be able to be Peter Parker at any time, because that's another big part of being Spider-Man. You'd require proper physical calculations for all kinds of webbing which no dev seems to bother putting any effort in (means we have to enjoy the TASM1 webbing with cheap anchor points). You'd be forced to have more web-rush style mechanics that play the game for you because there's no way you can meet the acrobatic freedom Spider-Man has with a simple console controller or without being a pain in the ass to control. Otherwise you'd spend half of the game in slow-motion trying to keep up with controller inputs.

Indoor levels are the worst...

The game just feels... lazy. The UI, the Spider-man animations that make him look like he's on crack. If you compare the polish from say, Shattered Dimensions to this, it looks like two completely different studios.

It's so annoying. They took out what I actually liked in Shattered Dimensions.
The lack of combat options is apparent. I saw the same moves over and over again a number of times in the combat. They called themselves copying the Arkham system but at least with that he has different options to open up the gameplay more. And it seems like building the combo meter really doesn't do much of anything because it doesn't build to anything spectacular. I think the previous battle systems from the other games were much better than this tired wannabe free flow system. It was ok for the first game but this game doesn't seem like it added anything new to it.

-Collectables

Am I missing anything?

They would probably have new web upgrades like web blast,web rodeo,web yank etc as well. And they would probably allow us to actually aim and fire to. I also think most of the locomotion would be manual and not web rush over and over. I think the city would be top notch and my actions would actually feel like they MEAN something. It saddens me that after 3 games Beenox has failed to capture what it truly means to play as Spiderman.

Here we go again, loading screens for side missions. The fire rescue mission is underwhelming, expected more. There are citizens on the roof of a buring building instead of having an interior location (like the SM3 story mission). The fire rescue mission is started by web-rushing ontop of a fire truck and then it loads. I thought they wanted to get rid of loading screens for side missions?

.....Yeah it doesn't look like it does it? LOL

Agreed. It's time to pass the torch. Whatever passion Beenox had for making a decent Spider-Man game is long gone

This. As much as I like their energy I feel like they don't have the resources to make the game we all deserve. They will probably be back from the third game and that is not a good thing especially since they will probably not add anything worthwhile other than new costumes.

I see plenty new stuff:

- More refined city (more detail) Really?

It looks the same and the swing system doesn't actually look like it works since the layout of the buildings don't look like it fits. It's like they might need to make Spiderman a little smaller while swinging to make it better. There also isn't a level indicator to show how high you are. It's like there's no sense of depth and the fact that we cannot die from being to high also doesn't help.

- Web-swinging is improved (and looks like fun)

I don't see the fun tbh. We still can't do loops,your unable to climb the web,you can't double jump in between swings,you can't do any tricks whatsoever to mix it up,no speed blur(like SM2),no real upgrades to the speed and tbh it doesn't really matter because the swing system is so bland that going around the city takes no real skill, and the fact that there's no bottom of the swing mechanic makes the momentum was once again seem automated.

- Dialogue feature

Doesn't really do anything for me really. They said the choices don't really change the story.

- More refined combat

I saw the same moves over and over again and most of them are from the first game. The best addition for me was the targeting enemies.

- Better side missions (the car chase mission looks fun) & endless mode for crimes

If the gameplay isn't fun what's the point? Or let me put it this way. If there's no real room for growth from when you started the first game then what's the point of endless crime? Imo Spiderman should be evolving and learning new tricks.

It's the game TASM1 should've been in the first place.

You guys need to stop having such high expectations. They will never be met by any developer out there. I'll go ahead and crush your dreams by saying that you will never get the Spider-Man game you deserve, not even from Rocksteady or Sucker Punch (especially not from Sucker Punch, the Sony first party studio that will never get the license for Spider-Man, not in this or any alternate reality).

The reason Batman games are critical success: Batman works perfectly well in a video game environment and Rocksteady nailed it pretty much with their first try. Spider-Man doesn't work, or atleast not with a development time of 2-3 years. To have the ultimate Spider-Man game you'd need a city as alive as the ones found in e.g. GTA V because that's a huge part of being Spider-Man. You'd have to be able to be Peter Parker at any time, because that's another big part of being Spider-Man. You'd require proper physical calculations for all kinds of webbing which no dev seems to bother putting any effort in (means we have to enjoy the TASM1 webbing with cheap anchor points). You'd be forced to have more web-rush style mechanics that play the game for you because there's no way you can meet the acrobatic freedom Spider-Man has with a simple console controller or without being a pain in the ass to control. Otherwise you'd spend half of the game in slow-motion trying to keep up with controller inputs.

I completely disagree with you. SM2 proved that a great Spiderman game could be made. So did Ultimate Spiderman and Web of Shadows so I believe you are wrong. This game could have been really really good if they got the scale of the city right and if they added the SM2 swing system verbatim with some new features. They didn't add anything new in this game. I watched those videos like a hawk. There CAN be better current gen Spiderman games but it has come to my attention that Beenox is NOT the developer to deliver it. That doesn't mean someone else can't/

I've done enough complaining
i'm more intrigued with the story
I've seen second son and I thought it was okay I don't want to see suckerpunch have it
if they use certain elements from their infamous games

I've done enough complaining
i'm more intrigued with the story
I've seen second son and I thought it was okay I don't want to see suckerpunch have it
if they use certain elements from their infamous games

There's a difference between complaining and making observations and suggestions.

There's a difference between complaining and making observations and suggestions.
I was talking about myself
i've already stated some of my dislikes and what I thought should be good
for a spidey game I don't need to say anymore

No sense in complaining about it. We won't get another game for another 2 years or so. We can cross our fingers for the next one but if it's Beenox we'll most likely get another sub-par Spider-Man game.

I completely disagree with you. SM2 proved that a great Spiderman game could be made. So did Ultimate Spiderman and Web of Shadows so I believe you are wrong. This game could have been really really good if they got the scale of the city right and if they added the SM2 swing system verbatim with some new features. They didn't add anything new in this game. I watched those videos like a hawk. There CAN be better current gen Spiderman games but it has come to my attention that Beenox is NOT the developer to deliver it. That doesn't mean someone else can't/

Spider-Man 2 is a bad game just like most Spider-Man games. Most people view it through nostalgia goggles. Yes maybe it got the swinging right (even though it looked really plain animation wise and had a lot of physic issues like being able to float in one position or do unrealistic loops in certain places) but that's about it. Story mediocre, city mediocre, combat mediocre and a pain in the ass just like Spider-Man 3 combat. The best city IMO was the one found in Spider-Man 3 but that doesn't make Spider-Man 3 a good game either (it was still better than SM2 IMO, atleast the PS3/360/PC version).

Tastes differ I guess, but IMO the only reason people view Spider-Man 2 as the ultimate Spider-Man game is because it was the first to introduce open world game mechanics to the Spider-Man franchise.

And they did refine the city, I see fewer buildings sharing the same design. There are actual districts you can make out while swinging through the city (a thing that was completely missing in TASM1, the whole city was one glorified district with 3 building types and colours). It's not about size, it's about detail and content. Would you rather have a bigger city with the lack of detail found in TASM1 or a city of the same size with added detail? Can't have both with short dev cycles.

It was also made 10 years ago? Give it some credit for that...?

It was also made 10 years ago? Give it some credit for that...?

It was, credit given. I still remember a lot of reviews bashing it for all kinds of things (clunky gameplay, story not that good etc.). So it wasn't the second coming of christ most people are making it out to be. I booted it up 2 years ago again and I immediately turned it off again because it aged badly and you got to see all of the flaws it has.

Other than Arkham City, Spider-Man 2 was my favourite superhero game.

It's amazing how 10 years on they can't match it.

@ i'm sorry time its not nostalgia goggles for me it's still very fun the fighting to me never got old and it feels good to beat thugs down or pinball off of them or tie them up on a street light or toss them off the highest building I still find it fun, its the same with traveling

@ i'm sorry time its not nostalgia goggles for me it's still very fun the fighting to me never got old and it feels good to beat thugs down or pinball off of them or tie them up on a street light or toss them off the highest building I still find it fun, its the same with traveling

Happy for you then, means you have a Spidey game you can go back to if you don't enjoy the newer ones. There's none for me to go back to though as Spider-Man 3 (my favorite) is broken on PS3 (horrible pop-in, FPS slowdowns etc.). TASM2 on the other hand looks to be my new "go back" title until TASM3 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"