Revenge of the Fallen The Autobot Hangar...

craigdbfan

Avenger
Reaction score
Why are the Autobots corralled like caged animals inside a hangar populated with humans (allowing no room to walk around in robot mode, forcing them in alt mode) where they just remain parked surrounded by stylish spikes...

Although not a major gripe I found it kind of cheap and just another complete slap in the face to the Autobots. Not only were they miserably developed but they are all forced to be parked closely by each other stuck in their alt modes.

That just sounds like lazy writing or the lack thereof.

What do you guys think?

Because it saves ILM money.

Yeah they spent time on better additions like the Twins instead of making a legitimate base for the Autobots.

I know its not ILM decision but there was a lot of CGI waste in this movie that could have gone to better use.

I find it totally believable that the government would want to have as much control as possible over giant aliens. you know like, our planet our rules or take a hike. Good or not the humans have no way of knowing if the autobots could turn on them at any minute. How do you know its not more comfortable for them to be in alt mode? Maybe thats how they rest. Would you just want to stand around the whole time you weren't doing anything? I would suspect that the government would probably even have tracking devices on them

Yeah they spent time on better additions like the Twins instead of making a legitimate base for the Autobots.

I know its not ILM decision but there was a lot of CGI waste in this movie that could have gone to better use.
Or remember that "oops my bad" scene in TF1? Bay could have used his money better in both cases.
I find it totally believable that the government would want to have as much control as possible over giant aliens. you know like, our planet our rules or take a hike. Good or not the humans have no way of knowing if the autobots could turn on them at any minute. How do you know its not more comfortable for them to be in alt mode? Maybe thats how they rest. Would you just want to stand around the whole time you weren't doing anything? I would suspect that the government would probably even have tracking devices on them
And those spikes clearly stopped Prime from going Michael Bay all over that base right?

1. Where does the movie say that's the only place the autobots ever go? The end of TRANSFORMERS shows them hanging out with Sam, and one assumes they get their exercise and entertainment somehow.

2. Where the hell else are they supposed to go? Even soldiers go back to a base much of the time, don't they?

Robots have no rights. They're not even animals. Most of them are basically unclaimed property.

Robots have no rights. They're not even animals. Most of them are basically unclaimed property.
Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the decepticons! If the goverment thinks it can do it by itself, then Optimus Prime will not help. Optimus Prime will sit in the base, in his armchair and smoke his corncob pipe. Who's got no rights now huh?

I feel like in the sequel they should have their own base of operations, it'd be cool to see

1. Where does the movie say that's the only place the autobots ever go? The end of TRANSFORMERS shows them hanging out with Sam, and one assumes they get their exercise and entertainment somehow.

2. Where the hell else are they supposed to go? Even soldiers go back to a base much of the time, don't they?

I'm not questioning the base. I'm questioning the amount of room they have in that particular hangar which seems only designed for alt mode.

You can come up with a reason as to why they are in alt mode (rest, and research stuff) but that doesn't take away that the hangar was a poor excuse for an Autobot base.

Based on everything from ROTF it only indicates thats their only base. Also there's no fun in assuming when it comes to their HQ. It should have been more elaborated, even if it was for a couple of seconds that would have been fine.

Obviously ILM can do it as they showed the Nemesis on one of Jupiter's moon. It didn't even have to be all of them in robot mode, Ironhide and Ratchet would have sufficed. But hey they got to save money for better and more important CGI renders like the Twins and whatnot.

Last edited:
Optimus stood up inside the hanger, so I am guessing there is enough room for all of them to stand up. But when in alt mode I sort of think of it as an expensive car commercial. That and the robots are expensive to render. Grant it there was a misuse of render time spent on things that they didn't need to spend it on, but no one is perfect. With movie's, especially when it comes to sequels it's about hearing the voice of the fans, about more of what they want...even though in the end they tend to ***** about it.

Teletran-1 kicked them out of the Ark for being shallow.

I'm pretty sure the Autobots chill in the hanger but aren't forced to just be there.

I mean, I'd hope so....

Perhaps they were getting some rest to recouperate from the mission? Makes sense to me that they would chill out in their alt mode to conserve power.

I'm not questioning the base. I'm questioning the amount of room they have in that particular hangar which seems only designed for alt mode.

That looked like a pretty sizeable area to me. There were multi-level catwalks and everything.

I don't really have an opinion about the Autobot base, but the statement above is very true.

That looked like a pretty sizeable area to me. There were multi-level catwalks and everything.

Sure. For humans and it was one catwalk. Not multi level, it was just one catwalk in the middle of the hangar surrounded by NEST human base of operation.

Its not like the Autobots could walk on that thing. Its sizable alright for humans, while there is a ton of space in that hangar its relatively empty besides the human equipment.

The Autobot parking space area is just a squared lot surrounded by spikes.

All I'm saying is that it's a pretty weak base for the Autobots to do any work in. They are in alt mode obviously because CGI was used for parts that Bay deemed more important.

Again not a major gripe but it would be nice to see an Autobot work area alongside the humans.

Instead we got the Autobots in altmode where the audience just assumes they are recuperating lost energy and doing some research work as they have access to some military intel, internet, and other communication equipment presumably in alt mode .

Well a huge room with huge computers and a huge laboratory... it all sounds weak. Let the humans do the work while the autobots are free to roam around or access the internet by wireless connection. Also, there could be an autobot that would transform into a big automated laboratory and he could handle the investigations... This is getting CSI....

Sure. For humans and it was one catwalk. Not multi level, it was just one catwalk in the middle of the hangar surrounded by NEST human base of operation.

Its not like the Autobots could walk on that thing. Its sizable alright for humans, while there is a ton of space in that hangar its relatively empty besides the human equipment.

I'm mentioning the catwalk, not to point out that the Autobots could stroll along it for fun, but to point out that this hangar was a large place.

The catwalk was like 20 feet high. Prime stood up, and he and the Department Head were at eye level.

What exactly do you want, giant leather couches and a video game system? These are alien robots, who the hell knows what they do in their spare time?

The Autobot parking space area is just a squared lot surrounded by spikes.

As opposed to...a different kind of parking space area?

All I'm saying is that it's a pretty weak base for the Autobots to do any work in. They are in alt mode obviously because CGI was used for parts that Bay deemed more important.

Maybe they were sleeping or something. What work would they be doing?

Again not a major gripe but it would be nice to see an Autobot work area alongside the humans.

It'd be nice to see a lot of things.

Instead we got the Autobots in altmode where the audience just assumes they are recuperating lost energy and doing some research work as they have access to some military intel, internet, and other communication equipment presumably in alt mode.

I'm pretty sure that was NEST headquarters, period, for the humans and the autobots. Not the Autobut Computer Lab.

I'm mentioning the catwalk, not to point out that the Autobots could stroll along it for fun, but to point out that this hangar was a large place.

Again I'm not questioning the space but the fact that its relatively empty when it comes to a designated area for all the Autobots to work in when they aren't in alt mode.

The catwalk was like 20 feet high. Prime stood up, and he and the Department Head were at eye level.

What exactly do you want, giant leather couches and a video game system? These are alien robots, who the hell knows what they do in their spare time?

And I don't care what they are doing in their free time. I'm only pointing out that its a weak base for the Autobots its simple as that. Its sure nice for the humans and Optimus as that particular Catwalk and space seems deliberately made for Prime.

As opposed to...a different kind of parking space area?

As opposed to an actual facility made for the Autobots so they can freely walk around in robot mode instead of being parked in a squared lot where they have no other option but to stay in Alt mode. These are basically giant metallic men I'm sure they prefer being in their natural mode instead of their respective disguises. As the Fallen proved being in robot mode isn't this farfetched idea but very normal for cybertronians.

But again they are on a foreign planet so maybe staying around in alt mode isn't a big deal for them to keep things less conspicuous and it appears that they can do all their necessary work let it be in robot mode or alt.

Maybe they were sleeping or something. What work would they be doing?

Gee I don't know, trying to find the Decepticons as its not our war but theirs. I would imagine they need as much Autobot help as they can get.

It'd be nice to see a lot of things.

You bet. Especially when so much CGI is wasted on useless characters like the Twins or a rather "meh" pretender.

I'm pretty sure that was NEST headquarters, period, for the humans and the autobots. Not the Autobut Computer Lab.

And where do I deny this?

You obviously missed the part where I said presumably the Autobots are doing work in alt mode. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would prefer to see a quick glimpse of an area designed for the Autobots so they can work in robot mode. Even if its for a couple of seconds.

I didn't really have a problem with it personally. Not really a stretch to think that being in vehicle mode is them resting. The problem of them not doing much other than that can be fixed in TF3 with a bigger budget.

Though I always thought that the Sector 7 base at Hoover Dam would've made for a good headquarters for the Autobots.

Again I'm not questioning the space but the fact that its relatively empty when it comes to a designated area for all the Autobots to work in when they aren't in alt mode.

But again...they're giant alien robots who turn into cars and trucks. You can't just assume that they spend ALL their time there, or that they have the same needs as humans.

And I don't care what they are doing in their free time. I'm only pointing out that its a weak base for the Autobots its simple as that. Its sure nice for the humans and Optimus as that particular Catwalk and space seems deliberately made for Prime.

"Weak" is sort of relative. It seems to serve the same function that The Ark did, except it's not a ship, and it doesn't have weird little "Transmogrier pods" or Teletran 1, which is lame as hell to begin with.

Why isn't the space appropriate for the other autobots?

As opposed to an actual facility made for the Autobots so they can freely walk around in robot mode instead of being parked in a squared lot where they have no other option but to stay in Alt mode.

Why would you assume they just sit there all the time?

These are basically giant metallic men I'm sure they prefer being in their natural mode instead of their respective disguises. As the Fallen proved being in robot mode isn't this farfetched idea but very normal for cybertronians.

But, and here we go again, you're just assuming this. And trying to prove it with something else we saw in the film, which really has nothing to do with another element.

But again they are on a foreign planet so maybe staying around in alt mode isn't a big deal for them to keep things less conspicuous and it appears that they can do all their necessary work let it be in robot mode or alt.

What necessary work? Paperwork from their adventures?

And where do I deny this?

Nowhere. You were making comments about things that are supposed to be assumed based on what we see.

You obviously missed the part where I said presumably the Autobots are doing work in alt mode. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would prefer to see a quick glimpse of an area designed for the Autobots so they can work in robot mode. Even if its for a couple of seconds.

"Presumably" based on what? They're just sitting there. Maybe you came up with something that they could be doing, but the film certainly doesn't suggest it or imply it other than Prime doing his diplomatic work.

Why would you assume they just sit there all the time?

And who's to say they don't sit there all the time since thats all the movie shows when it comes to the Autobots stay in Diego Garcia. Either way its an assumption if you say that they move throughout Diego Garcia as all we saw of the great Autobot hangar was just NEST base of operation with a parking space for the Autobots.

Glad you thought there wasn't a problem with the Autobot hangar. :up:

Anyway hopefully for the next movie we get a more elaborated base for the Autobots is all. This is after all a movie based on the "Transformers". It would be a shame not seeing a legitimate designed base specifically for the Autobots since that was always a prominent setting throughout various series.

Last edited:
The Guard, can you do us a favor and watch an episode of the G1 Transformers. that's what the transformers is suppose to be all about. stop defending this crap film. and as for cgi costs, i doubt Michael Bay wasted all that money on ILM judging from all that military exposure this movie had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"