The Avengers Critics Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by PowerPacked, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I blame TIH entirely on Avi Arad, it was his idea to bring in Leterrier who really had no right directing the film, I mean look at the guys career it's made up of poorly made action films with very little substance. (Dany the Dog being the one exception)

2. The Morningstar Registered

Pretty much. Fact is Louis Letterier is a **** director. Danny the Dog was good, mainly because of Bob Hoskins.

3. The Morningstar Registered

Go watch it again and look at all the computers they are tracking Banner on. Giant SHIELD logo's everywhere.

4. J.Howlett Guest

If Avengers works, I'll invest in the Cinematic Universe and then I'll be able to see for myself. But, only after I've seen Avengers.

Even with that, SHIELD never technically showed up in the film. That was Ross' battalion, not SHIELD.

5. The Morningstar Registered

I'm holding my breath with unparalleled anticipation...

Avengers so far is critically acclaimed, and it'll go on to make near enough a billion dollars, if not crack the billion dollar mark. I don't think Marvel is worried about people who ***** and moan about things they don't really understand.

6. Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

I must've been an idiot to think I could find a thread here I could actually enjoy without the same people injecting their ******** and making things up again. It's like talking to a ******ed brick wall.

7. Alexei Belyakov Registered

Even with word of mouth, when movies like Indy IV & IM are up to $200 Million when your movie is coming out, people are gonna continue to gravitate towards said two. Then when said two are out of the picture & you're up to $100 Million comes TDK. 'nuff said.

Because of the SHIELD meet & greet, the second act went straight to the ninth circle of hell & both villains became nothing more than cardboard (that's what happens when you waste time developing SHIELD instead of Vanko & Hammer).

So then Tom Rothman is responsible for the MCU. He placed a Wolverine cameo in the first Fantastic Four movie that was cut. Let's start praising Rothman for "the brilliance & majesty of the MCU." Oh God.

FACT: Marvel Studios has not been able to make IRON MAN numbers since IRON MAN.

FACT: Marvel Studios has not been able to make a film as critically significant as IRON MAN since IRON MAN.

If you ask me, Feige's done anything but improve the franchise.

Wrong again. Arad conceived the notion of the inter-connected films/universe. He offered Cap & Thor to Favreau first, but Favs wanted Iron Man. He next turned to Cassavettes for Cap but that fell through. The above deal(s) were made by Arad 3 years before Iron Man was released.

8. thalidomide The Enemy

9. Adamantium Man Just Another Metal Person

10. J.Howlett Guest

This is why I don't see Avengers going way beyond Iron Man numbers at the box office. Although, with international taking off since Avatar, I could be wrong. But domestically, I don't see it making 100 million more than the first Iron Man film...

11. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Basically when the Avengers comes out and is awesome I fully expect "teh haterz" to be crushed under the overwhelming love that follows.
    And it'll be glorious.

12. J.Howlett Guest

13. thalidomide The Enemy

14. Alexei Belyakov Registered

15. The Morningstar Registered

It's hard to say. What is easy to say is that Hulk is more famous and popular as a character than IM.

Fact is, TIH just didn't impress people, which isn't surprising when you look at Letterier's filmography.

Developing SHIELD? What? Hammer got plenty of development and was a great character. Vanko? Not so much. IM2 was a mess, SHIELD isn't the reason for it.

If Rothman set up the villain in X-Men to be a villain in F4 where they both had to team up to stop it? Yea, maybe.

The way Asgardian mythology was linked in Cap and Thor was well done. The way Cap set up Steve's story in Avengers is apparently well done. The way Loki's fall from grace in Thor, making him a more violent and twisted villain in Avengers, is apparently well done.

These things are a little bit more complex than simple cameos. To deny this is just being a silly little blind hater.

Why does the blame fall to Feige for those things? It's actually ridiculous how your AUTOMATICALLY attribute any short coming to Feige.

And IM2 made more than Iron Man. Who in ****s name would have thought a character like Thor would have a movie that made half a billion dollars?

Incorrect. He didn't have any intention to make an interconnected universe to set up Avengers. He had the intention to do those solo movies sure, but it was mainly Feige who was like "Hey hold up, what if we have these movies connect to each other?"

There have been missteps and sacrifices along the way, but like with all experiments, they will be sacrifices and missteps. This is inevitable. If it all pays off with Avengers, which it will financially, and seems to be so far critically, you need to shut the **** up.

16. thalidomide The Enemy

Well it's a Critic's review thread right? Does it have to be earth shattering mind blowing review?

Critic's Review thread, plain and simple. My first language isn't english and yet I understood the title.

17. The Morningstar Registered

Don't be silly, Avengers will make 800 million minimum. Have you seen the tracking? Have you seen reports that say Avengers is more talked about in the UK than the finale to Harry ****ing Potter? It's more talked about than Harry Potter in the UK, do you realise what that means? It's going to be a phenomenon.

18. thalidomide The Enemy

Yeah I know, but I did that to end off-topicness in this thread. I'm not trying to attack anyone but for **** sake do it in another thread.

19. J.Howlett Guest

The guy's review didn't reveal anything that hadn't been said in the earlier reviews. It's just a regular review.

Frankly, critics have gotten lazy. I want analysis when it comes to film reviews. The production values, themes, etc., etc.

20. The Morningstar Registered

21. thalidomide The Enemy

22. J.Howlett Guest

I'm talking domestically. Iron Man made 318 million domestically. Of course, internationally it'll be big because they're eating up 3D and spectacle over there. How else do you explain Transformers 3 making a billion dollars worldwide?

And sorry but Avengers will never take the place of how culturally important and how much of a phenomenon Potter was for the UK. Never, no matter how much money Avengers makes over there. It'll never be as important as Potter to them.

Still, does Avengers make 418 million domestically, with the competition? It'll be close.

23. J.Howlett Guest

Better review than the last one, that's for sure. Look, could you have written that review?

That's all I'm saying. No one's gone really in depth with any of the reviews. I mean, REALLY in depth.

24. Alexei Belyakov Registered

Nobody was watching TIH because half of them didn't even know it was out.

SHIELD had no business being in the film. The time wasted on them could have been further progression for Vanko & Hammer.

There was no villain in Iron Man linked to another MCU film. Same goes for TIH, Thor & Cap. Avengers is the first time one film's villain becomes another's.

In other words, a FOX cameo cross-over is invalid. An MCU cameo-crossover is valid. Nonsense.

Its the most important shortcoming.

It made $6 Million less Domestically than the first film after 2 years of inflation & IMAX ticket boosts.

Any character if done right can appeal to many. Look at The Smurfs movie.

Are you even reading what I've been writing?

Arad approached Favs and Cassavettes to make inter-connected pictures. The deal with Cassavettes fell through but through Valhalla they were able to find financing for TIH. The plan by Arad was always to inter-connect the universes/characters.

Layman's Terms: 4 films worth of collateral damage for one film to work.

Yeah, Kevin Feige's a genius alright.

25. Alexei Belyakov Registered

I'm expecting $300 - $350 Domestically.

For TDKR I'm expecting $400 - $450, maybe even more.

I think ASM will under-perform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.