The Avengers The Avengers Critics Reviews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerPacked

Civilian
Reaction score
Since the worldwide April release is in about a month, and reviews are usually released a few weeks before, we should get a few early reviews in the coming weeks.

So this is just getting ready for that.

IMDB has one critic up...
http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/39533

Avengers is nothing short of amazing, but that’s still selling this movie short. It is the perfect summer movie- wall to wall action, huge characters, and tons of fun. I have never heard an audience break into applause so many times in any movie as this. I personally had at least 5 “F@#$ YEAH!!!” moments of sheer joy. I say “at least” because I stopped counting I was having so much fun.

what’s it get right?
Damn near everything.
7 stars. Out of 4. That’s right. 7.

That is the only reason why I wanted to see it on it's first day of release. The reaction of the viewers are priceless because that is the very first time they see the film. The cheers, the applause and even the screaming and standing from your seat are the best reactions you can get in the first showing.

That is the only reason why I wanted to see it on it's first day of release. The reaction of the viewers are priceless because that is the very first time they see the film. The cheers, the applause and even the screaming and standing from your seat are the best reactions you can get in the first showing.
Yea when you go to a packed theater and the movie delivers, the cheers and applause actualy add a little something extra to the enjoyment the movie your watching. If feel sorry for the people that end up missing the first week of The Avengers release.

Yea when you go to a packed theater and the movie delivers, the cheers and applause actualy add a little something extra to the enjoyment the movie your watching. If feel sorry for the people that end up missing the first week of The Avengers release.

Yeah I had a very good time when I went to see "Chronicle", the atmosphere was filled with laughter and enjoyment.

Don't websites like Empire and Variety usually have reviews out early?

Empire's should hit tomorrow night I'm guessing. Anybody wanna predict some critics' takes? Since I'm just bored and the wait for an embargo to lift is killing me, I'm gonna try to call some of the reviews from critics I usually read now:

A.O. Scott of the NY Times will be mixed. He's been ready to hate this thing on principle, and he will STILL have a problem with it I'm sure, but I think he'll find things to enjoy about it in spite of himself.

Roger Ebert is the toughest guy to predict because honestly, his likes and dislikes are so random to me. If there's one plot point he finds to nitpick, he'll spend his entire review on that, then give the movie 3 stars with no real explanation. I'm gonna say he'll give this one 3.5/4 stars.

James Berardinelli: A near rave. He'll find a weakness, but he'll love it anyway.

Empire Magazine
: 4.5-5/5 stars.

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone: He's gonna f***ing love this thing. 4 stars.

Entertainment Weekly: I don't know if it'll be Owen or Lisa reviewing, but I have a feeling either will love it. I predict an A- (they almost never give full A's, and there is no A+).

USA Today: rave.

Variety: rave.

The Hollywood Reporter: a definite positive, if not a rave.

Ann Hornaday of the Washington Post: She'll be ashamed of enjoying a superhero movie as much as she did as she has a pretentious rep to maintain, so she'll give it a respectable-but-not-gushing 3/4 stars.

I don't expect anyone to hate it, but if someone randomly does, the most likely candidates are A.O. Scott and Ann Hornaday.

....and I wish I knew more UK critics since it's their embargo lifting on Friday, lol.

A.O. Scott of the NY Times will be mixed. He's been ready to hate this thing on principle, and he will STILL have a problem with it I'm sure, but I think he'll find things to enjoy about it in spite of himself.

Dunno... dude even managed to hate on TDK, he'll find a way with TA.

Dunno... dude even managed to hate on TDK, he'll find a way with TA.
Well, he didn't hate on it so much as give it a backhanded compliment (basically saying it was as good a movie as this genre can produce, then hoping that meant the genre would just go away now), but he reluctantly enjoyed Cap thanks to its earnestness and heart. TA could appeal to him with those same qualities.

Ebert's previous scores for Marvel movies

Iron Man ****
Iron Man 2 ***
The Incredible Hulk **1/2
Hulk ***
Thor *1/2
Captain America ***

So he loves Downey Jr and Iron Man, likes both Hulk films and Cap, but hates on Thor

Ebert's previous scores for Marvel movies

Iron Man ****
Iron Man 2 ***
The Incredible Hulk **1/2
Hulk ***
Thor *1/2
Captain America ***

So he loves Downey Jr and Iron Man, likes both Hulk films and Cap, but hates on Thor
And if you average those ratings together, you get 2.83, which rounds up to 3 stars. But I'm gonna stick with my 3.5 star prediction, because of the whole "exceeds expectations" factor this movie has going for it.

Ebert also likes Whedon's stuff a fair amount... 3 stars for both Serenity and Cabin. So I'd say Ebert's a lock for 3, but as flickchick states, with the reactions the movie's been getting, I might go as high as 3.5.

And if you average those ratings together, you get 2.83, which rounds up to 3 stars. But I'm gonna stick with my 3.5 star prediction, because of the whole "exceeds expectations" factor this movie has going for it.

He gave IM1 4 stars. If this one is similar quality, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see him give it 4 stars as well.

He gave IM1 4 stars. If this one is similar quality, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see him give it 4 stars as well.
I wouldn't be surprised, but the reason I'm not predicting 4 stars is because the main villain is from his most-hated MCU flick, along with one of the central relationships of the film. There's a lot of remnants of Thor in this flick, and it seems like the pure vitriol he has for that film will hold him back from completely loving this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"