DC TV Series 'The Batman' Gotham TV Spinoff at HBO Max

I don't know how they're gonna pull off just getting rid of all cop shows in existence as that's like 80% of shows out there.
Maybe make it about the corrupt GCPD.

Winter took a 500+ page self-indulgent memoir about a wall-street *****e and turned it into a take-down of opportunistic capitalists and excess, and his work on Sopranos was incredibly nuanced too. If this was a network TV show, then I definitely would be worried on it being copaganda, but I'd be very surprised if that's the kind of show that this creative team wanted to make, especially with how seismic of an impact recent events have had on how we view media portrayals of law enforcement agents.
Not saying I agree with the sentiment but ultimately the people who have a problem with this premise have a fundamental objection to any show that features "good" cops. Doesn't matter if it deals with police corruption, if it portrays the possibility of doing good or reform within the system it is inherently copaganda.

Reeves and Winter are tremendous talents and I couldn't be more enthused about this especially if they are indeed drawing heavily on Gotham Central.

People calling a show "copaganda" without knowing a thing about it don't care about police brutality, and they don't care about racism, and they don't care about "copaganda".

They care about constantly perpetuating their own political agenda that has no room for context or nuance.

So apparently Matt Reeves was in a coma the last month and half, if he thinks a copgangda show is the way to go right now. Read the ****ing room man.
It's not a copaganda show, it's going to be about a corrupt department and how good people react in such an enviroment

People calling a show "copaganda" without knowing a thing about it don't care about police brutality, and they don't care about racism, and they don't care about "copaganda".

They care about constantly perpetuating their own political agenda that has no room for context or nuance.
I admit it, I was being reactionary. While I know the source material, and really do like it, I was overreacting in the moment. That was wrong of me and I apologize for it.

I admit it, I was being reactionary. While I know the source material, and really do like it, I was overreacting in the moment. That was wrong of me and I apologize for it.

My comment was probably overly harsh and I apologize as well if you felt attacked.

My comment was probably overly harsh and I apologize as well if you felt attacked.
Nah, it is a fair point. I do this a lot and I need to get better at it. Posting a gut reaction, that probably needs a bit more time to digest. I did this with the Watchmen show, and I ended up absolutely adoring it. Your post was neither overly harsh or taken in a bad way. :up:

I think this is a ridiculous idea. We had 5 seasons of Gotham already, this is overkill to try and net viewership for HBO max using Batman as a marketing tool. I don’t like it and I won’t support it.

This show's tone will probably won't be the same as Gotham and it will have more nuance due the people that's behind this show but okay. It's weird that some people are personally offended over a show that's still in its development stage.

Last edited:
But, Gotham was a boring take on the Bat universe... with overall weak acting and bad plotting. [I didn't mind Chino Jim or Alfred's/Bruce's dynamic once and a while]

This will hopefully be the exact opposite of it, considering who's attached.

So Reeves talked a little about this during the Batman panel. Takes place during year one and discusses the history of corruption in both Gotham City and within the police force itself from the perspective of a new character on the force. I believe Reeves also said the Batman’s impact on Gotham is felt in the show. I think everything he said in addition to it taking place in the same universe as the Batman should alleviate fears of a copaganda show, or that it would be just like Gotham. Sounds pretty clear that Terrance Winter and Reeves are doing their own thing with this and got me pumped.

I hate cops and I am sick of television shows about them.

Gotham was a horrible show, really the only DC live action show since Smallville that wasn't good. We don't need any more shows remotely like it.

Considering the movie (Year Two, essentially) is the still early in the development of Riddler/Catwoman/Penguin, I’ll be curious to see what kind of villains could be featured during Year One. The show just being corrupt cops and the mob being picked off one-by-one by a mostly unseen Batman strikes me as a bit boring, maybe... Hugo Strange? The Red Hood?

For those that missed the panel, here is the breakdown for what Reeves actually said:

”The idea for this story was Gotham [having] this depth of corruption and have a story... that goes into the inner workings of the city," Reeves said.

Reeves also mentioned how the series will poke at the hidden corners of corruption in Gotham, something that has gone back "years" and follows one detective with a connection to the murky past of the city.

Speaking of years, The Batman spin-off series will follow the boys (and girls) in blue at GCPD in "Year One." That is, the first year Batman entered onto the scene. The Batman movie, meanwhile, will take place in Year Two.

"The idea is we go back to Year One," Reeves explained. "Year One is the beginning, it's the first appearance of this masked vigilante [Batman] that states to unsettle the city."

I’m curious to know how much Reeves’ Year One will resemble the comic Year One. I know there’s a commissioner in the film who seems to be an original character, but I wonder if this series will feature Loeb and then once he’s forced to resign, the film’s commissioner takes over.

I wonder if Flass is in the mix... I wonder if John Turturro will be a regular role in the series...

I’m very intrigued.

Sources say creative differences are to blame for the split as Winter's vision for the drama did not match what Reeves and other producers had in mind. A search is under way for a new showrunner for the untitled drama.

Crap. Was looking forward to Winter's influence, but hopefully the series finds a showrunner of similar caliber because Winter's involvement was one of the main reasons I was looking forward to this. I still am, but Winter as showrunner was a big factor in that.

If Berlanti or Guggenheim end up involved I'm gonna lose it.

Don't give them any ideas...

Though after Winter's departure, I'm pushing for Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald, the showrunners behind Perry Mason.

I hate cops and I am sick of television shows about them.
...so, you hate people? :rolleyes:

In this day and age where we're trying to get away from prejudice and indifference, I find it poorly ironic that you'd label cops as inherently bad. Cops are people, and you get good and bad people, straight and corrupt. How naive of you to think otherwise.

I forgot about this. But thinking about it now, DC/WB will have what? 4/5 different universes going on at one time?

CW-verse
Titans
Doom Patrol
That Suicide Squad spin off thats part of the "DCEU" proper
The Batman-verse w/ Gotham PD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"