1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

DC TV Series 'The Batman' Gotham TV Spinoff at HBO Max

Discussion in 'DC Comics TV' started by geetard, Jul 10, 2020.

1. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

I don't know how they're gonna pull off just getting rid of all cop shows in existence as that's like 80% of shows out there.

WhoMani, Lencho01 and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  2. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Maybe make it about the corrupt GCPD.

3. NotNickFury Registered

You can just say GCPD.

antsman41 and DarthSkywalker like this.
  4. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I said what I said.

Boy Scout likes this.
  5. Joined:
    Jun 13, 2019
    Not saying I agree with the sentiment but ultimately the people who have a problem with this premise have a fundamental objection to any show that features "good" cops. Doesn't matter if it deals with police corruption, if it portrays the possibility of doing good or reform within the system it is inherently copaganda.

Reeves and Winter are tremendous talents and I couldn't be more enthused about this especially if they are indeed drawing heavily on Gotham Central.

DarthSkywalker and Schlosser85 like this.
  6. Schlosser85 Registered

People calling a show "copaganda" without knowing a thing about it don't care about police brutality, and they don't care about racism, and they don't care about "copaganda".

They care about constantly perpetuating their own political agenda that has no room for context or nuance.

7. sherman Registered

It's not a copaganda show, it's going to be about a corrupt department and how good people react in such an enviroment

8. DarthSkywalker Regular As Clockwork (he/him)

I admit it, I was being reactionary. While I know the source material, and really do like it, I was overreacting in the moment. That was wrong of me and I apologize for it.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  9. Schlosser85 Registered

My comment was probably overly harsh and I apologize as well if you felt attacked.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  10. DarthSkywalker Regular As Clockwork (he/him)

Nah, it is a fair point. I do this a lot and I need to get better at it. Posting a gut reaction, that probably needs a bit more time to digest. I did this with the Watchmen show, and I ended up absolutely adoring it. Your post was neither overly harsh or taken in a bad way. :up:

Schlosser85 likes this.
  11. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I think this is a ridiculous idea. We had 5 seasons of Gotham already, this is overkill to try and net viewership for HBO max using Batman as a marketing tool. I don’t like it and I won’t support it.

12. WhoMani Registered

This show's tone will probably won't be the same as Gotham and it will have more nuance due the people that's behind this show but okay. It's weird that some people are personally offended over a show that's still in its development stage.

#37 WhoMani, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  13. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

But, Gotham was a boring take on the Bat universe... with overall weak acting and bad plotting. [I didn't mind Chino Jim or Alfred's/Bruce's dynamic once and a while]

This will hopefully be the exact opposite of it, considering who's attached.

14. souvlaki Registered

So Reeves talked a little about this during the Batman panel. Takes place during year one and discusses the history of corruption in both Gotham City and within the police force itself from the perspective of a new character on the force. I believe Reeves also said the Batman’s impact on Gotham is felt in the show. I think everything he said in addition to it taking place in the same universe as the Batman should alleviate fears of a copaganda show, or that it would be just like Gotham. Sounds pretty clear that Terrance Winter and Reeves are doing their own thing with this and got me pumped.

Lencho01 and Prison Mike like this.
  15. famicommander Registered

I hate cops and I am sick of television shows about them.

Gotham was a horrible show, really the only DC live action show since Smallville that wasn't good. We don't need any more shows remotely like it.

kjwan likes this.
  16. Sawyer High King

Considering the movie (Year Two, essentially) is the still early in the development of Riddler/Catwoman/Penguin, I’ll be curious to see what kind of villains could be featured during Year One. The show just being corrupt cops and the mob being picked off one-by-one by a mostly unseen Batman strikes me as a bit boring, maybe... Hugo Strange? The Red Hood?

17. souvlaki Registered

For those that missed the panel, here is the breakdown for what Reeves actually said:

Lencho01 likes this.
  18. Sawyer High King

I’m curious to know how much Reeves’ Year One will resemble the comic Year One. I know there’s a commissioner in the film who seems to be an original character, but I wonder if this series will feature Loeb and then once he’s forced to resign, the film’s commissioner takes over.

I wonder if Flass is in the mix... I wonder if John Turturro will be a regular role in the series...

I’m very intrigued.

19. NotNickFury Registered

Crap. Was looking forward to Winter's influence, but hopefully the series finds a showrunner of similar caliber because Winter's involvement was one of the main reasons I was looking forward to this. I still am, but Winter as showrunner was a big factor in that.

20. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Prison Mike likes this.
  21. NotNickFury Registered

Don't give them any ideas...

Though after Winter's departure, I'm pushing for Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald, the showrunners behind Perry Mason.

22. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

...so, you hate people? :rolleyes:

In this day and age where we're trying to get away from prejudice and indifference, I find it poorly ironic that you'd label cops as inherently bad. Cops are people, and you get good and bad people, straight and corrupt. How naive of you to think otherwise.

23. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I forgot about this. But thinking about it now, DC/WB will have what? 4/5 different universes going on at one time?

CW-verse
    Titans
    Doom Patrol
    That Suicide Squad spin off thats part of the "DCEU" proper
    The Batman-verse w/ Gotham PD