Blue Beetle The Blue Beetle News and Discussion Thread

I thought you stopped reading? Couldn't resist?

Yeah, skipping a movie IN THEATERS because you think is a throw away and not part of a universe or may flop isnt that great of a reason. Simply not being interested makes sense. Strictly not going to theaters anymore...makes sense. Your reasoning, not that much sense.

lisa-rinna-rinna.gif
I didn't comment to your every word. Just like right now.

But I already glanced at some of your mistakes, and I just wanted to correct you in that specific line. I am seeing the film, just not in theaters. That was clear.

Read clearly neXt time before you make an assumption about someone's movie watching habits.

I didn't comment to your every word. Just like right now.

But I already glanced at some of your mistakes, and I just wanted to correct you. I am seeing the film, just not in theaters. That was clear.

Read better neXt time.

I read just fine. You still went beyond the very sentence you claimed to stop at. Stay true to your word :smilingeyes:

was there some generic {superhero origin story} tropes in this? maybe
did it kinda feel like a 2008-2012 era Marvel movie? yes
have other comic book movies gone to extreme length to move away from that style since those days to differentiate themselves? also yes

is it kinda refreshing to see a Superhero movie go back to the basics? absolutely
I wish we got back to the basics for the first DCEU movie of The Flash and Aquaman but it is what it is.

As for whether this would be better received if it were Marvel, I am inclined to say no. I think this would have scored better and had more interest if this came out in say....2016 when you could practically sell any character to the public cause CBM fever was at its apex. But now, it feels like we have seen movies like Blue Beetle a thousand times. So it's about standing out to differentiate yourself in the market, and I don't think it did. Just felt like, another decent example of the same formula audiences are sort of sick of

Good film, but as others have said doesn't offer anything new. I found the family kind of annoying during the first hour when they were all trying to crack jokes every few minutes. One thing I thought of is maybe the title should have included the Spanish equivalent of Blue Beetle, maybe could have distinguished it a bit and made it feel different.

I had a good time with this y'all! It had some rough stretches. The whole "learning how to use the powers" portion of the movie had me completely checked out, it was literally Ironman+Spiderman Homecoming combined with a bunch of movies we've seen before. But overall, the cast was very charming and likable, the family dynamic really worked, a certain moment in the movie choked me up a bit, the action is surprisingly well shot, the score and music was great and overall the movie just has a good vibe to it, you know?

Make no mistake this movie is VERY derivative of its peers and copies and pastes a ton of tropes we've seen but on its own merits it works and you have to go into the movie with that mentality, to take it as it is.

This was a blast, super surprised. A lot of heart and decent jokes… solid B. Better than most of the last few MCU’s and easily better than any non-main Batman DC film(s) since the dope Birds Of Prey.

Nana rules, loved George Lopez, and the girl playing Jenny had that solid Letty meets Mia vibes from TF&TF.

As a longtime member of the Blue Beetle Battalion, I've been waiting for this movie for a long time. And while Ted will always be my fave, thanks to my early days reading JLI trades I stumbled upon at the library, it's great to see Jaime get the spotlight.

Is it a fairly standard origin story? Sure, narrative-wise. But that sort of criticism is just so dull. Most movies are different variations of the same story told again and again. If you come to a movie looking at it as just a collection of generalized plot points, anything can be boiled down to "boring" and "cliche." But that's CinemaSins brain. That's not embracing the heart of the story. And Blue Beetle has so much heart!

I'l get more into details on it later, but this was the most I've enjoyed a non-sequel superhero film in a LONG time. It perfectly captures that fresh energy of a new adventure, one that I dearly hope we'll get followed up on if word-of-mouth can carry it to strong holds in the coming weeks. Great leads, stellar supporting cast, great world-building (FINALLY a CBM world that actually reflects the advanced technology at play!!!) and (again, as a huge fan of Ted) does great justice to the legacy of the character while still wholly embracing the unique cultural approach of Jaime's background.

The Flash was fine IMO, but audiences reactions was divided. I personally feel like people will only go watch a DC film if it has Batman or the joker in it. Didn't help that Gunn announced a reboot which people just threw up their hands in anger, or just decided to sit out everything and wait to see what Gunn's going to do. WB brought this on themselves starting with Hamada who was just throwing **** on the wall to see what would stick with no real plan, and the dicking around of Henry Cavill for almost a decade which meant no MoS2, and announcing said reboot before finishing the DCEU proper. I will say this, The Rock clearly sabotaged his own movie tho with his ego. ‍BB got good reviews but it's still looks to underperform. At this point the DC brand might be just damaged (again, unless it's Batman related). Hell, even Marvel is ****in up.

I guess we'll see if this has legs now. Really curious to see if Aquaman delivers...

Last edited:
The Flash was fine IMO, but audiences reactions was divided. I personally feel like people will only go watch a DC film if it has Batman or the joker in it. Didn't help that Gunn announced a reboot which people just threw up their hands in anger, or just decided to sit out everything and wait to see what Gunn's going to do. WB brought this on themselves starting with Hamada who was just throwing **** on the wall to see what would stick with no real plan, and the dicking around of Henry Cavill for almost a decade which meant no MoS2, and announcing said reboot before finishing the DCEU proper. I will say this, The Rock clearly sabotaged his own movie tho with his ego. ‍BB got good reviews but it's still looks to underperform. At this point the DC brand might be just damaged (again, unless it's Batman related). Hell, even Marvel is ****in up.
The Flash had two Batmen in it and the movie is the biggest WB box office bomb.

The Flash had two Batmen in it and the movie is the biggest WB box office bomb.
here's the thing, flash was doomed to begin with. Even before Ezra's rampage, which i don't think the general public cared about.

▪︎People was already against it cause it was basically a meme for how long it was in development hell, in which it was likely already finished but reshoots did **** all, ▪︎People were pissed that Grant wasn't cast as the main flash.
▪︎People Not warming up to Ezra
▪︎ People pissed that it was rumored to be ending the DCEU
▪︎ No Cavill Superman

All these reasons you are listing, are affecting only a portion of fans, not the general audience.

The vast majority of moviegoers have no idea that DC is being rebooted, how long The Flash was in development or who Grant Gaustin is. And if Cavill was as popular as some fans on the internet think he was, WB would have kept him around. The reality is every single film he appeared either underperformed or flat out bombed.

I think it has more to do with an audience fatigue that stems from mediocre superhero films and blockbusters in general and from releasing too many versions of them. We have four different live action Batman actors in ten years. Hell, we had a successful reboot of the character a year ago and a couple of months ago they brought back one that was successful 30+ years ago and one that never really was.

I think the days of studios basing a box office win entirely on the popularity of a character/brand, are beginning to fade away.

Really enjoyed this; happy to see Jaime join the DCU whether or not that’s in a sequel or in other franchises.

All these reasons you are listing, are affecting only a portion of fans, not the general audience.

The vast majority of moviegoers have no idea that DC is being rebooted, how long The Flash was in development or who Grant Gaustin is. And if Cavill was as popular as some fans on the internet think he was, WB would have kept him around. The reality is every single film he appeared either underperformed or flat out bombed.

I think it has more to do with an audience fatigue that stems from mediocre superhero films and blockbusters in general and from releasing too many versions of them. We have four different live action Batman actors in ten years. Hell, we had a successful reboot of the character a year ago and a couple of months ago they brought back one that was successful 30+ years ago and one that never really was.

I think the days of studios basing a box office win entirely on the popularity of a character/brand, are beginning to fade away.
Nope. Don't feel like re-litigating the Cavill situation lol. As to everything else, I'll just say, We'll see what happens.

7/10

A bit derivative of other superhero movies, specifically IM 1 & 2 (suit elements, final battles), Spider-Man Homecoming, and the first couple of Transformers movies with the Sam Witwicky character. The visuals and score make this movie worthwhile for me, the practical suit with CG refinements (similar to the Holland SM suit) is absolutely 10/10 very well done there. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the way they handled the latino representation here tbh. Instead of making this a mass appealing 4 quadrant movie where everyone is welcome, the movie isolates itself from everyone else just for the sake of the latino representation we get. Yes, it's great and while the ensemble here does a good job, look to the Spider-Verse movies and Black Panther for a much better approach at providing specific representation in a way that still invites everyone else into that world.

In regard to the future of Blue Beetle, I can't really say if this has a future in the Gunn-verse. Does Gunn have plans to do something with The Reach? Would introducing Black Beetle feel too much like this movie (similar to how IM2 felt like the ending of IM1)? I don't know where this character would fit in the plans Gunn has shared with us so far. It's entirely possible this character could fit into his Phase 2, but how far away are we from that if he even gets that far. Looks like this movie will probably break even at the BO but is that enough to justify a sequel? We'll see, I just hope they can avoid the crash and burn that happened to Shazam.

Overall, a fun time at the movies and can't believe we got Blue Beetle this well realized in live action. Nana for the win
ezgif-com-resize.gif

Yes. It's superhero movie fatigue, plain and simple. Every time I say this someone replies with "It's not superhero movie fatigue, it's mediocre superhero movie fatigue!!!" as if a good 70% of all superhero movies of the past decade weren't mediocre. That's the entire point: Hollywood has been making money off mediocre superhero movies for the past 10 years and they can no longer do that because audiences are tired of the genre in general.

No, I agree. Mediocre and bad genre movies that did good before are flopping royally now, and good movies are still doing good but not as good as they used to or as they would have made a few years back. This is the definition of fatigue or at the very least the start of it. It's apparent and it's going to get worse over the years.

That being said, judging on the box office this year, I do, however, think that superhero films are only a part of the problem, and it's basically about big action blockbusters. Too much content and too much of the same formula over and over again has become tiring for moviegoers, especially when they know that those flicks are going to hit streaming in a matter of weeks.

even MCU is struggling. mediocre ones like Shan-Chi, Antman Quantumania, Eternals couldn't even reach $500m WW.

besides the fact that people just don't go to movies that offend, anymore (only really going out to the big event movies) this movie had a lot going against it of no fault of its own...

Blue Beetle is not that well known of a character, in the first place
there was very minimal advertisement for it
mixing that with people just not knowing where this movie sits with new DCU moving forward
and the DCEU just coming off of a few flops of movies (that DC fatigue just really hit hard)

it's shame this movie isn't getting the recognition it deserves

people calling it a flop after open weekend just cause it didn't do numbers

it really needed that positive word of mouth

give it time let it cook a little

I think once it does find its audience (probably when it hits stream) people will realize it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it to be, (maybe even develop a bit of a cult following of a guilty pleasure kinda movie) but, it might be too late at that point...

Idk where they were originally heading with this movie (before the reboot talks) if they wanted it to be a franchise/ wanted to put this character in the SnyderVerse... but I don't know if it well get a direct squeal either way, now... we'll see some version of this character again (hopeful with the same actor{s}) questionable of how much of this movie will be cannon

personally I thought this worked best to think of it as its own thing

Last edited:
Thought id squeeze this is on my day off. Man this was a solid film. It really does everything a superhero film should and in some ways even better i personally had a blast with this. Xolo was a great lead and happy to see him spread his wings(no pun) in this film. The rest of the family was top notch and pretty much stole the show, in particular Belissa Escobedo (Great range) and George Lopez. The villains in Victoria Kord and Carapax were pretty much cookie cutter. I did like Carapax's arc though.

Action and CGI is what you would expect but still had some great moments and Blue Beetle's powers really have there chance to shine. Soundtrack and Latino culture really was used nicely in this film (Credit to Angel Manuel Soto) The dynamic between Jaime and the Khaji Da(Becky G) were done better here than Iron man/Jarvis and Spiderman/Karen, there's a particular scene where they shine in the 3rd act.

Overall this is a solid entry in the DCU. I would say its near the top in terms of DC films and in terms of overall i would say it sits inbetween Iron man 2008 and Spiderman Homecoming . It really is a shame it hasn't had the marketing and promotion to get people in the cinema's and unfortunately has come at the worst time with the DCU coming to an end. Damn shame if im honest.

7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"