The Brave and the Bold News and Discussion Thread

I do think the fact of the matter is that here Superman IS the star. A very very very large number of people have known about the Superman character for their entire lives; even if they haven't watch any of his stuff or liked his recent movies. And I do think there's something to be said about an IP like that which is so ridiculously recognizable. It doesn't need stars, it already has one most people in the world knows. Marketing and word of mouth should take care of things.
I honestly just don’t agree that Superman as a character alone is enough. I think he needs all the help he can possibly get. Again, I don’t think you can’t do it and I won’t be mind blown if it succeeds (because Gunn makes good movies and has a level of basic competence as a writer far exceeding the regular hacks who write CBMs) but I do think there’s a lot working against it and people are losing perspective in their hype.

I hope they are not dead :downcast:

Maybe Barbara can be the commish though

I like the idea of avoiding most classic Batman status quo things so it’d be neat if Gordon was retired. Alfred dying also feels like an inevitable beat a movie will hit one day too.

Both being dead feels OTT though. Would be less impactful.

my-fancast-for-batman-in-the-dcu-is-oliver-jackson-cohen-v0-3bagz7hj13ac1.jpeg

Oliver Jackson Cohen would be so boring as Batman and not even in a "he'd be so obvious to the point of being generic!", more in a "There is absolutely nothing he could bring to the role that other actors haven't done, or could do much better and what he could bring to the role isn't particularly interesting."

Good lord, 28K and 18K likes. A lot of people really want to see Battinson in the DCU lmao. Which is a horrible idea (and one I don't even understand at this point since I don't even think the suits match each other at all, Corenswet's Superman is begging for a more heightened batsuit) but it really does speak a lot to how much that version of Batman connected with people and how this movie has kind of a ****ed up hill to climb, which I think it can climb, but man.

Oliver Jackson Cohen would be so boring as Batman and not even in a "he'd be so obvious to the point of being generic!", more in a "There is absolutely nothing he could bring to the role that other actors haven't done, or could do much better and what he could bring to the role isn't particularly interesting."
Cohen is great, classic Batman material. He’s exactly the kind of actor I’m expecting except a bit younger and fits very cleanly with the type of casting Gunn is doing - he’d fit very well with Corenswet, it would feel of a piece with that casting even though Cohen as Batman would be way more interesting to me than David as Supes.

Cohen is great, classic Batman material. He’s exactly the kind of actor I’m expecting except a bit younger and fits very cleanly with the type of casting Gunn is doing - he’d fit very well with Corenswet, it would feel of a piece with that casting even though Cohen as Batman would be way more interesting to me than David as Supes.
I think he'd feel very much dollar-store Pattinson acting wise and I don't really find his look or presence or voice to be intrinsically Bruce Wayne-y or Batman-y enough to compensate for that tbh. He'd be very boring for that reason and I can't really imagine him being able to make the character his own in any meaningful way. Whole time he'd just be reminding me of how much better Robert is in comparison.

I do, however, think he's a good actor and he'd probably be best suited for another character like the Question. And maaaaybe even an older Barry Allen. But Batman has always felt off to me and the more I've seen of Oliver's work the more I've gotten that perspective.

I think he'd feel very much dollar-store Pattinson acting wise and I don't really find his look or presence or voice to be intrinsically Bruce Wayne-y or Batman-y enough to compensate for that tbh. He'd be very boring for that reason and I can't really imagine him being able to make the character his own in any meaningful way. Whole time he'd just be reminding me of how much better Robert is in comparison.

I do, however, think he's a good actor and he'd probably be best suited for another character like the Question. And maaaaybe even an older Barry Allen. But Batman has always felt off to me and the more I've seen of Oliver's work the more I've gathered that perspective.
Man, I disagree. Cohen's work with Flanagan all just screams Batman to me even though neither of the two very different characters he played in the Haunting series were Batman like at all. There's something in his screen presence and the way he conveys the pain his characters are feeling in such a genuine, real way. I think he's only of a "type" with Pattinson because they're both actors who are naturally suited to Batman.

He'd be great as The Question too though. I would drop basically every DC project right now apart from The Batman Saga for a Question series. My total lack of enthusiasm for the DCU is tempered by knowing Question feels inevitable at some point or another. Great, massively underutilized character.

Man, I disagree. Cohen's work with Flanagan all just screams Batman to me even though neither of the two very different characters he played in the Haunting series were Batman like at all. There's something in his screen presence and the way he conveys the pain his characters are feeling in such a genuine, real way. I think he's only of a "type" with Pattinson because they're both actors who are naturally suited to Batman.
That's the thing for me though. Cohen's main strength as an actor is vulnerability; and I do mean hyper vulnerability, it's something he talks about in pretty much all of his interviews, where he talks a lot about how despite his appearance he doesn't feel naturally suited in any way for the sort of action hero, "hyper masculine roles" (for the lack of a better term but that's basically how he's described it). Not to say that Batman shouldn't be vulnerable, I mean, all my favorite choices have in common they can express vulnerability, but they can also pair it up with that other stuff. Problem with Oliver is that he has no sense of gravitas whatsoever, there's nothing that feels particularly tough about him beyond just the fact that he's a 6'3 well built man, but his strength as an actor is that he can be charismatic and then can make you feel bad for him in the process.

And while that's something that can work great for certain takes on Batman, and you can certainly have hyper vulnerable takes on Batman... we already have a take that's doing sorta that the absolute best one could do that and it's Pattinson's. So it's not a take I'm at all interested in seeing in the DCU, and any other take they could do in the DCU like the Grant Morrison over-the-top peak human "Alpha Male Plus" (god that moment in the comic is so funny) or Justice League "One Punch" International he'd feel very very very miscast in and I think he'd be the first person to say he'd be miscast in that type of role. He's not nearly half as obvious for the role as Corenswet is for Superman who can play probably most versions of Superman in the comics; there are only very specific versions of Batman that OJC would be great in, and imo none of those should be in the DCU when Pattinson's take exists and if Morrison's Batman is their guiding light.

Last edited:
This conversation is going to be more productive (and more enjoyable, quite frankly) if we consider actors according to their broader talent and aesthetic. OJC fits the appropriate age range, he has a proper Bruce Wayne look, and he's a talented guy. Makes perfect sense that he'd be a candidate worth discussing, especially this early in the process when they haven't even begun the search yet. We can get into the weeds with this sort of analysis when we actually have a tangible shortlist of actors to work with.

This conversation is going to be more productive (and more enjoyable, quite frankly) if we consider actors according to their broader talent and aesthetic. OJC fits the appropriate age range, he has a proper Bruce Wayne look, and he's a talented guy. Makes perfect sense that he'd be a candidate worth discussing, especially this early in the process when they haven't even begun the search yet. We can get into the weeds with this sort of analysis when we actually have a tangible shortlist of actors to work with.
Brother I made a whole list of over 150 names ranging 30-50 years old. I am considering everybody.

You seem to have your mind made up on OJC.

I'm pretty skeptical how much Morrison will actually be in this movie outside of shallow aesthetics and plot beats. Morrison's Batman is the best Batman story ever told no comparison but pretty much everything that makes it special is so out there and meta and strange. Not expecting much other than some of the basic events of Batman RIP and a general vibe for Batman.

I'm pretty skeptical how much Morrison will actually be in this movie outside of shallow aesthetics and plot beats. Morrison's Batman is the best Batman story ever told no comparison but pretty much everything that makes it special is so out there and meta and strange. Not expecting much other than some of the basic events of Batman RIP and a general vibe for Batman.
I'm expecting them to keep the exact same characterization of that type of Batman since that is pretty much the exact type of Batman one would want in an hyper fantastical DCU like the one they're doing.
You seem to have your mind made up on OJC.
Yeah; because I did consider him, I watched Invisible Man, both seasons of Invisible Man Flanagan's Haunting series, watched several interviews of the guy, read some articles about him, watched clips of his other work, etc. to make up my mind on whether I like him for the role or not. And I just came to the conclusion that while I think he's a good actor, I also don't like him for this Batman at all. I even went through the trouble of clipping out what I thought were his best scenes to rewatch them and still the idea doesn't sound appealing to me in the slightest. He's very talented but I could not buy him as the hyper over the top hyper confident Batman from the Morrison run and the dominating authority figure Batman of the JLI comics at all. And the type of Batman I think he'd be good at playing is one that, like I said before, it's already being done currently.

Last edited:
I can think of a few different directions you could go with Batman in a fantastical setting.
And the problem is I'm not interested in a single of the ones that OJC would nail. That's why I don't like him as a choice.

What about Jane Schoenbrun as the director? With I Saw The TV Gloe they showered they can do dark, fantastical and humorous at the same time. I think WB and Gunn might be looking for a new exciting diverse voice like them.

The Brave and the Bold compared to the rest of the DC lineup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"