The Brightest Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
prev_brtst-day.jpg

Dan DiDio: I’ll just get right to the point, Alex – we’re ready to announce everything that’s coming up after BLACKEST NIGHT.

AS: Wow, really? I’m glad I brought my notebook.

DD: And I’m happy to announce that for the DCU, after the BLACKEST NIGHT will come a BRIGHTEST DAY this April. A biweekly, 26-issue series, kicking off with BRIGHTEST DAY #0.

AS: BRIGHTEST DAY – that’s major. Who’s steering the ship creatively, though?
DD: As you can imagine, we’re really excited by the great work the teams behind GREEN LANTERN and GREEN LANTERN CORPS have brought to our fans every month. And, we just don’t want to let go of that just yet. So BRIGHTEST DAY will be written by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi.

AS: And both GREEN LANTERN and GREEN LANTERN CORPS will have a BRIGHTEST DAY banner?

DD: Correct.

AS: Can you say anything about the artists on the book? I’d imagine, since it’s a biweekly book, you’d need more than one.

DD: Sorry to wake you and not give you all the answers at once, but we have to save a few for later. We have a number of wonderful artists slated to contribute to the book, which we’ll be announcing soon. We can say that Fernando Pasarin will be handling the art on BRIGHTEST DAY #0.

AS: Sounds good. And we’ll have more BRIGHTEST DAY news for you faithful readers in, oh, about two hours. In the meantime, can I go grab a cup of coffee?

DD: Sure.

Awesome title atleast lol. :awesome:

Hmm, neat symbol. Odds are I'll be grabbing this. I wonder what the threat will be in this series, seeing as how, presumably, the White Lantern will be a protagonist.

Huhhh.

I'm guessing...this is going to be a story about the new Corps status quos? It feels like Blackest Night is actually acting as some sort of prelude, now. I'm not sure how I feel about that; it almost diminishes its impact.

But then, I guess 52 didn't diminish Infinite Crisis' impact.

Okay fine, I guess I can look forward to this then. :angry:

Oh who am I kidding, the fact that I would get this was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

It's alright BeeDubya. I too am hesitant. We'll make it through this thing together. Just don't buy any "Brightest Day Aftermaths:"

It's just, you know how I was like, "There's only two issues of Blackest Night left, wtf, how's it gonna live up to itself?" with all the different stuff that seems like it should be happening, even though a lot of stuff was happening? It almost feels like that stuff is going to be "relegated" to this new series, whereas I feel like it should have been dealt with in BN itself. Whereas, the stuff that's been happening in BN like the new deputy Corps or whatever, while cool, seems like it should have been left for this new series, instead of taking up space in BN.

I dunno. I'm not making sense even in my brain.

Bi-weekly adventures of the other corps members that make out alive after Blackest Night (like Larfleeze, Indigo-1, the adventures of the Blue Lanterns) is what it seems like this'll be. Is what I hope it is, too.

Hmm, neat symbol. Odds are I'll be grabbing this. I wonder what the threat will be in this series, seeing as how, presumably, the White Lantern will be a protagonist.

Defo a neat symbol, like how it has the Black Lantern symbol as part of it, and has seven lines above it for each of the Lantern Corps (could this mean all Eight Corps will have to join to create this Brightest Day?! Or the War of Light causes the Brightest Day?!)

Also be interesting to see the White Lanterns aka Life being the protagonist. Bringing life back to the Universe, bringing back chaos and unorder?!!

Hmm... notice that there are seven prongs coming from the center of the symbol. I imagine this is for the seven corps. I enjoy looking for symbolism in the symbols.

Hey guys theres 7 prongs does that mean the 7 corps?!

TBH I don't like that symbol (the white one). It's too much like the black one. The Blue/Yellow are basically inverses of one another, and most of the other ones are pretty unique (well, star saphires is just a star, but who likes them anyway?), but this just feels meh.

Maybe it if was upside down and had the triangle facing down or something. Not just the Black Hand / Black Lantern symbol with an extra rung or two.

I agree. The whole stylistic dawn is cool, but I don't know why the BH triangle is necessary.

Almost makes it seem like the Black Lanterns won't be destroyed, but transformed rather. After all, how do you destroy Nekron? He's the living embodiment of death. Makes me think Nekron will become the White Lantern. Maybe he'll be the big-bad in Brightest Day after all. Remember the black chick Cordelia gave birth to in Angel? Maybe nekron will end up like her. Bring peace to the universe but still be a threat.

Last edited:
The downward-facing triangle actually makes more sense in the White Lantern symbol, to be honest. Triangles have been symbols of fertility and life for about as long as humankind has had symbolic art.

Also, based on other interview stuff, it seems like Brightest Day will be more of a Dark Reign-style cover-all for a larger status quo. DiDio said in another interview that it'd spread out to a lot of DC titles and that Johns and Manapul's Flash series will launch under the BD banner.

They call it "DCU: Rebirth" apparently.

sine this is a full DC book, i'm guessing it's how all the reborn characters cope with their second chance. Like Mera and Arthur back together, Martian Manhunter etc.

Also Deathstroke is good now right? Anyone read the 2 Teen Titans that were BN tie-ins?

Yeah, I wouldn't call him good though.

I really hope this is more 52 like and not an utter countdown fest. Hopefully the bi-weekly format will lead to an increase in quality.

Uhhhhhhh.

I'll have to reserve judgement till more information.

But he's not going to hunt the teen titans randomly like before to finish his sons contract.

jla_44_cvr_solicit_jpeg.jpg

AS: OK, I’m more awake now. Lunch does that to me. Are there any other DCU books that will be under the BRIGHTEST DAY banner?

DD: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA will also feature the banner, starting with April’s #44, but the characters that will be joining the team are still very much under wraps. Sorry, I’m usually not this secretive in the afternoon. Hope you understand.

AS: No worries, Dan. But I do have one more question before we wrap things up. Cool?

DD: Sure, but not right now

AS: OK, we’ll come back at 3pm. See you then.

[blackout]Kory confirmed for White Lantern rofl[/blackout]

I think that the characters that will join will be Barry, J'onn, Aquaman, and Hawkman. Superman will replace Mon-El after Superman #700, Wonder Woman will replace Donna after Wonder Woman #600, and Bruce Wayne will replace Dick Grayson sometime next year.

Last edited:
I remember people claimed Blackest Night #5 that Johns did a swerve and won't be using White Lanterns.

Well we all thought he'd make the white lanterns and the white light some deus ex that just appears and wins.

Which issue 5 kinda showed that it's not going to work that way, at all. "The Combined Light" (all 7 corps attacking) just made Nekron stronger when it was supposed to destroy him. So in that sense, he did throw us a curveball.

I like what Womp said earlier about how Nekron might make it out of this as the big bad but at the same time being 'good', like Jasmine was in Angel. I mean, when you think about it, how would they get rid of Nekron? He's the embodiment of everything that isn't alive and that doesn't have an essence or life. Johns took him from whatever he was (some "low level" villain) and turned him into this cosmic entity that's essentially as old as time itself and has been around since before anything else was. How the hell do you deal with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"