The Brightest Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is firestorm black or white? Its very distressing to me if firestorm is just drawn as white from now on. It did seem like though they found a way to blend the characters races better a few times. Also I wonder why Manhunter is back in his more human look. I don't hate his current look , its just I did appreciate his more alien look.

That being said, this was a pretty strong issue. Hawkworld seems the be the weakest right now and thats mostly because they haven't spent too much time with it.

Could not get this weeks issue was Aquagirl written well in it

Yeah, next issue promises the origin of Aqualad. Lorena'll probably be in that one.

Yeah, next issue promises the origin of Aqualad. Lorena'll probably be in that one.

Here's hoping the whole issue is dedicated to the Aquaman family, AND that we aint seeing... what was the story called again? The one where gwen stacy was preggers with Norman, and we we're worried it was happening to Aquaman too, it wasn't called one more day, anyone here brave enough to sharpen me memory? :awesome:

ah yes Sin's past. Thank ye. :) Fins past is a good title if Geoff Johns goes down that path, but i have my faith! DC wouldn't want to show Mera as some irresponsible woman, while showing Mera in Young Justice cartoon as badass woman, case in example: Brave and Bold we're asked to change their Batwoman's name since they made her a villain, to make sure the upcoming (now released) Batwoman #0 wouldn't be seen as a "villain" book by "general audience" or something.

Fins Past

Funny as hell but yea...but that better not happen. Though I do not think it would. If Johns were to build Mera up on a pedastal and make people care about her more, why would he do what they did to Gwen Stacy and scar her and make loyal fans hate her?

Fins Past
:funny:

I think Jackson Browne Hyde will be Black Manta and Mera's sister's kid, though. Purely loveless, too. Just two evil a**holes coming together to create a potential superweapon against their common enemy.

Funny as hell but yea...but that better not happen. Though I do not think it would. If Johns were to build Mera up on a pedastal and make people care about her more, why would he do what they did to Gwen Stacy and scar her and make loyal fans hate her?

Keep in mind, Gwen wasn't originally written as that pure and innocent:
gwentumblejl5.jpg

I'm gonna start asking the GF if she'd like to tumble with me at night. Should make for interesting conversation if nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next panel had Jackson saying "Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

Also, sweet digs Aquaman.

The didn't reveal her name, she was a woman Black Manta knocked up who was then kidnapped by Mera's people (at least that's what I gathered, there's a picture of Manta out of costume on a raft with a pregnant woman and some guys dragging her under), they then preformed experiments on them. The Mother didn't make it.

And Deathstorm was fairly badass this issue.

There ya go.

Mera's not the momma.

Damn it!!!

wigzm.jpg

GEOFF JOHNS PRIME: Christmas Edition, Part 1

"Brightest Day" has been a huge success both critically and commercially and has proven an awesome showcase for some characters that I know we both love, like Hawkman and Aquaman. In the early issues, you and Peter [Tomasi] were moving around a lot more giving each character one or two pages per issue, and now you're starting to give more and more pages to specific characters in some issues and then spotlighting other characters in subsequent ones. Did story drive that transition?

I think people like spending more time with the characters. But the way the story works is seeing all of the characters together and then apart and then as the story grows and becomes bigger, they need more space. And as they get more space, we start wrapping up the story and the characters come back together again for the big finale.

How much of its success do you attribute to the rapid serialization of the series, being release in a bi-weekly format?

I think it's great to have a bi-weekly book. It keeps going. We get to tell our whole story – 24 issues – in a year, which is fantastic. The pacing is much different and you can get more story every month. It's hard to do. Pete and I are working quite a bit on it and we're in the home stretch now, which we are grateful for. It's a lot of work, but I feel very fortunate to work with Pete, [editors] Eddie Berganza and Adam Schlagman on this.

Like you mentioned, all of these separate storylines are starting to ramp up and we've already passed the halfway point of the series. Ciro Espinosa wants to know if the story will be complete by the end of "Brightest Day," or does this series serve as a launchpad for some new series and what's to come in the DCU?

Well, there is a lot that happens to everybody at the end of "Brightest Day," which affects the DC Universe. It's an organic, or even jarring in a way, step for the DCU.
What I can say is that the story of the White Lantern's mission for resurrecting these twelve people ends in "Brightest Day," but the ramifications of the storyline carry on into the DCU. These are all main characters: Aquaman, Firestorm, Martian Manhunter. They're big characters.

Is there one character you feel has outshone the rest in terms of raising his or her profile to the masses?

Definitely Deadman. He's been so compelling to write. Deadman is a character that I don't think a lot of people knew. And if they did know him, they didn't know much about him. Hopefully, he finds more fans, because I think he's a tremendous character.

Any chance you'll be writing him again after "Brightest Day?"

I hope so.

Another character that's enjoyed a great amount fanfare with the release of "Brightest Day" is Aquaman. It's been nice to give him a chance to shine, because he's had some lean years of late.

It's great when people say, "I want more Aquaman." When's the last time you heard them say that?
I think Aquaman is one of DC's A-List characters, but he's got to be treated like that. He's got to be showcased like that and he's got to kick ass like Green Lantern or Batman or the entire Justice League.

And I know you love writing Mera, too.

Mera is one of the strongest female superheroes in comics, in my opinion. She's regal, powerful, smart, confident and stands on her own. She doesn't need to stand next to Aquaman to be her own character. There are plans for her post-"Brightest Day."

Sticking with the Aqua Family, you have to be pleased with Jackson Hyde, too, the new Aqualad? I loved seeing him in "Young Justice," as well.

If we were going to introduce a new Aqualad, we had to decide that we were all going to do it. It's very hard to launch a new character, so this was our first try using DC in various ways, between the comics, animated series, licensing, everything. Let's showcase him. And he has a great role in "Brightest Day" #16. There's a big revelation about who Aqualad is and where he comes from.

Sage wanted to know about Aquawar. Can you give us any teases of what we'll see and where we'll see it?

It happens in "Brightest Day" #19 and 20. And it's a culmination of what Aquaman is about to go through that results in a pretty stunning revelation for what he'll be doing next and it leads him into the finale of "Brightest Day."

I recently spoke with Alan Ritchson, who plays Aquaman on "Smallville," and he was pretty confident we were going to see an Aquaman movie in the near future. Any news on that front?

I hope we do one day, for sure. But I can't say anything more about that right now. Let the rumors keep flying!
Check back with CBR soon for the second part of our GEOFF JOHNS PRIME Christmas Special when Geoff and Jeff discuss "The Flash," "Smallville, the Batman live action arena show and everyone's favorite feline, Dex-Starr.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back