Investing in Marvel's Future.

^ Any amount. However make sure it's money you can tie up for a long time and have a goal. Never let day to day price fluctuations scare you if you're in it long term. Also if you frequent the finance boards there are bashers who try to make you scared to sell. They're on every stock board. Nobody goes through the trouble of bashing a bad stock. :)

Great advice, as usual. I learned that long ago with Marvel. Buying MVL in late 2001 and then riding it up makes tolerating fluctuations and finance board bashing quite easy at this point, however.

I love Marvel's position and new business model. What no one seems to mention is the sequel factor. WHEN Iron Man and Incredible Hulk hit big, how will their sequels be worked in to the film slate rotation? People mention that Ant-Man and Power Pack are listed but will those get green-lit over an Iron Man 2? I doubt it. Didn't Marvel clearly state that they won't produce more then two movies a year themselves ever? If Iron Man, Hulk, Cap & Thor are the first four films, wouldn't sequels and an Avengers film keep the slate occupied for years to come? Why even consider extending themselves when the old revenue streams (Spider-Man, X-Men, FF, etc.) are still rolling in and the market features those films anyway?

What a great "problem" to have. It's like having too many great starting pitchers on a MLB baseball team. How do you work all that talent in to the starting rotation?

Here is what Marvel needs to do over the next ten years... will definitely look something like this...

Iron Man 2008
The Incredible Hulk 2008
Thor 2009
Black Panther 2009
Luke Cage 2010
Captain America 2010
The Invincible Iron Man 2011
Iron Fist 2011
The Avengers 2012
Mighty Thor 2013
Heroes for Hire 2014

Here is what Marvel needs to do over the next ten years... will definitely look something like this...

Iron Man 2008 (Filming)
The Incredible Hulk 2008 (Filming)
Wolverine 2008 (Pre Production)
Captain America 2009 (Pre-production)
Thor 2009 (Pre-Production)
Magneto 2009 (Pre-production)
Fantastic Four 3 2010 (Confirmed)
Spiderman 4 2010
Young X-Men Prequel 2010
Nick Fury 2010
The Invincible Iron Man 2011
The Incredible Hulk 2 2011
Ant-Man 2011
Spiderman 5 2012
Captain America 2 2012
The Mighty Thor 2012
X-Men 4 2013
Power Pack 2013
The Avengers 2014
Spiderman 6 2015
X-Men 5 2016
The Mighty Avengers 2017
X-Men 6 2019

Thats the long term vision Marvel should have... and those are the main franchises with a lot of potential... I know Favreau wanted Iron Man to be a trilogy but unless Iron Man (2008) blows everyone out of the water I can't see how he gets his own trilogy... let it be a two part story... same thing with Hulk. Then do your Avengers. We know Spiderman is getting three more. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME with X-men so they don't botch it up again. Avengers would be costly if you are going to use the same actors from the solo franchises... but I think its worth the gamble. Then you can reboot some older franchises or continue with what you have going. Regardless, Marvel should be set for another seven years at least.

This is grand I know... but the studios will invest if they feel the profit is there... and I think its there.

Yeah. Keep in mind Marvel studios will only release 2 films per year. However the other studios with Marvel rights can do whatever they want though I'm sure they can't step on the toes on another Marvel property with an established date.

Yeah. Keep in mind Marvel studios will only release 2 films per year. However the other studios with Marvel rights can do whatever they want though I'm sure they can't step on the toes on another Marvel property with an established date.

I think they can take it to three movies... keep in mind Fox still has X-Men so they will dish out a couple more spinoffs. Nick Fury and AnT-man can be holiday or spring releases... Captain America and THor is pretty weak for one summer... this is Marvel we are talking about... also I don't like of X-Men, Spiderman, and Avengers having films coming out in the same summer.

^ Nick Fury & Ant-Man cannont be Spring releases per the contract. In fact they might be forced into only Summer releases per the finance agreement w/Merrill. Which is better for toy sales and dvd sales. Also they stated they'll only put out 2 films per year from their studio.

^ Nick Fury & Ant-Man cannont be Spring releases per the contract. In fact they might be forced into only Summer releases per the finance agreement w/Merrill. Which is better for toy sales and dvd sales. Also they stated they'll only put out 2 films per year from their studio.

Then they can release Fury and Ant-Man in 2010... I just don't know why they'd want them to go up against SPiderman and a possible FF 3.

THey won't go directly against them. They'll be spread out at least a month apart if not more. Spidey 4 is probably 2011. FF3 should be announced relatively soon.

I don't know... I am sure they still want to use the same supporting cast for Spiderman... four years might be too big a gap even if the cast and crew is replaced... they just need to find a new team by 2008 and Spidey 4 will definitely be ready for June 2010. If they wait for 2011 there will be too many comic book films that year that even Spidey wouldn't want face... BB3 might be slated for 2011... maybe even a JLA... also the Iron Man sequel will be guaranteed to be in that slot as well. 2011 is booked. Also if Sam is playing Fury I am not sold Marvel is gonna pay him to do a feature flick... they can afford it but it might be a little too high for their budget. But a Nick Fury feature flick won't be needed if he is already having cameos in these other Marvel films. Ant-Man won't do well in a 2010 slot either but not much you can do about that. You can probably fit in Namor for 2010 if they don't go with Fury... they might want a solo for him before making an appearance in an Avengers flick.

Earnings come out August 7th. I'll update this thread then on the conference call.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/07/19/marvel-month-to-month-sales-june-2007/

Marvel Month-to-Month sales: June 2007

By Paul O’Brien
After a comparatively quiet May, Marvel went all out in June. The major event of the month, WORLD WAR HULK, involved three miniseries and a slew of crossover titles. It would have been a pretty big deal on its own. But June also saw the much-hyped NEW AVENGERS #31, the start of the X-Men’s “Endangered Species” crossover, the start of ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST, and three new ongoing titles - NEW WARRIORS, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and AVENGERS CLASSIC.
On top of that, the death of Captain America is still pulling in sales, the Initiative books are continuing to benefit from the fall-out of CIVIL WAR, and Spider-Man is still in emo mode. And that’s before we even get to the other new miniseries. In short, there’s an awful lot going on right now.
Once again, Marvel dominated DC in terms of direct market share, but this month’s margin is outrageously wide. In units, Marvel won by 48% to 29% - in dollars, 44% to 27%. That margin reflects the fact that Marvel are having a good year in the direct market, and DC… well, DC aren’t.
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/07/19/marvel-month-to-month-sales-june-2007/
Click on the link above to see in great detail comparisons for all titles month to month, year to year. Great breakdown.

"Once again, Marvel dominated DC in terms of direct market share, but this month’s margin is outrageously wide. In units, Marvel won by 48% to 29% - in dollars, 44% to 27%. That margin reflects the fact that Marvel are having a good year in the direct market, and DC… well, DC aren’t."

:woot:

Marvel Entertainment Inc. Earnings Conference Call (Q2 2007)
Scheduled to start Tue, Aug 7, 2007, 9:00 am Eastern

Check back at the scheduled start time for
the audio link to appear in this spot.
Add This Event To Your Yahoo! Calendar
After the event has finished, the audio will be available
from this page until Fri, Aug 8, 2008

http://www.bunkershot.com/2007/viewstory.cfm?ID=4780

New licensing deal for Junior Golf Clubs and accessories.

"The new licensing deal includes many other golf equipment products such as beginning golfers' golf bags, towels, ball, tees, gloves, hats/visors and water bottles."

I hope this means more then just Spidey kiddie stuff. MANY adult golfers would love to add Marvel stuff to their bags, me included. Who wouldn't want to strap on a Hulk golf glove, grip it and rip it?!?

Marvel To Participate at Thomas Weisel Partners Consumer Conference, Wednesday, September 26th at 10:20 a.m. EDT
Tuesday September 18, 7:03 am ET - Marvel "Fireside Chat" Available Via Webcast -
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL - News), a leading global character-based entertainment and licensing company, today announced that its Vice Chairman, Peter Cuneo, will participate at the Thomas Weisel Partners Consumer Conference on Wednesday, September 26th. Mr. Cuneo will lead a "Fireside Chat" regarding Marvel, starting at 10:20 a.m. EDT. The conference is taking place in New York City at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

Live Webcast and Replay:
To listen to the Fireside Chat webcast, please visit http://www.marvel.com/company/webcasts.htm. An archived version of the webcast will be available at the same location for thirty days.
About Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
With a library of over 5,000 high-profile characters built over more than sixty years of comic book publishing, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in licensing, entertainment (via Marvel Studios), publishing (via Marvel Comics) and toys, with emphasis on feature films, home DVD, consumer products, video games, action figures and role-playing toys, television and promotions. Marvel's strategy is to leverage its franchises in a growing array of opportunities around the world. For more information visit www.marvel.com.

Jaffoni & CollinsRichard Land or David Collins, 212-835-8500[email protected]Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc.

Marvel To Participate at Thomas Weisel Partners Consumer Conference, Wednesday, September 26th at 10:20 a.m. EDT
Tuesday September 18, 7:03 am ET
- Marvel "Fireside Chat" Available Via Webcast -
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL - News), a leading global character-based entertainment and licensing company, today announced that its Vice Chairman, Peter Cuneo, will participate at the Thomas Weisel Partners Consumer Conference on Wednesday, September 26th. Mr. Cuneo will lead a "Fireside Chat" regarding Marvel, starting at 10:20 a.m. EDT. The conference is taking place in New York City at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

Live Webcast and Replay: To listen to the Fireside Chat webcast, please visit http://www.marvel.com/company/webcasts.htm. An archived version of the webcast will be available at the same location for thirty days.
Wake up. :)

Was there anything said or hinted about the second 2009 movie? They better get a move on if they want to get something going before the strike. I really hope that they go with Cap. One problem could be that in 2009 there will be Watchmen, the Spirit, JLA, Thor and possibly Shazam. With Cap it could be SUperhero overload. Myabe that lends itself to Nick Fury instead. Hope we will find out soon.

This stock has been on fire lately. Approaching 27 again. 2008 is a pivotal year for this company.

Yeah, Marvel's going to do great in 2008 if Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk are successful. And from the looks of it, they will be.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071009/20071009005216.html?.v=1

Spider-Man Merchandising L.P. Announces First Wave of Licensing Partners for New Animated Series
Tuesday October 9, 7:00 am ET
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Key Category Partners Including Hasbro, Wear Me Apparel, Jay Franco, Giant Merchandising and Fast Forward To Create Products Inspired By New Spider-Man Animated Series Set to Debut on Kids' WB! on the CW Network in 2008

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The latest adaptation of Marvel's ever-popular Spider-Man is already casting a web over the licensing industry as Spider-Man Merchandising L.P. - the limited partnership between Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL - News) - unveiled today a blue chip list of partners who will serve as the foundation for the merchandising program supporting the all-new Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. The highly-anticipated series will debut in early 2008 as part of the Kids' WB! line-up on The CW Network, the No. 1 rated Saturday morning kids broadcast slate.
ADVERTISEMENT

Spider-Man Merchandising, L.P. has already attracted some of the biggest names in key categories - ranging from toys and apparel to domestics and publishing - to develop product lines inspired by The Spectacular Spider-Man. Leading the way are such industry heavyweights as: Hasbro (master toy licensee), Wear Me Apparel (master apparel), IMT (sporting goods), Fashion Accessory Bazaar (back-to-school and storage), Bendon Publishing (publishing), DecoPac (cake decoration), Giant Merchandising (t-shirts), Berkshire Fashion (headwear, cold weather and hosiery), Fast Forward (back-to-school), and Jay Franco (domestics). Spider-Man Merchandising, L.P. is continuing to work on expanding the program with additional licensees.

The Spectacular Spider-Man picks up the original web-slinger's mythology at the beginning of his hero's journey as a not-so-typical 16-year-old entering his junior year of high school. Peter Parker must conceal his secret identity, confront the multi-leveled pressures of teenage life at home and school, and all the while combat even bigger Super Villains than ever before. Based on Marvel Entertainment's popular Super Hero, The Spectacular Spider-Man is produced by Culver Entertainment, a Sony Pictures Television Company.

"The early feedback on The Spectacular Spider-Man has been phenomenal with licensees quick to embrace the series," said Paul Gitter, President of Consumer Products for North America, Marvel Entertainment for Spider-Man Merchandising L.P. "Our goal is to create a merchandising program and entertainment event that aims to fuel the on-going demand for the Spider-Man franchise."

Marvel and Sony Pictures Television recently announced that they have green-lit Culver Entertainment to commence production on an additional 13 half-hour episodes for the series - bringing the current series run to 26 episodes. A major marketing effort by Kids WB!, Sony Pictures Television and Marvel designed to maximize consumer awareness of the series and drive tune-in is already underway.

About Spider-Man Merchandising, LP

Spider-Man Merchandising, LP, the limited partnership comprised of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. and Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc., oversees the licensing and merchandising activities for Columbia Pictures' Spider-Man(TM) feature films and animated series all based on the Marvel character.

Marvel Entertainment Inc. Earnings Conference Call (Q3 2007)
Scheduled to start Mon, Nov 5, 2007, 9:00 am Eastern

Check back at the scheduled start time for
the audio link to appear in this spot.
Add This Event To Your Yahoo! Calendar
After the event has finished, the audio will be available
from this page until Thu, Nov 6, 2008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"