The Amazing Spider-Man The case against Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker

Not always. There were a number of versions of Hamlet before Shakespeare wrote his. Originally Hamlet didn't die (among some other things that are radically different), but his death now is something no one would change because of what Shakespeare did with the story.

Sounds more like King Arthur and Beowulf than Spider-Man. If there was one undisputed original version, a version that is still very much accessible, I'd have to reassess my position.

Sounds more like King Arthur and Beowulf than Spider-Man. If there was one undisputed original version, a version that is still very much accessible, I'd have to reassess my position.
Regarding Spider-man, sure. Still, as I said, both Raimi and Webb made major changes to the story and characters.

Raimi's films botched Gwen,but Webb looks to be doing the same with MJ. Neither has used the girls as originally intended (as "friendly rivals").The problem being both films were set up with the leading lady being crowned God's gift to Peter,instead of being an ensemble film with both actresses introduced at the same time and getting equal billing.

I still dream of a day when Marvel gets the rights and makes Spidey "the Marvel way....":csad:

The thing is IF Marvel ever gets the rights back they'll have to separate themselves from the Raimi and Webb versions which means they can't resemble the comics exactly the way the previous franchises did.

Raimi's films botched Gwen,but Webb looks to be doing the same with MJ. Neither has used the girls as originally intended (as "friendly rivals").The problem being both films were set up with the leading lady being crowned God's gift to Peter,instead of being an ensemble film with both actresses introduced at the same time and getting equal billing.

I still dream of a day when Marvel gets the rights and makes Spidey "the Marvel way....":csad:

What's the real difference between Raimi's and Webb's Spider-man movies and a Marvel take on the character? Marvel movies have had huge changes and the same kind of humor so far.

The thing is IF Marvel ever gets the rights back they'll have to separate themselves from the Raimi and Webb versions which means they can't resemble the comics exactly the way the previous franchises did.

They'll probably do like they did on Hulk and just do a flashback origin.(Personally,I think Raimi's version was 95% there,but I'd still pay to see it done 100% right) But from there,they could do a more faithful concept of the relationships between the 3 of them.

Good point. Previous Marvel movies have had big changes in their characters. And regardless, Raimi and Webb did make changes but they both were somehow able to bring some aspect of the comic version Peter Parker that we all love.

What's the real difference between Raimi's and Webb's Spider-man movies and a Marvel take on the character? Marvel movies have had huge changes and the same kind of humor so far.

I got be honest, I agree with this. I feel like Mark Webb is doing with the Spider-Man movies is the same thing Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau and other Marvel directors did with their perspective Marvel movies and only with Spider-Man and his characters and univers(only with the Marvel Movies they had constant references to S.H.I.E.L.D. and Stark Industries/Iron Man with a little other hints at the super soldier serum and aliens/Asgard instead of just Oscorp). I feel both handled the Spider-Man origin pretty accurately only with a few twists and changes(Raimi had organic webbing and MJ be the more or less girl next door stereotype but Mark Webb had Peter learn WGPCGR in a different way and not have Peter be a wrestler or TV Show performer, etc)

As for Emma Stone portrayal of Gwen to me feels like a combination of Ultimate MJ, Classic Gwen and Spectacular Spider-Man Gwen, a bit of Sean McKeever Gwen(which I got to admit even though they got similarities, that's a little reaching on my part) and Emma Stone's natural charisma. I got to admit I do enjoy Peter and Gwen relationship more in TASM than I did Peter or MJ or even Peter and Gwen in the Raimi films series.

In fact to me, what Mark Webb is doing with Peter and Gwen's relationship is what the Iron Man movies did with Tony and Pepper, Thor or Jane Foster, Steve and Peggy, Louis Leterrier did with the Incredible Hulk and Betty, Sam Raimi did with Peter and MJ like you said or how any superhero deals with a certain relationship in their specific film. I doubt Marvel will doing anything different with Peter and MJ or Gwen's relationship than what Mark or Sam did(At most we'll get a Spectacular Spider-Man animated series type relationship between Peter/MJ/Gwen or what happened between Howard/Steve/Peggy in First Avenger). Like spideyluv2 says Webb and Raimi both got aspects of Peter and their respective Spider-Man universe pretty spot on despite visual differences and some ultimately minor changes.

Spectacular didn't make an effort to separate the origin from the movie, and it ended up being alright.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a remake of uncle ben's death from 2002 in the third reboot film.

I think the most important thing Marvel would do differently is to have the series be more open ended.Raimi's films wrote themselves into a corner when they breezed through 30 years of Peter's development in 3 pictures.Webb's looks to be ending at 3 too.Marvel would sign the Spidey actor to a 9 picture deal and progress the story slowly over time.No fear of running out of time to finish the storylines or trying to cram as many villains as you can in.

I think the most important thing Marvel would do differently is to have the series be more open ended.Raimi's films wrote themselves into acorner when they breezed through 30 years of Peter's development in 3 pictures.Webb's looks to be ending at 3 too.Marvel would sign the Spidey actor to a 9 picture deal and progress the story slowly over time.No fear of running out of time to finish the storylines or trying to cram as many villains as you can in.

Actually from all the interviews, it seemed like they're trying to create a more expansive Spider-Man universe building up from Mark Webb's Spider-Man films. I do hope Andrew and this specific crew doesn't just stop showing up in one film after the third film.

I think the most important thing Marvel would do differently is to have the series be more open ended.Raimi's films wrote themselves into a corner when they breezed through 30 years of Peter's development in 3 pictures.Webb's looks to be ending at 3 too.Marvel would sign the Spidey actor to a 9 picture deal and progress the story slowly over time.No fear of running out of time to finish the storylines or trying to cram as many villains as you can in.

It sounds like what they're doing now. Mary Jane hasn't been introduced, same with the Daily Bugle and Jameson. Seems to me they're saving a lot for later. And this is not a Marvel studios movie. On the other hand, Iron Man 3 made us think Tony Stark was quitting.

Actually from all the interviews, it seemed like they're trying to create a more expansive Spider-Man universe building up from Mark Webb's Spider-Man films. I do hope Andrew and this specific crew doesn't just stop showing up in one film after the third film.
Yeah, this series isn't ending with 3 films. There is a story arc that was introduced in TASM1 which will probably be concluded by the end of TASM3, but the universe is still expanding from there.

I have a feeling both Webb and Garfield are going to call it quits after ASM3.

Then the studio will recast and continue the story instead of rebooting.

As of now,they seem to be touting Venom & Sinister Six movies.No real indication that Spidey will be involved.(although,I don't see why he wouldn't be)

I have a feeling both Webb and Garfield are going to call it quits after ASM3.

Marc Webb confirmed that TASM3 would be the last movie he directs, but he may return just as a creative consultant. Personally, I hope he stays as producer, but we'll see. Andrew Garfield probably won't return, but we'll see.

Then the studio will recast and continue the story instead of rebooting.

Agreed. Sony isn't going to reboot anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"