• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Batman '89 The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

GoogleMe94

Sidekick
Reaction score
this thread is obviously about praiseing elfmans fabulous work, not just his amazing Batman music, but also all of his music, or at least the other movie scores he has done that you might also love and enjoy. i just recently off itunes downloaded his score for Mission:Impossible which is great, you should check it out if you havent. heres a sample of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRb003Ddx2A

and i also just love his score for that movie Scrooged, actually. the one with bill murray. i love the intro, even as a kid i loved it. here it is incase your curious. great movie btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTm6o92Aa6o

i also love his score for edward scissorhands, with a doubt my favorite score by him. heres a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeerK4awKtY

*sniff* love it.

Wow, I didn't know Elfman did the score for M:I

He's definitely one of the best in the business, I'd say second only to John William's. His work is always great.

I noticed the Edward Scissorhands theme is very similar to the Batman Returns score in the low notes.

I wished Elfman scored The Simpsons Movie. He did compose the theme after all.

yeah that makes sense. instead Zimmer did it. ugh, zimmer, back away from elfmans genious!! in a way i wish elfman would bring his darkness to the newer batman films, he has a sinister sound that i feel is perfect for batman.

Danny Elfmans Batman score is genius. the BB score was too bland and boring.

I noticed the Edward Scissorhands theme is very similar to the Batman Returns score in the low notes.

i think alot of Edward Sciossorhands rubbed off on Batman Returns, which for me wasnt a badthing, because i love burtons style anyways. his Returns score actually outdoes his B89 score in many ways, more thematic.

the edward scissorhands score is awesome. definitley some of elfmans best work ever. i love the characters themes more in the returns score as well. especially catwomans.

The '89 score is as good as it gets for me. Yeah, Returns was more gothic, but wasn't quite right for a Batman film. Don't get me wrong, Elfman did great work on that film, but the '89 score was epic.

The iconic march isn't the only great point from the '89 film. Elfman's love theme was excellent in that film. :up:

And as for Edward Scissorhands....well, that's as good as it gets. The music for that movie is so beautiful, and it would be a completely different film without it.

totally agree, i am amazed when i listen to it, its mesmerizing. that a human being can create such beauty.

love theme? it was just Princes music made into a movie theme. it wasnt elfmans original idea, i dont think.

the Returns score had more character to it, mainly because there were 3 different themes: Batmans, Catwomans, and Penguins. i think elfman tried to create a joker theme (its featured a bit in "waltz to the death") but elfman has admiteed that it never really panned out. and elfman really did an amazing job with conveying all 3 characters musically. Catwomans high pitched violin shrieks, penguins snobby yet silently gothic anthem, and Batmans triuphant trumpety march. thats alot to do in just one film, but elfman pulled it off. i totally get why B89 is more liked, its got less of that gothic/boys choir sound and more booming, trumpety comic book heroic sound. they both have there strengths and weaknesses.

the finale pt.2 is so beautifully scored. probably one of my favorite tracks on the whole CD.

totally agree, i am amazed when i listen to it, its mesmerizing. that a human being can create such beauty.

love theme? it was just Princes music made into a movie theme. it wasnt elfmans original idea, i dont think.

Really? I would think it was the other way around, that Prince used Elfman's love theme in the song, like Celine Dion used James Horner's theme from Titanic.

Edit: Maybe we're not on the same page...I don't mean I liked a love song by Elfman from Batman. I liked the love theme in his score, which he wrote.

^me too! Phieffer and Keaton had such great chemistry together.

Really? I would think it was the other way around, that Prince used Elfman's love theme in the song, like Celine Dion used James Horner's theme from Titanic.

Edit: Maybe we're not on the same page...I don't mean I liked a love song by Elfman from Batman. I liked the love theme in his score, which he wrote.

well, by "love theme", im taking you mean that the music when bruce and vicky are talking in the batcave, before he "goes to work". that is Princes "scandalous".

I loved the Gothic anthem in Batman Returns, the score in BR was very majestic. My only regret was that we didn't get a chorus like that of the opening of Mask of the Phantasm! Now that was perfect.

I also liked the little Joker waltz from B'89, it wasn't super memorable or anything like the main theme, but it was pretty fun, "carnival" music :joker:

One thing I liked about the SNES Batman Returns -- it actually had the Elfman score. Most of the other Batman-based games (the ones based on the movies) had original music, but the composers at Konami went the extra mile to completely recreate the atmosphere of the movie :up: .

One thing I liked about the SNES Batman Returns -- it actually had the Elfman score. Most of the other Batman-based games (the ones based on the movies) had original music, but the composers at Konami went the extra mile to completely recreate the atmosphere of the movie :up: .

yeah ive seen the game on youtube and watched it, and i was like, wow they used almost all the movie film music! and believe me, i know the B89 and BR soundtracks by heart, so i was so pleasantly surprised to hear alot of the movie ques used in the actual game. i grew up playing a Sega Genesis, not a SNES, sadly. but i would love to get a SNES just to play the BR game, from what ive seen it looks really awsome.

Elfman is and always will be my favorite film composer, and not just for batman (though his batman score is my favorite) his music gives me chills down my spine, even if he is a little fruity.

yeah ive seen the game on youtube and watched it, and i was like, wow they used almost all the movie film music! and believe me, i know the B89 and BR soundtracks by heart, so i was so pleasantly surprised to hear alot of the movie ques used in the actual game. i grew up playing a Sega Genesis, not a SNES, sadly. but i would love to get a SNES just to play the BR game, from what ive seen it looks really awsome.
you should definitly try picking that game up sometime. it is a great piece of nostalgia and it is very faithful to the film. plus it is pretty fun.catwoman was always the hardest boss as a kid.

you should definitly try picking that game up sometime. it is a great piece of nostalgia and it is very faithful to the film. plus it is pretty fun.catwoman was always the hardest boss as a kid.

The SNES BR game is definetly better than the one for Genesis, and much easier too.

yeah, Konami did a fantastic job w/ all their SNES games.

I feel his Mars Attacks! score is tremendously underrated it inspires me to draw wacky cartoons. Beetlejuice & Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Big Fish also some of his best with Tim Burton. Also Darkman, Dick Tracy, The Frightners and his work on Good Will Hunting which was refreshingly different from his usual. Elfman is one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"