The death of old fashion action movies...

what makes the most money. if R rated action movies would make blockbuster money they would make them.

MPAA doesnt help with their PG13 . i still think that if a 10 year old kid would see a head cut down with a sword.............that he would not have a bad childhood.

they are the current "hot trend" right now....in this genre, that's how it usually is...look at what happened with "Die Hard" I saw an interview with Joel Silver and he talked about how once Die Hard got released, every action movie pitch was trying to be the next Die Hard....the system is set up that filmmakers are so scared of failing, any originality thrown out there has an uphill battle to fight

I miss the old school action flicks. That could be why I enjoyed The Losers and A-Team so much. Seems like a lot of people have lost interest. I'm hoping The Expendables change that. If not...I've added plenty of action flicks to my Netflix instant queue. =P

I miss the old school action flicks. That could be why I enjoyed The Losers and A-Team so much. Seems like a lot of people have lost interest. I'm hoping The Expendables change that. If not...I've added plenty of action flicks to my Netflix instant queue. =P

Taste of the audience changes...Westerns used to be a dominant genre, not so much anymore...for a while it was disaster flicks, stuff like Towering Inferno, Airport, The Poseidon Adventure..then came gritty action movies like Death Wish, Dirty Harry...stylized martial arts flicks came along...

in a couple years, it might be some other genre all together

Yeah....and one day, audiences will get sick of superheroes as well. Let's hope that's AFTER the Avengers and not before....

Yeah....and one day, audiences will get sick of superheroes as well. Let's hope that's AFTER the Avengers and not before....

I don't have any worries about the Avengers bombing. I truly believe that movie is going to be one of the largest event films in movie history. People can roll their eyes at that statement but how often has there been a film that combined characters from past movies, if ever?

You also have to take in the fact that reviews and BO are entirely seperate and don't always go hand in hand. The movie can get subpar reviews from the critics yet the GA most likely won't care and still go to check it out, it's happened to numerous blockbusters in the past.

I think the day people get tired or bored of Superhero films will be after all the main 1st tier and 2nd tier characters have had their films and sequels. When Marvel starts to bring out 3rd and 4th tier characters to the big screen, I don't think a good amount of them can hold their own film, or at least a really solid one that the GA will take seriously.

In regards to me talking about tier characters, my view might be different from others. Even before the movie I always considered Iron Man a tier 2 character, I never believed he was tier 3 like a lot of others were saying when the first film came out, so hopefully that gives you a rough idea of what characters might be considered tier 3 in my view.

As someone already mentioned about the rating system. I think a lot of the watered down PG-13 ratings is what kept away a fair amount of the older generations who grew up watching R rated action films.

Last edited:
maybe they will get sick of them because of the Avengers :)

Die Hard was made in 1987. After 1987 there were lots of great action movies made. Van Damme and Seagal were just starting and had lots of success. And Arnold started to get his big budgets just then.

All until the mid-90s. I think of Eraser as the last classic action movie with big budet.

I think Con Air would've been the last. Either way, they both rock. :woot:

I don't have any worries about the Avengers bombing. I truly believe that movie is going to be one of the largest event films in movie history. People can roll their eyes at that statement but how often has there been a film that combined characters from past movies, if ever?

Freddy Vs. Jason

:woot:

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, and various Abbott and Costello movies as well. The novelty factor probably will help, but I'll be surprised if The Avengers does a whole lot better than Iron Man as I can't imagine that the audiences for Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man don't overlap significantly.

I do think that there's been a general failure of Hollywood to figure out how market "smaller" scale action movies. They know how to market the big budget tentpoles where large areas of real estate blow up, but stuff like Taken seem more like accidents than the result of planning or marketing. Hollywood is good at selling spectacle currently, not so good at selling story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"