The Dinosaur Thread

I do not like how we have to call the Brontosaurus Apatosaurus. I hope a huge similar-looking dinosaur is discovered so it could be called Brontosaurus.

I heard not too long ago that chickens are descendants of the T-rex.

Thats pretty depressing. What a downgrade. :csad:

Proof:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2007-04-12-trex-protein_N.htm
T-Rex-Sue1.jpg

equals
chicken31.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone see the thing on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago where a scientist lady poured acid on a dino bone and saw blood vessels?

They said in 5 years they could clone a dino using a chicken.
damn, I wanted to see that but the NFL game went long and I changed the channel. sigh.

And about the Rex Hunter/Scavenger debate. I think he was a Hunter and a scavenger. I creature thaat big would not be ***** and only look around for dead animals. But I bet a Rex wouldn't pass up a meal...so...

Last edited:
Did anyone see the thing on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago where a scientist lady poured acid on a dino bone and saw blood vessels?

They said in 5 years they could clone a dino using a chicken.

That was what the papers said but it was not true. All they found was Dinosaur collagen, which structurally resembled a chicken. There was no DNA found in it, the closest they came was just fossilized exteriors of cells like osteoblasts that built bone, and others.

There is absolutely no way they could ever bring back a Dinosaur. DNA simply cannot last that long.

That was what the papers said but it was not true. All they found was Dinosaur collagen, which structurally resembled a chicken. There was no DNA found in it, the closest they came was just fossilized exteriors of cells like osteoblasts that built bone, and others.

There is absolutely no way they could ever bring back a Dinosaur. DNA simply cannot last that long.

Well that sucks, I hoping to one day see a T-Rex chicken.

Has anyone played Jurrasic The Hunted? True it's no Medal of Honor or even Turok, but at the price it's a fun guitly pleasure type game, esp. for Dino lovers. Lots of nods to Jurrasic Park, for example there's an avievement called "Clever Girl".

sq46fa.jpg

I thought that the premise wasn't to CLONE the dinosaur, but rather to turn on and turn off certain genes during development in order to give the chicken a more T-Rex-like appearance and features. I didn't follow the story too closely, though.

Dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets are a step in that direction, no?

3319232137_26ced7b113.jpg

I thought that the premise wasn't to CLONE the dinosaur, but rather to turn on and turn off certain genes during development in order to give the chicken a more T-Rex-like appearance and features. I didn't follow the story too closely, though.

There were scientists who said it was possible and they published a few reports in scholarly journals showing some rudimentary tests. From what I remember, they were able to manipulate the genes of a chicken to add more vertebrae and grow a tail. They could also do the same for adding teeth and removing feathers and adding scales, etc, etc, but to do so would take tens of millions of dollars of research and really have no medical benefits to science other than to just satisfy curiosity. Maybe some rich entrepreneur in the future will finance it?

As for the T-rex collagen, when the article was released the press ate it up and used that fake notion to garner hits to their websites and sell publications. Creationists even publicized that because they found soft tissue it proved that humans and dinosaurs coexisted.

In actuality they just found protein that made up collagen and what made up blood vessels, some chemical studies revealed the presence of heme (which makes up hemoglobin in blood cells) and electron microscopy revealed some fossilized osteoblasts near the bone. They have also found fossilized blood in mosquitos trapped in resonite (fossilized amber), but even that was so degraded, it was just an imprint of blood, there was nothing left inside. We'll never know what a dinosaur actually looked like, nor ever see a walking, breathing T-Rex.

I was watching Jurassic Park and one of my favorite bits is when Dr. Grant terrorizes the kid who called the Raptor a giant turkey:

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, *WHOOSH* from the other two 'raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say... no no. He slashes at you here... or here... or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So you know... try to show a little respect.

Those theories are probably inaccurate now, but when Sam Neill says it, you believe every word of it. lol

The only thing that I'd say is inaccurate is what I'd have said was inaccurate when the movie came out. The whole "visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move." Everything else seems reasonable.

I was watching Jurassic Park and one of my favorite bits is when Dr. Grant terrorizes the kid who called the Raptor a giant turkey:

Those theories are probably inaccurate now, but when Sam Neill says it, you believe every word of it. lol
Indeed, I love that bit :up:

Dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets are a step in that direction, no?

3319232137_26ced7b113.jpg

I saw some at walmart a couple years back., they were delicious!

kept the packaging...but i cant find it now...they need to sell those again

Interesting. Who would've thought that Brontoburgers were poultry?

An apatosaurus burger wouldn't be bad. Must be really tough meat though considering their muscle fibers were as big as chicken tenders.

Found this interesting scientific look at Dinosaur meat:

"Perhaps the thread about eating dino meat can be turned into something scientific. Ostrich meat is dark and "steak-like" because of the preponderance of fatigue-resistance, "red" muscle fibers, highly aerobic and signifying a creature that is very active. Croc meat, especially the tail, looks more like chicken breast or white fish because the muscle fibers are more of the fatigue-prone, anaerobic, glycogen-dependent, "white" type. Those of us who consider dinos as highly active would expect a theropod steak to be more like bear meat than chicken, red, juicy, and flavorful."

James M. Norton, Ph.D., University of New England, College of Osteopathic Medicine

Oh thank Odin. I'd been losing sleep over that.

To be fair, it wasn't entirely conclusive before. This is essentially the last nail in the coffin for the other hypotheses, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"