The Dinosaur Thread

For the most part Horner knows his stuff, but he is a little full of himself at times. He said himself that he requested Steven Spielberg put in the scene in The Lost World where a lookalike of Robert T. Bakker (another well known Dinosaur expert) gets eaten, because Horner has had an ongoing rivalry / feud with him over their differing (and often controversial) theories. Some of their disagreements seem downright petty to me though, like whether or not the T-Rex had motion-based vision. All we have is the thing's friggin' skull, so it's not like we know how the optical center of its brain was wired...

Also, Jack Horner is in the "T-Rex was a scavenger" camp which I do not agree with. That thing was built for running, and considering its size I doubt it was running away. When it comes to the T-Rex, little Jack Horner can go sit in his corner as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Last edited:
For the most part Horner knows his stuff, but he is a little full of himself at times. He said himself that he requested Steven Spielberg put in the scene in The Lost World where a lookalike of Robert T. Bakker (another well known Dinosaur expert) gets eaten, because Horner has had an ongoing rivalry / feud with him over their differing (and often controversial) theories. Some of their disagreements seem downright petty to me though, like whether or not the T-Rex had motion-based vision. All we have is the thing's friggin' skull, so it's not like we know how the optical center of its brain was wired...

Also, Jack Horner is in the "T-Rex was a scavenger" camp which I do not agree with. That thing was built for running, and considering its size I doubt it was running away. When it comes to the T-Rex, little Jack Horner can go sit in his corner as far as I'm concerned. ;)

i agree with this too. this is where I think horner is a bit wrong

I loved Dinos as a kid. Collected weekly magazines (called "Dinosaurs" believe it or not :awesome:). First I-don't-know-how-many issues came with parts to a glow in the dark T-Rex skeleton. Unfortunately I missed the issue with the spine, leaving me with the skull (Which I just found on ebay!) arms, some of the ribcage, legs, and tail. That sucked.:csad:

But yeah, dinosaurs are awesome.:woot:

The science behind the resonance chamber theory is very sound, and I've seen demonstrations that show it could work, but still... A biological flame thrower would be way cooler. :(

A biological grenade launcher would be even cooler :oldrazz:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lf1xLpKLVZ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lf1xLpKLVZ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Holy ****, I had this one! I cannot tell you how many times I watched it when I was little.

ah, oh well then.

Man, I hope they figure out a way to clone dinos in our lifetime. I hope it's a long neck dino. I'd pay every cent I have to see such a creature.

you watched jurassic park....HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING!!! :cmad::cmad:
:woot::woot::woot:

I've said it before, but cloning dinosaurs would be cruel. Our environment is completely different now than it was at the end of the Cretaceous, let alone the prime of the Jurassic or Triassic periods. They would quickly fall victim to various bacteria and viruses that didn't exist back then and they therefore would have no defense against them.

I've said it before, but cloning dinosaurs would be cruel. Our environment is completely different now than it was at the end of the Cretaceous, let alone the prime of the Jurassic or Triassic periods. They would quickly fall victim to various bacteria and viruses that didn't exist back then and they therefore would have no defense against them.
Dinosaurs were around for over 100 million years. I think they could take it.

I doubt they could. Diseases have had the last 65 million years to evolve, dinosaurs haven't, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

no, they really couldnt. everything was different back then, the air, the water, the environment...complete 180 on what we have now.

I doubt they could. Diseases have had the last 65 million years to evolve, dinosaurs haven't, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Remember, The Dinosaurs became extinct because of a 1 in a million shot from a meteor. If it had missed, Would the Dinos STILL be around? I think they could. When the world went into a ice age, the Dinos would Migrate south...

Heck, I bet they'd still be around today if it wasn't for the meteor.

Who's to say that (1) the meteor theory is correct? (2) the Ice Age would've occurred without it?

Who's to say that (1) the meteor theory is correct? (2) the Ice Age would've occurred without it?
1. Most scientists agree, fossil records show traces of material that could come from a meteor. And there's a crater in the yukutan peninsula dated around 65 million years old.

2. After the....event. The world changed alot. Temps naver went back up to what they were before, Pretty much all forests in the world were gone, plants gone. Everything. The world was barren for many years. That's a good kick in the ass at Mother Earth. it takes a while to recover.......so who knows.

Here's another question, if Dinos were to survive, and continue to advacne to present day, would humans be able to evolve along side? Mammals were the Dinos ***** while they existed, so what's to say the mammals would advance?

Looking at the way that dinosaurs in the Cretaceous period evolved some of the most impressive physical adaptions in the animal kingdom, I think mammals bigger than a mid-sized dog wouldn't have much of a chance. Rodents and primitive carnivores (like mustelids) would likely have been the only variety of mammal around.

Looking at the way that dinosaurs in the Cretaceous period evolved some of the most impressive physical adaptions in the animal kingdom, I think mammals bigger than a mid-sized dog wouldn't have much of a chance. Rodents and primitive carnivores (like mustelids) would likely have been the only variety of mammal around.
Indeed, so instead of Humans typing on the Hype it would be Velociraptors typing on the hype :awesome:

I doubt that Velociraptors would've created computers, regardless of their intelligence. They had physical capabilities that humans don't, so they had less of an incentive to build tools to defend themselves, which is what presumably started the development of technology.

I disagree with Horner as well with regard to the T-rex scavenger theory, but I think Bakker is more of a showboater than Horner overall.

BTW, I hate the current paleo-artists' trend of sticking hypothetical feathers on every single theropod dinosaur reconstruction these days. Sure, there have been fossils of feather imprints or nodes which might have held feathers on certain smaller dinos, but that doesn't mean every slender bipedal carnivore had them.

I've always found the fact that the "bird-hipped" dinosaurs were in fact the least bird-like kinda funny.

I believe in Dinosaurs unlike some people in the world. The bones are there after all. That being said, I would piss myself silly if I saw one via Jurassic Park: Lost World walking in the street.

:huh: if Dino's ate a zombie....would it turn into a Dino-zombie...or are Dino's too smart to eat Zombies?

Nah, a Zombie's a walking husk of rotting flesh, a dino wouldn't eat it. Now if a zombie bit a dino...that's a whole 'nother ball game

I disagree with Horner as well with regard to the T-rex scavenger theory, but I think Bakker is more of a showboater than Horner overall.

BTW, I hate the current paleo-artists' trend of sticking hypothetical feathers on every single theropod dinosaur reconstruction these days. Sure, there have been fossils of feather imprints or nodes which might have held feathers on certain smaller dinos, but that doesn't mean every slender bipedal carnivore had them.

sha-blam
tyrannosaurusrexfeatherz.jpg

Feathered T-rex.

Dinosaurs were the greatest thing to ever exist on this planet, and they fascinate me to know end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"