The Documentary Thread

gwynplaine

L'homme qui rit.
Reaction score
Often reality can be stranger than fiction.
I really enjoy a good documentary.
I'd like to hear some of your favorites and why.
Here are a few of mine. (I couldn't find a similar thread but if there is please merge. Thank you.)

_ When We Were Kings. "Rumble in the Jungle". Ali at his greatest.
_ Hearts of Darkness. Almost as crazy as the film that birthed it.
_ Exit Through the Gift Shop. An iconoclastic look and deconstruction of the Street Art Movement.
_ My Best Fiend. When Klaus met Werner.

I'll think of more later.

_ Anvil: The Story of Anvil. Very moving doc about a Heavy Metal Band.
_ This is Spinal Tap. Very funny "Mockumentay" about a fake Heavy Metal Band.
_ Catfish. Where does truth ends and fiction begins? Hard to tell and interesting nonetheless.

Don't watch a whole lot of documentaries, but the latest ones I've happen to catch is Bigger, Faster, Stronger* and Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods.

Don't watch a whole lot of documentaries, but the latest ones I've happen to catch is Bigger, Faster, Stronger* and Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods.
I was interested in this one. Did you like it, Tron Bonne?

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. I kind of expected more of a 'Steroids are bad, kids' kind of film, but it has an interesting shift on the subject as the film goes on.

Guns, Germs and Steel is a really good one.

I'm a big Frazetta Fan. I have to check this one out.

You can either find it seperately on it's own...or it comes with the special edition of FIRE AND ICE.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. I kind of expected more of a 'Steroids are bad, kids' kind of film, but it has an interesting shift on the subject as the film goes on.
Thanks.

You can either find it seperately on it's own...or it comes with the special edition of FIRE AND ICE.
Thanks for the info too.

I just watched Waking Sleeping Beauty.

Anyone with an interest in animation and specifically Disney should check this film out. It's about the Disney Renaissance of the late 80s and early 90s; the hiring of Michael Eisner & Jeffrey Katzenberg and the success of Mermaid, Lion King, etc. It's made up almost entirely of home movies from inside the Disney Animation studio and its a great insight into the ups and downs of a brilliant period in animation.

I just watched Waking Sleeping Beauty.

Anyone with an interest in animation and specifically Disney should check this film out. It's about the Disney Renaissance of the late 80s and early 90s; the hiring of Michael Eisner & Jeffrey Katzenberg and the success of Mermaid, Lion King, etc. It's made up almost entirely of home movies from inside the Disney Animation studio and its a great insight into the ups and downs of a brilliant period in animation.
I'm looking forward to seeing this one as well.
Just finished watching A Magnificent Obsession, a very interesting documentary about the Z Channel.

there is a phenomenal documentary called MC5: True Testimonial. The film documents in great detail the revolutionary rock band The MC5. The stories in this film of the bands adventures are jaw dropping. My love for the band aside, its just a flat out fantastic documentary. Unfortunately, the doc was never officially released due to copyright issues. but you can often find promotional copies for sale on ebay. if you love a good rock doc, this is a necessity!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MC5-True-Testim..._Formats_ET&hash=item256083e166#ht_957wt_1141

_ Food Inc. A documentary about the food industry that feels more like a horror film and makes you think twice about what you put in your plate.
_ Burden of Dreams. The Making of Fitzcarraldo. A Must-See for any Herzog Fans. Just like Hearts of Darkness, as epic as the movie it depicts.

there is a phenomenal documentary called MC5: True Testimonial. The film documents in great detail the revolutionary rock band The MC5. The stories in this film of the bands adventures are jaw dropping. My love for the band aside, its just a flat out fantastic documentary. Unfortunately, the doc was never officially released due to copyright issues. but you can often find promotional copies for sale on ebay. if you love a good rock doc, this is a necessity!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MC5-True-Testim..._Formats_ET&hash=item256083e166#ht_957wt_1141
I'd like to see that. I enjoy a good Rock Documentary.

That one was a lot better than I was expecting. Also it's sad his brother actually died not too long ago and I'm certain steroids were related to his demise.

The ones I've seen this year

Catfish- The ending was really out there , you could see it coming but it's more emotional and was handled the right way

Restrepo- It's not really the most exciting film but you have to feel for what these soldiers go through .

That one was a lot better than I was expecting. Also it's sad his brother actually died not too long ago and I'm certain steroids were related to his demise.

The one who wanted to be a wrestler? Damn, that sucks. I wasn't aware.

I enjoyed Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

I thought this was an amazing documentary, it's like the most epic gangster movie made, but real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalC9mYeq5I&feature=fvst

The incredible story of Pablo Escobar, the infamous boss of Colombia's Medellin drug cartel, told for the very first time by his son, Sebastian and his widow Maria Isabel Santos.
In Nicolas Entel's film, showing in the True Stories strand, Sebastian tells of his extraordinary childhood, growing up with a father he loved but whom he knew to be Colombia's enemy number one. He tells of times of extraordinary luxury and extravagance, and other times on the run, and Sebastian and his widow open the family vaults to share their private and long hidden archives. He also meets with the sons of the late Colombian justice minister Rodrigo Lara Bonilla and the late presidential candidate Luis Carlos Galán, both killed on orders from Escobar after confronting his cocaine cartel. The film follows Sebastian as he tries to break the cycle of revenge and assassination by seeking reconciliation with the sons of his father's victims.

_ When We Were Kings. "Rumble in the Jungle". Ali at his greatest.

Yeah, I saw that one at an art house cinema when it came out, I have never been to a boxing match, but I think I got a taste of what a good one must be like to get into at a live event.

I don't know what it was called , but I saw a doc years ago on the wrestler Mick Foley, who is a v interesting character, it was a great doc, I'll have to track that one down, ask my friend about it.

_ Hearts of Darkness. Almost as crazy as the film that birthed it.

Yeah, I have not seen it in yrs, I lost my vhs that had it on it, which is doubly annoying as it also had my only cut of a wee 'doc' i made myself, with assembled gurellia footage me and my friends took in school, sneaking the camera into lessons etc.:csad: A truly phenomenal doc, amazing that it was made, of that production in particular of course.

_ My Best Fiend. When Klaus met Werner.

I watched this one a lot, I love Herzog's voice, and how he tells the story of Kinski, 'you could have shifted the bathroom through a tennis-racket.' lol
When i played in a terrible techno band at the time this was released, i used to try and liven things up by copying Kinski on his 'Jesus tour', using a part of his speech and building it up before a song started. 'In dees juice...!'
Basically, if you want a good laugh, stick this doc on, I read Kinski's 'autobiography' yrs ago too, also v funny.

Probably my all time fav doc is the BBC 'Arena' doc on Philip K Dick, my friend and I used to watch that all the time and quote it back to each other, just fantastic interviews with people telling stories about PKD very well. The writer Thomas M Disch is v funny talking about seperating the man from the myth he built up, 'If he ate dog food...it's because he enjoyed it...and I can see him now...'poor phil k dick...look at this great writer reduced to eating dog food'...and then, and only then would he eat the dog food.' lol, ah, you need to hear his voice telling that one.
Some good stories told by his wives as well. It's on youtube, i will link it up later on.

The BBC Arena doc on the Rolling Stones from 89 was v good as well, '25times 5', with extensive interviews with all the Stones, good stuff from Keith of course.

The BBC also made a good one on Captain Beefheart, telling the story on how during rehersals for 'Trout Mask Replica', they lived in the middle of nowhere in a shack, and he basically held them captive there, lol, only allowing one person at a time to leave to make the journey for food and supplies. That is one helluva crazy album to be shacked up for months rehersing as well, I can't even listen to it once all the way through, lol, too crazy for me.

They also made a pretty good one on the writer Charles Bukowski, called 'The ordinary madness of CB', I only got to see this recently on youtube as i missed it when it was on back in the day.

and whatever you think of him, I think old Whatshisface's docs are v well made, 'Roger and Me' was his best one though I think...jeeziz i am having a brain fart with his name. you know who i mean.

I thought this was an amazing documentary, it's like the most epic gangster movie made, but real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalC9mYeq5I&feature=fvst
I wish I could see it but it's blocked.
Another great gangster doc is "Mr. Untouchable", about one of the rivals of the character played by Denzel Washington in "American Gangster."
He is the one portrayed by Cuba Gooding Jr. in the film and I thought the doc was actually better than Ridley Scott's movie.
In a different genre, I also really enjoyed "the King of Kong" and "Grizzly Man". I like Herzog's docs as much as his movies in general.

Grizzly man's awsome.
To me, his documented behavour prior was more disturbing than the fact he and his girlfreind got munched.

Yeah, I saw that one at an art house cinema when it came out, I have never been to a boxing match, but I think I got a taste of what a good one must be like to get into at a live event.

I don't know what it was called , but I saw a doc years ago on the wrestler Mick Foley, who is a v interesting character, it was a great doc, I'll have to track that one down, ask my friend about it.

Yeah, I have not seen it in yrs, I lost my vhs that had it on it, which is doubly annoying as it also had my only cut of a wee 'doc' i made myself, with assembled gurellia footage me and my friends took in school, sneaking the camera into lessons etc.:csad: A truly phenomenal doc, amazing that it was made, of that production in particular of course.

I watched this one a lot, I love Herzog's voice, and how he tells the story of Kinski, 'you could have shifted the bathroom through a tennis-racket.' lol
When i played in a terrible techno band at the time this was released, i used to try and liven things up by copying Kinski on his 'Jesus tour', using a part of his speech and building it up before a song started. 'In dees juice...!'
Basically, if you want a good laugh, stick this doc on, I read Kinski's 'autobiography' yrs ago too, also v funny.

Probably my all time fav doc is the BBC 'Arena' doc on Philip K Dick, my friend and I used to watch that all the time and quote it back to each other, just fantastic interviews with people telling stories about PKD very well. The writer Thomas M Disch is v funny talking about seperating the man from the myth he built up, 'If he ate dog food...it's because he enjoyed it...and I can see him now...'poor phil k dick...look at this great writer reduced to eating dog food'...and then, and only then would he eat the dog food.' lol, ah, you need to hear his voice telling that one.
Some good stories told by his wives as well. It's on youtube, i will link it up later on.

The BBC Arena doc on the Rolling Stones from 89 was v good as well, '25times 5', with extensive interviews with all the Stones, good stuff from Keith of course.

The BBC also made a good one on Captain Beefheart, telling the story on how during rehersals for 'Trout Mask Replica', they lived in the middle of nowhere in a shack, and he basically held them captive there, lol, only allowing one person at a time to leave to make the journey for food and supplies. That is one helluva crazy album to be shacked up for months rehersing as well, I can't even listen to it once all the way through, lol, too crazy for me.

They also made a pretty good one on the writer Charles Bukowski, called 'The ordinary madness of CB', I only got to see this recently on youtube as i missed it when it was on back in the day.

and whatever you think of him, I think old Whatshisface's docs are v well made, 'Roger and Me' was his best one though I think...jeeziz i am having a brain fart with his name. you know who i mean.
Haha:woot:.
I agree Michael Moore's docs are very well made.
And the other docs you mentioned sound pretty cool.

I remember a great (multi-part) documentary that I saw once on MTV, I forgot what it was called but it was about Heavy Metal.
My favorite part was the 1st segment mostly about Black Sabbath and the birth of Metal in Birmingham. It would make a great movie.
I also liked a couple of docs I saw about Charles Manson which titles I can't remember either. That story has been done on TV, but I wouldn't mind seeing a feature film of it either.

Last edited:
Not Quite Hollywood is a great documentary about the "Ozploitation" film period in 70s'/80s Australia'. Lots of fun and realy makes you want to explore every film shown there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"