Harry Potter - The Complete Series Thread

They should just do a reunion every 7 years like the Seven Up series.

Can't view the trailer but based on the still of it Emma looks thrilled to be there:oldrazz:.

Not even that TERF can ruin this for me. Though she'll definitely try.
I don't think she's involved in this from what I've read which honestly makes me feel conflicted, but my support for the trans community isn't going to waiver over her.

Not even that TERF can ruin this for me. Though she'll definitely try.
LMAO the way you say that comes off like this will be a live special and that Rowling is gonna try and "Phantom of the Opera" the whole thing.

tumblr_ppv9jgwfGi1rt5uaz_400.gifv

I hope they announce an adult Harry Potter series at this special.

I watched the Return to Hogwarts special on HBO Max. It was especially sweet seeing the trio reminisce and it did get emotional at times. But even at an hour and 42 minutes, this special still could have gone on longer. My only complaint is that there were more than a few actors that were glossed over who didn't participate in the reunion but weren't even really mentioned all that much outside of film clips and BTS footage, like Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Imelda Staunton, and Jim Broadbent.
Besides that, there were so many involved in the production of the films that not even JK Rowling's antics could ruin this special. I'd even watch an hour of just Dan Radcliffe and Gary Oldman talking to each other.

I watched the Return to Hogwarts special on HBO Max. It was especially sweet seeing the trio reminisce and it did get emotional at times. But even at an hour and 42 minutes, this special still could have gone on longer. My only complaint is that there were more than a few actors that were glossed over who didn't participate in the reunion but weren't even really mentioned all that much outside of film clips and BTS footage, like Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Imelda Staunton, and Jim Broadbent.
Besides that, there were so many involved in the production of the films that not even JK Rowling's antics could ruin this special. I'd even watch an hour of just Dan Radcliffe and Gary Oldman talking to each other.
The Reunion was amazing. I got emotional several times.

It was too short, though. I could've watched 5 hours of this thing.
Sums up my thoughts very well. Even just a full 2 hours could have covered a lot more. It definitely felt weird having big names like Michael Gambon be such non-entities here. Like, they never even discussed the transition of casting and integrating a new Dumbledore.

I think the In Memoriam was hurt the most by cuts. It really felt rushed. Would have wanted more about Griffiths mentoring Dan (and especially about Equus, which was never mentioned) and more cast perspectives on working with Alan Rickman. Isaacs and Tom both tearing up remembering Helen McCrory - the most recent cast passing - definitely got me right in the feels. That and Robbie Coltrane's 'I won't be there, sadly. But Hagrid will.'

I reread the first three books and Chamber of Secrets has gone a lot down I think mostly from now finding Lockhart (though still sometimes funny) and Draco too annoying and otherwise it's just a little too similar to the first book and also the plot feels a bit too stretched out. The other characters are great, though. Rowling was really effective, especially in these early books, in making you love to hate Snape.

The Chamber of Secrets book had some of the best mystery elements of the entire series and has a great conclusion. It’s definitely a little more on the “kiddy” side compared to the later darker books.

Chamber of Secrets and Sorcerer's Stone are basically the same for me. SS is a great introduction to the world and the characters and COS has a more interesting "whodunit" aspect to the story and Harry taking on a giant basilisk was a nice touch. But we don't really start getting into the meat of the story until Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire.

In terms of the films, what will always boggle my mind is that Chamber of Secrets is the longest film in the series (if we're not counting Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 as one film, that is). If later, shorter films like Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince felt the need to remove important plot points entirely, then surely the same could have been done for Chamber of Secrets.

Like SS, COS was a shorter book, therefore you can include more. From what I remember, the only extraneous thing was the Death Day Party, but other than that that novel is a real murder mystery plot and they hit that perfectly. Kloves, who doesn't get enough credit writing those movies, always found the core of the books and knew what to retain.

I was flabbergasted to see his GOF script is in the 130 page range. To get a 800 page book into that many pages and be faithful blows me away.

Last edited:
I was flabbergasted to see his GOF script is in the 130 page range. To get a 800 page book into that many pages and be faithful blows me away.
I know some people were upset about what was cut from Goblet of Fire but there's a lot of fat that was trimmed when it came to adapting it to film. Basically the entire first ten chapters or so of the book are truncated into maybe 15ish minutes in the movie and you really don't miss all that much, especially since some characters like Winky the House Elf were removed entirely from the films.

I know some people were upset about what was cut from Goblet of Fire but there's a lot of fat that was trimmed when it came to adapting it to film. Basically the entire first ten chapters or so of the book are truncated into maybe 15ish minutes in the movie and you really don't miss all that much, especially since some characters like Winky the House Elf were removed entirely from the films.

SPEW works great in the books, but it's not very pertinent to the central conflict of Harry trying to survive the Triwizard Tournament and solve who put his name in the goblet of fire. Would I have liked to see the sphinxes in the maze? Sure, but the movie would have stopped to a dead halt if Harry has to stop and solve some riddles before getting to Voldemort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"