The Economy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps because of too much regulation???

Too be fair I think that this is a case of the economy going down because of not enough regulation in three instances:

1. Gas Prices, it's blatantly obvious that there is price gouging going on here and our government is letting this happen. The gas prices are causing higher prices and people are cutting back because of higher gas prices and higher prices.

2. Banks, banks were too damn stupid this time causing the housing crisis. They lended way too much to people who could not afford them. The really sad part about this is now banks and people are expecting a bailout because of banker and consumer stupidity.

3. The falling dollar, our government allowed the value of the dollar to go down way too far and too fast.

2. Banks, banks were too damn stupid this time causing the housing crisis. They lended way too much to people who could not afford them. The really sad part about this is now banks and people are expecting a bailout because of banker and consumer stupidity.

This goes back to my point of people not wanting to live within their means....just because you think you can afford to buy a home doesn't mean you should....or maybe instead of refinancing and buying a brand new SUV, maybe you should have socked that money away....

This goes back to my point of people not wanting to live within their means....just because you think you can afford to buy a home doesn't mean you should....or maybe instead of refinancing and buying a brand new SUV, maybe you should have socked that money away....

I completely agree with that but banks were far too willing to lend to consumers who did not live within their means. It really comes down to the fault of both the consumer and the banks.

Too be fair I think that this is a case of the economy going down because of not enough regulation in three instances:

1. Gas Prices, it's blatantly obvious that there is price gouging going on here and our government is letting this happen. The gas prices are causing higher prices and people are cutting back because of higher gas prices and higher prices.

-Its not up to the government to set market prices. I think if the government had very little to do with it, then you would see a price decrease or a massively produced alternative fuel being produced right now. And because of the value of the dollar sliding (which the government has a lot to do with) gas prices went up.

-I agree. Whats happening though is the Federal Reserve is bailing out these companies by giving them free money and not letting the market run its natural course. The companies (banks) make a stupid decision then they pay for it. The market can deal with this situation. The banks would go out of business and new ones, that learned from their mistakes, would take their place. The government shouldn't even be involved with this situation. All they will do is make things worse.

3. The falling dollar, our government allowed the value of the dollar to go down way too far and too fast.

-The government was the problem. They printed to much money dumped it into the money supply and it lowered the value of the dollar. The best thing the government can do is stop spending so much and stop printing money. Let the markets regulate themselves (I know some regulation is needed) and let our system correct itself.

Side note: I haven't been here in a while I didn't even know SHH had a politics board. How you been supermanbeyond?

-The government was the problem. They printed to much money dumped it into the money supply and it lowered the value of the dollar. The best thing the government can do is stop spending so much and stop printing money. Let the markets regulate themselves (I know some regulation is needed) and let our system correct itself.

Side note: I haven't been here in a while I didn't even know SHH had a politics board. How you been supermanbeyond?

Um...banks are practically begging for government regulation now. As some previous posters have already explained, stupid decisions on the banks' and consumers' parts have led to the current crisis. To blame this on the government seems to be over-fixating on a singular issue.

littlefootqn3.gif

Um...banks are practically begging for government regulation now. As some previous posters have already explained, stupid decisions on the banks' and consumers' parts have led to the current crisis. To blame this on the government seems to be over-fixating on a singular issue.

littlefootqn3.gif

-What I'm saying is that whether or not the bankers or consumers are begging for help, the federal government should not be involved. Thats the problem. Both parties made bad decisions and now they have to live with the conseqences. The federal government shouldn't be involved.

-What I'm saying is that whether or not the bankers or consumers are begging for help, the federal government should not be involved. Thats the problem. Both parties made bad decisions and now they have to live with the conseqences. The federal government shouldn't be involved.
But the problem originated because the government allowed the banks to do whatever they want. Almost every depression or recession is preceded by a period of light regulation and heavy credit-spending amongst consumers. It's not the defining factor for a recession or depression, but to ignore the significance of a lack of regulation is ignoring the issue entirely, or so it seems to me.

But the problem originated because the government allowed the banks to do whatever they want. Almost every depression or recession is preceded by a period of light regulation and heavy credit-spending amongst consumers. It's not the defining factor for a recession or depression, but to ignore the significance of a lack of regulation is ignoring the issue entirely, or so it seems to me.

Well said.

NormanSchwarzkopf.jpg

I've been great, it's been a long time. Check out the FairTax Thread, it really blew up. The Politics Forum is new as of January.

I agree, the Government needs to spend less, print less money, and cut taxes. More Taxation is not the key when the people need more Disposible Income.

littlefootqn3.gif
You may not remember this, but the Government pressured the Banks to lend more to people, which caused a boom in the housing market about 3 years ago. The Banks were told by the Government to allow more flexibility standards in their Credit Evaluations.

You may not remember this, but the Government pressured the Banks to lend more to people, which caused a boom in the housing market about 3 years ago. The Banks were told by the Government to allow more flexibility standards in their Credit Evaluations.

Yeah--that's called a lack of regulation. You may not remember this, but there was a recession in the 1970s...and a depression in the 1930s...and another series of depressions and recessions in the 1800s...all caused at least partially by over-spending. Don't get patronizing. To fully appreciate the economic situation, one must consider things historically--again, the economy works in cycles.

I've been great, it's been a long time. Check out the FairTax Thread, it really blew up. The Politics Forum is new as of January.

-January huh? Wow I haven't been here in a while.

I agree, the Government needs to spend less, print less money, and cut taxes. More Taxation is not the key when the people need more Disposible Income.

-Seems pretty cut and dry doesn't it.

Yeah--that's called a lack of regulation. You may not remember this, but there was a recession in the 1970s...and a depression in the 1930s...and another series of depressions and recessions in the 1800s...all caused at least partially by over-spending. Don't get patronizing. To fully appreciate the economic situation, one must consider things historically--again, the economy works in cycles.

-So if the government wouldn't have gotten involved then maybe the housing market wouldn't have been as bad? If that is the case then wouldn't it be better if the government would keep its nose out of the natural flow of the markets. If the government pressured banks to lend more isn't that a form of regulation?

-So if the government wouldn't have gotten involved then maybe the housing market wouldn't have been as bad? If that is the case then wouldn't it be better if the government would keep its nose out of the natural flow of the markets. If the government pressured banks to lend more isn't that a form of regulation?
No, it didn't force them to. And it wasn't monitoring their expenditures--oversight is a sign of regulation. Suggestion is not. Before this continues, are you familiar with US economic history? Because if not, I'd recommend you at least read about the Great Depression before replying.

Norman, this may because I'm a bit drunk/ tired, but who is the fine military man in that picture above? I can't seem to put a name to a face.

Norman, this may because I'm a bit drunk/ tired, but who is the fine military man in that picture above? I can't seem to put a name to a face.

Norman's namesake: General "Stormin'" Norman Schwarzkopf

Meh, That would imply the banks werent more then happy to lend to every loser.They were.
Speaking of cycles tho-Now its all going to go back to the way it use to be.No more "100% no money down loans".It'll all go back to the way it was when our parents bought their homes(us 30 somethings) Where you're going to have to put at least 20% down. And thats not such a bad thing.In fact, thats the way it should be

Meh, That would imply the banks werent more then happy to lend to every loser.They were.
Speaking of cycles tho-Now its all going to go back to the way it use to be.No more "100% no money down loans".It'll all go back to the way it was when our parents bought their homes(us 30 somethings) Where you're going to have to put at least 20% down. And thats not such a bad thing.In fact, thats the way it should be
Exactly. Just the Reset button hurts a little, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Just curious as to why you think this would be a good thing? The current housing crisis has less to do with ltvs and more to do with exotic loan products and fraudulent lending practices. 80/20 fixed loans still allow alot of first-time homeowners into the market, and there's not nearly the risk of the ARM loans that were introduced with teaser rates, which is the biggest problem in the housing crisis. Also, when the economy was steamrolling, alot of fly-by-night loan companies started introducing really questionable products, like stated income loans.

^ We'll have to continue this discusion when im able to type more than two sentances without getting logged out,..Right now I have to go shave the batsignal into the back of my head

For those that think the Rich just keep getting Richer:
Average U.S. Income Showed First Rise Over 2000
Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints Share
LinkedinDiggFacebookMixxYahoo! BuzzPermalink

By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON
Published: August 25, 2008
Americans enjoyed higher average income in 2006 for the first time since 2000, when the last economic expansion ended, the latest tax data show.

Skip to next paragraph

The New York Times

Related
Times Topics: U.S. EconomyAdjusted gross income reported on tax returns in 2006 averaged $58,029. In 2006 dollars that was an increase of $739, or 1.2 percent, from the $57,289 average in 2000, analysis of Internal Revenue Service data showed.

Total income increased by $619.2 billion or 8.3 percent, all of which went to those making more than $75,000, and 42 percent of which went to the roughly one in 400 taxpayers who made more than $1 million in 2006.

Average income fell sharply in 2001 and in 2002, when it dropped to $51,870, off nearly 10 percent from 2000, tax data show. The average grew slightly in 2003.

Average income grew significantly in 2004, rising $2,291, and again in 2005, when the average increased by $2,210. Income growth continued in 2006, but at a much slower pace, increasing by $1,369 over the 2005 average once inflation is taken into account.

Salaries and wages, by far the largest source of income, nearly returned to the 2000 average in 2006. However, among the highest-paid workers, both total and average wages fell, an indication of how the Internet bubble had concentrated gains among a relatively few workers.

The average wage in 2006 was $46,996, down $101, or a fraction of 1 percent, from $47,097 in 2000. Average wages in this decade hit a low of $45,956 in 2003, the I.R.S. data show.

Among workers with salaries of less than $1 million, the average wage in 2006 was up $170 from 2000.

However, salaries fell noticeably among the tiny slice of taxpayers whose total income was $1 million or more, a threshold that the I.R.S. does not adjust for inflation. The number of wage earners in this high-income group soared over six years, up 42.9 percent, to 285,759 of the 116.4 million taxpayers reporting wages in 2006.

Despite this rise in the number of high-wage earners, their total wages declined by $2.4 billion, or almost 1 percent, to $313.3 billion.

The decline in total wages at the top was solely among the narrow segment of wage earners with total income of $5 million or more, the same group that was the big winner from dot-com era stock options, reported as wages on tax returns. The average wage of these 33,309 workers fell almost 37 percent, to $3.5 million in 2006 from $5.5 million in 2000, analysis of the tax data showed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/business/economy/26income.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Middle Incomes increased, while those that make over $1 Million fell.

The fundamental problems with the current American economy have nothing at all do with any sitting president of the last 90 years. The only thing any president can do is stifle or delay the inevitable. There are mechanisms in place that have assured we would reach a breaking point somewhere down the road, and now it's looking to be sooner rather than later.

Economic depressions are cyclic. In every economy in the world, depressions occur approximately every 50 years. We were due for another deprssion - and would have experienced one in the 80's - had it not been for 'Reaganomics,' and yet another under Clinton in the 90's had he not been so suave with shuffling money around from one part of our government to another.

The problem is that had we experienced a depression in the 80's or even the 90's, it would have been MUCH less severe than the one we are about to experience ...

In 1980, our total public debt (including everything) was around 11 trillion. Since then, it has quadrupled to 44 trillion, and is expected to double from 44 trillion to around 90 - 100 trillion just five to ten years from now ...

Why is this happening? Here's a great article that I've copied only part of below, along with some of my own edits for clarity: http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1095269452.php

Federal Reserve Act: Believe it or not, the fact is that the Federal Reserve is OWNED by The Bank of England and receives absolutely no oversight by our government save for the one who is appointed chairman of the Fed. However, although the President of the United States appoints the chairman of the Fed, and this appointment is approved by the United States Senate, the decisions of the Fed do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive branch of the United States government. Established in 1913, the Federal Reserve System is an independent central bank buried in legislation that maintains total power over the monetary policies of all US banks. A very curious statement is found in the original 1913 law. SEC. 30: The right to amend, alter, or repeal this Act is hereby expressly reserved.

But reserved expressly to whom or what? No definition is provided ...

Sec. 341:: To have succession for a period of twenty years from its organization unless it is sooner dissolved by an Act of Congress, or unless its franchise becomes forfeited by some violation of law.

The Federal Reserve was only given a corporate life of 20 years! Their time was up in 1933 ... Who was President at that time? Franklin. D. Roosevelt, of course. Somehow, the Federal Reserve's termination did not occur. There exists NO reauthorization of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, other than the tacit approval given by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.

OWNERSHIP OF THE FEDERAL RESERVE - Most Americans, if they know anything at all about the Federal Reserve, believe it is an agency of the United States Government. This article charts the true nature of the "National Bank." Chart 1 Source: ** Federal Reserve Directors: A Study of Corporate and Banking Influence ** - - Published 1976 Chart 1 reveals the linear connection between the Rothschilds and the Bank of England, and the London banking houses which ultimately control the Federal Reserve Banks through their stockholdings of bank stock and their subsidiary firms in New York. The two principal Rothschild representatives in New York, J. P. Morgan Co., and Kuhn, Loeb & Co. were the firms which set up the Jekyll Island Conference at which the Federal Reserve Act was drafted, who directed the subsequent successful campaign to have the plan enacted into law by Congress, and who purchased the controlling amounts of stock in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in 1914. These firms had their principal officers appointed to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors and the Federal Advisory Council in 1914. In 1914 a few families (blood or business related) owning controlling stock in existing banks (such as in New York City) caused those banks to purchase controlling shares in the Federal Reserve regional banks. Examination of the charts and text in the House Banking Committee Staff Report of August, 1976 and the current stockholders list of the 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks show this same family control. Note that the 12 Federal Reserve Banks are owned and operated by PRIVATE BANKERS whose sole purpose is to accumulate wealth.

In a nutshell, the Federal Reserve is debasing the value of the American dollar by flooding the world economy with American currency. Since, unlike most countries, America is a 'credit society,' the debt continues to climb indefinitely. Every time someone gets a home loan, that debt piles onto the rest and ultimately the value of that purchase (the REAL money) is transferred to the Federal Reserve and thus to The Bank of England. However, Americans live on the belief that more is better when in reality our country was never intended to extend credit that is guaranteed and/or funded by the U.S. Government. Under the Federal Reserve, this is exactly what we have become. Thus, most Americans live under the illusion of monetary wealth when in reality most Americans actually own (free of credit) almost nothing...

The Federal Reserve will always debase the currency to take its cut, and guarantee that the government has a tax base available to feed its bureaucratic family. The government is a total slave of the Federal Reserve. For example, analyze the latest real estate boom. There will be a major boost in property taxes based on the new valuations. Many people will be surprised when they receive their new tax bill. This will guarantee more money for the government coffers. They know that people will do almost anything to keep their homes. What's another job or two per family? Besides, the extra job will provide more tax revenue for the government. This will require more day care, or baby-sitting services for many families, which create more income for the government. This will cause more meals to be eaten out, which creates more revenue for the government Meanwhile, prices will continue to go up, which creates more sales tax revenue for the government. However, deflation is end of the government, which makes one wonder if our economy is being systematically manipulated in order to eventually a) transfer massive amounts of wealth from the U.S. to the EU and b) reduce the U.S. to a mere agricultural country on par with some third world countries.

This is the strategy of the Federal Reserve. The majority of the people will always believe that more is better. Knowing that, and now having a democracy ensconced in the US, it is time to feed and breed. Prices always go up, and everything is "Wunnerful, Wunnerful." Bring on the Champagne Lady. Alan runs the bubble machine. The illusion of money has destroyed most people since society (goverment) developed socialism. Democracy feeds on the illusion of something for nothing. As each demagogue promises more than his competition, the tax burden becomes oppressive. The monetary illusion serves to conceal the costs through currency debasement. This assures the complete destruction of the society that embraces this perversion. Any attempt to introduce logic into a dialogue will be defeated by claiming you're an elitist devoid of compassion. Envy, hate, and manipulated passions are the hallmark of democracies. While all this destruction is occurring, money diverted by the mechanism of currency debasement is constantly being transferred to the British Crown in the City of London.

You should all be out buying gold and storing up on food. When the crash comes, and it WILL come VERY SOON, it's going to be a LONG winter for the U.S. and quite a few other countries around the world who rely on its 'free money' (credit) system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"