The Fall of Paula Deen

I didn't really think you did suggest it. I just didn't like the phrase "ignorant southerner". I may be hyper-sensitive to such things as it happens so frequently online. No hard feelings.
I truly do understand because that is a bad habit of the interwebs. It is unfair to lable all people from any region one thing. I'm even trying to stop saying that as a joke because some people don't take it that way. If I had written that all white people from the south are racist in a serious manner I would have apologized after you confronted me because I know when I am wrong. No one is perfect on racial issues, we all have things to deal with. My problem is the people who don't want to address their racist feelings and make an effort to change. I'm not perfect and thus I'm not asking Paula Deen to be perfect. This thread is about her dumb racial comments but I've been careful to bring up that I disliked her before this. I think that diabetes drug hocking scheme showed me how terrible of a person she was before this. If anything this is just the icing on the butter cake ya'll, AKA further proof that she and even more so her brother are awful people.

I didn't really think you did suggest it. I just didn't like the phrase "ignorant southerner". I may be hyper-sensitive to such things as it happens so frequently online. No hard feelings.

To his defense, he did say "one of those".

They fired her for saying the N-word back in the 60s? Give me a break. And people were/are up in arms about this?

Where were these same people when that boy from San Antonio got called an illegal, w-back(don't know if I can type out the word), a beaner and other harsh things from both whites and blacks?

If he wasn't famous then no one will give a crap. She has a tv show therefor she must be perfect or else we must DESTROY HER!

The price of celebrity.

Oh so now we're going with the "being a celebrity means the consequences are harsher" thing? Because the very fact that Lindsay Lohan isn't rotting behind bars proves that false.

Oh so now we're going with the "being a celebrity means the consequences are harsher" thing? Because the very fact that Lindsay Lohan isn't rotting behind bars proves that false.

To be fair, a large part of that is corruption in Los Angeles.

Me no talky good. I just spent nine hours in a 40C+ bakery so my mind isn't all together yet. I'm just saying even if its something stupid there's a good chance it will get blown out of proportion and could ruin a career or in some cases actually bettered a career from the attention. I barely know anything about her and find this whole thing stupid.

They fired her for saying the N-word back in the 60s? Give me a break. And people were/are up in arms about this?

Where were these same people when that boy from San Antonio got called an illegal, w-back(don't know if I can type out the word), a beaner and other harsh things from both whites and blacks?
That is not even close to the only thing she did. This is what the people defending her want to PRETEND that's all she did. It simply is not the case. Look into it further if you're truly interested.

I think the Food Network was a little trigger happy here. The things she said were idiotic and reprehensible, but come on... Charlie Sheen has ****ing shot someone and there are networks that will still throw wads of cash at the idiot. Matthew Broderick has killed people and he's still working. :o

Unless you find a white hood in her closet, I'm going to call her firing/possible blackballing an overreaction.

what if she has used the 'k' word in reference to jewish people? would it still be an overreaction?

what if she has used the 'k' word in reference to jewish people? would it still be an overreaction?

Eh. That was poorly worded and I've changed my tune, the more I've read about this. She deserves what she got.

It's not like she just one day uncharacteristically dropped the "N bomb". It sounds more like years, and years of gross racially insensitive attitude.

That is not even close to the only thing she did. This is what the people defending her want to PRETEND that's all she did. It simply is not the case. Look into it further if you're truly interested.
Some of the defenders are just being willfully ignorant and that goes for her defenders of every race. If the defenders said innocent until proven guilty in relation to her and her brother's legal troubles that I can understand but the "she only said the N. Word once 20 years ago why is this happening!"crap is pure bull.

And also why do some only think specifically white on black racism only means some extreme crap like the KKK hanging someone? There are different levels of racism.

Also freedom of speech doesn't mean that you get to keep your million dollar job at food network. Food Network had every right to fire her if they thought she was going to hurt their brand. Don't worry she will get back on Food Network after all this has blown over.

This is an interesting story to talk about but truthfully I'm more concerned with SCOTUS striking down an important part of the voting rights act than I am an old fool killing her butter hocking career.

SCOTUS just dropped the ball in a far bigger way and it'll take over the news coverage now letting Paula Deen hide away for the 2-3 years of "atonement" she'll need before being forgiven even though she shouldn't be on the network anymore for her health-killing cooking above all else.

I'm not rustled by her cooking--you should know copious amounts of butter are bad for you. I'm more interested in finding out why Paula wanted to do the plantation reenactment. Bourdain's comments will be fun to read, too.

It was her brother's wedding theme. I didn't find the plantation theme to be all that wrong honestly, everyone has some theme they want for their Wedding; It's when she wanted black caterers to act as slaves, even for a hot second, where she needed to be smacked upside the head.

I'm not rustled by her cooking--you should know copious amounts of butter are bad for you. I'm more interested in finding out why Paula wanted to do the plantation reenactment. Bourdain's comments will be fun to read, too.

The answer to that depends on who you ask. Her defenders will say that she's just a true southern belle.

Which is ridiculous.

I don't doubt she is.

People seem to forget that Southern Belles were racist as hell.

It was her brother's wedding theme. I didn't find the plantation theme to be all that wrong honestly, everyone has some theme they want for their Wedding; It's when she wanted black caterers to act as slaves, even for a hot second, where she needed to be smacked upside the head.
I disagree. Having a plantation themed wedding would be just as horrible and distasteful as a Holocaust concentration camp themed wedding. It's basically trying to glorify a terrible chapter in human history.

Being a cooking show I have the naive belief it should be about healthy cooking. I know reality is they could care less but it's also one reason I don't watch their network either.

Eh, honestly, while I agree the Deens are pretty ignorant people, I think they just wanted a theme to dress up to.

Idk, I just don't find it to be one of the worst wedding themes I've heard of.

You mean there are worse themed weddings you have heard of? I don't mean things people jokingly say but have actually considered. I've heard of some terrible themes but none were so blatantly offensive as a plantation wedding complete with "slave" attendants.

I disagree. Having a plantation themed wedding would be just as horrible and distasteful as a Holocaust concentration camp themed wedding. It's basically trying to glorify a terrible chapter in human history.

That's going a bit far.

Again, I'm not referring to the slaves portion as ok, I'm referring to the fashion of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"