The fighting

The fighting is easily what's going to make it or break it for me. I am adamantly against a lot of the ideas the film is using so far, but honestly, if the fighting is a certain way, I'll defend this thing to my death.

Dragon Ball Z has always had the most REALISTIC fighting action of any cartoon show of all time. It IS the best action cartoon of all time. Of any characters that have supernatural powers, DBZ has the most realistic portrayal of how they would work in the real world. With the explanations of being able to fly by manipulating "chi" energy, to the super-speed fighting done by the hero and villain from the perspective of the regular people on the ground as seeing blurs zip around in the air, DBZ cannot be beat.

The movie needs to get reinvent wire-work completely. All wire-work I've ever seen has looked "floaty" and you could tell they're working with wires. None of it looks "heavy" like the hits are actually connecting, no impact. Old-school Chinese Kung-Fu movies relied a lot on this floaty wire-work and the first person to try to move away from this was Bruce Lee. He hated that stuff.

Now, if you watch DBZ, it's the "heaviest", hardest-hitting action around. Every time someone gets knocked into a mountain, it freaking FEELS like they just got knocked into a mountain. The hits physically hurt to look at. And it's not just the blood or gore, simple martial arts choreography looks amazing. The animation is brilliant.

If the fighting in this movie deals with super-powered individuals, it better be heavy, realistic, and fast. If that means using a lot of GC to portray this, all the better, but the fact that this thing comes out in like 6 months and they're still filming leads me to believe they won't use a lot of CG, if any. So if they're doing wire-work, then like I said, I hope they found a way to make that stuff look heavy, way heavier than anything in "The One." I just want this thing to make Bruce Lee proud.

To clarify, this isn't Dragonball Z. This is DRAGON BALL.

Dragonball doesn't have the huge earth-destroying KI blasts and enemies that can destroy solar systems. King Piccolo wanted to rule earth, and he could if Goku wasn't there, but he probably would never have the power to do anything more than that.

But yeah I see where your coming from. They need to make it look real.

To clarify, this isn't Dragonball Z. This is DRAGON BALL.

Dragonball doesn't have the huge earth-destroying KI blasts and enemies that can destroy solar systems. King Piccolo wanted to rule earth, and he could if Goku wasn't there, but he probably would never have the power to do anything more than that.

But yeah I see where your coming from. They need to make it look real.

Well, the Demon King had the strength to level cities with his chi attacks and Ma Jr. was even stronger. I think his battle with Goku was probably the most intense in the series and created the battle style that would be used in DBZ.

Since this movie is about the battle between Goku and Piccolo I would say the fighting should be pretty "heavy"...

This is where this movie will lead if all goes well:

[YT]jJ5c9J69k74[/YT]

Like the matrix trilogy it starts small then goes insane. So for the first movie i expect very few moneyshot moments where things get supernatural.

Oh **** I can't believe I'm typing about a real live action dragon ball movie :wow: I need a moment...

ok I'm back.

Before we get to the matrix insanity, it has to be like Ong Bak Thai Warrior or i'm out and done with this and curse the entire crew behind it.

Just look at this movie:

See?

I left a comment on that Matrix Vid a while back saying it was a Dragonball fight, its on page 2

I've been thinking for a while, and really besides Chow-yun-fat, none of the cast really has any martial arts experience. How do you think they will go about the action sequences? All "normal" and coreographed like a Jet Li movie, or "insanely unrealistic" and completely superhuman, like the Matrix (except on a more over-the-top level) Since alot of the movie seems more realistic than the normal series, I'm starting to wonder.....:huh:

Ah hah!! This is where you are wrong!! Chow Yun Fat was not a martial artist at all before Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. He says so in the movie's commentary I believe. He was mostly known before then for his work in Hong Kong shoot 'em up movies. It was through intense training he learned to handle a sword and fight. I'm sure the other actors in Dragonball can do the same.

Actually, it could depend a lot on which fights are going to be portrayed. Thinking about Masters' character in the series, King Piccolo, he did quite a bit of “fighting” without moving a whole lot... he relied on ki abilities, and otherwise non-martial skills (like arm stretching, egg-laying and so on) so much more than Gokuh.

Ah hah!! This is where you are wrong!! Chow Yun Fat was not a martial artist at all before Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. He says so in the movie's commentary I believe. He was mostly known before then for his work in Hong Kong shoot 'em up movies. It was through intense training he learned to handle a sword and fight. I'm sure the other actors in Dragonball can do the same.

I don't know about that G2K. Hong Kong actors and actresses are used to a much more rigorous shooting style. They are pretty much pounded into the ground and a lot of them are expected to do their own stuntwork. I don't know how committed an American cast can be to a work schedule like that...unless Chatwin surprises the hell out of me by actually putting in some Christian Bale type work in this movie.

easy...

haterade.gif

i drink it proudly:o

I don't know about that G2K. Hong Kong actors and actresses are used to a much more rigorous shooting style. They are pretty much pounded into the ground and a lot of them are expected to do their own stuntwork. I don't know how committed an American cast can be to a work schedule like that...unless Chatwin surprises the hell out of me by actually putting in some Christian Bale type work in this movie.

you never know. he might surprise us all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"