• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

World The Flash 1990 TV series

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
This is a thread to talk about the old show.

Favorite episode(s).

Least favorite episode(s).

Costume.

Compare it to the new show if you like, as the OP I don't have an issue with that.

My favorite episode is Captain Cold. The dude cracked corny ice puns as bad as Arnold's Mr. Freeze, but he was still a competent opponent who gave Flash a hard time. In fact, of all the villains in the series, he came the closest to actually killing Barry. The scene where he escapes from jail was done well too.

My least favorite... probably Twin Streaks for two related reasons. First, I prefer that my heroes face enemies who are at least as competent as they are; the Blue Flash was not. Secondly, why not just use the actual Reverse Flash. They substituted a smarter opponent for a dumber one; why?

Despite the missteps, I can still enjoy this series even with the 2014 series now on the air.

Last edited:
I liked the Nightshade episodes, the Trickster episodes, the Captain Cold episode, and the Mirror Master episode the most. It was tough to buy Captain Cold as a ruthless hitman rather than his traditional Rogue depiction, but it was still fun to watch.

My least favorite was probably the one where Tina goes evil for a while. I just couldn't buy her as a villain even with the circumstances that led to it being out of her control. I also didn't dig the one about Barry's dad's cop past coming back to bite them.

Overall it's still a decent series. Some of the humor and effects haven't aged well, but on the whole it's much more watchable than contemporary live action comic shows like Swamp Thing or Superboy, or later shows like Smallville, Birds of Prey, or Lois and Clark. I'd put it about on par with the first season of Arrow (season 2 was better, season 3 is so far worse).

I love seeing John Wesley Shipp, Amanda Pays, and Mark Hamill coming to the new show. The new show is WAY better than the old one but it's still good to see that they haven't forgotten about it.

I love the costume, this could be my favorite design for Flash suit in live action.
I love how Trickster and Prank in the final episode served as warm up for Joker & Harley in Batman:TAS.
My least favorite... probably Twin Streaks for two related reasons. First, I prefer that my heroes face enemies who are at least as competent as they are; the Blue Flash was not. Secondly, why not just use the actual Reverse Flash. They substituted a smarter opponent for a dumber one; why?
It was an interesting idea.
Pollux still had the mind of a child, it was interesting, and it's one of my favorite episodes.

I personally liked the old show & thought the costume was pretty good for it's time. The episodes were really good as well, I especially liked Mark Hamill as The Trickster.

I saw the pilot again, and this is probably the only version of Flash not impressed by having super speed at start, and wanted to be normal again.

I honestly don't think there is a bad episode, it has a few that are just OK but none are bad. Such a great show, wish it had gotten at least one more season.

I have the DVD box set, but for those who don't all episodes of 90s Flash are streaming free on cwseed.com

It's the same site they have the Vixen webseries on, which is in-universe with the modern Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Constantine shows.

Thinking about buying this on Amazon. I'll probably go through with it, although I've never seen it. Even as a huge fan of the Flash.

Thinking about buying this on Amazon. I'll probably go through with it, although I've never seen it. Even as a huge fan of the Flash.

I'm honestly not sure you will like it, I watched it as a kid so it held a lot of nostalgia for me. I really don't think there's a bad episode though and it really picks up (after a great pilot) about midway through the season when they start using the comic book villains. The pilot, the time travel episode and two Trickster episodes are the best of the show IMO.

Watch a few episodes on cwseed.com if you're not sure.

Like all the DC shows of the era (Superboy, Swamp Thing, Flash), it seems to get a hell of a lot better in the second half of the first season.

Bumping the thread to mention that the show has now been confirmed to officially exist within the confines of the Arrowverse's internal Multiverse.

Watch a few episodes on cwseed.com if you're not sure.

Like all the DC shows of the era (Superboy, Swamp Thing, Flash), it seems to get a hell of a lot better in the second half of the first season.

I'm honestly not sure you will like it, I watched it as a kid so it held a lot of nostalgia for me. I really don't think there's a bad episode though and it really picks up (after a great pilot) about midway through the season when they start using the comic book villains. The pilot, the time travel episode and two Trickster episodes are the best of the show IMO.

I bought it and I got through the first 5 or 6 episodes so far. I liked most of the episodes so far and I've heard it only gets better. I just haven't had time to pick it back up yet.

Great series! I like it better than the new one. I'll probably elaborate more later.

Wow checked out the series, have to say there is something that seems more heroic about JWS :up: It really feels like a legit superhero, more so than our current Flash series. Made before I was born so kinda weird in that way though lol.

Hi everyone, Tom here! New to the boards here but joined because a friend of mine and myself do a podcast called The Rewatch Podcast and we've gone through Sliders and Lois and Clark so far and our NEXT focus is going to be THIS SHOW itself!

If you guys like the original Flash series maybe you can join us in our rewatch. We cover two episodes every week and do a synopsis for each, search for interesting tidbits about the various episodes, then discuss our thoughts on them.

I'll be back to let you know once we actually get it started. We are on a break at the moment, having covered Lois and Clark no stop for the past year, so stay tuned!

Had the 1990 Flash TV series w/ John Wesley Shipp had lasted beyond one season, could you have seen it expand to include the 1989 Batman universe?

I am well aware that in one episode, they play it off that the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton movie was just that a movie. Basically Barry Allen is walking out of a movie theater that was showing a double feature of the 1978 Superman movie w/ Christopher Reeve and the 1989 Batman movie. And in another episode, Barry mentions Lois Lane in the context of her only being a fictional character.

I bring this up because CBS was clearly influenced by the massive success of Batman when they put "The Flash" on the air. They even went as far as to recruit Danny Elfman to do the main theme tune. And plus the color hues and lighting and the way that Flash's suit was designed was clearly inspired by Batman.

My favorite episode was the pilot

Can't believe this show actually went through with a time travel episode. That's my favourite episode so far, but I have a few left.

JWS is still the best live action Flash. He comes across very heroic and his Barry Allen is pretty darn accurate to how I'd imagine a live action Barry would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• Lily Adler
    🔥🍨Getting hot scoops🍨🔥 (she/her)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"